FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » TV Shows that should just GO AWAY

Author Topic: TV Shows that should just GO AWAY
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
What are some shows you wish they'd take off the air?
I hate Dharma and Greg. I have no idea why it is that when I'm at home they have to have such stupid things on TV instead of useful things. Why, they'd be able to hypnotize me into buying all sorts of silly stuff if they had good non-dubbed anime or something like that, but instead they got to have this wretched show.
It's so annoying, every single character. And WHY do rich people on most shows talk with British accents?!

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
brain damage
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Xena...oh wait, that did go away. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa, that's interesting. i had no idea that was possible.
I liked Xena. But I despise Everybody Loves Raymond. I've just seen the reruns of that and it annoys me. And also Will and Grace.
Dang, that show gets on my last damn NERVES.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
How can you hate Everybody Loves Raymond?
They are so typical italian, it's hilarious!

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate Everybody Loves Raymond, but Dharma and Greg is one of the very few shows I can stand to watch. Go figure. [Dont Know]
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Why do you like those shows? >.<
Then I can counter with why I hate them. *loves complaining about things I hate*

Maethoriell
Member # 3805

- posted      Profile for Maethoriell   Email Maethoriell         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually liked Dharma and Greg. What I can't stand are all of these reality tv shows liek Joe Millionaire and Fear Factor. Somehow they sell.
Posts: 4628 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

And Friend's. I so dislike it. Ross is such a whiny wanker!
And Reality TV is annoying and stupid too. But sitcoms... -_-

Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Please please please get rid of reality TV. All of it, with one single exception: The Joe Schmo Show. Except that wasn't technically real...

I could also do without all of these "Exclusive" interviews. We hates them, Precious.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
We hates reality TV shows, but we like Dharma and Greg. Reality TV must die.
Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Dharma and Greg. Mildly dislike anime.

Really, really, REALLY hate "reality" shows.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
The news.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
All current sit-coms.

All the "judge" shows (Judge Judy, etc.).

All pseudonews shows (especially those that center on the entertainment industry).

Fox news channel (especially Bill O'Reilly).

Regis and whatever-her-name-is.

All the late-night talks shows (except maybe Conan O'Brien and Charlie Rose).

All those "self-help" things (Suze Orman, that Dyer guy, and the like) on PBS - why do they show those during pledge season; they make me NOT want to give money to PBS.

All, and I mean ALL infomercials.

All televangelists (do you realize that somebody actually let Jimmy Swaggart back on tv?).

Jerry Springer.

Maury Povich.

Oprah Winfrey.

Larry King.

Survivor.

All the dating/marriage shows.

All soap operas.

All of the "newsmagazine" shows (except maybe "60 minutes").

Wheel of Fortune.

Believe it or not, that leaves a lot that is worth watching, at least some of the time.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

We agrees with precious. DIE REALITY TV!!! GRRRR!!!
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

Has anyone ever seen the Red Green show? [ROFL] I love it! It's one of the few good shows PBS plays.
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
My Dad really likes the Red Green Show. Therefore I have seen it. Twice. And never again. I can sing the merits of duct tape on my own, thanks, no accordion needed.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cor
Member # 4295

- posted      Profile for Cor   Email Cor         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Eruve, some of us really loved Xena. In fact,the only thing I didn't love about the show was the way they ended it. It provided a strong female role model for girls (insinuated bisexuality irrelevant)rather than the typical scream, run, fall down, need-to-be-rescued type we see far too often on action-adventure shows.

Sorry to get off topic, but those of you who know me know that a Xena slam cannot go unchallenged. [Smile]

Posts: 676 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sugar+Spice
Member # 5874

- posted      Profile for Sugar+Spice   Email Sugar+Spice         Edit/Delete Post 
Makeover shows. Trading Spaces. My idea of hell is being forced to watch garden makeover TV. I start to hope that my intestine will throttle my brain and put me out of my misery. [Wall Bash]
Posts: 119 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, you know.... you could just... oh, you know... stop watching TV? It doesn't sound like there's anything on that you guys actually do like, so what's the point?

I watch Survivor religiously every week. It's also the only, repeat only, thing I watch on TV. We decided to cut the cable last month because we never watched anything. Life's too short.

But man, gimme my Survivor! [Smile]

Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

Heehee...we have cable. We're not supposed to be getting it. The guy said he'd come back and fix it, but he never did. [Big Grin]
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Dammit, Will and Grace is piss your pants funny.

[Mad]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
Everything on the major networks that isn't either animated, news, or Seinfeld.
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Forgot to mention Seinfeld
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm there with Ayelar, I don't like some shows, but that generally means I just don't watch them, os they don't annoy me too much. I'm beginning to think I'm the only one who does this, I haven't even seen the majority of the shows you guys are complaining about.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

- posted      Profile for Black Mage           Edit/Delete Post 
I like Friends and Trading Spaces. . .

I used to watch Xena in first and second grade. I think. Dunno why. . .

Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Not watching them if you don't like them is a good idea. I've only seen a bunch of shows because my Mom watches a lot of tv - she is retired, is at the age and has had some problems so that she doesn't get around much, so it's how she entertains herself. I've also seem some of the daytime stuff when I've been too sick to do anything but lay and watch TV. Believe me, I don't make a steady diet of it.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Back in college I started not watching TV at all except for X Files with friends.
I didn't really miss it. Only recently did I start watching it again, only to punish myself for NOT HAVING A JOB which was why I got stuck watching that wretched Dharma and Greg.
Why do people like it? I really want to know..

