FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » You will always remember this as the year when... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: You will always remember this as the year when...
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
You almost captured Ja-

No, seriously, what will you remember 2003 by?

Something worldwide, Something personal, or perhaps something else...

For me, this year is the War in Iraq, the year I failed math, the fifth Harry Potter book, 'Return of the King' and a visit to England.

What will you remember this year by?

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
:Locke
Member # 2255

- posted      Profile for :Locke   Email :Locke         Edit/Delete Post 
This is the year I saved my future by moving to a better place.
Posts: 1744 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
This is the year I took my place as rightful ruler of the world.

Hey, I still have 12 hours left. It could happen. Come on Pinky....

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I got a Litebrite.

[Smile]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
The year I started putting the shattered pieces of my life back together.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
rivka, can I borrow some glue?

This is the year I got divorced for good!

And became a Texan. And an honorary Aggie. And got my new house.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
I broke off an engagement, finally, finally dealt with traumatic events of FIVE freakin' years ago, got my own apartment...

jeez, something had to be good. Oh yeah - my best friend had a baby, and despite the fact that I'm single, working, and living 1200 miles away and she's married, has a baby, and lives in West Jordan, we're still practically sisters and I'm confident that won't change. I mean, jeez, at the point, you know you aren't friends merely because it's convenient. So that's lovely. [Smile]

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This is the year I got divorced for good!
Bob -- as opposed to divorced for bad?
Or "almost divorced" (which is kinda like "a little bit pregnant")...

I must have missed some of that story somewhere....

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, Hatrack is a key ingredient in my "glue" -- apply liberally. It helps. [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
I got my M.A.

I got a job as a translator.

Tom proposed to me.

Wait. No, he didn't. Duh, misleading thread titles.

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
2003 is the year I became nobody’s granddaughter anymore. [Frown]

2003 is also the year I met (in 3D) Jeni, Vana and Lime, Xnera, Tom and Christy, Bob Scopatz, Claudia Therese, Primal Curve, BannaOJ and Steve, Dan Raven and his wife, Celia and her husband, Papa Moose and Mooselet, and Rivka. [Smile]

Edit: 2003 is also the year I met Ryuko, who is so cool she gets her own paragraph. [Cool]

[ December 31, 2003, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: dkw ]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I guess I had a pretty uneventful year when I think about it..

...the year of the Shuttle explosion (which I will remember right up there with 1986)

...and I'll remember the whole news ordeal with Elizabeth Smart's kidnapping..

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
DKW, that is a fine list. I think it was a better year for you than me, when I only met a handfull, and became Ruler of the World.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
This is the year our Rainbow had surgery. It's also the year Christian started private school. I think after you have kids time is marked by what happens to them.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I knocked somebody up and bought another house. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
In addition to all the obvious political/larger world type stuff, I'll remember this as the year that I met and became friends with my new cat, and the year that somebody rammed my car head-on (let's hope that that turns out to be a singular enough event that it stands out an event unique to 2003).
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Just "somebody", Tom? [Smile]
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Bob -- as opposed to divorced for bad?
Or "almost divorced" (which is kinda like "a little bit pregnant")...

Farmgirl: My ex and I are on our second divorce. The first one didn't take. This one will.

It's a long story. We're still friends. (As one of our friends put it, we make better friends than roommates. [Big Grin] ) It's just better this way. A LOT better. So, I'm divorced for good and for good.

Rivka: I think of each and every person here at Hatrack as rendered horse... Plenty of glue!!!!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Ah... I see....

My ex and I are very good friends, as well. But thankfully I've never had the urge to re-marry him..
Just glad we get along (for the kids' sake)

FG

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Yes, thankfully, we didn't have any children to use against each other in the breakup. Although I think we probably could've managed that as well. It's just harder, especially if the kids are young.

That and the state laws are stricter -- FL allows uncontested simple divorce in cases with no children and it doesn't require a lawyer or even much of a court appearance. $168 in fees and it's done.

If you have children, or are contesting the divorce, then it gets expensive and nasty.

Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like dkw's list... [Frown] ...I'm not on it!!

<--- Forgotten about... [Cry]

This is the year I met Bob_Scopatz and dkw, and became Hatrack real. [Big Grin]

Also the year that I had my worst birthday ever, what with the car accident and all. [Frown]

I started college, and everything about that's new and interesting, except the boring bits, which are new and boring. [Wink]

I saw RotK, which I will remember forever. [Smile]

I had four jobs this year, two of which were hellishly bad. I'll remember this well because of how hard my taxes will be... [Mad]

There's something else I'll remember, but it may be too racy for Hatrack. No, it's definitely too racy for hatrack. No clues, either. [Razz]

^_^ But I'll remember Hatrack cheifly, and all the cool people I hung around with here.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Ryuko! I'm so sorry. I'll fix it right now.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
^_^ Thanks, dkw. (feels loved)
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I discovered all these weird senses and abilities.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the events that I'll remember from this year happened through Hatrack, so I'll only point out some key notes.

