FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Eddie to the rescue; or, every time you use the hug emoticon, God kills a kitten. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Eddie to the rescue; or, every time you use the hug emoticon, God kills a kitten.
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
A friend just IMed me, telling me, and I quote:

"Oh my god, some of these threads are frightening me with the overabundance of smilies
Please help
There's got to be a way to fight them."

And so there is.

Clearly, the unnamed woman -- let's call her "Jeni," for hypothetical purposes -- has turned to me for my leadership abilities. And thus, with those selfsame leadership abilities, I declare a ban on obnoxious emoticons. No more Gay Trains. No more Post-Apocalyptic Mutant Hugs. And, god help me, no "online hugs" like "(((Eddie)))."

We hate them. And by we, I mean the people. And by the people, I mean everyone who isn't you. Using these smilies is not clever, it's not sensitive, and a "hug" smilie (or, god help me, hug parenthesis) is NOT an actual hug and it's more than a little pathetic to use it as such.

If our demands are not carried through, we may be forced to go to extreme measures. Such as, yes, requesting that the Cards install new emoticons for every possible use. Mackillian's trademark --I--, for example, will change from the innocent, if freakish, letter it is today into a much more graphic hand gesture unfriendly to children and motorists. Icarus, or "Buns" as he prefers to be called, may demand a ( I ) emoticon, which would quickly destroy whatever "family-friendly" image this forum's been trying to preserve. Conservatives, while already well-represented by the [Monkeys] emoticon, may very well demand a "paranoid" or "righteous" emoticon. Liberals will, of course, require more hugging emoticons, which will only cause a domino effect.

Myself, while I'm somewhat represented by the [Kiss] emoticon, will demand more graphic examples of round yellow heads getting it on, to the extent that minors will no longer be allowed to view this forum, and adults risk perversion of their inner child to visit it.

Clearly, something must be done. So from here on out, emoticons are allowed only once per three hundred words. If you have nothing to say but some obnoxious hugging or Dancing Seven-Up Spots emoticons, clearly, you have nothing to say.

And I just know someone -- Scott, probably -- is going to respond to this post with an (((Eddie))). No matter. We will have him executed once we're in power.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wussy Actor
Member # 5937

- posted      Profile for Wussy Actor   Email Wussy Actor         Edit/Delete Post 
Hear hear.

I do take exception to the "hugging liberals" reference. Don't you know we have a secret handshake?

Posts: 288 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
[The Wave] [Party] [Group Hug]
meh.

Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
There, there Eddie. Looks like someone needs a cookie.
Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
[Hat] [Smile] [Cool] [Evil Laugh] [Hail] [Wall Bash] [Wave] [ROFL]
Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Far be it from me to disappoint you.

(((Eddie)))

In case you didn't get that, (((Lalo))).

Bring it on, Whiteshoes.

Of course, the irony of this is that I have never (()) anyone before.

[ November 17, 2003, 09:55 AM: Message edited by: Scott R ]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
In case it hasn't been posted on the thread with 4 of them in the title, I must point out that (()) looks far more like a part of the female anatomy then a hug.
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the dark side, Eddie. --I--
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
[The Wave]
Does this [Eek!] mean [ROFL] I don't [Roll Eyes] have to [Wink] pay to [Taunt] have my cat neutered [Confused] ???

((((((((Eddie)))))))
[Group Hug]

Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
(((((((((((Lalo))))))))))))
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
*is totally impressed that LadyDove actually gave Eddie a cookie*
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Xavier. I will never be able to look at the hug thread title again.
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
I have never had such an urge to use the hug smilie as now. (Please, please, please kill my roommates' cats so I can stop sneezing. Please. They mysteriously appeared while I was in Germany despite my having said many times before that I hate cats and am allergic to them. I refrain from kicking the bastards because my roommate is a blackbelt in tai kwon do and is one of few people I really think could kick my ass, but she won't know if I kill them through hugging people online.)

