FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » MAFIA Day 1: The Quest Begins (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: MAFIA Day 1: The Quest Begins
pajeba
Member # 5656

- posted      Profile for pajeba           Edit/Delete Post 
hmm, I think I will vote Head Ditch Digger, at the risk of jumping on the band wagon. msquared has some solid points, and who would fake being police? they would just die the next day if they were lying.

Oh, and what goes on at Town Meetings? I don't think I will be able to make the one tonight.

Posts: 233 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Just curious, why does M2 have immunity?

I'm voting for Erik Slaine, because he cast the first stone and all.

I think m2 is being a bit tricksey. Why would he urge us not to vote if he was police and could lead us to a correct lynching? It doesn't make any sense.

quote:
For those of you who think I might be mafia trying to live one more day, wait one day and see if Head Ditch Digger is mafia or not. Then make your decsion.
There was no suspicion towards M2 to begin with, so why would he be "trying to live one more day," mafia or no? This also doesn't make any sense. He came out as a policeman and the doctor will probably feel inclined towards saving him from a whacking because of it, but only celia has raised suspicion against him so far.

Unfortunately, most of my argument depends on whether or not HDD is dirty. If he is, I will buy that M2 is not mafia, because it doesn't really make sense for him to post HDD as a scapegoat. I've tried to imagine a game where the mafia turnes on one of their own, and I'm not convinced it can be used effectively.

[ September 22, 2003, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
*abstains*... for the time being...
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
M² had first-day immunity because he got knocked off first day last game.

And while I was slightly suspicious of sarcasticmuppet previously, I am VERY suspicious now.

*sighs* And, sorry kiddo, but rather suspicious of Raia now too.

Hmm. The doc is likely to protect m² today, and I'm being mouthy. I'm gonna get snuffed tomorrow, aren't I. [Angst]

[ September 22, 2003, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
*looks suspiciously at rivka*
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
What's weird is I'm going to abstain because of Msquared.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of things.

I have not asked the other police to identify themselves yet. There is no need for them to. I am asking the doctor to save me so that I can stay alive one more day and ask one more question.

I am doing exactly what I said should be done.

If the police do not name a mafia, then the townies should not vote. Once I found out who the mafia was, HDD, then I announced it and am asking people to lynch him.

As far as I know the doctor can not save someone from lynching, only the mafia. If the mafia try and kill me tonight then the doctor could save me. Tomorrow, when we see that HDD is mafia, I will not get lynched. The mafia will kill me on day three. Hopefully another of my suspects will be idenified as mafia and two will be gone.

I have but one life to give to my town.
I feel very Gary Cooperish.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

Doctor,

If you don't mind could you e-mail me at msquaredmafia@hotmail.com?

I have something to discuss with you.

I understand why you may not want to contact me, as at this point you have no proof that I am not mafia. However, if you feel that it is a good risk please do.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Head Ditch Digger
Member # 5085

- posted      Profile for Head Ditch Digger   Email Head Ditch Digger         Edit/Delete Post 
M^2, you may have only one life, but you're taking me with you. Tomorrow, everyone will see how much you played them.

And pulling the doctor's vote for yourself tonight, knowing full well that the mafia would not vote for one of their own. cunning, sir. I tip my hat to you

[Hat]

Posts: 1244 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Have people already forgotten the John Keats maneuver?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Or are you both playing us?
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

HDD,

As my wife, mcubed, would tell you I am not that smart. I do not know if the doctor will save me. I understand that until the lynching tomorrow my veracity will not be proved. It might be to late by then. Such is the life of a policeman. My duty is to serve and protect, and if I can take one of the vile mafia with me, then I will sleep the eternal sleep easier. Just remember to shine my star and bury with my boots on.

msquared

Head Ditch Digger
Member # 5085

- posted      Profile for Head Ditch Digger   Email Head Ditch Digger         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone who can use the word "veracity" correctly is smart enough.

Besides, no one's wife believes they are smart enough to do anything but take out the garbage. So using your wife as evidence of you ignorance, doesn't float.

