FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Guess the Author Game II -- Round One (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Guess the Author Game II -- Round One
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
No. Something I wrote would probably sound like this:

quote:

She waited at the stone altar, old beyond reckoning yet still a perfect child in seeming -- but for the deep, oceanic sadness of her eyes. She waited, the pale moon behind her throwing a fair silhouette against the great ironwood doors, as a light wind whistled through the open window and into the ancient church. It built; candles guttered, leapt, and died, and yellowed leaves of paper spun rustling across the stones.

The Dead Knight was come for her, and she waited.

[ November 18, 2003, 02:18 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I have another guess, without critique (I'm lousy at critique for fiction though I'm pretty good at technical writing) but with rationale (I'm good at rationale). Maethoriell fits the young female profile and hasn't been guessed yet.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

- posted      Profile for Julie   Email Julie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure whether the author is male or female. On this piece I think it could go either way. When I read color-glass window I assumed that the author couldn't remember the word stained-glass and that was somehow a stand-in until they could remember. I think the author is young, mainly because it seems as though he/she hasn't had much time to polish his/her writing skills. I'm going to randomly guess jeniwren.
Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

No.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
There's a sort of innocence to this passage. The phrase "perfect child" bugs me, although it could be the excellent depending on what sort of character the author is trying to convey. My issue is that it makes the child seem to be a passive character, almost like a doll in a dollhouse scene. It's certainly not the way the child would describe herself, if she is supposed to be the point of view character, which is what it sounds like in the latter half of the passage.

It sounds a bit like a parent who might be thinking of their daughter. I think this is what reminded me of Pooka's thread the other day, so I guess Pooka.

(Then again, though, this one is tricky. It seems like the sort of passage someone might contrive to fool us.)

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

No.
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Regardless of the age, I think that it was dashed off quickly. It has the seeds of something greater, methinks. (By the way, I really enjoyed your "heavy edit" of the piece, Tom....)

Brinestone? I don't think I've had the pleasure of reading Brinestone's posts since I arrived here. So, what the heck I'll guess Brinestone.

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
FWIW, I agree with Jon Boy on the tense thing -- I like it. It makes the Dead Night's appearance seem more of an inevitable condition and less of an action -- a traveling across a space.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

No.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. Something [Dont Know] about Tom's posts makes me think this might be Christy.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

No.
Julie
Member # 5580

I think the whole perfect child and old beyond reckoning thing makes her seem timeless, like a fairy queen or sorcoress (why can't I spell today?). I liked the last sentence, and I think it fits well with the spooky, fantasy, ancient feel of the piece. As a completely random guess, I'll say beatnix19.
Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Based on eslaine's comments and his reaction to Tom's edit, I'm guessing eslaine.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pericles
Member # 5943

- posted      Profile for Pericles           Edit/Delete Post 
Did you write it...? You refer to this quote as something you would write...
Posts: 52 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
If it is Christy, I can tell you already that I'm going to catch it when I get home. [Smile]

[ November 18, 2003, 03:12 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
I still think somewhat young, someone who likes animé or comic books. I'm undecided on gender, but assuming this girl is the central character, someone who would use a female central character. I was thiking of guessing beatnix, but I had the impression from beatnix's other posts that the spelling and such isn't always as . . . er, standard as it is here. (I apologize if my impression is mistaken.)

So now I'm trying to think of people who have at least this much polish, and who have shown a penchant for the dark.

Hmm . . .

Morbo?

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

1) Is Eslaine on the list?

and

B) Who is Pericles guessing?

and

iii) Tom . . . huh?

[Confused]

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

eslaine, one of the great agonies of my life is the realization that I'm a much better editor than I am a writer. I lack sufficient imagination -- which would come as a surprise to my elementary school teachers, but probably no one else. *laugh*
advice for robots
Member # 2544

By guessing, eslaine put himself on the list. Isn't that how the rules work?

Having said that, I imagine he's not the author. If he'd submitted something, he would have been on the list.

I didn't check the list.

[Frown]

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

*groan*

You found two people in one round that should be on the list but aren't. And they're both early in the alphabet, which messes up my columns.

And everybody's guesses are wrong.

Megachirops
Member # 4325

Great . . . if I knew who Pericles was guessing, I could cross that person off of my list!

[Grumble]

rivka
Member # 4859

Ic,

1) Nope, but so what?

B) [Confused] Tom?

iii) I think he might have been responding to my guess. [Dont Know]

I still think the author is most likely female. And I could see dkw deliberately starting off the second round with the author who finished off the last round. Just to throw us off.

