FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Language lesson of the day (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Language lesson of the day
The Editor-in-Chief
Member # 5014

- posted      Profile for The Editor-in-Chief   Email The Editor-in-Chief         Edit/Delete Post 
There's already been a lot of discussion about the misuse of apostrophes in forming plurals. But recently I've noticed another problem stemming from apostrophe abuse, and I think it needs to be addressed for the sake of the English language. Okay, it's really just for the sake of my own sanity.

In English, the past tense is generally formed by adding -ed to the end of a word. Thus, it is I walked to the store yesterday. The past tense is never formed by adding 'd. Never. That's right; there are no exceptions. Thus, you don't say The president veto'd the bill; you say The president vetoed the bill.

Please, please, please, for the love of all that is holy, stop doing the 'd thing. We'll all be a lot happier. I'll be happier because it won't drive me nuts, and you'll be happier because I won't flip out and kill you.

Thanks.

[ September 29, 2003, 05:37 PM: Message edited by: The Editor-in-Chief ]

Posts: 100 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
That disturb'd me; I need some hug's. [Frown]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry. It just seemed natural. After I posted it I realized it looked wrong, but I didn't think it was that big a deal. And besides, the rules of grammar are constantly changing. Maybe this is for the best.
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
what if you like to pretend you're in a shakespeare play?
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Head Ditch Digger
Member # 5085

- posted      Profile for Head Ditch Digger   Email Head Ditch Digger         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, you worry way too much about people's inability to spell. I don't drive down the street picking out the flaws of other developers.

Oh, wait, yes I do.

Carry on, my good man.

I type'd this before I thoughted.

Posts: 1244 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man! I was expecting a foreign language lesson of the day.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Editor-in-Chief
Member # 5014

- posted      Profile for The Editor-in-Chief   Email The Editor-in-Chief         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Katie)))

Jehovoid, this thread was not intended to criticize you. I've seen plenty of people do it, and after Diosmel's thread, I felt like starting my own little language rant. Don't take it personally.

Ronnie: What if you like to pretend that the English language uses capital letters for the first word in a sentence and for proper nouns?

Posts: 100 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Editor-in-Chief
Member # 5014

Would some Welsh or Old English make you happy, Annie?
Head Ditch Digger
Member # 5085

- posted      Profile for Head Ditch Digger   Email Head Ditch Digger         Edit/Delete Post 
What, no comment for me? [Frown]
Posts: 1244 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Editor-in-Chief
Member # 5014

The spelling and grammar of your last post was impeccable, right up until the "type'd" and "thoughted" part. Thank you for almost making my day.
Head Ditch Digger
Member # 5085

I couldn't help it. I am just a humble ditch digger.
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
ed: what if i like to pretend it doesn't?
i feel that it places too much unearned value on certain words when none is deserving. except my name, of course. my name is plenty deserving.

Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Some Welsh would be nice.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! I've never seen that before. How odd.
Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Editor-in-Chief
Member # 5014

Some useful Welsh phrases

(Pronunciation note: a y is usually an "uh" sound, though sometimes it's an "ee" sound, a w is an "ooh," a ch is like the ch in German, an f is a v, and dd is the like the "th" in "the." The accent is typically placed on the penultimate syllable.)

Ydych chi wedi dyweddio?
(UD-uhch chee we-dee duh-we-THEE-o)
Are you engaged?

Ddim eto, ond mae ffrind arbennig gyda fi.
(Thim E-to, ond my frind ar-BEN-ig GUH-da vee)
Not yet, but I have a special friend.

Ble mae car Dafydd?
(Blay my car DAV-ith)
Where's David's car?

Mae car Dafydd yn yr afon. Stori drist iawn!
(My car DAV-ith un ur AV-on. STOR-y drist yown)
David's car is in the river. A very sad story!

Beth wyt ti'n mynd i neud yfory?
(Beth weet teen mind ee nade uh-VOR-y)
What are you going to do tomorrow?

Rydw i'n mynd i bregethu yn yr eglwys—tan a brwmstan!
(RUHD-ween mind ee bre-GETH-ee un ur EG-lweez—tan ah BROOM-stan)
I'm going to preach in the church—fire and brimstone!

I hope you all enjoy these handy phrases.

[ September 29, 2003, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: The Editor-in-Chief ]

screechowl
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for screechowl   Email screechowl         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome, Editor!

I am Welsh. You reaffirm to me how lucky I was being born in the United States.

Dafydd in Kansas

Posts: 440 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Her Royal Sweekiness
Member # 5747

- posted      Profile for Her Royal Sweekiness           Edit/Delete Post 
Y'know, Mark Twain said he could never respect someone who only knew one way to spell a word.
Posts: 59 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Editor-in-Chief
Member # 5014

I know plenty of ways to spell words. I just happen to prefer the right ways.
katharina
Member # 827

I'd like to think I have more imagination than that. [Razz]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bono
Member # 5394

- posted      Profile for Bono   Email Bono         Edit/Delete Post 
How about Irish? Any Irish lessons?
Posts: 23 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Editor-in-Chief
Member # 5014

Unfortunately, I don't know any Irish, though I do know a few phrases in Scottish, which is very similar.

Here's one that would be very handy if it were in Irish:

Tha mi a fuireach anns am bhar.
(Ha mee a furich anz am var)
I live in the bar.

Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

- posted      Profile for Ryan Hart           Edit/Delete Post 
I like this Editor guy.

