FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A quote to remember (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: A quote to remember
Gosu
Member # 5783

- posted      Profile for Gosu   Email Gosu         Edit/Delete Post 
Feel free to post any quotes that you feel should be noted; enlighten us.

"The object of war is not to die for your country; its to make the other guy die for his"

--quoted (not very well) from General Patton

Posts: 102 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
"Do not think that he who seeks to comfort you lives untroubled among the simple and quiet words that sometimes do you good. His life has much difficulty and sadness... were it otherwise, he would never have been able to find the words." --Rilke

[ October 21, 2003, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liquor and Fireworks
Member # 5785

- posted      Profile for Liquor and Fireworks   Email Liquor and Fireworks         Edit/Delete Post 
"You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone" - Al Capone
Posts: 331 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gosu
Member # 5783

- posted      Profile for Gosu   Email Gosu         Edit/Delete Post 
Whats the purpose of life?
for 2
tea for two

Posts: 102 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wieczorek
Member # 5565

- posted      Profile for wieczorek   Email wieczorek         Edit/Delete Post 
"No man is smart, except by comparison to those who know less"

-Edgar Watson Howe

Posts: 667 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
To paraphrase from plato, the wise man is the one who knows he knows nothing.
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Feyd Baron
Member # 1407

- posted      Profile for Feyd Baron   Email Feyd Baron         Edit/Delete Post 
“The truth is that life is hard and dangerous;
that those who seek their own happiness do not find it;
that those who are weak must suffer;
that those who demand love will be disappointed;
that those who are greedy will not be fed;
that those who seek peace will find strife;
that truth is only for the brave;
that joy is only for those who do not fear to be alone;
that life is only for the one who is not afraid to die.”

Joyce Carey

Posts: 1000 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
"It takes a lot of in- and outdoor schooling
To get adapted to my kind of fooling" - Robert Frost

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jacare
Member # 950

- posted      Profile for jacare   Email jacare         Edit/Delete Post 
Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth. ~Picasso
Posts: 175 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
"Every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a theif. They kill their inspiration, then sing about the grief.."
Bono [Smile]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Audeo
Member # 5130

- posted      Profile for Audeo   Email Audeo         Edit/Delete Post 
"That men would die was a matter of necessity; which men would die, though was a matter of circumstance, and Yossarian was willing to be the victim of anything but circumstance."

I have a personal journal of quotes, but this my favorite non-OSC quote.

Favorite OSC quote:

"Welcome to the human race. Nobody controls his own life, Ender. The best you can do is choose to fill the roles given you by good people, by people who live you."

Posts: 349 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
A man who tries to carry a cat by its tail finds a lesson that can be learned no other way. -- Mark Twain
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
"Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the trouble makers, the round pegs in the square holes, the ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules and they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, glorify or vilify them; about the only thing you can't do is ignore them because they change things, they push the human race forward. And while some see them as the "crazy ones" we see genius because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do."

-Apple Computers

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years."
-- Mark Twain

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
"The illusions of youth are best served cold in a waffle cone topped by the chopped up dreams of a thousand starving musicans and a drizzle of caramel. Oh yeah, and don't forget a dollop of marshmallow cream." -- Anon.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
"Ain't nobody nowhere livin' no dream world."

I don't know where I got this, but it sure makes life easier when I remember that it's hard for everybody, not just me.

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tonguetied&twisted
Member # 5159

- posted      Profile for tonguetied&twisted   Email tonguetied&twisted         Edit/Delete Post 
"Live as if you'll die tomorrow, but farm as though you'll live forever."
Posts: 1111 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
"Maturity is a bitter disappointment for which no remedy exists, unless laughter can be said to remedy anything." --Kurt Vonnegut

"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way." --KV

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Zal, that's not really anonymous, you know. It's from Bob's Big Book of Ice Cream Preference Personality Profiles.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
"There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion." - Sir Francis Bacon

"I like my beer cold, my TV loud and my homosexuals FA-laming." - Sir Homer Simpson

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
“There is no conceivable human action which custom has not at one time justified and at another condemned.”
--Joseph Wood Krutch

1. There is no other God but God. I have many names, and others worship me differently, but remember, I am everywhere. I am all gods for I am God. I am infinite and the mind of man cannot truly comprehend the infinite, so if others comprehend me differently, do not say they are wrong. They worship me. That is right.