1st, I graduated and also started College.
2nd, my sister took my car. Ya, that's right. She took it.
3rd, Grandma died.
4th, sister got married.
5th, both online and in real life, I've met some awesome people. And for the first time, I took a trip by myself.
6th, got my Eagle Scout.
7th, my dog died. However, we got a new puppy.
8th, two words: shudder hug. That will always be remembered in my High School experience.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] Congrats on the Eagle Nathan. Impressive.

This is the year I

*visited New York for the first time
*visited Europe for the first time
*for once didn't fall madly in love with ANYONE!
*started swing dancing (as of last night!)
*participated in two rather large and fun Hatrack get togethers
*met OSC and went to a signing
*sang a full real role in an opera (even if it was only for a summer program)

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
ooo. What opera?
I had many impossible things happen

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Eventful year for me:
1. Sold my business of 11 years.
2. Got engaged.
3. Started law school.
4. Discovered Hatrack.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Wow. Big year Dagonee!! [Smile]

Synesthesia, it was Mozart's "Impresario." It's a one act singspiel and a comedy! Woohoo!!

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
The year the US invaded Iraq.
The year I road my bicycle to the Tour de France.
The year my mother-in-law was diagnosed with cancer.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

This is the year I met Ryuko's mother!

[Big Grin]

(oh, and Ryuko too!)

And dkw twice! And spend an evening with her family and go to a RenFaire with her...

and meet Boon (and kids)
and Caleb & Kayla and Tabithecat...

I also met Ela (and her hubby), JaneX, Shlomo, Narrativium, and Rakeesh, and pH, although maybe that was last year -- it's getting kind of a long time ago.

and Moose and Squirrel and Mooselet and sort of got introduced in advance to Superstation,

I'd previously met zgator but I met Mrs. Zgator this year,

I got to see Icarus and Cor together on stage.

I got to go to California and attend my middle nephew's bar mitzvah.

It's the year I started taking blood pressure medication.

It's also the year I finally bought a windup mantle clock with Westminster chimes.

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Superstation and The Crystal City.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Noteworthy events in 2003 for moi:

*starting and ending the year with multi-day cluster migraines and emergency room visits.

*The birth of my newest niece, Katie.

*First time submitting an op-ed, getting it published in a major paper and reprinted in 15-20 more. And getting paid for it!

*Two of the greatest organizing successes of my career in terms of enlisting support of mainstream organizations in pretty controversial issues.

*Found Hatrack, lurked, delurked, and enjoyed the company. [Smile]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StigLarson
Member # 5579

- posted      Profile for StigLarson           Edit/Delete Post 
The year I lost a million buying orange juice, when I should have sold frozen cod. Happy new year to all at Hatrack.
Posts: 85 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
This year I went to Oaxaca, Mexico to study art...

This was the year I was accepted into the upper level graphic design program at MSU...

This was the year I met my first Hatrackers!

First it was Speed and Zemra and T Smith

Then it was Narnia and Abrynne and Zotto and Ralphie and JohnnyNSB and Shigosei and Mr. Funny and Moon Rabbit and Nick and Jeni and Crystal

And Hobbes! This was the year I met my only boyfriend to last more than 2 months and, consequentially, the most fabulous person I've ever known. [Kiss] This was a pretty fabulous year, this. [Smile]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
The year when:
I met Foxy Paul (sadly he, Ted and Jaids are the only Jatraqueros I've met in person so far - you guys have to come to Britain more!). Knowing Paul made the war in Iraq so much more scary than it would otherwise have seemed.
I finished my degree and started my first real job.
I produced a play.
England won the Rugby World Cup [The Wave] WOOHOOO!!!!

Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
This year was not a good year for me. I have been through 4 different jobs, left my boyfriend of 3 1/2 years, stopped going to school because I can't afford it right now and watched all my friends graduate from college and move away. Well, I guess things aren't all bad..I've gotten a chance to become very close with my family. I think even through all of this, I am grateful to have a family like mine. I hope all of you out there have a strong support network to get you through the bad times (and good) too.

This was also the year I joined Hatrack and I hope next year I can meet some of you!

OMG! How could I forget RotK!

