FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Who else doesn't like regular soda? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Who else doesn't like regular soda?
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Today a restaurant gave me regular instead of diet and...

I hated it.

Gross. Ew.

o_O

Has this happened to anyone else?

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pepek
Member # 3773

- posted      Profile for Pepek   Email Pepek         Edit/Delete Post 
MMmm..

I like pepsi..

Diet stuff can die..

~Sir Montague

Posts: 690 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
*delurks*

Yes! My hubby won't drink diet, and I won't drink regular. We routinely get switched up at restaurants, at which time we both make lemon faces and trade sodas.

Regular soda is just too syrupy for me. ick.

*relurks*

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a big fan of water, myself. If the dish calls for it, I'll occasionally drink milk. Otherwise, even if I order a meal that comes with a free drink, I always request water. Aaah, clear and refreshing.

I used to be absolutely addicted to ginger ale and Squirt, but once you get used to the taste of water, you'd be surprised how little you miss the sugary stuff. Now I just have to lose my taste for chocolate and Chinese food. Oh, to be healthy....

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

- posted      Profile for Black Mage           Edit/Delete Post 
Diet's better. There is way too much sugar in regular.
Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raphael
Member # 5870

- posted      Profile for raphael   Email raphael         Edit/Delete Post 
i love water too.i think it because when i grew up i wasn't allowed to have any form of sugar untill age 12. it stuck with me till now.
Posts: 109 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pepek
Member # 3773

Go Pepsi!!!!

Yah baby!!!

Posts: 690 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Mostly I like juice but Diet soda sucks. It's too... sweet.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
In general, diet soda is pretty nasty... by "regular" soda I thought you were talking about big name sodas like Pepsi and Coke. I was all hopeful because I could finally find some fellow Orangina drinkers... it's the best soda ever, and nobody drinks it [Frown] . Those Nantucket Nectar sodas are pretty good, too.
Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
I drink the best pop out there, 7-UP. I found out the other night that that is OSC's favorite as well.

Soda is that stuff in the spray bottle that clowns spray at each other.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't drink fizzy sugary drinks as a rule but when I do I always drink "regular", because the diet stuff tastes of aspartame... (which isn't that good for you... or so I've heard)

[Dont Know]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Quirky Turkey and Gravy Soda Selling Well
Those Who've Tried It Say 'Sip, Don't Chug'
By REBECCA COOK, AP

SEATTLE (Nov. 25) - A new Turkey and Gravy Soda tastes, well, pretty much like you would imagine. But that's not stopping people from buying it.

AP
Jones Soda Co. founder and CEO Peter van Stolk shows off bottles of Turkey and Gravy Soda.

Even the producers of the Thanksgiving-themed beverage at Jones Soda Co. were surprised by the demand. They sold out all 6,000 bottles online within about two hours last week.

''To be honest, we really didn't think so many people would want it,'' said a Michelle Whitehead, marketing assistant at the Seattle-based premium soda company that has a reputation for quirky flavors.

Founder and CEO Peter van Stolk dreamed up the seasonal flavor on a lark, but admits he can't stomach an entire bottle.

The liquid's ominous, murky brown color accurately warns consumers about the taste. The first sips bring a mix of sweet caramel and savory lard - and it's downhill from there.

A limited number of Turkey & Gravy Sodas will be available in stores around Seattle and Olympia for the suggested retail price of 99 cents. A few entrepreneurs are selling theirs on eBay.com; by Tuesday, the bidding was up to $63 for a two-bottle set.

Mary Turner, a radio DJ in Lansing, Mich., who is auctioning off a bottle for charity, has sampled the drink and warns that it's not for the faint of stomach: ''If you roasted a turkey and mashed potatoes, put it in a blender, left it out for three days and then poured it into a Jones bottle, you'd know exactly what this drink tastes like!''

The company, founded in 1996, plans to donate proceeds from sales of Turkey & Gravy Soda to the Toys for Tots charity, and van Stolk said he will personally match the donation.

AOL link.

Turkey and Gravey flavored soda...