Posts: 1244 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Msquared, you still haven't told why you wanted us to abstain from the only power the citizens have. I genuinely don't understand why you didn't want us to lynch tonight.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
rivka, i was trying to address you're concerns about my behavior, as stated in the post i was answering. you should be suspicious of me and of everyone else. i don't know you well enough to know if that was obvious to you, so i addressed it.

m2 and others, HDD's guilt would not prove m2's innocence conclusively, but HDD's innocence would prove m2's guilt. tom is correct. am i the only one familiar with the acclaimed 'keats manover'? HDD may indeed be the sacrifice the mafia uses to gain the trust of the townies. after all, if we all just follow m2 blindly, tomorrow he'll announce that the person asked was a citizen and we shouldn't vote. if he's a cop, he's being honest. if he's mafia, he's guaranteeing that his cohorts are safe from lynching. he cannot tell us to lynch an actual townie as we would then know he was lying. he might be setting us up to be picked off, while telling us it's in our best interests.

does that seem possible to anyone else?

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Actually, sm, he has. Repeatedly.

Last game.

More recently.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Celia, when you get to know me better, you will realize that I am often suspicious of others.

Only in games like mafia do I get to give that free rein. [Evil]

But I do really find it interesting that rather than letting it slide, you are still on the defensive.

I do agree that m² could be mafia, and sacrificing HDD. That's why I only trust him guardedly.

However, isn't it interesting that people I consider suspicious anyway are all yelping "mafia"! about m²?

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

Yes, but M2 said "Let's not vote tonight. I'm going to be morally upright and abstain" and then two hours later he says "Nevermind, let's lynch HDD. Oh by the way, I'm a cop" It doesn't make any sense that M2, as a policeman, would suggest a non-vote tonight if he was hoping to persuade us toward the lynching of an actual mafioso.
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
It makes perfect sense to me, not that I don't think MM couldn't still be mafia... But given that he is the police, he takes this stance on principle, not expecting the person he's checked to come up mafia, and then when they do, he can't just reverse his position and say, "Aw screw all that, let's just kill HDD..." so he has to tell us he's the police. If the person had come up townie, then he'd probably continue with his no-vote stance, given that he's the policeman of course. (Edit: Or rather A policeman)

It doesn't make any sense to me for him to take such a stance and then switch from it if he IS mafia. That would just garner uneccessary suspicion, which is THE thing to avoid during this game.

[ September 22, 2003, 06:43 PM: Message edited by: Ryuko ]

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I agree 100% with Ryuko.

Hmm, that in and of itself seems suspicious!

*eyes Ryuko warily*

Damander
Member # 4439

- posted      Profile for Damander           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, M2, first you're asking us not to vote, and now you come out and say you're a policeman and have already IDed a mafioso?? I'm sorry, but didn't the police have to put in their guess before 10AM hatrack time just like the mafia and doctor, and wouldn't therefore jeniwren be online to answer your email when she is posting at the start of the "day"?? Hmmm?

I don't know what to think about you, but I am tempted to think you are mafia because you are trying very hard to manipulate the townies. If HDD gets lynched and it turns out he is mafia, that does not credit you as police; this could very well be a clever mafia tactic. On the other hand, you could be a police who truly didn't get the answer back until later and who is just trying very hard to bend the rules to his liking. Either way, I don't like your way of playing.

Just to spite you, I'm going to abstain from voting. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 119 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow...the things you miss while you're in class! I must say that I am very confused. On the one hand, I'm tempted to be suspicious of all these goings on. And on the other hand, I kinda just feel like voting for Head Ditch Digger along with everyone else. Decisions, decisions.

Hmm...well for now I'll put in a Head Ditch Digger. I can always change it later, if there are any developments. [Evil]

Edit: I agree, Ryuko.

[ September 22, 2003, 06:55 PM: Message edited by: hansenj ]

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damander
Member # 4439

Hmmm, I just read Ryuko's last post, and he has a point. Maybe I need to rethink some things. [Confused]

Edit to add: Looks like HDD is gonna get lynched whether I vote for him or not, but I'm still going to abstain from voting, just to spite m2. [Big Grin]

[ September 22, 2003, 06:59 PM: Message edited by: Damander ]

Posts: 119 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Wow, Damander! The lady doth protest a whole heck of a lot! And you know perfectly well that sometimes jeniwren doesn't happen to be online just at the moment a cop queries about a townie.

