FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » An Experiment in Sleep Deprivation (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: An Experiment in Sleep Deprivation
Taberah
Member # 4014

- posted      Profile for Taberah           Edit/Delete Post 
Boring movies are one route to sleep; another option is the printed word. If you're trying to stay awake, then by all means avoid Russian liturature or texts on tax law.

On the other hand, there may be books that will provide special insight at this stage in your "experiment." I suppose that the works of James Joyce might become curiously lucid, and Nietzsche may be absolutely mind-blowing. Why mess yourself up with LSD when you can simply combine sleep deprivation with modern philosophy?

Incidentally, I wrote a paper on sleep when I was in college (available on request), which led me to some interesting conclusions. It was beautifully ironic that I pulled an all-nighter writing it.

Posts: 224 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
eddie, pump out a couple paintings for us while you're still awake!

that is the true technique of surrealism.
do it do it do it.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been doodling a few masterpieces in Microsoft Paint. Maybe I'll try selling them on EBay.

I'm not feeling crazy or shaky anymore, however. I'm a little disappointed.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
This has got to be unhealthy.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Eddie, I've got some good meds. [Wink]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

mack, I really hope you don't have any meds that are going to make me more shaky or more crazy. [Razz]

Actually, I'm feeling a bit better. I talked to a gallon of milk.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Did it have anything to say for itself? Or did it give you the cold shoulder?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

I don't speak milk. For all I know, it could've told me the meaning of life.
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Pfft. Eddie. The meds I have COUNTERACT those tendencies, dear. [Smile]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

WELL THEN WHAT GOOD ARE THEY GOING TO DO ME?!
Frisco
Member # 3765

Sorry I yelled.
mackillian
Member # 586

--I--
mackillian
Member # 586

YOU ******* WILL BE!
Frisco
Member # 3765

I was feeling happy because I'm feeling more awake (and because I had my slippers on the wrong feet for the last three hours).

But now I'm sad because I'm out of popcorn.

Narf!

Frisco
Member # 3765

So nothing special happened at the 60 hour mark.

No new twitches, my heart is still beating faitly regularly, and other than that time I went blind for six seconds, my eyes don't hurt.

I want side-effects, dammit!

Frisco
Member # 3765

I'm not sure IMesh can keep downloading movies at the rate at which I'm watching them.

I suppose I could just read, but the letters in my books are all blurry. Maybe I got them wet sometime and the ink ran.

pajeba
Member # 5656

- posted      Profile for pajeba           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the letters in my books are all blurry
I definately think wet ink is to blame there. What hour are you on now anyway?
Posts: 233 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

*checks watch*

I lied. I don't own a watch.

Starla*
Member # 5835

- posted      Profile for Starla*   Email Starla*         Edit/Delete Post 
Sheesh. [Razz]

The lucid dreaming thing....a kid did an informative speech in my Public speaking class on that, but that was three years ago. I think he said if you keep a piece of paper with something written on it at all times (waking, and sleeping), And try to tell yourself to lucid dream.

He also said you'd get confused too--and to pull out the piece of paper and see if the same thing is written on it. If you can't read it, or it's different, youre lucid dreaming.

Always tried to do it. Then got lazy. Now doesn't get much sleep at all.

Posts: 463 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

This is getting less and less spectacular for me.

I mean, I suppose eventually something will have to happen.

On a down note, I set my fuzzy slippers on fire. Well, not exactly on fire, but I set them on my heater, went into the living room to play a game of Starcraft, and when I came back, they were stinking up my room and stuck to the heater.

They're okay, though, aside from some singed hair, which is tinted orange for some odd reason.

68 hours down.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
There's a natural anticlimactic feel to something like this, Frisco. The end that is to come, the end that must be. If you define the goal as "staying awake," then eventually you must fail -- but if you define the goal as something like "staying awake longer than I ever have," or "til the haze makes it meaningless," or some such, then you can actually win.

Just don't let it be like the insult stalker I once saw on another forum. He made it a point to horrifically insult this other guy every time the other guy posted. When the guy being insulted refused to pay any attention to the insults, everyone realized that the first guy was completely screwed. As soon as he stopped insulting, he by default lost the pissing match.

(Man, what a loser. [Frown] )

But the point is, pick your battles. Make this a valiant -- but winnable -- fight.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

I do have a side goal...to stay up longer than I ever have.

But I also want to know my limit, to the extent I can with minimal variables.

I also need the practice. I drive cross-country a lot, and while I love to drive, I hate for trips to take longer than they have to.

And above all, I like to change up my sleep schedule. Probably for the same reasons I move every 4-10 months, change my facial hair biweekly, and mix up my day-to-day activities fairly often.

It's wanderlust mixed with ADD, and it's a trip.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
also need the practice. I drive cross-country a lot, and while I love to drive, I hate for trips to take longer than they have to.
I'm all for the "know your limits," but just remember that a large percentage of car crashes have sleep deprivation as a factor. Your reaction times and cognitive function will be diminished without your even realizing it.

One of my colleagues fell asleep at the wheel and rear-ended someone in his first year of residency. (coming off a 36-hr shift) He did exactly the same thing in his third year of residency, and believe me, there was plenty of practice in between.

Luckily, nobody was seriously hurt. Unluckily, the second time he rear-ended a lawyer. Luckily, her response was to lead her congregation in a prayer for the sleep-deprived residents (a nurse from her church relayed this to us). [Smile]

And even more amazingly, two and a half years later, we now have restricted work hours. [Big Grin] Must've been a heckuva prayer.

quote:
"Eyes wide shut: The dangers of sleepy driving," by MW Mahowald in Minnesota Medicine, 2000 Aug;83(8):25-30.

