FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Eddie to the rescue; or, every time you use the hug emoticon, God kills a kitten. (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Eddie to the rescue; or, every time you use the hug emoticon, God kills a kitten.
Black Mage
Member # 5800

- posted      Profile for Black Mage           Edit/Delete Post 
Excuse me, but I'm organizing this.

Oh, and hi again, Jack. How you been lately?

Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
You guys, freaking take it to AIM.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Methinks Ralphie didn't read the ramen noodle recipe thread...
[Evil]
Jack [Wave]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jack--Hi
Member # 5951

- posted      Profile for Jack--Hi   Email Jack--Hi         Edit/Delete Post 
I never got such a warm welcome on any other forum.
Posts: 1 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wave]
Hi Jack!
[ROFL]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*sings* Oh, Raal-phie!

:taunts:

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

What do you call it when someone makes an ID for a quick laugh?
Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Rivka - I love you. You are my hizzo. You add a tremendous amount to this forum on a variety of topics and are extremely educational and fair-minded to boot. You have an affinity for fluff, but I forgive you that because you add SO MUCH to this forum that your fluff-orientedness is charming rather than obnoxious. Please don't think my comments are in any way directed at you.

However, for the rest of you - you seriously need to stop taking over threads and turning them into almost real-time-like exchanges. There are instant messaging programs for that, and you don't have to hijack someone else's thread.

Oh, I know - you won't be able to continue upping your post count and making landmark threads every two weeks. But, at the same time, you'll stop making people want to hunt you down and kill you.

I think it's a fair trade.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

Someone who has too much time on his hands.
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
Hear hear!! [Smile]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat
Member # 879

- posted      Profile for Pat   Email Pat         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm finding it increasingly difficult to want to associate with a forum that has given itself to hug threads and smilie ejaculations.

Maybe I'll kick my Hatrack habit after all.

Posts: 1800 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Ralphie, I honestly think you are wonderful. Hatrack truly would not be the same without you. And really isn't when you're not around enough. [Frown]

So I'll have to forgive your continued intolerance for "fluff." I live in hope that some day you will understand. (((((Ralphie)))))

*whispers* Come over to the fluffy side! [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
No leaving allowed Pat, sorry. If you want I'll even start a thread on homosexual abortion just to keep this place on its toes. [Wink] [Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

Look, Hatrack's like the Mafia. You don't leave. It doesn't work that way.
Pat
Member # 879

Can I break your kneecaps if the fluff doesn't stop?

To be honest, there just isn't much that calls me to interact with this place anymore. It's probably natural, but i think hatrack is starting to pass me by. I know that sounds extremely codgerish, but there just isn't that call to post anymore. Maybe I'm growing up.

Posts: 1800 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Tell you what Pat, if you ever do stop coming here, do you promise to at least linger on greNME (or sakeriver.com)?

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat
Member # 879

I'm not announcing that I'm leaving or anything. I'm sure I'll always take time to check in every now and then, as long as I have good friends to interact with.

But let's face it: The demographic of Hatrack has shifted dramatically in the past two years from an intellectual community that dabbled in fluff every once in a while to a Fluffy community that dabbles with intellectualism every once in a while.

Ralphie
Member # 1565

quote:
So I'll have to forgive your continued intolerance for "fluff." I live in hope that some day you will understand. (((((Ralphie)))))
You know, Rivka, it's not the fluff. Like I said, when you get all fluffy it doesn't bother me. I've been known to indulge in fluff from time to time.

I think it comes down to this:

In every relationship people have to put in what they take out, or the other party will eventually become resentful that they are being taxed without any compensation. Fluff has it's place on Hatrack, just like serious debate does, and I appreciate them both for what they are.

Then I see what I can only imagine are kids sign on, give NOTHING to the community in the way of debate, unique perspective, intelligent conversation or even comedic value but rather jump from thread to thread, topic to topic, littering the place with banal smilies*, instant message-like "banter" and basic derailment to talk about what maybe all of three people want to talk about. And it usually comes down to NOTHING.

When the fluff is relegated to a few threads, and it's pretty obvious which threads those are, that's fairly benign and pretty much expected. When people feel they need to make nothing but fluff threads, or WORSE, infect non-fluff threads with their tired campaigns of pro-smilie something somethings, then they are taking away without any intention of giving back.

I'm not a curmudgeon. Good gravy, I barely post anything myself that couldn't be catagorized as fluff in the narrowest terms. But my hope is that I don't simply take from the forums, and that I do my part (like you do, and countless others) to add to it and keep the checking account balanced.

I mean, isn't that the whole point of Ralphie Luv™?

(*which are not even fulfilling their intended purpose, which is to assist people in conveying how they feel or what they mean as we are limited in expression, tone and mannerisms on the net.)

