FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Petals Around The Rose (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Petals Around The Rose
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Has this been discussed before?

Petals Around The Rose

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Not to my knowledge, but I'm not much into dice games. Except M&Ms risk.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

- posted      Profile for Julie   Email Julie         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I got it. Seemed to work for me any way.
Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the name of the game is Mr. Obvious. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

I didn't have it before. I do now. The name of the game does matter!
Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I just now got it -- and only after I finally read the part of the page where it said that name of the game was significant. Then it made sense.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

When I first read that line I thought it had something to do with significant figures!
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Time elapsed since I started trying to figure this out: approx. 2 hours, 20 minutes.

How far I've gotten: Nowhere.

A brilliant victory for the Retarded Monkeys Club.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
wooooo! Retarded monkeys!

I haven't figured it out either. Everytime I think I have a clue I'm wrong.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

. . . and eight minutes later the answer is mine.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
darn you! I still don't have it!!!
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

Here's a clue: Stop thinking. Works every time!
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
This game makes no sense. Petals around the rose? The only way that could be significant would be if the numbers were possible numbers of petals on a rose, and that still doesn't help calculate. *sigh*
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

Don't try to calculate. It won't help. Did you read the story?
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

I had it right for three in a row, then I lost it again. Aaarrrrg!
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

I read the story. You have to calculate _something_ to get any score at all.
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

Julie, you're cheating. No clues.
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

Don't worry, Saxon. The story tells me nothing except that the smarter you are the more impossible it gets.
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

Macc, I took no such oath as I haven't figured it out yet, and this is what I think I have so far:

It has something to do with doubles
When there are two sets of doubles, the number goes up
When there are three fives, the answer is sometimes twelve and sometimes fourteen.

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
My G&T teacher tormented us with this for about five minutes once a week over the course of several months until we all got it.

She made it harder by telling us about "flowers that aren't roses"...

But she bent our brains, which is always a good thing.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

The only thing I can come up with is that the letters could stand for numbers. But that doesn't work either. This is hopeless.

[Addited] This will be stuck in my brain for the rest of my life. There is no pattern whatsoever.

We hates it! We hates it forever!!!

[ December 01, 2003, 06:03 PM: Message edited by: Maccabeus ]

Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, well, I figured it out, but I can't say as I understand what the name has to do with anything.

HC

Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

Then you might not have figured it out. I thought that too and it turned out that my "pattern" was a coincedence that lasted a surprisingly long time.
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh

my head hurts. and i've only been trying for 10 minutes!

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

I was showing my dad with real dice. He gave up and asked what the secret was. I told him I couldn't tell him but I gave him the link. [Smile]
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
The site is playing a keyboard-MIDI version of Rush's "Red Barchetta."

How can anything be so cool and so lame at the same time.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

What a relief - I got it.

Now I can get back to work (huh, who am I kidding?)

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

I found it. (No, I haven't been working on it all this time--I went to get some pictures taken with family right after I found it.)

Specifically, I found it on Google. How's that for thinking outside the box?

imogen
Member # 5485

Hmm, I think that kind of thinking outside the box is also referred to as cheating...

The question is - which member of the Fraternity of Petals around the Rose divulged the secret?!?

Maybe there's a Fraternity of Petals around the Rose Mafia.... they better watch out.

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I'm too math-oriented, but I got it as of the first try. For me it was incredibly easy, but you can ask Mama -- that's just how my brain works. I went ten for ten, so I assume my reasoning was correct. Or I need to hit Vegas really soon.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

I think I took longer cos I'm too math orientated. I had a really nifty indices system going for a little while.

Needless to say, it didn't work.

I guess it is one of those things that looks so obvious when you get it - whether that's on the first or fiftieth role.

Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
i tried it five times. then i searched on google for the answer. so, needless to say, i figured it out.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Searching on Google does not count as "figuring it out" -- particularly not after a whopping five attempts. *rolls eyes*

I don't know whether I'm more ashamed of those of you who caved -- on what is, after all, actually a very easy puzzle; more than one of us got it on literally our first guess -- or the traitors who posted the answer online. [Smile]

[ December 01, 2003, 10:02 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I got it all right. I verified my solution (not by googling, or getting the answer outright, but another way). I guess I just don't get the meaning of the title. Regardless. My mathematically inclined mind figured it out relatively quickly. Not on the first try mind you, as I needed a sample set to work from without any prior knowledge.
Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

The "traitors" were little kids who probably did not realize they were letting the secret slip. Ah, the innocence of youth. They didn't say it in so many words, but they gave me the clue.

I would never have associated the "petals around the rose" with the solution--quite possibly not if I worked on the problem my entire life. I just don't think that way. I was trying to remember what I learned in botany about what kinds of flowers have multiples of what number of petals.

So yeah, I cheated. I don't see it as any different than, say, turning off clipping when you see how to get through a video game puzzle but no matter how long you practice you just aren't dextrous enough for it.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

"I don't see it as any different than, say, turning off clipping when you see how to get through a video game puzzle but no matter how long you practice you just aren't dextrous enough for it."

Yeah, but I see THAT as cheating, too. [Smile]

cyruseh
Member # 1120

- posted      Profile for cyruseh   Email cyruseh         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to admit, I am completely stumped... I have been trying all morning. [Smile]
Posts: 879 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

Tom> There was a time when I did, too. Then I began playing Doom (until I beat it; I forget which iteration it was). Every single puzzle yielded relatively easily except for one spot where you had to run over these columns sticking up over the acid. If I turned early, I toppled in. If I waited and turned a bit later, I skidded off the columns and toppled in on the other side. If I walked instead of running, naturally I fell in between the columns.

After going over and over this many many times I finally concluded the game had been misdesigned, there was no way of doing it "right", and the only way through was to just turn off clipping and go. I did take a big hit from the acid, which I considered payment.

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been getting it semi-correct, but that is only because I read the Bill Gates story and am doing exactly what he did as far as remembering previous rolls.

Grrrr. I'm too stubborn to google it though it is tempting!

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cyruseh
Member # 1120

I have tried googling it banna, and havent been able to find any answers. All I can find are people who are sworn to secrecy! [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 879 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Cyruseh, after whining (I played it most of yesterday) I went back and played it today.

Actually what I did was I went and looked at that thread about Bill Gates, and I studied those rolls since there were more on the screen at once. Once you see it, it IS stupidly easy. I think I've got the algorithm figured out too which isn't a hard one, once you know the premise. I'm amazed that Happy could figure it out only mathematically though without actually looking at the dice.

I wonder if it is actually harder or easier for people who are numerically oriented compared to visually oriented. I know I was too caught up in trying to pull wild equations out of my rear to actually see the obvious. It wasn't until my eyes caught the visual patterns of several rolls next to each other that I got it.

AJ

[ December 02, 2003, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

I'm sure it is. But that's only because numerically-oriented people can't see the obvious. [Wink] j/k

Seriously, I think it's because your typical numerically-oriented person thinks in terms of mathematical patterns, and this puzzle doesn't.

cyruseh
Member # 1120

Yes, the whole time I was doing different math equations on the dice, I would have never gotten it.

I have it now, and since I got it by cheating (googling) should I still swear to secrecy? [Evil]

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Sorry tom, I edited my first post to change it. If you think your average numerically oriented person doesn't get it as often, then how does that explain you or Moose?

AJ

TomDavidson
Member # 124

I'm not numerical at all, believe it or not. Numbers make my tummy hurt.
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

*smacks forehead* now I understand the title. And normally I do get the whole visually oriented thing. [Dont Know]
BannaOj
Member # 3206

[ROFL] So you are a non-numerical nerd then Tom?

AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Or are you constantly popping antacid as a computer administrator?
[Big Grin]
AJ

TomDavidson
Member # 124

You know, it's amazing how few numbers are actually required in order to administrate a computer. [Smile]
saxon75
Member # 4589

quote:
I know I was too caught up in trying to pull wild equations out of my rear to actually see the obvious.
What is it about the human rectum that makes it such a powerful generator of wild equations and random theories? Simply amazing.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.