FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » San Francisco Bay Area Hatrackers

Author Topic: San Francisco Bay Area Hatrackers
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm doing an externship in San Francisco this summer (May-August) and Ted will be joining me later on to work.

Right now I have the option of working at a place in Mill Valley, but am not limited to that area (I have not accepted anything as of yet, so am very flexible)

So-ooo, now comes the questions [Wink]

Our big question is housing:
A price range for a one bedroom apartment? (Or Bach.)

Transportation: I don't drive... can I get to the Mill Valley area (810 Panoramic Highway to be exact) without having a car?

Any other little whatnots you can tell us? *puppy dog eyes*

And of course, any chance of a get togeather? [Razz]

[ October 29, 2003, 12:52 PM: Message edited by: Jaiden ]

Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! This is exciting! [Big Grin] Yay get together!

I'm guessing one bedroom rent is somewhere around a thousand dollars. Craigslist is a good place to look..

Transportation: There are buses, but it doesn't look like any go to panoramic highway. See Bay Area Transit Information. BART doesn't go to the North Bay but it goes just about everywhere else.

I don't really know that much about the North Bay. I'm more of a peninsula, East Bay girl. Anyway, keep us posted!

[ October 29, 2003, 02:26 PM: Message edited by: esl ]

Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
having just moved here recently, i really can't help.
but i am WAY excited that you guys will be close, i am seeing a fabulous get together in the not too distance future...

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Craigslist is great.

1,000 is on the low end. Be prepared to pay closer to 1,200 - 1,400.

The North Bay has terrible public transportation. It's doable if you are a patient person who doesn't mind spending a lot of time on the bus, and the savings grace is that there a few options to get to San Francisco from the North Bay. In general, however, Mill Valley would be a bit of hassle without a car.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Check out this SF Chronicle story on the rental market. Granted, these averages are skewed a bit because it includes 2-3 bedroom appartments so maybe knock 150-300 dollars off of the average.

Also: Here's a fairly accurate description of Mill valley -- "Mill Valley appears at once as its true self – a suburban nest for the low-profile, artsy rich – and as a gingerbread village loaded with boutiques, restaurants and wine and coffee shops framed in dark wood."

In other words, it has its charms, but is one of those places that has morphed from bohemian into a breeding ground for the wine and cheese-tasting, volvo-driving, NPR-listening, artsy/artisan upper-middle class.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. [Wink]

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
esl- thanks! Craiglist is terrific *beams*

porcelain girl- [Big Grin]

Zalmoxis- I'll only (hopefully... hint hint nudge nudge Ted) be using the bus until Ted got there- then he can probably chauffer me around [Wink] I've always only used the bus, trust me I've grown patient *laughs*. I've heard Mill Valley is that way, but that's okay- I've talked to the people I could be working with and they sound terrific.

Thanks all! [Smile] [Big Grin] [Smile]

Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graywolfe
Member # 3852

- posted      Profile for graywolfe   Email graywolfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Rents in SF, and Berkeley and the South Bay and Peninsula tend to be outrageous. I found myself a two bedroom that was going for $1050 a month when I moved into Alameda (with a view of San Francisco via the beach right outside my apartment [Smile] ) back in December of '98. Now it's up to $1275 a month but it's still far more reasonable than most places in the bay area.

BART is the best avenue for getting around, but as others have mentioned, BART's limited to the East Bay, SF, and only a smidgen of the peninsula.

I had no idea there were so many fellow Hatrackers living in the bay area, I could only remember one before [Smile] . Great to hear that so many more live here! If you're a newbie to the bay area, you may want to check out the Castro Halloween Party in the Castro District of San Francisco tomorrow night. I've never been to anything like it, it really sums up the rather outrageous sides of the bay area. Unfortunately, (or fortunately for some) apparently the cops are cracking down on some of the more illegal aspects (getting hammered while drinking forties on the street, and perhaps the gratuitous nudity that occured in the past)of the party so it might not be as riotous as it's been in the past, but it should be fun. [Smile]

[ October 30, 2003, 09:43 PM: Message edited by: graywolfe ]

Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SirReal
Member # 5257

- posted      Profile for SirReal   Email SirReal         Edit/Delete Post 
Now that the Bay Area Hatrackers have come out of the woodwork, who's going to the book signing in San Rafael? It's on my birthday and I'd love to meet some of you.

