FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack News: Slacking?

Author Topic: Hatrack News: Slacking?
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
We had to write a timed essay on Bush's new immigration plan in social studies today and I was suprised I hadn't heard about it here yet. Is the Hatrack News slacking?

Some links to the issue:
Bush takes on illegal workers
Reaction mixed on Bush's immigration plan

Though there is also this:
U.S. Halts Cuban Immigration Talks; Worsening of Ties Seen

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
The first I heard was at work today . . . hmmmm -
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, I had to find out India and Pakistan were planning peace talks from the news. [Eek!]
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
It was the first thing I woke up to on my clock radio. o_O
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, wait- I had "fluff only" checked in my profile. Dang. Was it Bob who declared fluff only until the holidays were over? When is Chinese New Year this year? Year of the Monkey!

Holy cow! It's before the Superbowl this year. That seems pretty rare. That means fireworks will be legal on the biggest drinking week of the year...

[ January 07, 2004, 10:06 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
You've got a l...o...n...g... wait 'til the end of fluff: Merry Christmas.

[ January 07, 2004, 10:48 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
back to the subject:

My wife and I are at odds on this. what makes it difficult is there are few details and the devil will be in the details.

Here are the facts: There are millions of jobs in the US that American workers do not want. They are labor intensive and low pay. To pay American workers enough to make them do the jobs, the costs of the products, mostly food, would go up immensely.

This small amount of money for a hard days work is much more than what is available in other countries, so people come here to do the jobs. They risk their lives crossing deserts to do so.

We can either ignore the importances of this labor force to our economy and waste money trying to stop it, or we can admit we need this labor and try to regulate it so that both the employers and the employees benefit.

I say we help those who are working in the US, and tax them appropriately.

My wife says that it is unfair that people who sneak into this country get to stay semi-legally while people who go through the legal immigration system can not enter this country at all. The three year limit on these work visas is less time than it takes to get a regular work visa to enter this country for the average foriegn worker.

We both agree that the argument, "Our tax dollars are giving priviledges like education and health care to law breakers who stole into our country" is an argument that is mostly pathetic.

The economic value these millions of workers are providing this country far out weigh the economic costs to eductate thier kids and heal thier injuries--especially those injuries that occur in working conditions those who are complaining of would never consider entering in the first place.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.