FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Battlestar Galactica

Author Topic: Battlestar Galactica
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone else watch the first part of the mini-series on Sci-Fi last night?

My thoughts:

**** spoiler alerts************

It wasn't as bad as it could have been, by a long shot.

What I liked:

Edward James Olmos as Adama. I just like Olmos in about anything he's in. He doesn't have the voice of Lorne Green, but who does?

Space Sequences: I liked how the pulled back on the music to at least give the illusion of space.

Battle scenes: Not as dynamic as the original series but pretty good.

The ships: Vipers very cool, the Raptor ECM ship was well done, the Cylon ships were good with a great nod to the old glowing red eye.

Baldar: Even slimier than the first one.

Boomer: Most believable and likable character.

What I didn't like:

Apollo: Errr Lee Adama. C'mon, give us back the dutiful son character, it was much more believable.

Starbuck: Didn't mind the change of genders, but I really did mind the complete change of personality. The suave rogue is a great character, the fist-fighting, cigar smoking warrior has been done to death. Blech.

The Cylons: Okay, I hate the blonde one. Completely useless character. Eye candy. CGI-cylons... errr, not bad.

Pacing: Umm, an hour before the fight starts. Sadly, the hour spent building suspense didn't do very well at that, it was, sadly, pretty boring. Come to think of it, MOST of the first two hours was boring.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
***SPOILERS*** (If you missed part one, it will be rebroadcast tonight.)

I was not expecting great things for this remake of what I regarded as a cynical attempt at producing a "Wagon Train to the Stars." But episode one wasn't too bad. The robotic Cylons are better, and the roles of 6 of 12 and Baltar make sense. I like the fact that Baltar was presented as being a decent enough person to admit that the hard-of-seeing woman next to him had drawn number 47--the last number to be allowed onto the fighter for evacuation. So he is not a totally bad person. He was duped into betraying his species.

But now you just know he won't tell anybody.

I also like the fact that for once, they have fighters maneuvering in the vacuum of space in a realistic manner, using maneuvering jets you can see firing, and not banking and turning like airplanes in atmosphere.

The man they cast as Commander Adama works in that role, maybe better even than Lorne Greene did.

While the music retains some of the original series' themes, it is satisfyingly updated.

Starbuck does not make a lot of sense to me yet as a character, but we've only seen part one of a two-part introductory episode, so I'll wait and see.

I hope at some point they explain why the Cylons want to exterminate their creators. Is it some kind of cybernetic psychological angst? They already fought one war to a draw, went off to live on their own planet, and have had no contact with humans for 40 years, so why renew the war?

I'm glad the fighter pilots' helmets do not look like sphinxes. The hokey attempts at tie-ins with ancient Egypt in the old series are thankfully absent. Besides, Stargate SG-1 has done a much better job of providing tie-ins with ancient Egypt. That ground might as well be conceded to Stargate.

I almost said "Oh no," when the front of the Cylon fighters resembled the heads of old series Cylons, complete with scrolling red light. But when it became evident that was how they transmitted the signal that deactivated the electronic systems of the newer ships, that became a little more tolerable. The front of the Cylon fighters still strike me as looking a little silly, though. Like the fighter ships are wearing helmets.

It is an interesting angle that the Battlestar Galactica managed to survive because it had old technology, with non-networked computers that were not affected by the Cylon's broadcast signals meant to disrupt such systems.

The doomsday scenario, with nukes falling on the colony worlds, had a scary enough sense of realism. And the sense of confusion in the midst of battle pretty much got across.

All in all, part one turned out better than I expected, much better than I feared. A lot depends on how certain plot elements are further developed, but so far so good.

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it! [Big Grin] (in fact, I was going to start this thread)

The original was REALLY lame. The dialogue was horrible, the acting was horrendous, and the special effects...well, they weren't special.

Someone actually told me that "if it resembles the original at all, it's going to be terrible".

I think that so far, they've done a good job with the new show. It wasn't half bad. (well, except for the couple of unnecessary scenes) They can still ruin it in the next couple of episodes, though.

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luthe
Member # 1601

- posted      Profile for luthe   Email luthe         Edit/Delete Post 
is this a show, or a mini series?

