FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » MAFIA Day 1: The Quest Begins (Page 0)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: MAFIA Day 1: The Quest Begins
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
I put my request in today, this morning, and got the answer back early this afternoon.

Jeni is on the West Coast and I am on the east. The time lag makes a difference.

I have been consistent with my thoughts and actions. I said to not vote until a police came forward with a name. As soon as I got a name I came forward and made myself a target.

Do what you will, but the good people of this town know that I have their best interest at heart.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Msquared didn't say outright that he was a cop, but he was alluding to the fact that he might not make it through day three...

quote:
T

I will try, but here is my problem. I have a ghoslty feeling that I may be the next victim.

This is a note to the doctor. I submit myself as a possible person to be saved this night. Half of my immunity is gone and if I succed in preventing a lynching my other half is gone. I suspect that the mafia are mad at me, although that may be my ego talking.

T, be of good cheer. At least you get to sit back and see all the silliness that will now ensue.

msquared

and this:

quote:
understand everyones concern. However, I still stand by the belief that this is best for the townies in the long run. Not lynching some one for the first two or three turns is good for the citizens. Of course now that I have clearly made my case, the mafia will seem to support it, since it is obviously good for the citizens.

I expect that when I am finally killed all will realize that I have only the best interest of the town at heart. I am the voice of reason trying to control the mob. Just ask Ryan.

msquared

(emphasis mine)

He's been playing the tragic hero from the beginning when there was no reason to. This and the fact that he begged the doctor to email him makes me think he's tricksey.

But, since the other policemen haven't spoken up yet, I'm slightly inclined to take M2's word. If MsquaredCop! is the correct assessment, then they already have this worked out how M2 said. If not, then they have their own strategy that I don't want to mess with.

[ September 22, 2003, 07:37 PM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
But the odds have caught up and now you are Mafia. There's no doubt, the only question is whether m2 is also Mafia.

EDIT: That was directed at HDD.

[ September 22, 2003, 07:40 PM: Message edited by: newfoundlogic ]

Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
me?
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

- posted      Profile for Ryan Hart           Edit/Delete Post 
::slaps forhead::

Ok how about... sarcasticmuppet

I've got my eye on you.

[ September 22, 2003, 07:48 PM: Message edited by: Ryan Hart ]

Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Youth ap Orem
Member # 5582

- posted      Profile for Youth ap Orem   Email Youth ap Orem         Edit/Delete Post 
Ryan I think he's immune the first round.

[ September 22, 2003, 07:45 PM: Message edited by: Youth ap Orem ]

Posts: 290 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

Ryan

You can not vote for me, I am immune.

I was making those statements about my dying becuase I suspect that the mafia did not like the plan I was putting forth. If I was dead they would have an easier time convicing townies to lynch someone instead of making the mafia do all the dirty work. I just know that since I am out in the open as police my days are numbered. I will not see the end of the game alive. I am a tragic hero, all the cops are. We are here to sacrifice ourselves for the good of the town.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patsy
Member # 5699

- posted      Profile for Patsy   Email Patsy         Edit/Delete Post 
Ryan is welcome to vote for whoever he likes. I just won't actually kill msquared if he wins...er, loses the lynch vote. Win or lose, he doesn't die today.
Posts: 68 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
sm, indeed m² has been "playing the tragic hero from the beginning" -- but I disagree that there was no reason for him to do so.

As a cop, he knows he has a target painted on his back (I recall the feeling well). This was likely to come through even before he admitted his cop-ness. [Wink]

And sm, I repeat:
quote:
However, isn't it interesting that people I consider suspicious anyway are all yelping "mafia"! about mē?

[ September 22, 2003, 08:22 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damander
Member # 4439

- posted      Profile for Damander           Edit/Delete Post 
M2, that still doesn't add up. I know all about time differences, I'm not dumb. What I'm saying is that if you sent in your accusatory guess on time (and we are running on Hatrack, eastern time), then Jeniwren would have had the guess before she wrote up the day's kill. Therefore, she would have been able to send you your response about the same time as she posted (about 12 noon). But you maintained your no voting status until about 2:30. This is what I don't understand. Please explain your reasoning for this, or a more viable reason for getting the answer late than time zones.

After all, if you are police, you have nothing to hide from us townies. And we need to be able to trust you if you put forth someone tomorrow too. All I'm trying to do is make you more credible in our eyes.

Posts: 119 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Damander, there is life outside Hatrack. I wouldn't have believed it, once upon a time, but since then I've learned. Maybe MM was unable to check his mail until such time as around 2:00 HST?
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Except Ryuko, he was posting here -- so that won't fly.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Youth ap Orem
Member # 5582

- posted      Profile for Youth ap Orem   Email Youth ap Orem         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe, he forgot his password to his e-mail and it took him a couple hours to get it all fixed.(yeah right..)
Mwahaha, Msquared is going down next round!

