FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Bah, humbug--or a thread for crotchety Rackers who have no minions or sycophants. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Bah, humbug--or a thread for crotchety Rackers who have no minions or sycophants.
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Our song.
Our founder.
Our homepage.

Now get off my lawn! [Mad]

[ September 16, 2003, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: Storm Saxon ]

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Saxon, I have neither masters nor minions. I have a healthy appreciation of a few, but have only offered my minion services to Kathy Kidd, who has not gotten back to me on that.

Jon Boy offered minionhood once, but he'd just been fired from Ralphie and was only on leave from celia, so it didn't seem like a good risk.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Hatrack is a bit odd today.

*phew* This thread is a good fit, though.

*pulls up chair*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
ARGH!
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have minions, but Hobbes is my companion. [Big Grin] [Party] [Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Saxon = Stormy
saxon = saxy

Obviously.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
You said there would be cocktails. Where are the cocktails?
Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Hehheheh. You said 'cocktails'. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no minions as of yet, but I am sure that forthwith, Ralphie will be begging me to let her be my minion and love slave. [Evil]

Soon Ralphie will be [Hail]

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
I remain on the bottom rung at this time... so here I am... did someone say "cocktails"?
Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

*titters*
Youth ap Orem
Member # 5582

- posted      Profile for Youth ap Orem   Email Youth ap Orem         Edit/Delete Post 
Can I be the minion of someone's minion?
Posts: 290 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

Heh, you said "titters." Hehe.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Hay guys what's going on in he-

oh.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I want minions. And maybe a harem.
mmm. a harem.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll tell you what Storm: let's trade. I'll be your minion for a while. I've never been a minion before; it could be interesting. And we could go back and forth. That way neither of us is ever without a minion should the need arise. It'll be kinda like time-sharing.

Whadya think?

[Smile]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MacBeth
Member # 5670

- posted      Profile for MacBeth   Email MacBeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Idon't know about the whole harem thing man...having one woman disappointed with your bedroom prowess you could have half a dozen with the same gripe...you thought the former was emasculating...now if it were MY harem...oh yeah family site NM
Posts: 143 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

But then I couldn't be crotchety, Icarus. :/
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Yeah, but Stormy - you're my hizzo. Isn't that kinda like a minion?
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

But Ralphie, he wants the power on his side of the relationship!
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

Toni, I know you think this is a good source of minions, but we just want to sulk on our own in here.

They said there'd be alcohol [Grumble]

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

'Power'. Pffft. Clearly, you imperialist pig-dogs of the Hatrack bourgeoisie have much to learn about crotchetiness. You aren't crotchety as some kind of ploy for power. One is crotchety simply as a means to itself. A kind of zen state where irritation and crankiness are their own reward as shown so clearly by our founder.
Icarus
Member # 3162

What is the sound of one guy bitching?
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Not at all like the sound of a guy who doesn't go along with a joke, I can tell you that.
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
I just want to say that saxon75 has already been legally declared my minion, as has sarcasticmuppet and Paula. And though way out of action, I also lay claim to Niki Avfan (DB's daughter) as my minion.

I also am the minion of Saudade, and continue to carry out her hidden requests.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Actually, I thought I was going along with your Zen joke pretty well! [Wink]
Cecily
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for Cecily           Edit/Delete Post 
Ah. Saudade. Que saudades dela!

I just popped in here to say I am a free and independent jatraquera with neither minions nor masters! Ha HA!! No responsibility whatsoEVER!

Posts: 75 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacare Sorridente
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Jacare Sorridente   Email Jacare Sorridente         Edit/Delete Post 
I find a coalition of the willing to be more effective than minions. Whenever evildoers show their ugly faces the reptiles of Hatrack unite to overthrow their governments.
Posts: 4548 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asQmh
Member # 4590

- posted      Profile for asQmh   Email asQmh         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have any minions or sycophants, but I'm a dedicated Ralphie groupie. I have my own cult, but that's on another forum. Alas, here I am but a servant to the MSTer of the Death Cookie. All [Hail] Ralphie

fin

Q.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

I just want to say that I am no longer T_Smith's minion. I became a free agent after he failed to renew my contract after my trial period ended on June 30.
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Icarus--woops. Misread it. Sorry.
Fishtail
Member # 3900

- posted      Profile for Fishtail   Email Fishtail         Edit/Delete Post 
sigh. How about an almost-lurker who doesn't fit anywhere?
Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Youth ap Orem
Member # 5582

- posted      Profile for Youth ap Orem   Email Youth ap Orem         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a minimum post requisite for being someone's minion?
Posts: 290 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

saxy, read the fine print, dude! Just like AOL, you have to call and cancel your minionship before the trial period ends. Duh. Sorry dude, but you are my minion for life until I let you go now... just like AOL!
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Anyone else notice that those who remain resolutely free of the minion tradition and yet continue to comment on it are also generally single in RL? [Eek!]

