FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A serious thread

Author Topic: A serious thread
Yebor1
Member # 1380

- posted      Profile for Yebor1   Email Yebor1         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok here is an attempt to keep a serious thread on top.

Post all serious issues here and we can debate them on one thread.

[Hat]

Posts: 1661 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Do I wear my white socks with sky blue on them or my white socks with pink on them?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
Where do babies come from? [Wink]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NooB
Member # 5797

- posted      Profile for NooB   Email NooB         Edit/Delete Post 
Trolls
Posts: 18 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Ah Nick. This is a great topic for the serious thread. [Big Grin]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yebor1
Member # 1380

Ok i'll start

back when ARNOLD first showed an interest in american politics (sometime around the time he married a kennedy) i said it was a shame that he could never be president even if he wanted to or was qualified.

I dont see any harm in changing our ways. If a foreign born citizen wants to run for president they should be allowed to.

We already have the policy that a person can change his place of residence and run for office in a new state.

Are we shooting ourselves in the foot by not letting potential beneficial citizens of foreign birth not be our nations leaders?

I think the key word we need to remember is citizen. Hell they had to work harder than anyone of us who was born here to become one.
They appreciate what we have and how we work.
They usually know ten times what we know about The United States. In order to become citizens they have to pass a test half of us natural born citizens would fail miserably.

[Hat]

Posts: 1661 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nagaer
Member # 5796

- posted      Profile for Nagaer   Email Nagaer         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, are you being serious? If you are, I'm offended.
Posts: 13 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Dobies are cool... I am fighting the urge to dobie this thread right now. [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
If you behave and quit starting so many dobies and instead only post things that are interesting and intelligent and funny then you will get invited to the secret uber-hatrack board where only the truly cool people post.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yebor1
Member # 1380

I dont p[ost dobie's yet i have not been invited.

any way herer was a serious thread and comment with no repjy rebuttal or anything what gives?

[Hat]

ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
Yebor, you haven't been invited yet? I was hoping you'd invite me! [Smile]
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Obrom
Member # 5793

- posted      Profile for Obrom           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I dont see any harm in changing our ways. If a foreign born citizen wants to run for president they should be allowed to.
Yebor, personally I have no problem with banning foreign-born citizens from being president. Very few countries in history have ever voluntarily accepted foreign-born leaders; that's just the way people think, we want our leaders to be "one of us."

Since it is written into the constitution, it would take an amendment to change the natural-born citizen requirement. Amending the constitution is a long, drawn-out, expensive and contentious process and this issue would never get out of the starting gate. Personally, I think there are much broader and more meaningful political and social issues that deserve an amendment.
Anyway, its very unlikely anyone could ever get elected president if they were not American born.
Morbo

Posts: 14 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yebor1
Member # 1380

So because it is too hard and too long, we should shoot ourself in the foot and dny potentially great leadership the right to improve and partake in part ofour american political process?
They became citizens by busting their butts.
But they have less right than the ones who never had to do anything.
I woudn't want to take a little time get that passed instead of using part of the congressional session to decide how much their raises should be. IM sure they spend way to much time on stupid issues as it is.

As far the phobia of unnatural (what a joke unnatural) citizens thats just plain stupid.
Its called predjudice and against the law as far as i can tell. Where is the NAACP when we need them.

[Hat]

Yebor1
Member # 1380

[Hat]
Robespierre
Member # 5779

- posted      Profile for Robespierre   Email Robespierre         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Its called predjudice and against the law as far as i can tell. Where is the NAACP when we need them.

It is NOT against the law to vote against someone because they are a foreigner. You can vote for whatever reason you like, no matter how ill-concieved it is.

As for NAACP, they are likely busy hitting up big business for their protection money. That takes a lot of time.

Posts: 859 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yebor1
Member # 1380

I did not say voting for who you wanted was predujudice, I said discriminating against people wo were foriegn born was predjudice.

[Hat]

Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
After some research, I found out that here, in Brazil, someone must be born here in order to run for President too. It makes sense to me. Call it prejudice, if you like, but I guess people would stir a lot if there was otherwise.
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Never mind voting and electoral processes.

My serious question is this:

Is it okay to have sharp cheddar cheese with a blush wine, or is that totally plebian? [Dont Know]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yebor1
Member # 1380

definately plebotic

[Hat]

Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Ethics Gradient dubbed that smilie you keep posting, Robey, as the Ralphie stripping smilie.

I take issue with you using it so prolifically.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yebor1
Member # 1380

well ralphie my sweet, I have used it from the time I saw it as y trademark Hats off to ya.

A way to show my true southern character her in the forum.