Posts: 290 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

Uhm

I have a life? I am not on line 24/7?

You can believe what you want. I know that in a few days I will be vindicated. I have nothing to hide now. Other than the identity of my fellow police. I should say that we have about three other people that we susupect and have them on our list to check out in the next few days.

msquared

rivka
Member # 4859

Actually, Youth, while I don't believe that he was offline (or couldn't access his email), I do believe that m² is a cop.

[ September 22, 2003, 08:35 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Ryuko
Member # 5125

Well, online or no, there are some times when you just space checking your email... I don't think we should accuse MM because he has a life outside of Hatrack...
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude. I'm immune the first day, too!

Oh, sweet sweet day of mafia. You will most assuredly be my last, as no one can resist lynching/killing the Raphster.

btw - I'm not sure who I'm voting for, but Head Ditch Digger sounds about right. I mean, he's got the shifty eyes.

[ September 22, 2003, 09:25 PM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

I just checked the history.

The story was posted at 12:13.

My fist post was 12:20.
I posted again at 12:20,12:25, 1:55, 2:24, 2:27 and made my announcement at 2:35. The record I have shows that Jeni sent her e-mail to me at 1:00PM my time. I did not get it until later. I use Hotmail and there are times where it takes a while for it to deliver mail, if I can even get on. There have been many times where I get a "server busy" message when I try and log on.

I did not have an answer before the story was posted.

msquared

Damander
Member # 4439

To echo rivka: you were posting: you had access to internet and you were using it. I think you are putting your foot in your mouth. Either way, I'm going to drop the subject and give you the benefit of the doubt. For now. [Razz]
Posts: 119 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

I had access and I was using it. Jeni sent it to me right after my 1:55 ET post. I did not get back on until 2:24. It took me about 5 minutes to get caught up on the post and get into Hotmail. I am on dial up.

I think you are grasping at straws here.

msquared

rivka
Member # 4859

Ok, so let's look at m²'s post times, shall we?

Right after jeniwren posted the kill (12:20 and 12:25). He could easily not have heard from jeniwren yet. Then not again for over 90 minutes (ooh, he has one of those RL thingies, doesn't he???). His 1:55 post almost sounds like he's thinking about admitting to cop-dom. His 2:25 and 2:27 posts give me a little pause. Did he know about HDD, but hesitate to contradict what he'd already said? Was he antsy-ly waiting to hear from jeniwren?

Or was he really mafia? I admit it is a possibility -- but I still think it's the least likely one.

Now having read posts from while I was writing this: Damander, cease putting words in my mouth! The more you do so, the more certain I am that you are mafia and m² is not.

msquared
Member # 4484

Come on Ralphie

You are my love slave and my minion, you know that deep in your heart. I have told you who to vote for.

msquared

Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
If MM isn't a cop, wouldn't claiming he was bring him instantly under the scrutiny of the real cops?

That's too dangerous a play to make for a Mafia this early in the game. Mafia do not draw attention to themselves like that.

I'm trusting MM as a cop at this point.

But then, I also think HDD is Mafia, so maybe it's only 'cause we agree.

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

quote:
And sm, I repeat:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
However, isn't it interesting that people I consider suspicious anyway are all yelping "mafia"! about mē?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're darned right I'm suspicious of M2, but I have admitted and continue to admit that my arguments are not foolproof. I think it's weird that M2, as a cop, would discourage lynching and not two hours later decide to off HDD. Maybe Ryuko's right, and M2 decided to try and delay voting before he knew if HDD was dirty.

I also know most of my arguments depend on HDD's innocence. I have neither voted for him nor argued against voting for him, but if he turns out to be innocent, I will vote M2 tomorrow. If he's dirty, then I'll have to start from square one tomorrow, because I still don't know for sure.

rivka
Member # 4859

Ok, Damander feels that I have falsely accused her of putting words in my mouth. So let me rephrase.

I believe she is taking my skepticism, and turning it into full-blown accusation. So it's not that she's putting words in my mouth -- that was uncalled for on my part, and I apologize -- it's that she's putting a mafia-suspicious spin on them.

rivka
Member # 4859

Ok, sm, fair enough. We'll wait and see whether HDD turns out to really be mafia or not.
pajeba
Member # 5656

- posted      Profile for pajeba           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, is the town meeting totally over by now? would it be in the Hatrack Chat or somewhere else?
Posts: 233 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

Feyd, Ryuko, I, and others are in Hatrack Chat right now. Rivka said the Hatrack Mafia chat's been empty.
rivka
Member # 4859

Was there one? I checked Hatrack Aim Chat several times, and I've been in regular Hatrack Chat.

