FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Anyone with Firewire Networking Experience? :: geek help needed ::

Author Topic: Anyone with Firewire Networking Experience? :: geek help needed ::
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have experience getting TCP/IP to work under win2k? At the moment I have a win2k laptop that I want to network with a XPPro machine, and possible in the future get the two machines to network with a win2k3 server (I was able to get everything for about $10, so why not?). XP natively allows for TCP/IP for IEEE1392 but win2k doesn't....I've tried to use Unibrain's FireNet with no avail...meep help?
Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Woah there... I thought for a sec the title read "Anyone with firework experience? ::geek help needed::" [Eek!]
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

oh, no...I know plenty of piros...and in fact...know a smidge myself...hehehe
Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, they are easier to come buy than those with firewire networking experience. I have 2 XP Pro machines here (besides my linux workstations) that I could test with, but that wouldn't do much since you are using 2k.
Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, I've only had to do it with os x, which does it automagically like XP.

Though I do know it's a pain whenever XP bridges the firewire connection with the LAN -- it prevents dsl from working.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

i'm actually trying to bridge my school network connection with firewire...but currently it's not even finding the DHCP
Satyagraha

larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, my first thought was Macromedia's Fireworks graphics program, but I progress. Let me switch gears and digress. Could you describe your network setup? (Like this might help me figure this out. Probably just leave me doing this ==> [Wall Bash] .)

My knee jerk reaction though is to get a router. If your already have one... then I wanna know where you got a router that uses firewire over tcp/ip and the brand. I know that some Cisco routers have that option, but let's face it, Cisco is out of most of Jatraqueros's price range (including mine). (Please do not hurt me if I messed up on the pluralization and possession.) Incidently, if you do have such means to afford a Cisco router in your home, I will be happy to marry you or become your indentured servant for a time just so I can work on said network and router.

Anyways, how do you have your network setup? What wires go to what and so on.

Oh, firewire is IEEE1394 not IEEE1392. And while looking up some stuff, I found this short article: http://www.computer.org/proceedings/cluster/1116/11160155abs.htm .

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

hahaha...me buy a router....
this is for a simple three computer network, my server (Hooloovoo), my personal computer (Deepthought), and my laptop (Enguin), all in my dorm room, I don't have the money for a router, that's why I got a firewire card, I plan on using my server as the router, and the thing is, the two desk systems will still have direct 10/100 NICs directly into the school network, I'd just like to have an internal network as well for my own file transfers (because for the most part I'd be moving really large stuff, plus bragging rights). Hooloovoo has a 4 port IEEE 1394 card, DeepThought has and Audigy with the internal and external ports connected (so two ports), and Enguin has a 4-pin firewire port. At the moment, because I lack a network switch and Hooloovoo is KIA (with no OS and a dead CD drive) Deepthought is plugged into the network and has a second NIC which is currently connected to Enguin (crossover, of course) and Hooloovoo is completely unplugged from the network, for now I'd be very happy to be able to get Enguin to go connect via the firewire port so I can get Hooloovoo to boot from network via his NIC. But, I dream of having Hooloovoo and Deepthought both directly on the school network (and thus they have two public IPs), as well as hooloovoo running DHCP for an internal firewire network that would allow Enguin to go online. Of course it'd be easier to just put three network cards into Hooloovoo, but that just wouldn't be as 1337 [Big Grin] .
Satyagraha

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Trust me:

It is much more 133t to put three gigabit cards in your server and use that as a software router than it is to try to use a firewire network. It's even more 133t to get a Wireless-G four-port router for about a hundred bucks.

I want to know how, if you can't afford a router, you could afford a copy of Win2003 server.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but you have to have Gigabit NICs, I have 2 that I use at my home. No way to afford the cost of a switch.

I got this (firewire) working no prob from XP to Linux, with my linux box working as a masquerading router.

Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
If it's a three computer network, you can afford a router. You can get the things for $30, easy. You'll save a ton of headache, which is worth the expense right there.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

I can make a software router out of my two desktop systems, that's not the problem. My problem is getting win2k to do TCP/IP via firewire.
Satyagraha

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
According to a friend of mine who's tried this, getting TCP/IP to work over Firewire on Win2000, depending on your hardware, may require that you assign static IPs. He's using UniBrain emulation, too, and this is what he had to do to get it to work.

[ October 24, 2003, 12:29 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

Update:
I am still unable to get firewire TCP/IP under win2k but I have it between my two desktop machines. And I will continue to try to get it to work, though, it's not as important now because I was able to pick up an 802.11g router and card for $50. After NaNoWriMo I'm going to keep trying to get firewire networking running otherwise, i've got a whole lot of useless Firewire hardware...
Satyagraha

GreNME
Member # 3401

- posted      Profile for GreNME   Email GreNME         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, you may have to assign an IP to the 2K machine. Have you manually added the FW connection as a network device? You should be able to set up the bridging from there (via properties, under advanced, I believe) and set it static if it won't grab DHCP, which it may not.
Posts: 289 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
you can get a very decent 100 8 port switch for like 20 bucks. Just plug it in and go.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

I actually have a 24 port switch, which I bought for $100 two years ago, goodness, I love ebay, to say the leastI don't lack ports.
Satyagraha

[ November 11, 2003, 02:08 AM: Message edited by: BYuCnslr ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.