You said you didn't like regular soda. Well, this is far from regular.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Diet Coke. I hate the regular stuff. (Though my favourite is post mix Diet Coke with lots of ice... yup, I like the weak stuff they give you at the movies.)
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like regular soda. Then again, diet soda is even worse.

High fructose corn syrup and aspartame are both acquired tastes I don't plan to acquire.

Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Depends, are there free refills?

"The food here is terrible"
"Yes, and such small portions"

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Soda is that stuff in the spray bottle that clowns spray at each other.

I agree. I always feel weird saying "soda" but I am the only person I know in theis state who says "pop."

Anyway, I prefer regular if I have to drink pop. I don't know if it's the childhood trauma of my mother only drinking Diet Coke, or something else I've tried to block out. However, more often than not, I order root beer.

For anyone who is not keen on carbonated beverages, but like myself, is not a fan of water, there is a readily available, sugar free, not-too-bad-tasting alternative. It's called Raspberry Ice. It's a generic Crystal Light-looking canister (green) found at Wal-Mart. I'm pretty sure it's the store brand, so I can't imagine that it's not in every store. It's cheap and it's good. Most of my friends are in the prime of their pop-drinking lives, but every house has a full pitcher of Raspberry Ice.

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Mineral water with lemon and nutra sweet is really good. When I was in Germany, you could buy these garganto bottles of mineral water for next to nothing, but here in the states for some wierd reason, the stuff costs more than regular soda so I rarely drink it.

[ November 30, 2003, 08:24 PM: Message edited by: Storm Saxon ]

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I thought I was the only one.

I had to drink diet for eleven years because of a sugar-restrictive (is that even a word?) diet, and now I'm on the pump I'm so used to it that regular soda just tastes bad.

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a big fan of soda in general, but I hate diet soda. It tastes like aspartame. Yecch.

~Jane~

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm very much anti-diet soda's, however, its the only thing at my friends house, so I drink what I can.

Diet Pepsi Vanilla is actually decent enough to stand.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

- posted      Profile for Julie   Email Julie         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't drink too much soda because it makes me feel like I have holes in my teeth and they're about to fall apart. But if I'm gonna drink it it's gotta be regualar. Diet tastes gross.
Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pepek
Member # 3773

WOoooo HoooooO!

GO Pepsi!

PEPSI! PEPSI! PEPSI! PEPSI!

YAHhhhAHHHhhHAHhhhh

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooo

~Sir Montague

sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
I have that problem. Regular pop (yes I do say pop even though I live in New England) just makes my teeth hurt with all that sugar.
Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Steve says that the "Turkey and Gravy Soda" reminds him of Bernie Botts Every Flavor Beans.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
butterfly
Member # 5898

- posted      Profile for butterfly   Email butterfly         Edit/Delete Post 
Diet Coke is better than regular Coke; it's less sweet and I think it makes you less fat than drinking regular Coke, though some people don't think so. [Razz]

I'd rather have regular Pepsi than Diet Pepsi, but I'm not really sure why. [Confused]

Posts: 91 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't really drink pop all that much lately, but I like diet better than regular most times. So... much... sugar... (twitches)
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pepek
Member # 3773

YAY! You tell em' Butterplum!! Go Pepsi!!!! Woooo HooooOO!OOOO!OOO!O!O!O

~Sir Montague

Maethoriell
Member # 3805

- posted      Profile for Maethoriell   Email Maethoriell         Edit/Delete Post 
butterplum?

Diet Barq's.....nastiest thing ever made.

Posts: 4628 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graywolfe
Member # 3852

- posted      Profile for graywolfe   Email graywolfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Never understood the point of diet soda, but if some people like it, so be it. Still, to me, it's like decaffeinated Coffee, what's the point. If your going to go to the trouble of drinking carbonated beverages (which I rarely enjoy except in the case of beer and a few rare soda's)why on earth would you want to take the flavor out? Diet soda to me is one step away from rice cakes, and that's one step closer to a hell that I never want to be acquainted with.
Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, aspertame is (somehow) proven to be sweeter than sugar [Smile]

Though decaf coffee does make me sad.