Never saw anything that looked like an actual mafia-related chat. [Dont Know]

[ September 22, 2003, 10:19 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Can we just use Parachat for now on?
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
nah, no-one uses parachat....
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

But we all can use Parachat, not all of us can use AIM.
msquared
Member # 4484

I don't use AIM or the other chats. I have tried to use Parachat and it works on my system. I would like to use that, but think I won't have a whole lot of need for it after tomorrow.

msquared

Ryuko
Member # 5125

I can't use parachat. My internet access is blocked in certain ports for virus protection... [Grumble]
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

How about some brain storming then. There's gotta be something that we can all use.
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm....I'm abstaining from voting tonight....Maybe next time I'll actually be able to make one of the meetings.
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

Is there a limit to how many people can die of natural causes in one day?
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect that alot of people can die in one day (or at least be mortally wounded) when there's a plague going around.
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damander
Member # 4439

Disclaimer: Okay, i didn't realize that jeniwren had changed the rules from what she originally said. I thought the police had to have their guess in by 10 hatrack time just like the doctor and mafia, but in re-reading the rules I see that this is not so. Um, m2 you could have easily noticed this fallacy in my thinking and told me that you don't have that deadline. So thanks for keeping me frustrated all day long instead, just to spite me. [Wink]

Second Disclaimer: I am sick with a terrible head cold and have not been thinking clearly all day. (Just ask Jennie). Otherwise I might have thought to look in the rules before I posted all this stuff. Sheesh.

Oh, and Rivka? I wasn't accusing m2, I was merely trying to understand and get better info to see if he really could be trusted, that's all.

Don't worry, I'll keep my big mouth shut tomorrow and just be a lowly citizen that does what they're told.

rivka
Member # 4859

*sighs*

Ok, I think I need to exile myself and my big mouth over here.

Sorry, Damander. I got carried away -- again. [Wall Bash]

Damander
Member # 4439

*pats rivka on the back*

Please, no more of this [Wall Bash] , you might start thinking like me.... [Razz]

rivka
Member # 4859

Hey, I've been banging my head on relatively unyielding surfaces for years. [Wink]

Doesn't seem to have done . . .

Um, did you say something?

Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Policepersons, please take a close look at who cried "VOTE! VOTE!" at the beginning of the game...

...and take a closer look at who ended up NOT voting. Hm. This is getting good and it makes much sense.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to say something that hasn't exactly anything to see with mafia, but I just would like to tell people who do not have AIM that they can download a very usefull freeware, trillian, which allows you to use AIM, MSN, yahoo messenger, ICQ, IRC and I may have forgotten one. To download here : http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/downloads/
After that you just have to follow the instructions to create yourself an AIM account. [Smile]

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

Don't worry, we are keeping an eye on things.

We have at least 4 suspects that we will be checking on in the days to come. I must warn the townies however that the next police office will not come forward until they have at least two mafia names.

msquared(who had gotten his things in order and made out his will)

Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's my problem with you "officer".

You insist on revealing after I vote.
You insist on chatting when I'm not around.

Then you whine that people don't listen to you.

Post your reveal in a timely manner this morning or I will vote for whomever I feel. [Smile]

Edit: Always gettin hassled by "The Man". [Grumble]

[ September 23, 2003, 09:25 AM: Message edited by: Erik Slaine ]

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

Erik

You can change your vote. I did. I originally abstained. Then, when I had info from jeni I changed my vote. I am sorry that you are not around when I am chatting. If you mean on AIM or Parachat, I have actually not done any of that. I can run parachat, but no one has ever been on it when I have been there. If you would send me your schedule I will gladly talk when you are around.

When have I been whining that people are not listening to me? Have I hasseled any one about voting before I made my accusation? NO. Have I hasseled anyone about voting for someone other than the person I have accused? NO. Have I complained about people abstaining when I have accused someone? NO.

The only people whinning are HDD, which is to be expected, and some others who seem to have fuzzy reasons as to why they oppose what I have put forth. They argue about minutes when there are hours to decide. They claim that I change my mind after some people have voted. I have admitted to that and given what I think is a good reason to change my mind, one that is consistent with what I have proposed since before this game started.

In a few hours the truth will be known.

And the guilty will be quaking, because even if I die, it will just cement what I have said. And if I don't die, I will still be a thorn in thier side.

msquared(who realizes just how messianic that sounded and is a little bothered by it.)

Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Erik. I'm voting on the thread evidence alone. I don't have time to be in chat either and I don't expect people to wait around. The rules are the vote should be in before 9pm pacific. Everyone can change their vote up til that time.

msquared, if it bothers you, you can erase it... [Wink]

[ September 23, 2003, 11:08 AM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
LOL. Thanks msquared. (but you did hassle me in my Hitler thread! [Razz] )
Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

A whole different world. [Smile]

msquared

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.