[Hat]

Yebor1
Member # 1380

Ya know what the striping ralphie also gives it new meaning to me. I kinda like that thought.

Now it will have a double inuendo when i use it.

Hey look here is ralphie on stage

[Hat]

and here is the audience

[Party] [The Wave]

here is the evil me enjoying what i see

[Evil]

here is the good me

[Blushing]

and here is what ralphie thinks i should be doing right now.

[Monkeys] [Hail]

[Hat]

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I think we should work on electing someone who is either female or has a last name ending in a vowel before we open it up to foreign born folks.

The vowel thing was pointed out by my Arabic Prof. Though I guess he wasn't counting Monroe. He was bitter about Cuomo, I think.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yebor1
Member # 1380

I think this is america and everyone should have a free shot at it as long as they are a citizen.
Male
Female
Black
White
Arabic
Robey
Name ending in a vowel
aeiou and sometimes y

[Hat]

Robespierre
Member # 5779

- posted      Profile for Robespierre   Email Robespierre         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The vowel thing was pointed out by my Arabic Prof. Though I guess he wasn't counting Monroe.
Nor was he counting Kennedy or Fillmore.
Posts: 859 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
There is no call for being serious here yebor1. It greatly offends me that you do so.

-Rhaegar The Fool

Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yebor1
Member # 1380

well how many presidents have had a first name thast ended with a vowel maybe thats what he meant

Or maybe he was just lookinf for a arabic vowel [Hat]

Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
and here is what ralphie thinks i should be doing right now.
[Monkeys] [Hail]

Werd.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yebor1
Member # 1380

have you paid attention to have my post in this forum cant i have one place where i can be serious with a small humorous rotew once in a while just top let off some of this steam thawt has been building up inside of me.

[Hat]
\

Yebor1
Member # 1380

do i know ya or do i know ya gerl

[Hat]

[ November 07, 2003, 05:17 PM: Message edited by: Yebor1 ]

Scythrop
Member # 5731

- posted      Profile for Scythrop   Email Scythrop         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Very few countries in history have ever voluntarily accepted foreign-born leaders; that's just the way people think, we want our leaders to be "one of us."

It occurs to me that here in Oz, officially, at least, out head of state is in fact the queen of England, and that not only have we accepted it, but the nation ratified it at referrendum last time there was a vote on the issue.

It also occurs to me that her full title; Elizabeth Regina, ends in a vowel.

Other foreign born leaders that spring readily to mind would be Napoleon Bonaparte (Another vowl-er) and Hitler (Not a vowel, though.)

All things condsidered, I think these are probably compelling arguments for keeping the presidency "in da house"...

[Wink]

Posts: 466 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destructicus
Member # 5894

- posted      Profile for Destructicus   Email Destructicus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
well how many presidents have had a first name thast ended with a vowel maybe thats what he meant

George Washington
Theodore Roosevelt
Harry Truman
George Bush
George W. Bush

quote:
Or maybe he was just lookinf for a arabic vowel
Or maybe he just didn't know what he was talking about. Yet more evidence as to why you should never trust someone to be knowledgeable based solely on their possession of a piece of paper (given to them by someone else who probably has a similar scrap of parchment) that says they are.
Posts: 1 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starla*
Member # 5835

- posted      Profile for Starla*   Email Starla*         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Or maybe he just didn't know what he was talking about. Yet more evidence as to why you should never trust someone to be knowledgeable based solely on their possession of a piece of paper (given to them by someone else who probably has a similar scrap of parchment) that says they are.
Tres vrai, tres vrai...

We have a psycho communications professor over at my college. I, luckily, never had him as a professor, but I have heard horror stories from everyone who has.

He's usually teaches influences of Mass Media, and only analyzes the music industry, and improperly so.

He'll take songs, attribute them to the wrong band, and interepret the song improperly.

He'll tell the class one thing, and another the next.

He's openly prejudiced. And a bastard: he wants his sons to marry in America so he doesn't have to pay for a bride price, but he wants his daughters to marry in Africa so he gets money (he bragged about it to a class).

He'll tell student's to dress properly and professionally when making a presentation, but show up to class in a t-shirt and sweats.

There's so much more. He's been there for years, I'm surprised the university hasn't booted him. If anyone ever goes to Rowan University and has to take a communications course, at all costs avoid Prof. Ikpah.

No one is a complete expert. some people don't know much of anything.

Ah, C'est la vie......

Posts: 463 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is it okay to have sharp cheddar cheese with a blush wine, or is that totally plebian?
Oh, absolutely! But only if you also have Triscuit!

[Smile]

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starla*
Member # 5835

- posted      Profile for Starla*   Email Starla*         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, and welcome, Destructic [Wave] us
Posts: 463 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.