[Group Hug] [Group Hug] [Group Hug] [Group Hug] [Group Hug] [Group Hug] [Group Hug] [Group Hug]

I hate cats. At least, I hate cats that live with me, and am indifferent to cats that live elsewhere.

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my gosh! (((((kitten)))))

Good grief people, loosen up. Take some Metamucil. [Wink]

(((((everyone on this thread))))) [Razz]

[Big Grin]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
(((((cats)))))
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that the "new" smilies are decreasing the quality of the boards.

In particular, they KILL The Funny. While the LOTR Cheerleaders and Hug Dispensers* may not understand the importance of that, if The Funny is gone, so will be a very large portion of Hatrack's charm.

(*not those who do or have hugged, but those who's primary purpose is to dispense names surrounded by parentheses.)

Lalo - I got your back, yo.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

Not only do they kill The Funny (which I agree that they do), they're also just flat out distracting. I can't read when there's a bunch of multicolored guys waving and jumping around the page. Trying gives me a headache.

Maybe I'm just turning into an old curmudgeon.

Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*razz*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
You can't tell me you guys don't like THIS smiley! [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

I hope the mod smites you all. Before the smilies, there was wailing and gnashing of teeth because the board was without them. Now that they're here, there is much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

All of this talk about smilies doesn't address the really important question, anyways, which is, when will we get to have massive .gif/jpeg sigs or little avatars under our names?

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

I used 8 frickin' smilies and the damned cats still seem to be alive. I feel ripped off, Eddie. Come kill my roommates' cats.
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

Yeah, great question Storm. It would be really cool to have a permanent pic under our names.
[Razz]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Smilies!
Give me smilies and nothing but!
A dancing dot I can't shut,
If it's uncut,
and unsubt-le.
[Party]

I've never quibbled
If it wriggled,
[The Wave]
I would be gleeful when others merely giggled.
As the judge remarked the day that he
acquitted my Aunt Hortense,
"To be a smilie
It must be ut-terly without redeeming social importance."

Hug-ging smilies I adore!
Laughing, dancing, perhaps a snore,
I like them more
When they kiss the floor.

(Bring on the [Evil] s, [Laugh] s, [Blushing] s, [Grumble] s,
[Wave] s, stained-glass windows, tattoos, anything!
More, more, I'm still not satisfied!)

[Taunt]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

quote:
You can't tell me you guys don't like THIS smiley! [Evil Laugh]
Don't bet the mortgage on it.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

[Evil Laugh]
[Razz] <--my other favorite

Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka, that was AWESOME! [ROFL]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

quote:
I hope the mod smites you all. Before the smilies, there was wailing and gnashing of teeth because the board was without them. Now that they're here, there is much wailing and gnashing of teeth.
Stormy, it's not the fact that they're smilies. It's that they're so IN YOUR FACE.

I like this little guy: [Monkeys] He's kind of cute. But that's because you can only use him in just so many instances, and so he retains his cuteness.

People overuse the colorful ones because... hell, I don't know why they do it. But it does take away from The Funny, which is a bleedin' crime.

EruWhatever - Be a sport and please don't overuse [Razz] . He's one of the few that doesn't kill The Funny.

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

I agree with what you're saying, Ralphie. [Smile]
Ophelia
Member # 653

Me too, but I'm still bitter about the lack of advertised cat-death.
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Look Ophelia, you're just going to have to matters into your own hands. You're allergic to cat hair? Then shave the yowling critters. Or set them on fire. You have to be more proactive.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Different smiles would be okay if any of them fit with the overall theme. Color, sizing, shading and highlighting are all completely different for each smiley. It's annoying. The new smiles just crowd the page and breakup otherwise legible posts.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Umm, Ralphie? I uh.

Well, you see, it was dark and foggy out when, erhm.

Okay, so I was trying out my new Red Ryder BB-gun, and it just jumped out at me.

Oh, heck, here take this.

*Unstraps backpack, places it in the middle of the thread*

*The fermenting fragrance of fetid Funny floats free in the forum*

Sorry about that.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

quote:
*The fermenting fragrance of fetid Funny floats free in the forum*

Bloody Alliteraffic.