2. Worship no Idols in my place. No statue or graven image is God. No book, tome or bible is God. No person, nation, or political group is God. Worshiping any of these instead of God is wrong.

3. Do not vainly use the name of God. Do not call upon God to curse others, or to aid you in war or in the harming of other creatures God has created. Do not blame God for the acts of men and women. Do not pray to me for minor things, for the winning of a sports event or the winning of a lottery or the need to refill your beer stein one more tim.

4. Do no work on the seventh day of the week. Or atleast take 1 day in seven to relax, enjoy the creation that is reality. Enjoy life, enjoy the world. Take 1 day in seven to remember God and think about all that we have. God does not need our praise every day, or proof of our piety hourly. However we need to talk with God dailly or weekly. If we need to prove our piety, then perhaps we are trying to prove it to ourselves. That means it is actually missing.

5. Honor your parents. Honor those who teach you. Honor history. Honor those who have come before and those who have sacrificed so you can have all that you have. The best way to honor those who have supported you, taught you, aided you, is to become the best you possible. The best way to thwart those who have belittled you, held you back, held you down, is to become the best you possible.

6. Do not kill anyone in your society. If they leave your society, kill only outof necessity. How you define your society will determine who you can kill. The more that are in your society, the closer you are to God. In Tribal times a society was everyone in your tribe accept those who broke the laws. In our times, most agree that it is anyone within your country, accept for those who broke the laws or threaten too do so imminetly. To others, their society includes all people of their religion, or all people in the world regardless of what laws they have broken. To some, society includes animals that others consider food. This is a call that each must make on their own.

7. Do not commit adultery. Do not break the heart of anyone.

8. Do not steal. Do not steal items, ideas, or talent. Do not steal people or assets or anything. Do not use force or words or the weaknesses of those you face to take what you have not earned. What you steal becomes less valuable because of that theft, for who shall make or buy another if it is taken from them.

9. Do not lie. The truth is precious and vital and easilly hidden by what we want to believe. Treasure truth and spread it when you can.

10. Do not covet. Do not compare yourself to another. They are not you. They do not travel the road that you travel, so do not compare the things or awards or fame that others garner. You do not know how much those cost the other person. Worry instead about your own things, your own life, your own fame. Let your life stand by itself, not in the shadow of others. That is how you have to live it.
- Dan Raven

It matters not whether you win or lose; what matters is whether I win or lose.
Darrin Weinberg

About a year ago someone posted a quote that explained why war was nessecary. It was a paragraph long, I don't remember who by. DOes anyone still have it? I thought I saved it but apparently I didn't.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 5108

- posted      Profile for Avatar300   Email Avatar300         Edit/Delete Post 
"America is a vast conspiracy designed to make you happy."
-John Updike

"America is great because she is good, and if America ever ceases to be good, America will cease to be great."
-Alexis de Tocqueville

"It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Last one...

"Turning from one's dreams is a greater death than failing to reach them. A far worse death...for one experiences it each day anew."
-L.E. Modesitt, Jr

Posts: 413 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tabithecat
Member # 5228

- posted      Profile for tabithecat   Email tabithecat         Edit/Delete Post 
"If you stand by the river long enough the body of your enemy will float by"
Chinese proverb

Posts: 122 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
"One of the peculiar features of our country is that we produce incompetent 18-year-olds and remarkably competent 30-year-olds. Americans at 18 typically score lower on standardized tests than 18-year-olds from other advanced countries. Watch them on their first few days working at McDonald's or behind the counter in chain drugstores, and it's obvious that they don't really know how to make change or keep the line moving. But by the time Americans are 30, they are the most competent people in the world. They produce a stronger and more vibrant private-sector economy; they produce scientific and technical advances that lead the world; they provide the world's best medical care; they create the strongest and most agile military the world has ever seen. And it's not just a few meritocrats at the top: American talent runs wide and deep. Why? Because from the age of 6 to 18, our kids live mostly in what I call Soft America -- the part of our society where there is little competition and accountability. In contrast, most Americans in the 12 years between ages 18 and 30 live mostly in Hard America -- the part of American life subject to competition and accountability; the military trains under live fire. Soft America seeks to instill self-esteem. Hard America plays for keeps."