Christopher

Posts: 172 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

quote:
I had no idea there were so many fellow bay area living Hatrackers here
LOL [Big Grin]
Yeah, there are a lot of dead Hatrackers in the bay area too.

Nick's in Sacramento and eslaine is somewhere around San Francisco too. They're all I can think of, who haven't posted here.

Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

:raises hand:

I wanted to go to the Hillsdale one but Wednesday's a bad day for me. So I'm going to the San Rafael siging, see you there!

graywolfe
Member # 3852

I'll edit that after I finish laughing, [Big Grin] . As you can certainly tell, I've never been noted for having an incredibly sophisticated understanding of grammar.

That isn't Hillsdale, as in Hillsdale in San Mateo is it? My home town?

Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

You know, it's not so funny after you edit it.

Yes, that's Hillsdale in San Mateo. Are you joking? What kind of Jatraquero are you to not even know Mr. Card's Bay Area stops? He's there in less than two weeks! Get your act together man! [Razz]

graywolfe
Member # 3852

I went to Hillsdale High School, graduated back in '93. It's just kind of surprising that Card will actually be there, I don't even know if they have a bookstore in that Mall anymore. The last time I was there, I think they got rid of the Walden. And B. Dalton I think has been gone for quite a while. A new super bookstore opened up opposite the place, though.

To be honest with you,I've never done the book signing thing, I just don't pay attention to that. Don't have a lot of interest, and whatever interest I tend to have is tempered by my fear that I'll be disappointed by the experience.

[ October 30, 2003, 11:07 PM: Message edited by: graywolfe ]

esl
Member # 3143

Wow [Big Grin] I went to Mills. We're in the same district.. We had track meets at Hillsdale. I only remember the time it started raining at the end and I still had to run. Fun stuff
graywolfe
Member # 3852

Holy ----, I ran track against Mills, and played Football against them. Well "Played" is diplomatic for, stayed glued to the sidelines with torn ligaments in my foot. Man, you're colors were hideous, absolutely hideous, but that doesn't mean much considering we featured powder blue, and salmon as our colors [Wink] . I was at Hillsdale from Fall '89 to Spring '93.
esl
Member # 3143

Our colors are NOT hideous. Scarlet and gold, not too shabby. You don't need to say that.. Hillsdale's not even our rival. That's kinda harsh [Smile]

And when I say I ran, I mean I'm one of those people the coach has to have on the team cuz he accepts everyone.

I just graduated 2002. Which college did you go to?

ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be in San Mateo for a few weeks, coming up soon here. I will be working most of the time, I expect, but if any Bay area hatrackers want to meet, I will probably get at least a little time free. I never get to see the sights when I'm traveling for work but at least the weather is lovely in San Francisco. [Smile] And the restaurants are good, too! I'll have to get some recommendations for good restaurants from some of you natives, before I go.

Wow, I'm really glad I looked at this thread again because I didn't even realize this was going on. It's quite possible I'll be in San Mateo for this! Whee!!!

SAN MATEO, CA — November 12th
Barnes & Noble
11 West Hillsdale Blvd, Hillsdale Shopping Center — 7:00 PM

[ October 31, 2003, 11:21 AM: Message edited by: ana kata ]

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graywolfe
Member # 3852

I never liked you're colors, hated the color combo. Ours was more attractive, to me, but also a bit more fey, certainly not imposing. And you're right, we weren't rivals, Aragon was Hillsdale's chief Rival, and to a lesser extent San Mateo High (where my dad went in the late fifties).

I graduated, went to CSM (or as they used to call it, Harvard on the Hill, or College of Small Minds)before transferring to Cal Berkeley in the Spring of '96, graduated from Cal in December of '97.

I was actually pretty skilled in Track, not outrageously good, but good enough to qualify for the P.A.L Tournament in May in the 100 meters, the 200 meters, and the 400 meters, and I ran on Relay Teams (4X100, and 4x400) that made the CCS Finals in '91 and '93. Not too bad. Now I'm completely out of shape and fighting to get back into it, unfortunately, unless you really stay on top of things (and I didn't), you really can lose it in terms of staying in shape in your mid-twenties.