Oh, and Ryuko is a girl. [Wink]

Ryuko
Member # 5125

^_^ Yes. I am.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damander
Member # 4439

Oops, sorry Ryuko! [Embarrassed]

Yes, I know from my past experience as police that she's not always online, but we put in our guess anytime during the day. The new deadline is before jeniwren starts the new day though, therefore she would be able to check email then and send out replies.

I do believe that m2 is police; I'm just curious why he changed his position halfway through the day.

[ September 22, 2003, 07:08 PM: Message edited by: Damander ]

Feyd Baron
Member # 1407

- posted      Profile for Feyd Baron   Email Feyd Baron         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a sheep, and I was in class all day, so I missed out. Sorry HDD, I know we have history an all in past games, but...

My vote is for HDD

Feyd Baron, DoC

Posts: 1000 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Head Ditch Digger
Member # 5085

Etu, feyd. [Frown]
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
Ryuko et al. please note that he didn't claim to be a cop until a few people started voting, instead of listening to him and abstaining.

the votes before his announcement were m2, ryuko and feyd, correct? is he trying to save one of these by offering HDD? does HDD have something on his plate this week that makes him more expendable than one of the ones voted against?

i am not certain that he is mafia, i only see it as a possibility and want to urge caution against following blindly what he tells us tomorrow and the next day.

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems to me that the only way we can be sure about MM is if he turns up a mafia tomorrow too. However, I'm going to give him the benefit of a doubt, 'cause even if he is playing us, we have a 2/3 chance of killing a mafia (from what I understand).

And the suspicious side of me says that HDD is prostesting his innocence a bit too much. [Evil]

I vote for Head Ditch Digger

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Head Ditch Digger
Member # 5085

Ah, blacky, I always scream innocence, go back and look at my last two games. I always argue that I was innocent, and was right, I will add.
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess we'll find out in a few hours.

head ditch digger

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

I put my request in today, this morning, and got the answer back early this afternoon.

Jeni is on the West Coast and I am on the east. The time lag makes a difference.

I have been consistent with my thoughts and actions. I said to not vote until a police came forward with a name. As soon as I got a name I came forward and made myself a target.

Do what you will, but the good people of this town know that I have their best interest at heart.

msquared

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

Msquared didn't say outright that he was a cop, but he was alluding to the fact that he might not make it through day three...

quote:
T

I will try, but here is my problem. I have a ghoslty feeling that I may be the next victim.

This is a note to the doctor. I submit myself as a possible person to be saved this night. Half of my immunity is gone and if I succed in preventing a lynching my other half is gone. I suspect that the mafia are mad at me, although that may be my ego talking.

T, be of good cheer. At least you get to sit back and see all the silliness that will now ensue.

msquared

and this:

quote:
understand everyones concern. However, I still stand by the belief that this is best for the townies in the long run. Not lynching some one for the first two or three turns is good for the citizens. Of course now that I have clearly made my case, the mafia will seem to support it, since it is obviously good for the citizens.

I expect that when I am finally killed all will realize that I have only the best interest of the town at heart. I am the voice of reason trying to control the mob. Just ask Ryan.

msquared

(emphasis mine)

He's been playing the tragic hero from the beginning when there was no reason to. This and the fact that he begged the doctor to email him makes me think he's tricksey.

But, since the other policemen haven't spoken up yet, I'm slightly inclined to take M2's word. If MsquaredCop! is the correct assessment, then they already have this worked out how M2 said. If not, then they have their own strategy that I don't want to mess with.

[ September 22, 2003, 07:37 PM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

But the odds have caught up and now you are Mafia. There's no doubt, the only question is whether m2 is also Mafia.

EDIT: That was directed at HDD.

[ September 22, 2003, 07:40 PM: Message edited by: newfoundlogic ]

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

me?
Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

- posted      Profile for Ryan Hart           Edit/Delete Post 
::slaps forhead::

Ok how about... sarcasticmuppet

I've got my eye on you.