And it's not you killing The Funny, Bok. Never you.

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

You know, in looking over the threads, it's clear that the smilies aren't the problem, it's those DAMN kids! I would say that most of the smilies are being used by the under 18 crowd. [Mad]

Look, kids. We older folks understand you're full of vim and vigor and bouncing off the wall with your suppressed sexual longings. That's cool. We've been there. But look. There are better ways of working this out than burning out our eyeballs with 24 watt smilies.

Ease back on the smilies, yo.(<---Use of 'in terms' to mark me as a person 'down' with the young crowd.) Go into the bathroom and take care of business. Go jog. Put certain poster's e-mail addresses on romantic mailing lists. They'll appreciate the extra mail, I swear. But for the love of Bob, you gots to quit posting so many verdamnt smilies in one post. There are other keys besides the colon and the parentheses. Live a little.

Jeni
Member # 1454

Stormy is my hero.
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Ain't the use. It's the overuse and misuse. And parenthehugs are still better than aka's pointy-elbow ones.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

quote:
Stormy is my hero.
Werd.
Ophelia
Member # 653

quote:
Look Ophelia, you're just going to have to matters into your own hands. You're allergic to cat hair? Then shave the yowling critters. Or set them on fire. You have to be more proactive.
Yeah, see, that's the part where my roommates kill me. Well, the one who actually got them might be amused if I set them on fire, but the other one, who seems to care a lot more about them than their real owner (and who is already giving me the silent treatment because I told her I hate Thanksgiving), would kill me.
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
That Stormie's got balls. The proverbial kind. As well as, y'know.
Look, the point is that I agree.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Storm Saxon...

If they had a smiley taking out its teeth while saying "in my day" you could have just used that and saved yourself 150 words or so....

[ November 18, 2003, 12:37 AM: Message edited by: imogen ]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd also like to say that the eight-smiley limit is kind of pointless when there's eight smileyes to every freaking smiley.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, Ophelia, you gotta read the fine print. I don't kill your cats -- I'm no monster. God, however, having already practiced on Egyptian children, is ready and willing to slaughter an innocent, fuzzy animal with each emoticon you create. Expect Jesus to break down your door any time now and Uzi the allergy-creating mother****ers back to the Stone Age. Or whenever it was that cats used primitive tools to create new technology.

I hope you're this much closer to understanding why I'm an agnostic, now...

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
The only smiley I heartily dissaprove of are the devil smileys.

It's too easy to claim Evil. Before, you had to work for the Evil. Celia made the [Smile] smiley into Pure Evil, and that took dedication and work. It was beautiful.

Now, every poster out there thinks they can claim Evil just with a mouse-click. Note to abusers: Wearing clothes with the Porsche logo does NOT make people think you own a Porsche.

[ November 18, 2003, 12:16 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Eddie, you're partially right, but when God kills a kittie, we don't get to choose which kittie gets killed. God chooses which kittie in his own time and for his own reasons, some of which we can't hope to understand.

It's kind of like that spot reduction myth. You can burn calories doing situps and leg lifts all day, but it might not get rid of your love handle. It might get rid of that extra chin roll you've got, though.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
either that, or God is scared of Opheilia's roomates martial prowess too.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
Misspelling Porsche, it turns out, also does not make people think you own a Porsche.
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Performing your interpretive dance named Porsche also does not make people think you own a Porsche.

Added: It was a quote, but sadly from a non-geeky source.

[ November 18, 2003, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

You know how if you delete your own thread-starting post, you delete the whole thread?

How about if, in a similar vein, checking on "Disable Graemlins in this post" in the very first post in a thread disabled them for the entire thread? That way, people who don't like graemlins could at least keep them out of their own threads.

I'm not saying it really could or should be done, but I'm more curious on a theoretical level to know if this would make people happy.

:)

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If it's uncut,
I sort of figured you'd prefer the ones that were cut.

::hides::

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

::scratches head::
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.