FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Jack Chick and MST3k

Author Topic: Jack Chick and MST3k
Toni
Member # 5620

- posted      Profile for Toni   Email Toni         Edit/Delete Post 
I know most people have already seen 'em in the "The Mallows: A Jerk Chicky Production" thread, but I decided since the second page was getting fairly ignored and I've had requests to make "more than that one you did" I'd post them here, as I have done three. [Big Grin]

The first was Party Girl. Here is the original, Jack Chick tract, and then my MST3k attempts.

The second was Bad Bob!, in honor of Bob the Lawyer. The original is here, and the Mstified version is here.

And as per asQmh's request, I just recently finish The Death Cookie. (Thanks for the suggestion, Q.) Original, and MST3k version.

I'm currently working on Jack's very lovely tract called "Boo!" but if anyone has any request than I can look over them after I'm done with this one, which should be fairly soon.

Thanks for the requests, guys. They're really fun to make. [Smile]

[ September 08, 2003, 07:17 PM: Message edited by: Toni ]

Posts: 72 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Are we not paying enough attention to you, Toni?
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toni
Member # 5620

- posted      Profile for Toni   Email Toni         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

I had people asking me personally if I'd do more than The Death Cookie. I thought this would make them easier to find.

Posts: 72 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
*serves Saxon a death cookie*

I think they're fully deserving of their own thread, sister.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

Oh, quit with the puppy dog eyes, woman. You know everybody loves you.

Unless you're trying to tell me that I'm nobody.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 4842

- posted      Profile for *           Edit/Delete Post 
More! More!
Posts: 353 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Now you've done it Toni. The "The Mallows--A Jerk Chicky Production" thread will go the way of the dinosaurs. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

[ September 08, 2003, 07:19 PM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoffrey Card
Member # 1062

- posted      Profile for Geoffrey Card   Email Geoffrey Card         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoah. Tom turned into Strong Bad.
Posts: 2048 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeffrey Getzin
Member # 1972

- posted      Profile for Jeffrey Getzin           Edit/Delete Post 
Toni,

Those are extremely funny. Keep up the good work!

Jeff

Posts: 1692 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
D'oh! I posted this under Toni.

I've confused the masses. Praise shall now to go that upstart, "Toni."

(Thanks again, guys. I'm almost done with "Boo!")

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't we just use the Sampo? Oh, yeah! We haven't got one! [Grumble]

[ROFL]

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Be careful, the last website to MST3K Chick tracts had to take them all down under threat of litigation by Jack Chick Inc.

-Bok

Here was the reason given: http://www.x-entertainment.com/messages/316.html

[ September 09, 2003, 05:11 PM: Message edited by: Bokonon ]

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Another site MST3k'd them? Wow, cool!

Is Hatrack enough exposure for Jack to even notice?

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Yup, you got on the bandwagon a wee tad late, m'dear.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

I wish I could see them. [Frown]

Stupid Jack making them take 'em down.

porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
yes, but he won't catch you.
and even if he does you have his copyrighted thing, you are allowed to show them and post opinions on them. even of the mst variety.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
or not.

oh well, some laws are worth breaking!

just as some cookies are worth eating [Smile]

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

The Wayback Site (http://www.archive.org/) has some of them still in old versions of www.x-entertainment.com: http://web.archive.org/web/20000816091641/www.x-entertainment.com/messages/353.html

However, some of the panels are missing images, and it's not a straight MST3K parody.

-Bok

saxon75
Member # 4589

You know, I'm fairly certain that, if Chick found you and asked you to take down your parodies, you refused, and he took it to court, he'd lose on fair use.

But since I'm not any kind of lawyer, much less a copyright lawyer, you may not want to listen to me.

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Your work is borderline as to falling under fair use of the Chick Tracts. I'd bet it would, but it would be close.

It would be much more likely to fall under fair use if included slightly less of the strip.

However, you've almost certainly violating the copyrights of MST3K, just FYI (you're not parodying them, so no special protection is given).

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

When they start threatening, I'll take them down. [Smile]

I doubt it will gain enough attention, though.

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, your parodies load faster than Chick's pages. Jeez, who'd wait that long to read a ridiculous religious tract?

Oh, wait....

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoffrey Card
Member # 1062

- posted      Profile for Geoffrey Card   Email Geoffrey Card         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.bmsc.washington.edu/people/merritt/books/Eye_of_Argon.html

Sorry, I just have to throw this link out as often as possible [Smile] Ever since I was introduced to it, it has changed my life in so many ways ...

[ September 09, 2003, 07:30 PM: Message edited by: Geoffrey Card ]

Posts: 2048 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Toni you are a genius, you picked up on so many of the things that are bothersome about those tracts. [Big Grin]

And Geoff, oh yes, I have that saved on my hard drive and if I ever am having a bad day....it never fails to make me laugh.

Best...MST3K parody....ever.

"Does he mean blood?"

"Don't jump to conclusions."

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Almost, you convince me to be a Ralphie-phile.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Parodies are protected speech. The supreme court is quite unambiguous on that issue. However, you're right that MST3k isn't being parodied, though you might get by with trying to claim it is. In both cases it's hard to decide whether parodying a parody counts as parody or imitation! (I still get fits of thinking Chick tracts are very clever parodies in themselves of a certain type of extremely idiotic religious mindset. Are we positive they are not? Are the very stupid movies that MST3k pokes fun at also not already parodies of themselves or of each other? The whole question is fraught with confusion.)
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

ak-- Chick tracts are very definitely, and unfortunately, real.

Also, I am very confident that a court would rule that MST3K was not being parodied and was having its copyright infringed upon. A parody requires a targeted intent to critique, almost always through lambast or ridicule. Intent matters greatly in parody.

Of course, I think Ralphie should continue to do them. There is no commercial intent behind them, and it's far below a criminal infringment and only a civil infringement, so the worst that would happen is she'd be asked to stop making them and take them down, and if she did so it would never go to court. And I doubt even that will come, even if the MST3K people find out. I think they'd like what she's doing, and copyright does not grow weaker if unenforced.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Crow: "Overwroughtsoul"... that sounds familiar. I want to say Orson Scott Card for some reason.
hee hee hee...

Parodying a parody? I know they did that with Gone With the Wind. My mom said it was actually based on a book called The Wind's Done Gone, which was about the plight of the slaves and made fun of the southern gentry. But I think they actually bought the rights or something. I might be getting this completely wrong.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

The Wind Done Gone was a fairly recent book that parodied Gone With the Wind, and won a court case brought by the owners of Gone With the Wind because the Wind Done Gone was a parody. The judge chastised the owners of Gone With the Wind for even bothering to bring a lawsuit against such an obvious parody that contained no substantial direct infringment (that is, quotes). The writing was almost wholly original, the big overlap being the story.
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

Once again proving that I never listen to my mother. [Big Grin]

quote:
but what is your calling," she queried,

Mike [Grignr]: "I teach the gospel doctrine class."
Crow: Is that religious humor, Mike?
Mike: Uh, yeah. LDS.
Tom: Good thing you didn't mock the Scientologists or we'd all be dead now.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.