As for San Mateo, I live on the other side of the Bay now in Alameda, but if there's any chance I can make it, I'll try. Hmmm, trying to think of great places to eat, unfortunately a lot of my favorites closed down. The Mountain House is absolutely amazing, but it's a long scenic drive away. I also love the food all over Berkeley, Pasand's has a nice Indian Buffet, The Blue Nile has nice Ethiopian, Berkeley Thai House is Great for Thai, Cafe De La Paz is great for Brazilian/Argentinian food.

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Cafe de la Paz rocks. They catered my wedding reception back before they expanded. Awesome food. The Blue Nile is the best Ethiopian -- others I've tried just aren't as good. I'm not a fan of Pasand's, however.

It's pricey (so I've only eaten their once), but Nan Yang, a Burmese place, is one of the most interesting, fabulous dining experiences I've ever had.

graywolfe
Member # 3852

I understand, Pasands does a few things well, and I tend to like those things a lot, any Indian place you can recommend? I tend to like to try them out via a buffet to see if they can do my favorite dishes fairly well. Pasands may not be great, but it is better than the two crummy Indian Restaurants that I've been to in Alameda, and better than the only other place I went to in Berkeley. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated [Smile] .
ana kata
Member # 5666

I've never had Ethiopian, I've never had Burmese, I've never even had Indian! There aren't any of those in my town! [Smile] I can't wait to try these places! [Smile]
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graywolfe
Member # 3852

I still got the top 100 cheap eats, and top 100 restaurants guides to the bay area, if you're interested. I haven't had Burmese either, and am quite interested. I really need to start spending more time in that east bay international dining scene again.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
ana kata, you have to do Ethiopian. There's various vegetable and meat purees/stews served in little individual piles on this huge, flat, spongy lemonish pancake. You use the pancake to scoop up bits of the sauced stuff. No forks, and you end up really cleaning the plate. MMMMmmm! You'll love it!

[ November 01, 2003, 09:07 AM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
*seconds the suggestion for Ethiopian*

There's an Ethiopian place a few blocks from my apartment (I live near a place called the Loop, which has a large variety of restaurants), and it's fantastic. Cheap, too, for large groups.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graywolfe
Member # 3852

The injera, is like a tiny thin pancake styled bread that is cast across the dinner plate, they also give you extra's (sort of in the vein of extra fajita wraps you might get at a Mexican restaurant) at The Blue Nile. The food is often hyper spicy (and graywolfe likes his Ethiopian food spicy [Smile] ), and the finishing touch is to let the bread that's cast across your plate absorb the flavors of whatever dishes you are served, if you order several, or even just one. It makes for a lovely, culinary finishing touch. Wonderful stuff.

Ethiopian, Thai, Vietnamese, Korean, Mexican, Latin American, Italian, heck there's even some fondue places around. I'm starting to miss the Blue Nile, now that I'm talking about it. I havent been there since around '97.

esl
Member # 3143

Wow, I never knew I was missing out on so much of the food scene. Ethiopian, Brazilian, Burmese.. sheesh. I've only had Mexican, Italian, Japanese, Chinese and American. I'm so sheltered.
graywolfe
Member # 3852

Well, you can't miss with the food cultures you have dabbled in, but Vietnamese, Thai, Indian, Korean (and I imagine Burmese) are just four or five of the many Asian Cultural Culinary delights one can find in the bay area. There's great food all over the bloody place, one of the main reasons I love to live in the bay area (besides the scenery, people, beaches, mountains, wine, and sports scene), one really realizes how special things are, here, when you road trip out of state. My parents moved to Nevada and I still can't find any quality Asian food (from any of the countries mentioned) or Latin American food.
Wetchik
Member # 3609

- posted      Profile for Wetchik   Email Wetchik         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Nick's in Sacramento
Indeed I am from Elk Grove--a suburb of Sacramento--, San Francisco is a good 2 solid hours away from my area. [Smile]
Posts: 354 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graywolfe
Member # 3852

Not if you drive like me. [Wink]
ana kata
Member # 5666

Darn, I'm going to miss the November 12th signing. Looks like I'm going to be in San Mateo starting December 1st and lasting for several weeks, depending on how long it takes to get things up and running. If anyone would like to get together, let me know. I'll be working most of the time but hopefully will be able to take some time off too. [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.