FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Huge solar flare headed for Earth!

Author Topic: Huge solar flare headed for Earth!
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsArticle.jhtml?type=scienceNews&storyID=3708895§ion=news

Batten down the hatches, kiddies! We might see some interesting power fluctuations and corona effects tomorrow! Doesn't look like a good day to fly....

Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a great read Aurora in New Mexico in 1992. I hope we get something like that this time.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a cool time lapse sequence showing the eruption. The peak is expected to hit us around midday today (for those of us in the eastern U.S.) give or take six hours or so. I know I'm going to look for auroras tonight. I hope it's clear. [Smile]

My cell phone reception was particularly bad yesterday, but I thought it might need charging up. Anyone notice any ill-effects in their GPS systems or anything? I wonder if we will have problems on the power grid today? Whee! This is fun! [Smile] Like geek Christmas!

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starla*
Member # 5835

- posted      Profile for Starla*   Email Starla*         Edit/Delete Post 
There have already been problems related to the flare here on Earth.

My mother works for a division of Verizon that monitors the phone systems of certain areas in New Jersey. She said alarms were going off and there were all related to wireless computer systems.

Should be fun when the thing hits at noon--- [Eek!]

Posts: 463 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaureenJanay
Member # 2935

- posted      Profile for MaureenJanay   Email MaureenJanay         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm having surgery tomorrow...will this affect me? I'm kind of scared of being put on a breathing machine if power grids could fail.
Posts: 264 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Your hospital probably has emergency backup generators. It's not like power outtages are a problem that has never happened before.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Hope things are going well for you, Maureen.

There is yet ANOTHER coronal discharge that is going to hit us this coming Thursday, according to today's online CNN:
quote:
(CNN) -- As Earth's magnetic field weathered a strong solar shock wave this week, the sun unleashed another powerful flare that could herald more geomagnetic storms on Thursday.

Our planet endured the brunt of the first storm Wednesday and early Thursday, hurled Tuesday by the third most powerful solar flare ever observed, without major problems.

But late Wednesday, solar scientists observed another big solar explosion, one of the top 20 on record, accompanied by another huge stream of supercharged gas headed in our direction. It could arrive as early as Thursday afternoon.

"It's like the Earth is looking right down the barrel of a giant gun pointed at us by the sun...and it's taken two big shots at us," said John Kohl of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics.

"I have not seen anything like it in my entire career as a solar physicist. The probability of this happening is so low that it is a statistical anomaly," he said in a statement Thursday.

Here is the link for the entire article:
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/space/10/30/solar.storm/index.html

Granted, the disruptions caused by these solar storms do not seem to be too serious. But I do have to wonder what is going on with the sun, to produce these anomalous eruptions from the solar interior. Could they be indications of some process going on in the sun that could ultimately have a serious effect on earth? Scientists are concerned about global warming caused by industrial pollutants. What if the overall output of the sun increases by a few percent, even just for a few years?

Remember what Revelation says will be the fourth of the seven last plagues: "Then the fourth angel poured out his bowl on the sun, and power was given to him to scorch men with fire. And men were scorched with great heat, and they blasphemed the name of God who has power over these plagues; and they did not repent and give Him glory." (Revelation 16:8, 9; NKJV)

Could it be that even before the fourth plague, there could be some early disruptions in the sun that could cause increasing difficulties on earth?

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Now that is interesting, Ron. I hope that it turns out to be idle speculation, but something very interesting to think on...
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it's so I can get another chance to see an aurora, since I went out to look for one and didn't see a thing. [Wall Bash]
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caleb Varns
Member # 946

- posted      Profile for Caleb Varns   Email Caleb Varns         Edit/Delete Post 
<plays along>

So Ron, is that before or after the four horsemen of the apocalypse?

If after, where/who are the horsemen?

If before, do you think maybe the fourth angel dropped his bowl on accident, thereby making his plague happen before the other three?

Posts: 1307 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in the same boat, Maccabeus--it was overcast in my area last night. So far today has been clear, though, so I'm hoping that tonight I'll get to see something.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
Noemon, it wasn't overcast here, though I suppose I might have been too close to the town lights despite going out several miles north.
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm
Member # 4653

- posted      Profile for Sarcasm           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If after, where/who are the horsemen?
Oh, come on. Everybody knows the answer to that.
Posts: 276 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.