FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A Classics Discussion Group (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: A Classics Discussion Group
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
For the record -- I have not abandoned this thread. I hope others haven't as well.

Here's my proof in the form of, imo, provocative passages from each of the three plays (Ted Hughes translation).

From _Agamemnon_. The Chorus confronts Clytemnestra after she murders her husband and wonders at her act:

quote:
Where is the right and wrong
In this nightmare?
Each becomes the ghost of the other.
Each is driven mad
By the ghost of the other.
Who can reason it out?
Reason, fails, mind is a casualty
Of this bloody succession.

From _Choephori_. The Chorus urges Orestes to seek revenge against his mother:

quote:
Now let your will, like your grief,
Be stronger than life.
The past is stronger than life --
Nothing can alter it.
Now let that terrible past, like a tempered weapon,
Become your will.
Be fearless, to rip open
The future's secret.
The justice you bring
Is stronger than life.
Assume that strength.

From _The Eumenides_. Athene to the Chorus of Furies, distraught over Orestes' acquittal:

quote:
You call for justice.
But God speaks through me.
Only I, Pallas Athene,
Possess the key
That unlocks the thunderbolt of Zeus.
But the time of brute force
Is past.
The day of reasoned persuasion,
With its long vision,
With its mercy, its forgiveness,
Has arrived.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aka
Member # 139

- posted      Profile for aka   Email aka         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow.

I'm so glad this thread has not been abandoned! Zalmoxis rules!

Posts: 5509 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Another for the record:

A quote frome Slate movie critic David Edelstein's review of "Troy":

quote:
(The fate of King Agamemnon will make those who know The Oresteia —- merely the cornerstone of Western drama —- scratch their heads.)
I have no objections to changes in the story made for Petersen's film -- although I probably won't be seeing it anytime soon. Not because I'm against seeing it but because it's not high up on the list at the moment.

But here's the thing:

The story of Troy is all well and fine and epic. But if you want the whole story, you really need to read the three plays that form the Oresteia. Not only is the work a thrilling, bloody, tragic family drama, but it is an important bridge between the world of Troy and the world of Western Civilization as we know (and live) it. It hints at the move from the tribal to the civic.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

One more quote from The Orestia

Athene commends the Chorus of Furies for agreeing to drop their blood vengeance claim against Orestes and integrate themselves into the life of Athens:

quote:
The presence of God in persuasion
Draws the poison fangs of evil,
Undoes the knotted mesh of brooding hatred.
In the gentle combat of persuasion
Good wins over good with goodness
And none lose.

The Chorus replies:

quote:
There is no hope nor future
For a land
Whose mind is split
Into two, and where each half
Strives only to destroy the other.
Give Athens a single mind, a whole mind,
As a marriage
Gives to two strangers
One child.

ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Zal, that's an awesome quote! <Edit: Both are awesome but I was referring to the second one.>

I abandoned the Orestia for the moment and not sure when I'll finish, but I am digging your commentary on it.

My friend Sasha who got me to actually read Kafka instead of keeping the wrong idea I had of him and so ignoring him forever, has started a story which I really like. If he writes more I may ask him for permission to show it to you and get your commentary on it. To me it seems as much above the routine aspiring writer stuff as Saudade's art is above the typical college art student productions. Which may mean that I'm biased but I don't think so. [Wink]

[ August 09, 2004, 11:33 PM: Message edited by: ak ]

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Sure.

The first one's free.

After that...

ak
Member # 90

I know what you mean. I mean, there are Tolstoy novels I haven't read yet. So it's hard to make myself read the works of aspiring writers. [Smile]
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Oh, I don't mind reading the works of aspiring writers. It's just that my analysis is, well, you know, worth its weight in platinum (I'd say gold, but I much prefer the coolness and weight of platinum). [Big Grin] .
ak
Member # 90

Yep! Trans-2-pluto-urano-platinum, even! [Smile]
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.