[ November 22, 2003, 10:42 PM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

rivka
Member # 4859

Ralphie, I think it comes down to two things.

The first is how we define such things as "giving to the community" and "comedic value." I think you and I may have different perspectives on those.

The second is perhaps frame of reference. You were, I am certain, a lovely, giving teen. You expect others to live up to this model.

I was an obnoxious teen. Plenty of people -- including in fandoms I was a member of back then -- should have squished me like a bug, but tolerated me instead. I figure today's teens (within some limits, and I think we've already established that my idea of those limits is very different than some others') ought not to get squished either. Besides, I kinda think they're cute and entertaining, 'least sometimes. [Dont Know]

Honestly, I find the excess use of smilies SO much less offensive than some of the other nonsense around here. And I simply ignore that.

Nick
Member # 4311

quote:
Honestly, I find the excess use of smilies SO much less offensive than some of the other nonsense around here. And I simply ignore that.
She didn't mean offensive, she meant annoying and infuriating.

There are a lot of things that smilies are less offensive of here at Hatrack. What specifically do you mean?

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

You know, I'm probably not around here enough anymore to voice my complaints.

I'm glad to know that they are giving back to the community from the perspective of others.

I'll let it go now.

Pat
Member # 879

I don't think anyone thinks smilies are offensive, just annoying. To me, they represent nothing more than an excuse not to talk, not to express how you really feel.
rivka
Member # 4859

Ok, allow me to rephrase. There are many things I find more annoying and infuriating than excess smilies.

And if I told you what, I wouldn't be ignoring them, now would I? [Wink]

Seriously, I don't think it would be helpful to complain about them. And in many cases it would also be very hurtful to others.

Anything which bothers me that I consider it useful or necessary to object to, I do.

Pat
Member # 879

**rolleyes**
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But let's face it: The demographic of Hatrack has shifted dramatically in the past two years from an intellectual community that dabbled in fluff every once in a while to a Fluffy community that dabbles with intellectualism every once in a while.
Pat and Toni have it right. I'm very near putting out a petition to OSC and Kristine Card to ask the removal of all but the original emoticons -- the new ones were sweet as a gift, but utterly impractical and fairly dangerous to the health of the forum. Rather like fruitcakes.

If we get rid of the emoticons, we get rid of the fruitcakes that use them. Or at least force them to evolve.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Yeah, rolling eyes at people you disagree with and calling them fruitcakes.

That's the way to go. Absolutely.

[Hail] Pat
[Hail] Lalo

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I try to insert my own style of fluff spiced attempts at intellectualism.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

How, exactly, can we disagree with them? One of the problems people have repeatedly cited throughout this thread is that it's extremely difficult to draw a political position or moral stance from " [The Wave] ."

Or do you think these emoticons aren't being used irresponsibly and for pretty freaking idiotic reasons?

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I think the thread I started rather makes my feelings on the matter clear.

[The Wave]

Lalo
Member # 3772

And I should know which thread you're talking about because there's an emoticon that points the direction, or what?
rivka
Member # 4859

Pretty much. [Big Grin]
Pat
Member # 879

I'm not rolling my eyes because I disagree with you, I'm rolling my eyes for the way you chased Ralphie away. If I have to choose between smilies and Ralphie, I choose Ralphie.

**rollseyes**

Just kidding Ralph.

[ November 22, 2003, 11:55 PM: Message edited by: Pat ]

Lalo
Member # 3772

I really hope you aren't talking about this one. Which one were you referring to?

And, out of interest, what purpose did the Gay Train in that last post serve?

rivka
Member # 4859

I chased away Ralphie? [Frown]

[Cry]

I withdraw all my comments. Forget it. This is why I hate getting involved in non-fluff threads around here.

Ralphie
Member # 1565

You didn't chase me away.

I just realized that the behavior of the people I was referring to did not affect others as it affected me, and so I did not have an arguement.

I find them obnoxious. Other people do not. What more can be said?

Pat
Member # 879

Read your comments, then read hers.

**searches for a chase ralphie away smilie**

Lalo
Member # 3772

Er. What's the reason? And why did you withdraw your comments? All I've asked so far is if you think the emoticon use is abused irresponsibly. Also, which thread you were referring to that clearly espoused your positions.

All I'm looking for is some kind of stance. Are there any real arguments for keeping the emoticons at the expense of Hatrack's intellectual health? Not to mention the loss of Pat and Ralphie and me and several other friends who've mentioned to me just how bored they are as a result of Hatrack's intellectual decline.

