FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The word 'paradigm' has been retired from the English language.

Author Topic: The word 'paradigm' has been retired from the English language.
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Starting...now.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
We'll have to synergize a new buzz word.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Can we please retire "plethora" and "proactive" as well?
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
aw...but plethora is a funny word! Think of how it was used in "The Three Amigos!" (I completely agree with you about proactive...and paradigm, for that matter.)
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

I would like to vote the word 'meme' off the semantic island as well. [Hat]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Weird question.

I was writing to someone on another list, and we were talking about paradigm shifts. A few minutes later, one of those pop-up ads came on, with some ad for a company called Paradigm, or with the word featured in the title.

Was this coincidence, or some sort of cookie thing? If the latter, that is kind of wierd and scary to me.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Almost certainly coincidence,I would think.
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Did you know that my boss at IBM once used synergy in a meeting we had. It was eerily like Office Space.

Also, if paradigm is abolished, the people who own my company's building need to be notified (since they are named Paradigm Properties, and all).

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
See... to me, synergy is a rule in Dungeons and Dragons when proficiency in one skill gives bonuses in another.

So, please don't kick out synergy... [Big Grin]

As for "paradigms"... can we just change it to "twenticents"? [Dont Know]

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

I've never heard of twenticents....
Chade Fallstar
Member # 5581

- posted      Profile for Chade Fallstar           Edit/Delete Post 
As long as we are getting rid of words, can we kill the term sea change. I've seen that way too often lately. It's starting to bug me.
Posts: 155 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
SS, sound out paradigms.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I think it would take a veritable sea change of poblic opinion for your wish to come true, Chade.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chade Fallstar
Member # 5581

- posted      Profile for Chade Fallstar           Edit/Delete Post 
::gouges out Bok's eyes::
Posts: 155 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Thanks, Rivka.

<----Not very smrt.

rivka
Member # 4859

Heh, I've just had someone make this joke to me before, IRL. And when I looked [Confused] , they had me sound it out. Just passing it along.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeffrey Getzin
Member # 1972

- posted      Profile for Jeffrey Getzin           Edit/Delete Post 
Tell that to Paradigm, a manufacturer of speakers with exceptional bang-for-the-buck.

Jeff

Posts: 1692 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Not plethora! I love the word plethora. Actually I kind of like paradigm, too, but oh well, we can't have everything. As long as we keep "indict" and "dearth" and "eschew".

Jen

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

This thread is actually for a certain member on this board whom I noted hates the word. (Though I admit to getting a little itchy arond it, too. [Wink] ) Not that he'll notice his minion working to advance his causes or anything. [Blushing]

[ September 14, 2003, 07:25 PM: Message edited by: Storm Saxon ]

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

(I was busy watching the games.)

[Big Grin]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Igor Saxon
Member # 5150

- posted      Profile for Igor Saxon   Email Igor Saxon         Edit/Delete Post 
Of courth, thir!
Posts: 5 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
But "world-view" is longer! [Grumble]
Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Shouldn't that be "Igor Thackthon"?

[Big Grin]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethics Gradient
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Ethics Gradient   Email Ethics Gradient         Edit/Delete Post 
So what you're really saying is that we need to move the goal posts in order to re-align our strategic objectives to be consistent with integrated service product potentials. We need to develop synergies that allow us to really pick up the ball and run with it, focusing primarily on core competantcies and integrative technologies.
Posts: 2945 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

So, "proactive" and "paradigm", aren't these just buzz words used by idiots to make themselves sound intellectual?

I'm fired, aren't I?

Edit: So, you're saying that we should use archetype, beau ideal, chart, criterion, ensample, exemplar, ideal, mirror, model, original, pattern, prototype, sample, or standard instead?

[ September 14, 2003, 07:54 PM: Message edited by: Erik Slaine ]

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Naw, EG, SS wants us to make a complete paradigm shift.

[ September 14, 2003, 07:53 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think aspectre got the memo, EG.

We'll make sure you get another copy of that memo.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gottmorder
Member # 5039

- posted      Profile for Gottmorder   Email Gottmorder         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As for "paradigms"... can we just change it to "twenticents"?
Being a fan of Big O, I'm going to have to say no to this.

I mean, what kind of names are Twenticents City and the Twenticents Corporation? [Razz]

Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethics Gradient
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Ethics Gradient   Email Ethics Gradient         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, aspectre, you put the wrong cover sheet on your TPS reports.

I'll send you another copy of the memo.

Posts: 2945 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Official Rulings:

Anyone caught using the word Paradigm should throw twenty cents in the curse jar.

Anyone using the word Pro-Active must use the word Con-Active within 30 minutes, or forfeit money to the curse jar.

Anyone using the phrase Sea Change must dump all their change into the curse jar for everyone to see.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

Well, I think that's a beau idea!
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

EG, that would be a win-win situation.
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Storm is just pissy because Geoff used it in a post and Stormy failed Geoff's friend game miserably.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
In my doctoral research class, our textbooks are replete with crowings about the shift from the empiricist paradigm to the constructivist one.

I wish someone would give our professors this important news flash about the word's retirement.

Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
If we get rid of paradigm, how am I going to continue catching you all off guard?
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
sea change?

I must have missed the boat for this one.

Apparently out in SoCal now organic foods are known as o-foods. Learned that last night.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Probably from MegRyan's restaurant scene, "I'll take whatever she's having."
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Apparently out in SoCal now organic foods are known as o-foods.
News to me. Of course that may have something to do with the fact that I'm not really part of the whole o-food scene.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

News to me too! And while I rarely pay the extra for organic, I have several friends who do. I think someone's pulling your leg, AJ.

Or else, I'm hopelessly unhip AGAIN. [Wink]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.