Jestak
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for Jestak   Email Jestak         Edit/Delete Post 
There is nothing worth watching on TV anymore. Discovery channel use to be worth watching because of the actual documentaries about animal and human behavior they use to air. Now it, TLC, History Channel, and other former "informational" channels have turned into reality TV channels showing primarily crap, with the occasional decent show. It's not worth reading the program listing to find the good shows, they are few and far in between.
Posts: 36 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
OMG, Survivor was AMAZING last night! I actually cried!! And I was yelling at the TV and cheering and sitting on the edge of my seat in shocked amazement.... you guys don't know what you're missing. [Big Grin]
Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so I liked Xena, but only until they got EXTREMELY, totally cheesy with non-followable story lines.

I would never have watched Dharma and Greg, except that my Dad and his girlfriend insisted that Dharma was a cookie cut-out of me. I watched the show, and came to the conclusion that they are mildly right.

Two exceptions, however: I am not nearly as air-headed, and not married to a lawyer with multi-millionare parents.

Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, TV isn't all bad. There's nothing wrong with levity. Some people act as if everything in life is supposed to be a deadly serious learning experience.

How boring.

I enjoy a good belly laugh. If you want to get technical, studies have found that laughing produces chemicals that help lift depression.

I like to relax sometimes and be mindless. The idiot box does that. Movies, too.

I just don't understand why everything HAS to be intellectual.

I use my brain all day (I know, shock). I like to give it a break.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
friends, sapranos, seinfield(oh wait that last one did go out), and any of the millions of shows with crappy acting that my younger sister watches.

i'm not saying friends sapranos or seinfield have bad acting, I just don't like them because almost everyone loves them and when you get one person talking about them everyone nearby starts talking about them and everyone acts mortally shocked when I saw I don't like the shows. Same thing goes for basketball.

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Aah...so you don't like them because they're good.

Makes perfect sense. [Smile]

Seinfeld is the only non-animated sitcom I've enjoyed consistently in the last 15 years. I've laughed at episodes of some other stuff, but nothing had me caring about watching the next week. Except maybe the short-lived Two Guys, a Girl, and a Pizza Place.

But for some reason, I can't miss an episode of The Simpsons, The Family Guy(before it left us), Futurama(gone, too), or Home Movies.

Luckily, these are all shows I can download from IMesh, as I don't have TV anymore.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
no, i don't like them because I find them unentertaining. The fact that everyone assumes that everone else must like those shows make me like the shows even less.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zip
Member # 4710

- posted      Profile for zip   Email zip         Edit/Delete Post 
glad to see i am not the only xena fan still out there. Haven't seen the show in years (no cable or i would never get anything done) but at the height of the show i tought myself java and genetic programming so i would write this
Posts: 24 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I love to laugh too but I seem to hate stupid humour.
Which is ridiculous because I have been knowned to laugh over lipstick and the word panty hose.
I just don't like the toilet humor from shows like SNL. And how many fart jokes can I possibly stand? Uuuugh.
I like shows like Wanda that crack me up completely because her sense of humour is kin dof like mine.
Dhrama could be sort of like a friend of mine but she's a complete ditzy flake and Greg is a stick in the mud who always says, "Dharma, you can't do that." Which makes me want to bite him and Dharma's parents are really stupid and obnoxious and so are Gregs. Why do all rich people have to be stiff? I really hate the use of stereotypes in shows.
Maybe it's a silly thing to be annoyed about. But I keep seeing shows as a reflection of culture.

Icarus
Member # 3162

I don't feel like everything has to be intellectual, but I think there are different types of co,edy, and I'm just out of sync with what is popular these days. Nothing in Seinfeld, Dharma and Greg, Frasier, etc. ever made me laugh. I find That Seventies Show mildly amusing but saccharine and not worth the time I give up to watch it. I find Malcolm in the Middle somewhat funny but they go for the cheap laughs too often; to me that show exemplifies squandered potential. I have always loved the Simpsons, but I'm starting to feel like they've jumped the shark. I really liked King of the Hill at first, because it was so different and un-PC, but their story lines have become redundant and obnoxious. I do find Friends consistently funny, but I als ofind the characters thoroughly dislikeable, so I can only stomach it rarely. I used to love Mad About You and Drew Carrey, until both shows jumped the shark so obnoxiously. But I guess that happens to old shows, so I should just be thankful for the seasons they gave to me. I used to like Roseanne, but that stayed on for a very long time, and eventually it lost its charm. I used to like Grace Under Fire, but that lost its charm before too long as well. I hate all black exploitation comedies. Sorry, just not my thing; not funny at all to me.

What I like are likeable characters, at least a main character who is believable, funny situations, but no over the top hysterics.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the Family Guy parody of Dharma and Greg most aptly illustrates my feelings about the show:

(Dharma is standing on a couch)

Greg: Oh, Dharma! Get down off that couch! Look at you, you silly thing! Get off that couch!

(Dharma does not get off couch)

Greg: Oh, Dharma! You're such a free spirit!

[/end scene]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

[Big Grin]
hasdy
Member # 5905

- posted      Profile for hasdy   Email hasdy         Edit/Delete Post 
haha... i remember that family guy episode... love that show.

I really despise nascar and f1 racing. who cares about cars that go in circles.
I also agree, trading spaces and their million different versions.
Curling... ugh... curling. (i live in canada.... so it's always on).
Horseracing..... again.... why?!?!
I'm sure there's more...... just can't think of them right now. It must be my subconsiousness (sp) blocking them out of memory!

hasdy!

Posts: 30 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I love that parady! Then Brian says, "What a pair, a free spirit and a puppet."

[ November 27, 2003, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: Synesthesia ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.