I thought that it was a mini series.

Posts: 1458 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone please tell me I am dreaming about posting on Hatrack today. They REMADE Battlestar Galactica? Someone already saw ROTK? Darn Nyquil.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a miniseries. Up until last night I thought it was a show.
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
If it does well in the ratings, it will become a series. I grinned when the 'fanfare' they played when Apollo led the ships in formation in a salute to Adama was the theme from the original. Ah, nostalgia.

:wishes he had the money to buy the DVD set of the original:

[ December 09, 2003, 01:49 PM: Message edited by: Taalcon ]

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

oh...I'm not sure if that's a good thing...
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

**spoilers**

OK, the guy has a cylon is his head, and talks to himself, and makes funny faces, and NO ONE NOTICES!!! What the heck? Even when they're having a conversation with him!

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I've never watched the original, but Steve got me sucked in tonight. I'd like to see the rest though!

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

***spoilers***
Ha! She's a cylon! I saw that one coming. I suspected it was her. *glows with pride*

Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
So, that was, what? A pseudo-pilot? I figured it would be more than two parts, but the info I can find called tonight's part the conclusion (2 of 2). Until I saw Taalcon's post I was kinda upset at the way the thing was ended, but if it was meant to lead into a new series I can live with it. Can't say for sure if I'd watch the series or not, probably a few eps anyway.
Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

quote:
OK, the guy has a cylon is his head, and talks to himself, and makes funny faces, and NO ONE NOTICES!!! What the heck? Even when they're having a conversation with him!
I think much of the conversation was in his head - notice he seemed to 'jump out of it' with a yell of 'No!' the first time she starts to kiss him - and when she starts to ... pleasure him, we see Baltar's reaction to the experience - which is completely in his head. So yeah - I think the conversations are Silent.

Final Verdict?

A lot better than it could've been. EJO did an admirable job as Adama, methinks. However, too many of the 'reimaginings' of the characters were so vastly different from their namesakes, I wonder why they didn't just change their names. (Boomer, Ty, and even Apollo is a MUCH different character. And then, of course, there's Starbuck.)

Ah well. I liked the homage to the opening narration of the original that Adama quotes from the scrolls, "Life out here began out there..."

-Taal

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh no, not her!

Second episode was pretty good. Neat twist to have there be some Cylons who don't know they are Cylons, until they're activated, like sleeper agents.

I do wonder about that note Adama found that says there are 12 models of humanoid Cylons. Did that come from Baltar? They'll have to ask him how he knows. "Well, you see, Number Six told me."

[ December 09, 2003, 11:31 PM: Message edited by: Ron Lambert ]

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

what it's the end?! THat's not fair. Just when I was starting to like it even though it dragged in places.

AJ

And how the heck can the sci-fi channel call it an "epic conclusion"??? THat wasn't a conclusion!

AJ

[ December 09, 2003, 11:43 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked this show for the most part. There were times in the second part that dragged, but the characters were finally growing on me. The president is really cool, both sensitive and strong at the same time; although she makes too many quick judgements for someone previously low ranking. Could come from some ambition, but she doesn't seem the kind.

Adama is more military than the original. Perhaps more realistic, but not deep enough a personality.

Boomer seems the most human of all of them other than the sometimes over the top President. Ironic considering the ending.

I really miss the original Starbuck. the character they have is all toughness and no heart. Captian Apollo is similiarly characterized; pure business and no heart.

The story has been streamlined and improved, but I wish they would have stayed closer to the original characters.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

The Boomer ending made no sense to me - especially in context of the character from the original series. Grrr.

Would've made MORE sense if it was the Chick Who Kept Hitting On The Young Curly Haired Guy.

As for not being a completely satisfying ending - duh, they want you to want to see more so they can make the weekly series! This of this as a very expensive and highly promoted Pilot. (kind of like what B5 did).

[ December 10, 2003, 01:19 AM: Message edited by: Taalcon ]

Wussy Actor
Member # 5937

- posted      Profile for Wussy Actor   Email Wussy Actor         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The original was REALLY lame. The dialogue was horrible, the acting was horrendous, and the special effects...well, they weren't special.
Eruve, It was really cool if you were seven.