[ September 22, 2003, 07:48 PM: Message edited by: Ryan Hart ]

Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Youth ap Orem
Member # 5582

- posted      Profile for Youth ap Orem   Email Youth ap Orem         Edit/Delete Post 
Ryan I think he's immune the first round.

[ September 22, 2003, 07:45 PM: Message edited by: Youth ap Orem ]

Posts: 290 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

Ryan

You can not vote for me, I am immune.

I was making those statements about my dying becuase I suspect that the mafia did not like the plan I was putting forth. If I was dead they would have an easier time convicing townies to lynch someone instead of making the mafia do all the dirty work. I just know that since I am out in the open as police my days are numbered. I will not see the end of the game alive. I am a tragic hero, all the cops are. We are here to sacrifice ourselves for the good of the town.

msquared

Patsy
Member # 5699

- posted      Profile for Patsy   Email Patsy         Edit/Delete Post 
Ryan is welcome to vote for whoever he likes. I just won't actually kill msquared if he wins...er, loses the lynch vote. Win or lose, he doesn't die today.
Posts: 68 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

sm, indeed m² has been "playing the tragic hero from the beginning" -- but I disagree that there was no reason for him to do so.

As a cop, he knows he has a target painted on his back (I recall the feeling well). This was likely to come through even before he admitted his cop-ness. [Wink]

And sm, I repeat:
quote:
However, isn't it interesting that people I consider suspicious anyway are all yelping "mafia"! about mē?

[ September 22, 2003, 08:22 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Damander
Member # 4439

M2, that still doesn't add up. I know all about time differences, I'm not dumb. What I'm saying is that if you sent in your accusatory guess on time (and we are running on Hatrack, eastern time), then Jeniwren would have had the guess before she wrote up the day's kill. Therefore, she would have been able to send you your response about the same time as she posted (about 12 noon). But you maintained your no voting status until about 2:30. This is what I don't understand. Please explain your reasoning for this, or a more viable reason for getting the answer late than time zones.

After all, if you are police, you have nothing to hide from us townies. And we need to be able to trust you if you put forth someone tomorrow too. All I'm trying to do is make you more credible in our eyes.

Ryuko
Member # 5125

Damander, there is life outside Hatrack. I wouldn't have believed it, once upon a time, but since then I've learned. Maybe MM was unable to check his mail until such time as around 2:00 HST?
rivka
Member # 4859

Except Ryuko, he was posting here -- so that won't fly.
Youth ap Orem
Member # 5582

- posted      Profile for Youth ap Orem   Email Youth ap Orem         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe, he forgot his password to his e-mail and it took him a couple hours to get it all fixed.(yeah right..)
Mwahaha, Msquared is going down next round!

Posts: 290 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

Uhm

I have a life? I am not on line 24/7?

You can believe what you want. I know that in a few days I will be vindicated. I have nothing to hide now. Other than the identity of my fellow police. I should say that we have about three other people that we susupect and have them on our list to check out in the next few days.

msquared

rivka
Member # 4859

Actually, Youth, while I don't believe that he was offline (or couldn't access his email), I do believe that m² is a cop.

[ September 22, 2003, 08:35 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Ryuko
Member # 5125

Well, online or no, there are some times when you just space checking your email... I don't think we should accuse MM because he has a life outside of Hatrack...
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude. I'm immune the first day, too!

Oh, sweet sweet day of mafia. You will most assuredly be my last, as no one can resist lynching/killing the Raphster.

btw - I'm not sure who I'm voting for, but Head Ditch Digger sounds about right. I mean, he's got the shifty eyes.

[ September 22, 2003, 09:25 PM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

I just checked the history.

The story was posted at 12:13.

My fist post was 12:20.
I posted again at 12:20,12:25, 1:55, 2:24, 2:27 and made my announcement at 2:35. The record I have shows that Jeni sent her e-mail to me at 1:00PM my time. I did not get it until later. I use Hotmail and there are times where it takes a while for it to deliver mail, if I can even get on. There have been many times where I get a "server busy" message when I try and log on.

I did not have an answer before the story was posted.

msquared

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.