Is it celia?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pericles
Member # 5943

TomDavidson
Posts: 52 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Boy, need an outline, Tom?

This piece has the feel I've been in the mood for recently. Odd. I thought that I'd left the fantasy genre behind years ago....

What--I'm supposed to be on the list!?

In that case, I'll guess eslaine. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

As an aside commentary... although Tom's edit sounded more literary and professional, I actually prefered the original. The reason is that the edited version made me think about the writing/description itself more, and distracted me from the image the scene was making. It's sort of the same problem I had with parts of LotR.
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pericles
Member # 5943

I know what you mean
advice for robots
Member # 2544

eslaine: I have it on good authority that you didn't write this one.
dkw
Member # 3264

Noes
Julie
Member # 5580

Does anybody just happen to have a list of who's already been guessed?
Tresopax
Member # 1063

Hmmm... this is tough. At this point whoever it has probably posted to try and throw us off.

How about Jaiden? Has she been guessed?

saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
rivka's got an almost up-to-date list on page 1.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

[No No]

Oh, no no no, we're not allowed to do that. [Big Grin]

Look on the first page of this thread, third post. Rivka's keeping a running list.

Julie
Member # 5580

I'm thinking the author is a youngish female, so... littlemissattitude?
rivka
Member # 4859

I still think female. Teshi?
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
First off, I like the imagery, very dark fantasy true, but that's not a bad thing.

I agree with what people were saying about the flickering being blown, maybe the flame is blowing or the light is flickering...

quote:
great ironwood doors
Iron or Wood? This seems like a contradiction.

"For instance, instead of merely being open, they could be propped open with a stick. They're just as open as before, but now they are open in a specifically low-tech way." - Megachirops

Either that or they could be broken... in a really old church the glass could be shattered by time and weather and that would maybe add to the sense of darkness, to have broken windown that is.

Sorry, that probably isn't very readable, I'm not feeling very comprehensible today. My guess Jaiden just 'cuz [Razz]

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

No to everyone.
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
weight in them that was enormous like the sea
This similie bugs me because the sea is enormous, but doesn't really carry much wieght. It's not, to put it scientifically, very massive. It seems like the point of the similie changed as the sentance progressed: From the weight, to enormous, to something enormous, but not necessarily heavy.

quote:
slivery silhouette.
Silvery, or I get a really cool image of slithery silhouettes.

quote:
The Dead Knight was come for her, and she waited.
The use of was here is "historical writing" (somebody had a name for it, but I don't) but although "the Dead Knight was come for her" works, the "and she waited" confuses tenses. I can't think of a tense that would work. It might be better to put: "She waited. The Dead Knight was come for her."

Nice description!

Random Guess...Rivka

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Something about the wording of the passage just doesn't sit well on this reader's ear. It has the stroke and swish of fantasy, but it's just a bit overwrought. It needs a bit of editing and trimming down.

I really don't have an idea, so I will guess Twinky .

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Hmm, running low on likely females. So I need to guess an UNlikely female, or . . . ?

Pat?

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Dragon, ironwood is a type of very hard wood.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scythrop
Member # 5731

- posted      Profile for Scythrop   Email Scythrop         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Um. . .Scythrop? How 'young' do you think I am? I mean, compared to such mummies as Bob_Scopatz, or Claudia Therese I AM young. . . but I'll be 29 on Thursday. I'm no spring chicken.

Sorry Scott - It was a pretty much random guess and looking for a male was about my only criterion; I'm still a newbie and am working out ages of different people as I go.

That said, you're still younger than me...

And as it's not you then...how about Filleted??

BTW: Happy Birthday for tomorrow.

Posts: 466 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

It sounds to me like the author is someone who hasn't written much, but has read a lot, likely a lot of fantasy. He is probably young and a little unsure of his writing style. I say he, but I'm not really sure of the author's sex; I could easily see a young author of either sex writing this.

It seems like there's a good story in there. There's a lot of backstory begging to come out. If my guess is correct and this is a new writer, a little practice is all that's required to become a more comfortable author, and then there should be no impediment to a great story. The ideas are obviously already there.

My guess: Julie.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

No to everyone.
saxon75
Member # 4589

Hmmm...

Gottmorder. Same reasons.

rivka
Member # 4859

Same reasoning as before. Shlomo?
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess Tresopax. Just because.
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

I guess Amka because she hasn't been guessed yet.
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Jon [Smile] Makes more sense now.

What about Flyby?

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

No to all.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.