We always had fights over who got to be Starbuck, so it was a little disappointing that he turned out to be a she.

Posts: 288 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

quote:
and the special effects...well, they weren't special.
Are you kidding? Think of the time - this was right after Star Wars came out, and it even had John Dykstra, one of the key influences on the effects in SW, working on it. For a television show, the effects were pretty darn groundbreaking.
Sopwith
Member # 4640

Well, in it's day, the original Battlestar Galactica series rocked. I can remember my whole family getting excited when it was going to come on TV. At nine years of age and a huge Star Wars fan, this was my weekly dose of the "cool!!!!s".

On to last night's part two.

You know, I really liked this. It was much better than part one, especially in the realm of pacing. The battle scene was breathtaking and the story held together.

But dang it, Boomer? Just like in the first series, I liked her the best. Dagnabbit.

And I thought they worked in Boxie quite well.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
Kids liked BSG, Sop. Watch it again as an adult, and you'll see how truly terrible it was.
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

You mean...that's the end? Only 2 episodes? Grrr...

I guess back then (for all you OLD people [Wink] ) the special effects would have been pretty cool.

quote:
Would've made MORE sense if it was the Chick Who Kept Hitting On The Young Curly Haired Guy.

I thought the same thing. But I still suspected Boomer.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

I guess I thought when they said "mini-series" it would be something like "Taken" with a new episode each night for a week. At the same time I'd could definitely watch a regular show too. At least for a while until I got bored.

AJ

Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

I thought it would be at least 3 episodes, but apparently I was wrong. [Dont Know]
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
Original BG had some pretty awesome special effects for TV at the time.

I thought the new Starbuck *did* nail one scene dead perfect true to the old Starbuck:

Apollo: Don't you think we're coming in a little too hot?

Starbuck: No.

To understand, you have to have seen her delivery of the word "no". It went from rock hard steely-eyed confidence to "OMG what am I DOING????" over the course of one syllable (not drawn out in any way, either... just "no").

She must have been channeling Dirk Benedict, because I recognized it instantly and also realized that I haven't seen anything like it for about 25 years.

It's the whole miniseries, to me, to see her deliver that one line so perfectly.

RE: other things, I like the extra internal conflicts, especially the way everyone hates Ty and how complex his character has become, think EJO is a superior Adama, very much appreciate the truer flight physics on the ships, like the new treatment of Baltar, and generally, as a fan of the original show (spent *years* playing BG with my brother, pretending our bikes were vipers) thought this just kicked @$$ all over the original.

Not that I care about this at all, but was there a single Black character in the entire mini-series? I don't even recall an extra...

[ December 10, 2003, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: T. Analog Kid ]

Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Yes, the tall girl that was somesort of aide to the admiral, and who kissed the young diplomat guy in the hall was black. At least she was the only main-ish character I can think of.

AJ

Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

That slender lady who hit on the young guy with curly hair was black. But there aren't many. None of the humanoid Cylons we have seen so far were black.
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

AJ, you must have beat me by a matter of seconds with that.
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
hmmm... must be something wrong with my set... I remember her looking more Indian (eastern) but I was pretty distracted at the time:

The show nearly cost me a child because I was gonna kill him if he turned off my satellite feed one more time...

Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for jack           Edit/Delete Post 
Kandyse McClure was born in South Africa and now lives in Vancouver. http://abyss.hubbe.net/gfx/covers/jtv/lg/head/mcclure-lg.jpg Hubba, hubba.

She's hot. She's also on Jeremiah.

Posts: 171 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

According to Nielsen Media Research, the first night showing of part 1 gained a market share of 3.5, and the second night's showing of part 2 increased to 3.8. Thus both nights easily exceeded the 3.3 share that had been promised to the show's national advertisers. This seems to indicate a strong likelihood that the new Battlestar Galactica will be approved to go into series. Some media sites dedicated to the show are suggesting this approval could come sometime before the end of this month (Dec. 31).
Sopwith
Member # 4640

Hmmm, I'd be interested enough to keep watching. And honestly, I thought I wouldn't be.

Live and learn, watch and enjoy I guess.