::buys him a drink::

Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
I've noticed a continuing inability to use lie and lay correctly. If you have any questions at all about this, please let me email you my lecture # 117 on The Correct Use of 'Lie' and 'Lay' in Standard English. [Smile]
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Editor-in-Chief
Member # 5014

Actually, the error is almost always that lay is used instead of lie. Almost no one has a problem with lay, but most people have problems with lie.
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Any Old Norse?
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite has always been hanged and hung. [Big Grin]
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Lit and lighted.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
drug and dragged.

or is that even right?? Who know's? [Dont Know]

[Taunt]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
I have an exception. (And I don't care if you don't accept it. [Razz] ) If I typed the following piece of code:

code:
grep 'mt$' /usr/dict/words

I might explain myself by saying "I grep'd through the dictionary looking for words ending in 'mt'." I wouldn't want to have to use "grepped" or "greped" to describe my actions, as the first doesn't preserve the literalism required in computer languages, and the second one looks like it should be pronounced as "greeped". Same with "tar" or "gzip" or any number of other handy tools.

Now I admit that what I speak is not exactly English. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deirdre
Member # 4200

- posted      Profile for Deirdre   Email Deirdre         Edit/Delete Post 
Bit and bited.
Posts: 1046 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
*raises hand*

I have a question. Should this sentence have one "that" or a two "that"s side by side.

Option A:

I suspect that may have done more to help him figure it out than all of the work I've done before.

Option B:
I suspect that that may have done more to help him figure it out than all of the work I've done before.

It is probably poor construction all around but I'd appreciate a grammatical opionion from more learned folks.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Editor-in-Chief
Member # 5014

The word that has a few different functions in English. One of its uses is to serve as a regular pronoun: "that" helped him figure it out (whatever "that" is). Another use is as a relative pronoun, meaning that it introduces a relative clause (a clause that relates to something else). When it's working as a relative pronoun, we can often drop it entirely:
quote:
I know you're right.
quote:
I know that you're right.
They both work, but it sounds a little more formal when that is included.

In my opinion, when you have two different thats next to each other, it's better to keep the relative pronoun in. Otherwise, readers may see the regular that as a relative that, which may cause brief confusion (though readers are generally very good at figuring it out). If you don't like using two thats, you might want to change the second one to something else like it.

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
So I should have left the second that in which was my first instinct.

Oh well it was just an informal e-mail to a friend.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
That is the point of that.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

The Jargon File has no specific listing of the past tense of the verb "to grep," but it does use the past participle "grepping." By extension, I think we can conclude that it is, at least, not improper to write "grepped."

PS: Nice name. [Smile]

[ September 30, 2003, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: saxon75 ]

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Are you writing post-it notes to yourself again?

Katie,

You have a meeting at 2:00. Don't forget the style sheets, specs, and raspberry creme savers.

Thanks,
Katie

Added: *sigh* And now my post makes no sense.

[ September 30, 2003, 01:30 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Deirdre
Member # 4200

- posted      Profile for Deirdre   Email Deirdre         Edit/Delete Post 
Katie,

Thanks for the reminder. I totally spaced it on the creme savers.

Katie

Posts: 1046 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toes
Member # 4603

- posted      Profile for Toes   Email Toes         Edit/Delete Post 
WOO! I love Scottish Gaelic!
Tha i bhoidheach! [Big Grin]

[ September 30, 2003, 06:29 PM: Message edited by: Toes ]

Posts: 84 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Editor-in-Chief
Member # 5014

Too bad I only remember a dozen words or so in Gaelic.

And too bad Annie never noticed my inflammatory remark. Alas.

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Well I'll be hornswaggled.

Them's a mightee nice parcel pf handy phrases, like - why I bet youse could hang jest aboot anywheres -

[Razz]

So, the next time I have a burning desire to know the correct way to form a grammatically perfect sentence, may I please e-mail you? You are truly amazing.

How do you do with slang American by the way? [Big Grin]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Editor-in-Chief
Member # 5014

The next time I have a burning desire to know the correct way to be sarcastic, may I please e-mail you? You are truly amazing. [Razz]

[ September 30, 2003, 10:52 PM: Message edited by: The Editor-in-Chief ]

blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I know as a senior in high school, I should have figured this out by now, but what is the difference between then and than? Also, are all of my commas proper in this post? I don't think they are, but I really have no idea what you use commas for, other than to make really long sentences.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
saxon75: Well, just goes to show what I know. It's not like I talk about shell scripting all that often anyway.

As for the name, well, it's mine. [Big Grin] And I happened to register it in time.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
blacwolve, here's a quick explanation of than v. then.

And here's one on comma usage.

[ September 30, 2003, 11:35 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Why Chief! I was even being half-way serious! Just a little sarcasm thrown in. For seasoning. But, yes, if you wish, you may e-mail me. Does that mean I may, or may not, e-mail you with my grammar questions or should I just post them here for all to discover the depths of my ignorance. [Angst]
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
You can blame me for seeing sarcasm where it wasn't intended; I alerted him to your post. Sorry. [Smile]

I'm sure Jon Boy would love it if you emailed him with questions. There are few things he likes better than answering language questions. You can email me too, for that matter, but I don't see the point, since I'd just ask him if I didn't know the answer. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
My husband keeps telling me boughten and dranken are not real words. I'm sure I've posted on this subject before. I'd like to thank Ed 'n Ch for the info. 'd is short for Would, id'n it? The last sentence I kept thinking all the 'lls should be 'ds. Was that on purpose?
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Shan, just remember that one of my other usernames is Sarcasm. If someone's sarcastic to me (even if they're halfway serious), I respond with sarcasm. It just means that I like you.

Pooka, which 'lls are you talking about?

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

I pass muster, then?

Phew!

MaureenJanay
Member # 2935

- posted      Profile for MaureenJanay   Email MaureenJanay         Edit/Delete Post 
PHEER /\/\Y L33t 5K1LLZ!
Posts: 264 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.