[ September 17, 2003, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Youth ap Orem
Member # 5582

LOL, i guess that must mean that i'm single and not by choice. [Grumble]
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I am no one's minion, nor do I claim any as my own.

I do, however, now claim to be lord of the silent majority.

In Shakespearean times, that would be the dead.

In Hatrack terms, that means I am Lord of the Lurkers.

If you have any complaints, my silent friends, speak up.

Of course, if you speak up, you are no longer lurkers, and have left my domain anyway you ungreatful heathen, after all I've done for you too, the new gym, the dental plan, the casual Tuesdays, and naked Thursdays. Go ahead, speak up and leave me. See if I care.

#$@$@#$@#@#$@#$@#$@#$@#.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Q - Your "fin" was a moment of sheer, unadulterated genius.

And fishtail - I'm always in the market... ::squeezes fishtail to check for ripeness::

katharina
Member # 827

Seriously - this just occurred to me. For instance, I refuse to be a minion because I prefer my adoration to be unsolicited and mine to freely give. I offered to be Kathy Kidd's minion, but partly because (1) already am in spirit, (2) due to generally being the silent kind of Hatrack deity, she would make few demands, and (3) I doubted she'd take me up on it.

I refuse to HAVE a minion because I don't want the responsibility of it and for some reason it makes me uncomfortable. It's a horrible responsibility - minions require so much care and feeding, and what if I'm not a good minion-keeper? What exactly do you have to do to be a minion-keeper anyway? And I'm suspicious of the would-be minion's motives - what are they getting out of this? Why be MY minion?

This is horrifying. Must ponder.

Hatrack: Better Than Therapy

[ September 17, 2003, 04:09 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

saxon75
Member # 4589

Now who's not reading the fine print? Secion 5A of the Uniform Code of Hatrack Minion and Minionetteship, to which you are referring, only applies to those individuals actively seeking minionship. Annexed minions are governed by Section 5B, which clearly states that any person ("Annexer") who annexes another ("Annexee") as his or her minion shall retain the Annexee for a trial period not to exceed sixty-seven (67) days. During the trial period the Annexee shall be classified as a Probationary Minion and shall not be eligible for any employer-paid benefits. At any time during the trial period, the Annexer may grant full Minion status upon the Annexee, with or without the consent of the Annexee. Any Probationary Minion who has not been promoted to full Minion status by the end of the trial period shall revert to his or her pre-annexing status, including, but not limited to, Free Agent, Goober, and Disciple.

So there.

Ralphie
Member # 1565

Kat - You have to feed minions? Is that why mine have been dropping like flies?

I thought they were just suppose to follow you around and tell you that you're cool.

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Then there are those of us who couldn't become a minion. So we pretend that we don't want to. (pre-emptively thwaps self to prevent someone else developing a repetitive strain injury).

"He'll be cryin' himself to sleep tonight... on his huge pillow"

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

If I got a minion, I'd want it to be a permanent minion until they were ready to have minions of their own. I don't want a temporary minion - minionhood is a serious thing. I'd have to pass on my Hatrack knowledge. I'd have to let them in on the secret usernames. I'd have to tell the secret of how to make saxy beat his head against the wall.

They'd have input into whether or not I did a landmark thread. But what if I don't WANT to do a landmark thread? I just don't feel I can hand over that much of my Hatrackotomy.

[ September 17, 2003, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

Wasn't there going to be hors d'oeuvres? I specifically requested hors d'oeuvres. [Grumble]
saxon75
Member # 4589

[No No] kat
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Katharina, I don't mind feeding the minions. It's burping and changing them that is so time consuming.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Lurkers are better than minions.

They are invisible, which is a plus compared to some of the minions I've seen.

They are biodegradable, low in cholesterol, quieter, and don't whine nearly as much.

I can talk to them all day and they don't complain at all.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

Saxy, by your rules, I should be completely free of Saudade's reign. But since I've already tried to leave, and the ENTIRE FRIGGIN BOARD SAID NO then I am disinclined to acquiest your request.

It means no.

Ralphie
Member # 1565

You're right, Dan. Lurkers rock. They're arcane and mysterious.

But, wait - Dan, aren't you mine property? I'm pretty sure I stamped your butt when you first showed up, "Property of Ralphie - DO NOT TOUCH!" or something similar.

Does that mean that the lurkers are essentially mine, too?

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

I don't think so.

However, I haven't checked for any claim checks on my backside for quiet some time. Last time it took two mirrors and a dislocated shoulder.

I'll check later.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.