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skeptic
Member # 5273

- posted      Profile for skeptic   Email skeptic         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought my first house--that has to be the biggest thing.
Other things that happened:
My first class of AP Biology students graduated and went to colleges.
I was hired for a second year!
My evil mother-in-law died, though the pain she inflicted on my wife remains.
My father-in-law had a heart attack and lived.
I got to sleep with a college girl again [Evil] (my wife started grad. school for the second time).
Lance Armstrong won #5 (I'm so jealous of you Rabbit--for riding to TDF, not for mother-in-law issues).

Posts: 57 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Grammy ran me over. [Angst]

What more can I say.

All right.

Started the year off with a Hatrack Get-Together in Oregon [Big Grin] and ended the year with a promotion at work. [Smile]

But in-between?

Grammy ran me over.

And somehow, it's till my fault for being hurt. [Wall Bash]

Oh!!!! AND - Nathan completely broke his left arm falling out of a tree AND one month after the cast came off, broke his wrist on the same arm. [Eek!]

There's more. But I'll stop now.

Happy New Year everyone and much luck in the year ahead!

[ December 31, 2003, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: Shan ]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
This is the year I finally graduated... other than my mission, the first semester I've been out of school since Kindergarten. My entrance into the real working world.

This is the year I discovered Hatrack, and even met a couple of Jatraqueros (Annie and T_Smith) in real life. I've never before met anyone online that I'd agree to see in real life, so you can be sure I'll remember that.

I took my wife to Houston to meet my dad and stepmom in their natural habitat this summer. It was the first time Elona had been in Texas, and the first time that she had spent more than a couple hours at a stretch with my family. They got along incredibly well, which has changed my relationship with my parents for the better. My wife and my stepmom in particular are now just like best friends, and I've been talking to my parents more since then than I ever have in my life. I'm sure I'll remember this year for that trip.

I guess that's about all, other than the war and other big events. On the whole, it's been a good year.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Columbia.
Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
They finally figured out my meds.

So it's the first year of the rest of my life. [Big Grin]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
The things I'll remember about 2003:

1) PC and meeting Bernard
2) Getting my Water Safety Instructor licence
3) Graduating from high school
4) Going to LSU and meeting Toretha (and everyone else there, who aren't Jatraqueros)
5) Getting engaged
and...
6) RotK!

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Yay mack!!! [Smile]

(and yay for everyone else's good stuff too, but especially YAY MACK!!)

I'm so glad for you.

Koga
Member # 5646

- posted      Profile for Koga   Email Koga         Edit/Delete Post 
I graduated from highschool this year, which I may remember because it is the year that is carved into my senior ring. Though quite honestly I stopped wearing it months ago, so maybe that won't affect it much.

I might think of it as the year I joined hatrack, it seems farily likely

It will probably stand out as the year I went to college, and failed some classes and bairly passed others, I'm hopeing those grade will be a singular event and will thus stand out.

Most likely though what 2003 will always be to me is the year I met my first girlfriend, and many verry wonderful things about her or assocciated with her. Like the year I went to see Les Miserables again since she was in it (she was little Cossette and was great in the role). There is alot more I might say about this year, but maybe I'll save that for when this year is over and I'm feeling all naustalgic. [Cool]

[ December 31, 2003, 10:52 PM: Message edited by: Koga ]

Posts: 733 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
1) I found the best person in the world
2) .... I forgot what happened to me durring the rest of the year, but a flood comes to mind for some reason. [Wink]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's see...

Hatrack
RotK
Alex/Beth and Jeff's wedding
Meeting OSC
My first grown-up job
Turning 25
Losing my religion

[edit: I forgot one--Strongbad [Big Grin] ]

[ December 31, 2003, 11:03 PM: Message edited by: fiazko ]

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
*I studied abroad in Munich, living without roommates or family for the first time in my life. This caused me to meet one of the best friends I've ever had. [Smile]
*I met some jatraqueros: Lissande, Jaiden, Pod, twinky, and Bob the Lawyer. [Big Grin]
*Someone whom I should have kissed a long time ago finally kissed me. [Blushing]

*On the minus side, I lost one of my best friends because he turned into a complete jerk. [Frown]

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shlomo
Member # 1912

- posted      Profile for Shlomo   Email Shlomo         Edit/Delete Post 
This would be the year I...I...

Ummm...

Well, the Marlins won it all...but that's not a one-time thing.
Jeremy wasn't perpetually within driving distance.
In just about every aspect of my life, I took it up a notch...I've never been more successful and happy or felt such power in my possibilities as I do right now...
...starting to get a bit of a superiority complex too. [Wink]

Posts: 755 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
The year I got engaged...who knew that I'd find the love of my life at the age of 18? At the beginning of the year, I didn't even expect to find anyone to date, much less find who I believe is my soulmate. Also, the year I came to college, and of course Tuesday Trilogy, I won't forget Tuesday Trilogy.
Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.