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, who says carbonated drinks have to be sodas? I like flavored and unflavored mineral water. I also enjoy club soda. You can't get more basic than that. [Smile]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BobbyK
Member # 5970

- posted      Profile for BobbyK   Email BobbyK         Edit/Delete Post 
Diet all the way. Been drinking it since i was a wee one. Regular is so thick and syruppy(I just made up a word). Diet Coke or Pepsi?

Diet Coke!!

Posts: 213 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Diet Coke only. Diet Pepsi tastes awful, although Pepsi One isn't quite as bad.

I grew up a couple of hours outside of Atlanta, so all soda is Coke to me.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, I like rice cakes.

I hate the aftertaste of most artificial sweeteners. Splenda's not too bad; and the combination used in Pepsi One is better than most.

[ December 01, 2003, 02:14 AM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
I just discovered this weekend that, while Diet Dr. Pepper is pretty gross and takes a lot of getting used to, Caffeine Free Diet Dr. Pepper is great. It's not quite as sweet as regular Dr. P, but it's not bitter, either. I've had the same experience with CF Diet Coke vs. Diet Coke. Go figure!
Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladyday
Member # 1069

- posted      Profile for ladyday   Email ladyday         Edit/Delete Post 
WheatPuppet, I haven't had Orangina in ages, since I lived in Italy I think. Where does one get their grimy little hands on those unusually shaped bottles these days? Orangina is indeed the best soft drink ever created *nods firmly*

That said, I normally drink diet pepsi, though I will drink regular pepsi on occasion. I tend to skip the coffee and go straight to soda drinking from about 9 am to 10 pm, and I just don't like a lot of sugar in the morning.

Posts: 1676 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmmm...soda...
I just had soda yesterday for the first time in over four months. I had forgotten how good it was! [Big Grin]
Mmmmm...Root Beer...

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, for those of us in the west "regular soda" would most likely be "Arm and Hammer". Eaten alone, its horrible but when combined in the proper propotions in cookies or muffins it can be quite good.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Head Ditch Digger
Member # 5085

- posted      Profile for Head Ditch Digger   Email Head Ditch Digger         Edit/Delete Post 
Dr. Pepper with all the sugar and caffiene god intended.
Posts: 1244 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Audeo
Member # 5130

- posted      Profile for Audeo   Email Audeo         Edit/Delete Post 
Hear! Hear! HDD. Dr. Pepper is the best pop out there. As far as diet goes the only diet pop I've tasted that was better than the regular is/was the pepsi twist. It's really good as a diet soda, but for some reason it's terrible with corn syrup instead of the aspartame. I think the lemon flavor covers up the nasty aspartame taste.
Posts: 349 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

Yes, Dr. Pepper is the only soda I usually like. [Smile]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BobbyK
Member # 5970

- posted      Profile for BobbyK   Email BobbyK         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to like Dr P, until I went to the movies one sunny day as a youngster... Dr P and Junior Mints, BAAAAD Combo. Never been the same since then.
Posts: 213 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graywolfe
Member # 3852

- posted      Profile for graywolfe   Email graywolfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Kind of reminds me of my "Pringles" O.D. from '87, I haven't had a Pringle since.

Amazed at how many Dr. Pepper fans there are, I can't stand it, I'm more of a coke/pepsi/root beer guy, but in truth, i prefer to skip soda all together and have fruit juice instead any time I'm thirsty.

Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

*tauntingly sings*

Dr Pepper is better than cola!

[Big Grin] [Taunt]

[ December 01, 2003, 10:59 PM: Message edited by: Nick ]

Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of food/drink ODing...I used to like icing until I had a snowman cupcake. Ummm, that's pretty self explainitory. [Wink] I ate the head, and haven't been able to eat much icing since.
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
I like rice cakes, too. *high fives rivka* [Smile]

~Jane~

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pepek
Member # 3773

P
Pepek
Member # 3773

E
Pepek
Member # 3773

P
Pepek
Member # 3773

S
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.