If people want pretty smilies and nothing more, I'll be the first to direct them to P-Web. If they want the anti-smiley, they're welcome to Ornery. But what I've always loved about Hatrack is the balance between Funny (from among the many, their queen, Toni) and intellectualism (from among the many, their poisonous fish, Fugu). I hate to see that balance destroyed by idiots who can't express themselves in any better way than obnoxious circular heads. Hatrack deserves better.

[ November 23, 2003, 12:04 AM: Message edited by: Lalo ]

rivka
Member # 4859

I have read mine. Quite carefully, both before and after I posted. I try very hard to do that every time I post -- although I don't always succeed.

I also read Ralphie's very carefully. I always do. Her subtlety and wit make that a necessity. [Smile]

Pat
Member # 879

**agrees with Eddie**

I have been known to utilize the occasional smiley, heck, if the latest mafia game would have been played, I was going to communicate exclusively through smilies. We're not saying eliminate them entirely, I think we are just asking every one to calm down a little with the smiley usage.

[Smile]

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
We're not saying eliminate them entirely, I think we are just asking every one to calm down a little with the smiley usage.

Do you really think that's the message this thread sends? Maybe I'm not the only one who needs to reread parts of this thread.
Lalo
Member # 3772

So... Do Eddie's questions not deserve responses?

Heh. The act of answering that question might be a paradox.

Nick
Member # 4311

No. But isn't that a response? [Confused] [Smile]
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
This is more my kind of smiley.

code:
                          oooo$$$$$$$$$$$$oooo
oo$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$o
oo$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$o o$ $$ o$
o $ oo o$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$o $$ $$ $$o$
oo $ $ "$ o$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$o $$$o$$o$
"$$$$$$o$ o$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$o $$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ """$$$
"$$$""""$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ "$$$
$$$ o$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ "$$$o
o$$" $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$o
$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$" "$$$$$$ooooo$$$$o
o$$$oooo$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ o$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$"$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$""""""""
"""" $$$$ "$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$" o$$$
"$$$o """$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$"$$" $$$
$$$o "$$""$$$$$$"""" o$$$
$$$$o o$$$"
"$$$$o o$$$$$$o"$$$$o o$$$$
"$$$$$oo ""$$$$o$$$$$o o$$$$""
""$$$$$oooo "$$$o$$$$$$$$$"""
""$$$$$$$oo $$$$$$$$$$
""""$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$"
"$$$""""

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Bastard! I tried to post some ascii art on this thread and it wouldn't take. [Mad]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
<hint> [code ] [/code ]
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Fie on you, PC. I know not of this [code] of which you speak. [Mad] (And it cost me my burnination points for Fla, although I did get me Christy back.) Teach me this [code], or I will attempt to ineptly burninate the silly state where you live, too. With smilies. And I will siphon the gas from your tank.

quote:
... smilie ejaculations ...
Good grief, Pat, just because Papa Moose is busy with the new baby and all, doesn't mean you can practice all your private perversions all over the board. Do I have to say it for him? Do I? Do I?

Glad this isn't a thread about onanism.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
And oh, I'm all about the Ralphie-luvin. [Wink]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
You know it's getting bad when I'm getting sick of all the fluff.

Leonide and I were just saying the other day how we only opened about 1 in every 8 threads. Too many people start threads to pick up AIM conversations where they left off. It's one thing for us to have some inside jokes that pop up in the middles of threads (sorry, Kayla)--it's only natural as we get to know each other better--but to have an entire thread devoted to an inside joke you share with two other people from AOL is just annoying.

I like the original smilies. They convey emotions. I can't see why anyone would ever need to do The Wave or get up and dance during a post.

And though it's a great ego boost, we really don't need the "point and laugh", "slap the ground like an ape as a form of showing satisfaction", or "my head fell off" smilies.

We already had an embarassed smilie. We already had a sticking-out-your-tongue smilie. We already had a scared smilie.

The waving, shrugging, hat-tipping, and flipping off smilies are pointless. "Hi.", "I don't know.", "You're welcome.", and "Go suck an egg." are phrases, not emotions.

The devils are watered-down evil. Besides, the devil doesn't smile. The closest he comes is maybe an evil grin.

The kissing, crying, and hugging smilies are just as annoying as real life PDA.

If you speak no evil, hear no evil, and see no evil, please do us the favor of not typing it.

The sleeping smilie is lame. If we start needing a smilie to show every reason we're not posting, this forum's going to get pretty dirty.

The wall-bashing smilie is useful. A shame it's overused (and normally not in the proper instances). The muttering smilie seems to be the only other good thing that came out of the new batch, but I'd be glad to give it up if it meant the others went away, too.

So I plead to all the newbies...please let the fluff become funny again!

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Let me just reiterate: smilies are annoying, except the core smilies that are merely graphical versions of their original ASCII counterparts. And AIM is the mind-killer; Hatrack Chat is just it's red-headed stepchild.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.