FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A quote to remember (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: A quote to remember
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
"When you use Mac OS X, you feel like it's yours; when you use Windows, you feel as though you're using someone else's toys, and Mrs. Microsoft keeps peeking in on you."

- New York Times

[Wink]

Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerryst316
Member # 5054

- posted      Profile for Jerryst316   Email Jerryst316         Edit/Delete Post 
"America isnt easy. America is advanced citizenship, youve gotta want it bad, 'cause its gonna put up a fight. Its gonna say you want free speech, lets see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil whose standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs, that which you would spend a life-time opposing at the top of yours. You wanna claim this land as a land of the free? Then the symbol of your country cannot just be a flag. It also has to be one of its citizens excersing his right to burn that flag in protest. Now show me that, celebrate that in your classrooms. Then you can stand up and sing about the land of the free". -The American President

"In an age of nothing, at a time when we stand at the brink of our own destruction,
strengthen your belief in yourself. In the future of humanity, in the things of this world which cannot easily be percieved. Awaken that which lies dormant now within your soul. Re-ignite the flame of your conciousness, and measure the strength of your conviction. Reveal the lie. Renounce your hatred. Seek, find, and embrace the truths you are fortunate enough to discover. Cherish them. Use them to anchor you in the sea of chaos that is the world we live in. When twilight drains near, when you are pushed to the very limits of your soul. When it seems that all you have left are the dead remnants of the fabric of your life, Believe. Simply believe." -Disturbed

Posts: 107 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
This has been annoying me all day.

"There, but for the grace of God, go I."

What is that from? It was in an essay we read in social studies today but my social studies teacher didn't know when I asked her. Is it a quote or just a common phrase? I know I've heard it multiple times...

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
THERE BUT FOR THE GRACE OF GOD GO I – “On seeing several criminals being led to the scaffold in the 16th century, English Protestant martyr John Bradford remarked, ‘There but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford.’ His words, without his name, are still very common ones today for expressing one’s blessings compared to the fate of another. Bradford was later burned at the stake as a heretic.” From the "Encyclopedia of Word and Phrase Origins" by Robert Hendrickson, Facts on File, New York, 1997.

This was taken from This web page
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
"Deliver this message."
-Enchantment

(I couldn't help it [Big Grin] )

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
"I can no answer give, but thanks, and thanks." - Henry V part II (?), Shakespeare.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
In portuguese:

"Tudo vale a pena
Se a alma não é pequena"
(Fernando Pessoa)

In english it goes like that:

"Everything is worthwhile
If the soul isn't small."

Well...in portugese it sounds better (and rhimes), but you got the message [Wink] .

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Dan! [Kiss]
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
Everything is possible except for skateboarding through a revolving door. - My motto.

-Rhaegar The Fool

Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I might repeat to myself slowly and soothingly, a list of quotations beautiful from minds profound - if I can remember any of the damn things.--Dorothy Parker
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.--Hunter S. Thompson.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
Procrastination is the key to success.

My motto.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liquor and Fireworks
Member # 5785

- posted      Profile for Liquor and Fireworks   Email Liquor and Fireworks         Edit/Delete Post 
All of these are from Emo Philips, a hilarious comedian.

When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bike. Then I realised that The Lord doesn't work that way, so I stole one and asked him to forgive me.

I was the kid next door's imaginary friend.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

How many people here have telekenetic powers? Raise my hand.

New York's such a wonderful city. Although I was at the library today. The guys are very rude. I said, "I'd like a card." He says, "You have to prove you're a citizen of New York." So I stabbed him.

People come up to me and say, "Emo, do people really come up to you?

You know what I hate? Indian givers...no, I take that back.

I was walking down fifth avenue today and I found a wallet, and I was gonna keep it, rather than return it, but I thought: well, if I lost a hundred and fifty dollars, how would I feel? And I realized I would want to be taught a lesson.

I love to go down to the schoolyard and watch all the little children jump up and down and run around yelling and screaming. They don't know I'm only using blanks.

Women: You can't live with them, and you can't get them to dress up in a skimpy little Nazi costume and beat you with a warm squash or something...

Probably the toughest time in anyone's life is when you have to murder a loved one because they're the devil.

There are plenty of other good quotes by him, but I don't feel like typing them up.

Posts: 331 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

EMMMMmmmmoo! What a weird comedian that guy was--totally original style and delivery,

I always liked this Emoism:
God and I have something in commmon--we both drive Galaxies.

Could be slightly off, I tried and failed to google the exact one-liner.

Liquor and Fireworks
Member # 5785

- posted      Profile for Liquor and Fireworks   Email Liquor and Fireworks         Edit/Delete Post 
Him and Steven Wright are hilarious, an example of Steven Wright:

The other day I...Oh wait, that wasn't me.

I spilled spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

I stayed up all night playing poker with tarot cards.
I got a full house and four people died.

I went to the hardware store and bought some used paint. It was in the shape
of a house. I also bought some batteries, but they weren't included.

I used to work in a fire hydrant factory.
You couldn't park anywhere near the place.

You can't have everything. Where would you put it?

A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.

I wrote a song, but I can't read music so I don't know what it is. Every once
in a while I'll be listening to the radio and I say, "I think I might have
written that.

When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box.
I was an only child....eventually.

Today I dialed a wrong number... The other person said, "Hello?" and I said,
"Hello, could I speak to Joey?"... They said, "Uh... I don't think so...
he's only 2 months old." I said, "I'll wait."

My house is made out of balsa wood, so when I want to scare the neighborhood
kids I lift it over my head and tell them to get out of my yard or I'll throw
it at them.

Posts: 331 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gottmorder
Member # 5039

- posted      Profile for Gottmorder   Email Gottmorder         Edit/Delete Post 
If I were motivated enough, i'd go upstairs and find that quote journal I have, but just to contradict everyone...

"A witty saying proves nothing." -Voltaire

[Razz]

Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.