Department of Neurology, University of Minnesota Medical School, USA.

Abstract: Most Americans are chronically sleep-deprived. However, few people are aware of the extent to which sleep deprivation impairs cognitive functioning. In the United States, at least 56,000 motor vehicle crashes (MVCs) each year, resulting in 1,550 deaths and thousands more nonfatal injuries, are attributed to sleepiness behind the wheel. As lawsuits from fall-asleep MVCs mount, individuals, the transportation industry, public policymakers, and the legal profession are starting to take notice.

[ November 09, 2003, 10:11 AM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

Oh, believe me. I know my limits on the road. I'm closing in on 250,000 miles without an accident.

A little practice never hurts, though.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Okay. [Cool]

I put my faith in the Eddies.

(But I'll borrow mack's stick if you put yourself in danger. [Mad] [Cry] [Kiss]

And then I'll come laugh at you scornfully. [Laugh] And then thwack you again. [Evil Laugh] )

Frisco
Member # 3765

Don't put your faith in every Eddie.

That Lalo guy's a flake. [Wink]

Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, at this rate Eddie, you might reach your 3000 post before your head hits a pillow.
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder what the world record is...
Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

Well, don't expect a landmark or anything. [Razz]

So my fingers are numb. I discovered that my roommate had an NES emulator.

We found a video card with a controller port, and I have rekindled my love for Nintendo. True, I beat Contra in about 15 minutes...but it was fun.

Next is Mario Kart.

The fact that I've been awake for 72.5 hours and not freaked out is making me freak out.

Once again, I demand side effects!

rivka
Member # 4859

Imagining that you are a long-time participant on a BBS with many imaginary people -- who, in your dream world, respond to you, which is more than the milk or the hamper do -- is not enough of a side-effect?

You're starting to believe that we're real, aren't you? Excellent. [Evil]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Once again, I demand side effects!
Well, you've gotten a little whiny, does that count? [Wink] [Taunt]
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taberah
Member # 4014

- posted      Profile for Taberah           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I wonder what the world record is...
As far as I know, the world record is held by Randy Gardner, a then 17-year old Californian who decided to break the world record for sleeplessness in January of 1964. He was able to stay awake for 264 hours--just over 11 days.
Posts: 224 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

Damn...I should've been documenting. I feel like a million bucks.

Though I have been tempted to drink the one Coke that's in our fridge.

Frisco
Member # 3765

WooHoo! I'm seeing little things moving out of the corners of my eyes!

It's a start...but I want more! I want the Queen of England doing a pole dance on my camera tripod while she's holding a chia pet!

And she'd better make it snappy. She's already waited 77.5 hours.

rivka
Member # 4859

Ok, Frisco.

Line this little group up with the bottom of your screen so they just barely disappear: [The Wave]

Now you can see little things moving out of the fronts of your eyes. [Wink]

Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
That effect has already been dubbed "The Gay Train™" by Ralphie.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Nonono. The entire graemlin is TGT. The little bits that seem to scuttle across the screen when most of the train is obscured -- well, that's just plain creepy! [Big Grin]
Polemarch
Member # 3293

- posted      Profile for Polemarch   Email Polemarch         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that if you were to open a book right now, the letters would start re-arranging themselves. At least, that's happened to me before. Mark Twain can be really trippy, if you give him a chance. [Smile]

[ November 09, 2003, 10:29 PM: Message edited by: Polemarch ]

Posts: 468 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

Back home for the home stretch. Four hours seems like nothing.

I've given up hope that my delusions will become more severe. Oh, well. Maybe next time.

Guess I'll kill some more time with Nintendo.

mackillian
Member # 586

Are we talking old-school nintendo?
Frisco
Member # 3765

Word up.

Contra, Rad Racer, Tetris, Mario 3, Kung Fu, Punch-Out, Blades of Steel, TMNT.

I think if I went out and found Bubble Bobble, I could stay up three more days.

mackillian
Member # 586

That's awesome. My friends and I went head to head with Super Mario Bros. last night. Of course, it took some time getting the cartridges to work. [Smile]
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
We should organize a pool to predict when Frisco will crash. I put a buck down on 8am today.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
My hat's off to you. Pains me to say it, but I'm not young enough to do this sort of thing anymore.
Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
We should organize a pool to predict when Frisco will crash.
Ok, I'm in! Put me down for noon Monday. [Big Grin]
Frisco
Member # 3765

Hey! My 86 hours is up on 50 minutes! Unless somebody pays me off, I plan on sleeping!

Where's peter the bookie when you need him?

Actually, with my new Nintendo and every game every made, I could be up for a long, long time.

aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
"Unluckily, the second time he rear-ended a lawyer. Luckily, her response was to lead her congregation in a prayer for the sleep-deprived residents"

Woulda been better if she had sued the hell out of the hospital administrators to the point that employee insurance coverage would have been exhausted. NObody should be forced to make life or death decisions under conditions producing sleep deprivation upon pain of being banned from practicing their chosen profession.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

Sounds like somebody needs a nap.
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Naw, been having some naps. Otherwise, been awake considerably longer than you have.
What I need is sleep, as in more than 8hours.

Nonetheless, hospital administrators are murdering patients to save a few bucks by overworking their residents.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

8 hours?! Does that mean I can start telling people I haven't slept since high school?

Although I've passed my personal best, I probably have enough adrenaline running through my veins from playing Punch-Out to stay up for about another week.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.