-Michael Barone

"But when I return, we will talk of all of the these new wonders we have envisioned and we will savor the sky and be astonished again."

from a short story, not sure about the author anymore.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." --Einstein
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hazen
Member # 161

- posted      Profile for Hazen   Email Hazen         Edit/Delete Post 
For myself, I find I become less cynical rather than more--remembering my own sins and follies; and realize that men's hearts are not often as bad as their acts, and very seldom as bad as their words.
J. R. R. Tolkein

The right honourable gentleman is indebted to his memory for his jests and to his imagination for his facts.
Richard Brinsley Sheridan

Our first meal of chopped wheat would shame a dose of salts in its purging propensities.
Early Mormon Pioneer

Here is a quote I have been trying to track down for a while. It was supposed to be said by George Orwell in response to pacifists in the 20s and 30s. I have heard it quoted various ways, but no one has ever provided a citation. If any of you know where he said it, it would be a great help. It goes something like this:

No common man could believe such a thing. It takes an intellectual to be so stupid.

Posts: 285 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This is not a psychotic breakdown; it's a cleansing moment of clarity.
-Howard Beale, Network

quote:
Accept the things to which fate binds you, and love the people with whom fate brings you together, but do so with all your heart.
-Marcus Aurelius
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"

I'm not absolutely sure of the source on that one, but I think that it was George R. R. Martin.

[Edit--turns out that this is referred to as Hanlon's Razor, according to the results of a google search I just ran]

[ October 22, 2003, 10:25 AM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
I wrote my name upon the sand,
And trusted it would stand for aye;
But, soon, alas! The refluent sea,
Had washed my feeble lines away.
- Horatio Alger, Jr.

"This is not a novel to be tossed aside lightly. It should be thrown aside with great force."
- Dorothy Parker

Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Love the quotes, guys. I'm adding to my list on the wall.

The first three that always go up on my new office wall:

quote:
Look upon my works, ye Mighty, and Despair!
-- Ozymandias (er, Shelley [Wink] )

quote:
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.
-- Theodore Roosevelt, Speech at Sorbonne

quote:
But Physician was a composed man, who performed neither on his own trumpet, nor on the trumpets of other people. Many wonderful things did he see and hear, and much irreconcilable moral contradiction did he pass his life among; yet his equality of compassion was no more disturbed than the Divine Master's of all healing was. He went, like the rain, among the just and unjust, doing all the good he could, and neither proclaiming it in the synagogues nor at the corner of streets.
-- Dickens, Little Dorritt

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
When told he could not inade Morocco because it was illegal, President Theodeore Roosevelt responded thus.
"Why spoil the beauty of a thing with legalities."

"To converse with an equal and Irishman must converse with god."
"The almighty says dont change the subject and answer the ****in question."
"God says he can get me out of this mess but hes pretty sure your ****ed."
"He wasn't right in the head."
-Stephen- Braveheart

"Son, I have a shovel and a 44 and nobody will miss you."
-The Father in Clueless

[ October 22, 2003, 10:59 AM: Message edited by: Rhaegar The Fool ]

Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Those are great quotes, CT. I was familiar with the first one, of course, but not the second two.

I wish I had my quote book with me; I've got some great ones, and while I know their gist, I'd hate to mangle them by trying to write them from memory.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
"Damn you Luke! You have the attention span of a cockroach with ADD!"
-Ivan M- A stupid lil dude whos scared of his last name.

