FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Guess the Author Game II -- Round One (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Guess the Author Game II -- Round One
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, maybe it IS a female author. [Dont Know]

Jenny Gardener?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm not much of a critiquer, but I will say that "blowing the flickering of candles to and fro." confused me a bit.

Going with the young and female bit, I'll guess Annie.

Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok... I guess Noemen because
  • No-one's picked him yet
and
  • I think maybe we're all wrong on the female author tack

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
nonono
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

In that case, my next guess is :Locke. Quite frankly, because he said he turned something in. Does that count for a reason or do I get negative ten?
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
You get positive five. [Smile]
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

Yay!
rivka
Member # 4859

[Grumble]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Just stop it rivka! [No No]
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I thought of :Locke, but I rejected it because this wasn't absurdist enough.

*shrug*

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm throwing out a second guess - Advice for Robots - because of the comment made on page 2. Just seems kind of suspicious.

Unless :Locke was a correct guess. Wasn't sure if that was the meaning behind the points discussion.

[ November 19, 2003, 09:49 AM: Message edited by: beatnix19 ]

Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

[Razz] to elaine. If I want to mutter bitterly, I will -- so there!
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Ding, Ding?

I guess it was Locke:

<laughs> I can't believe nobody guessed Locke: earlier (Iwouldn't have), after the comments on the previous thread.
Wait, did you delete all that stuff or am I going mad? Or both?

Way to play us, dkw. [Big Grin]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay...I missed my chance to guess, I guess, but here's a critique for what it's worth:

"There she stood" is too weak a beginning. "She stood" would be better, I think.

Is the stone altar old beyond reckoning, or the woman/girl? A quibble. Sorry.

"the flickering of candles" bothered me. I guess I would've phrased it differently.

The mood is dark & foreboding. I could maybe wish for some different choices of adjectives. Like, instead of "a light wind" (which uses the word light in an otherwise "dark" passage) you might use something like "a faltering wind" OH I DON'T KNOW. Maybe play with it a bit and see if you can't find some other adjectives that line up better with the moood of the piece??

Bob

I guess whoever it was that wrote it.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
:Locke
Member # 2255

- posted      Profile for :Locke   Email :Locke         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow.

I feel like I should say that it was just about this time in November when I began to stop even lurking, and was fully detatched from Hatrack. I had no idea that this thread existed. I was even more suprised to find that one of my pieces was up here, and even more surprised after that to find that people though I was a woman-- not that I'm offended, or anything. I'm sorry I didn't answer to this thread to confirm, but, like I said, I wasn't even aware that it was here.

Posts: 1744 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.