Taalcon
Member # 839

Same here, Sop. I went in wincing, came out pretty won over.

One thing I'll point out for history-repeats itself irony: notice the effects - they wanted the 'documentary/hand-held' effect for the battle, like with the quick shaky-cam ZOOMs, which make Space Battles seem a bnit more like Saving Private Ryan-type photography. Which isn't a bad thing at all.

However... this was first done in STAR WARS: EPISODE II. So once again, BSG is coming on the heels of new Star Wars visual effects technological innovations [Embarrassed] )

Say what you want about Lucas, the effect is pretty cool, and something new and exciting for Space Battles, IMHO.

Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
Grr. I missed most of the first part, which was only aired twice--once the night I was going in to work, when I caught the first half, and once the next night when I didn't expect it to be on. Who knows when it'll come on again?
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Feyd Baron
Member # 1407

- posted      Profile for Feyd Baron   Email Feyd Baron         Edit/Delete Post 
Maccabeus, both parts will be shown sunday, though I'm not sure of the time. I'll get a discussion I had earlier up here when I have time.

Feyd Baron, DoC

Posts: 1000 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for jack           Edit/Delete Post 
Sunday, 7/6 central.
Posts: 171 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SpeakerForTheDead
Member # 2644

- posted      Profile for SpeakerForTheDead   Email SpeakerForTheDead         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it would have made MUCH more sense for Adama to be a Cylon. He might still be one, after all.

Here's my wacked-out hypothesis:
-Adama was the first human-model Cylon
-He DOES NOT HAVE a "collective unconscious"
-His original mission was espionage or sabotage, but he defected.

But, then again, I was convinced that The Matrix would end up being a Matrix in a Matrix. But, I was just kind of wrong.

Posts: 53 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MoonRabbit
Member # 3652

- posted      Profile for MoonRabbit   Email MoonRabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't see the new miniseries when it was on TV. We just rented it and watched it though, and about 10 minutes in I hit pause and yelled "DID I JUST SEE WHAT I THINK I JUST SAW?"

Hit the slow rewind and there it was, plain as day. Of course you won't believe me. Rent it yourself.

In the pre-battle scenes, specifically the shot where it pans down from looking at the ships flying overhead to the lady-who-will-be-president just about to find out she has cancer, there's a small ship in the upper left hand corner of the frame that's only in the shot for about a second.

It's Serenity.

Like I said, you won't believe me so rent it yourself.

Posts: 173 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
The Battlestar Galactica TV series premiers Friday, 14 January at 9:00et.

http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fil
Member # 5079

- posted      Profile for fil   Email fil         Edit/Delete Post 
Moon, I believe the SFX company that did this show also did "Firefly." It is pretty apparent with the "hand-held" camera style of some of the space shots as well as the minimalist sound effects for the space battles. Glad they had a small homage to it in this show. I wonder, are they doing the movie FX for Serenity? Or too busy with Battlestar? Anyway, very jazzed for the series. Hope it holds up to the pilot's quality. Any check out the trailer for the series? See the original Apollo make an appearance in the trailer...wonder if he is full time cast member or just a cameo?
Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cor
Member # 4295

- posted      Profile for Cor   Email Cor         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just now discovering this thread and can't believe I missed the miniseries...I was actually following its conception about a year ago and when it got put on hold...again...I lost track of it.

However, with Starbuck being a girl now (yeah, I knew it was coming), all my young girl fantasies about him are completely destroyed.

"What's Starbuckin? Sounds interesting..." (woman in prison for crimes committed by her ancestors) From the original series.

"It's...a name!" (Starbuck - in prison for alleged bootlegging...go figure)

And then there was "Galactica 1980" eeekkkk! The only decent episode was...guess..."The Fate of Lieutenant Starbuck" with Dirk Benedict guest starring. I have it on VHS.

Posts: 676 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Will they show the miniseries again before the series starts up?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
Sky-One has aired up to episode 10 I think.
It gets even better. I won't spoil anything. This is one of my new favorite series.

Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starbuck
Member # 4552

- posted      Profile for Starbuck           Edit/Delete Post 
::struts through thread::

<3

[Cool]

Posts: 19 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.