[ October 22, 2003, 11:05 AM: Message edited by: Rhaegar The Fool ]

Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Someday, you post yours and I'll post mine. Have you ever read the poem, Monet Refuses the Operation? The author wrote under the hypothesis that Monet was suffering from [cataracts], and she holds that this disease was not a burden to him, but a blessing. It's an excellent unusual take on the "definition of illness" question (which is yet another conversation we have to finish sometime [Smile] ).

quote:
Doctor, you say there are no haloes
around the streetlights in Paris
and what I see is an aberration
caused by old age, an affliction.
I tell you it has taken me all my life
to arrive at the vision of gas lamps as angels,
to soften and blur and finally banish
the edges you regret I don't see ...

... I will not return to a universe
of objects that don't know each other,
as if islands were not the lost children
of one great continent.

[ October 22, 2003, 02:04 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
"Never underestimate the power and beauty of human stupidity."

Jesse Blankenship, a friend of mine.

"On day three I shot a tiger in my pajama's. How he got in my pajama's I'll never know." Groucho

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." Inigo Montoya, Pricess Bride.

"Nobody's on nobody's side" Song from Chess.

"Never make a promise or plan
Take a little love where you can
Nobody's on nobody's side

Never stay to long in your bed
Never lose your heart use your head
Nobody's on nobody's side

Never take a strangers advice
Never let a friend fool you twice
Nobody's on nobody's side"

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
"He had not divested himself of Humanity by being an Attorney. Indeed nothing is more unjust than to carry our Prejudices against a Profession into private Life, and to borrow our Idea of a Man from our Opinion of his Calling."
-- Fielding, Tom Jones

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
"Every day, here and at home, we are warned about the enemy. But who is the enemy? Is it the alien? Well, we are all alien to one another. Is it the one who believes differently than we do? No, not at all, my friends. The enemy is fear. The enemy is ignorance. The enemy is the one who tells you that you must hate that which is different. Because, in the end, that hate will turn on you. And that same hate will destroy you."
Rev. Dexter, Babylon 5, And the Rock Cried Out, No Hiding Place

"You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."
Marcus Cole, Babylon 5, A Late Delivery from Avalon

The last quote thread

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
/me slays thread.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

"Sure clean lines are nice -- in everything from a dress to a baseball stadium to novel to a flesh wound -- but there's something pathetically ennobling about ragged edges. It's not because it's an unfinished look -- it's because it says something profound about the inappropriateness of the tool used and the clumsiness of the one wielding the tool. Ragged edges reek delightfully of blitheful amateurism." --Anon.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigma
Member # 4005

- posted      Profile for Enigma   Email Enigma         Edit/Delete Post 
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dream.
Wandering by lone sea breakers, and sitting by desolate streams.
World losers and world forsakers, for whom the pale moon gleams.
Yet we are movers and the shakers of the world forever it seems."
-Arthur O'Shaunessey

"True science is distinctively the study of useless things for the useful things will get studied without the aid of scientific men. To employ these rare minds on such work is like running a steam engine by burning diamonds."
-Charles Sanders Pierre

Posts: 21 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

"Always remember -- spoiled coleslaw is not the same thing as sauerkraut mixed with Miracle Whip." -- Anon.
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
CT, I love that poem by Shelley too. Not that it matters at all but shouldn't it be, "Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair" ? "upon" doesn't scan right.

Since I'm here I suppose I should add a favorite quote of my own, too.

quote:
11 And it came to pass that he commanded that their little children should be brought.

12 So they brought their little children and set them down upon the ground round about him, and Jesus stood in the midst; and the multitude gave way till they had all been brought unto him.

13 And it came to pass that when they had all been brought, and Jesus stood in the midst, he commanded the multitude that they should kneel down upon the ground.

14 And it came to pass that when they had knelt upon the ground, Jesus groaned within himself, and said: Father, I am troubled because of the wickedness of the people of the house of Israel.

15 And when he had said these words, he himself also knelt upon the earth; and behold he prayed unto the Father, and the things which he prayed cannot be written, and the multitude did bear record who heard him.

