FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is Doctor Who Actually Any Good? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Is Doctor Who Actually Any Good?
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, oh, oh! And the famousest line "Where are we going?"
"Do you mean locationally or philosophically?"
"Philosophically, of course"
"Then we're going to lunch"
<smiles exchanged>

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Nostalgia factor Nine Mr. Sulu!
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] I can't tell you how relieved I am that it wasn't just nostalgia. My wife, who had previously thought very little of Dr. Who (she had previously seen Dr. Who, along with AD&D, Monty Python, and the like, as a marker of guys she was typically attracted to, but something that she didn't herself get a lot of pleasure from.) is wanting to know what episode I'm going to request next. I'm thinking Face of Evil, but I might go with the first episode in the Key to Time story arc instead.

Oh, and aka--I know! I couldn't believe, watching it, how many of my favorite Dr. Who quotes came from that one show!

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CelestialToymaker
Member # 5912

- posted      Profile for CelestialToymaker   Email CelestialToymaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Doctor Who is the best TV show ever made. (that I've seen, anyway. It's hard to imagine anything better though).

There's no nostalgia factor for me, I first saw it approx. five years ago. Been a fan ever since.

Love the Tom Baker,Davison, and McCoy doctors, enjoy everybody else.

Love the stories, the bubble wrap monsters, cardboard spaceships, dodgy science, cheesy villains, corny multiple doctor stories, and especially the theme music.

By the by, about that checkerboard floor in the Five Doctors? Yeah, if you watch the DVD commentary, the writer, Terrence Dicks admits that no one, including himself, has any idea about how the pi thing is supposed to work.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to say this but not being a particular Doctor Who fan, I keep reading this thread title as

"Is [there a] Doctor Who [is] Acutally Any Good"

And then I get confused every time I click on the link!

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Law Maker
Member # 5909

- posted      Profile for Law Maker   Email Law Maker         Edit/Delete Post 
Doctor Who is actually very good. The City of Death is one of the best ones to start on. The first of the Key to Time series called The Pirate Planet is also exceptional as it is also written by Douglas Adams.

Go to the Doctor Who Homepage . Here they have an episode guide with descriptions from The Discontinuity Guide and the Doctor Who Televison Companion. It's really helpful if you're trying do decide what episode to watch next.

Posts: 46 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
Is The Pirate Planet the one with Moons of Madness and Queen Xanxia and Mr. Fibulee? That one was awesome! Goodness, I can remember favorite jokes and quotes from that one as well. Douglas Adams rocks!

Or wait, wasn't that one the second segment to the key to time? I seem to remember the first one being hilarious too. Wasn't it the one with the Scringestone and the Schrivenzaal and Benroe the Heretic? That one was the first one with the first Romana. Gosh these are all just awesome. Wow, I'm such a geek! [Smile]

[ November 13, 2003, 11:02 PM: Message edited by: ana kata ]

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeffrey Getzin
Member # 1972

- posted      Profile for Jeffrey Getzin           Edit/Delete Post 
You're a geek? I have almost the entire series (and all of the Tom Baker episodes) on tape. (And no, I'm not going to replace them with DVDs. What would be the point?)

Jeff

Posts: 1692 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.