16 And after this manner do they bear record: The eye hath never seen, neither hath the ear heard, before, so great and marvelous things as we saw and heard Jesus speak unto the Father;

17 And no tongue can speak, neither can there be written by any man, neither can the hearts of men conceive so great and marvelous things as we both saw and heard Jesus speak; and no one can conceive of the joy which filled our souls at the time we heard him pray for us unto the Father.

18 And it came to pass that when Jesus had made an end of praying unto the Father, he arose; but so great was the joy of the multitude that they were overcome.

19 And it came to pass that Jesus spake unto them, and bade them arise.

20 And they arose from the earth, and he said unto them: Blessed are ye because of your faith. And now behold, my joy is full.

21 And when he had said these words, he wept, and the multitude bare record of it, and he took their little children, one by one, and blessed them, and prayed unto the Father for them.

22 And when he had done this he wept again;

23 And he spake unto the multitude, and said unto them: Behold your little ones.

24 And as they looked to behold they cast their eyes towards heaven, and they saw the heavens open, and they saw angels descending out of heaven as it were in the midst of fire; and they came down and encircled those little ones about, and they were encircled about with fire; and the angels did minister unto them.

3rd Nephi, chapter 17

[ October 22, 2003, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: ana kata ]

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, is that your version of the 10 commandments? I'm impressed.

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.
---Douglas Adams

"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth. "
---Niels Bohr

"But I said also (for the truth constrained me), Yet I have been seeking Tash [the devil of Narnia's world] all my days. Beloved, said the Glorious One, unless thy desire had been for me thou shouldst not have sought so long and so truly. For all find what they truly seek."
---C.S. Lewis, Chronicles of Narnia

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeweledHeart
Member # 5833

- posted      Profile for JeweledHeart   Email JeweledHeart         Edit/Delete Post 
"I hold it true whate'er befall, I feel it when I sorrow most; 'Tis better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all"
-Alfred Lord Tennyson

"Only the curious have something to find."
-This Side (a song by Nickel Creek)

Posts: 8 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leto II
Member # 2659

- posted      Profile for Leto II   Email Leto II         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In my estimation, more misery has been created by reformers than by any other force in human history. Show me someone who says, "Something must be done!" and I will show you a head full of vicious intentions that have no other outlet. What we must strive for always is to find the natural flow and go with it.
quote:
There should be a science of discontent. People need hard times and oppression to develop psychic muscles
quote:
Ultimately, all things are known because you want to believe you know.
quote:
Truth suffers from too much analysis.
quote:
There is no such thing as pure objectivity.
- Frank Herbert -
quote:
How often it is that the angry man rages denial of what his inner self is telling him
- Frank Herbert quoting Carl Jung -
Posts: 6907 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't WAIT for married life! Then I won't have to leave my home to beat the hell out of someone!

-Peter, from Family Guy

Family Guy is my road map to life. Or, at least, how life should be.

[ October 22, 2003, 11:18 PM: Message edited by: Book ]

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for suntranafs   Email suntranafs         Edit/Delete Post 
"Ah, how I love to BS"
-suntranafs

"To know that you know what you know, and that you do not know what you do not know; that is true knoledge"
-Confuse us

"If I go with a beggar, a carpenter, and a theif I will have three teachers"
also Confucius

"I gotta stop BSing now or I'll be cocky"
-suntranafs

[ October 22, 2003, 11:28 PM: Message edited by: suntranafs ]

Posts: 1103 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
he who dies with the most toys still dies.
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mormo
Member # 5799

- posted      Profile for Mormo           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is that a gun in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me?
The score never interested me, only the game.
When I'm good I'm very, very good, but when I'm bad, I'm better.
Look your best--who said love is blind?
An ounce of performance is worth pounds of promises.
Don't ever make the same mistake twice, unless it pays.
Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.
I'm a woman of very few words, but lots of action.

Mae West
Posts: 327 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mormo
Member # 5799

- posted      Profile for Mormo           Edit/Delete Post 
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
Self-Reliance
Ralph Waldo Emerson,

Posts: 327 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.