FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » WenchCon Reflections and Acknowledgements (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: WenchCon Reflections and Acknowledgements
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
RANDOM POST OF NOSTALGIA FOR THE THREAD'S 100th POST:

My First Car: The Hamstermobile.

May she rest in pieces.

[ January 31, 2004, 07:03 PM: Message edited by: Taalcon ]

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Noah was still out cold. No motion at all. He looks kind of dead when he sleeps.
[ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL]

Ahem...Dave forgot to mention that when he got lost on the interstate, I was fielding frantic calls from Jeremy:

"We got lost going to the Macaroni Grill!"
"How could you get lost, it's only ONE BLOCK from the hotel!"
"I don't know, but we're lost."
"Well, where are you?"
Somewhere on the interstate."
"On the interstate??!! Which direction are you going?"
"I don't know."
"Well, than, I can't help you. Call me back when you figure out where you are." [Razz]

Later, Dave managed to lose Jeremy and Shlomo. Having given up on eating out, our carload of wenches returned to the hotel to eat lunch leftovers. By the time I realized my cell phone was ringing again, Jeremy had hung up, and didn't answer my return call. A few minutes later, he called on someone else's cell (I forget whose) to tell us that he and Shlomo had gone somewhere different than the rest of their carload to eat, and when they came out they couldn't find the car. We borrowed a third phone to call Dave and determine that Dave was, in fact, not far from wherever Jeremy and Shlomo were, and that Shlomo and Jeremy were NOT left behind. Whew! What on earth did we do before there were cell phones? [Roll Eyes] [Razz]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

I didn't forget to mention anything.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
At some point, I also got a frantic call from JaneX as somebody was trying to find fast food. They didn't really know where they were, and I was no help.

It's funny now, but at the time I sort of felt like I'd let 'em down. [Frown]

Oh, and about the food... a couple of the Strawberry creme pies didn't entirely set. In most of them, the filling was of a sort of pudding-ish consistency, but a few were a little runny. Mine was, thankfully, one of the runny ones.

I just wanted you all to know that, if you got a runny one, I'm sorry. they all came from the same batch of filling, so I don't know what happened. [Dont Know]

I sorta miss you guys... [Cry]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

I don't remember at all what the consitency of my pie was, I just know that it was incredibly yummy. Yous done good, Olivia.

[Hat]

[ January 31, 2004, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: Taalcon ]

Ela
Member # 1365

quote:
I didn't forget to mention anything.
[Razz] [ROFL]

Olivet, my strawberry cream pie was delicious. [Big Grin]

And I don't think I will ever use my bath salts and hobbit wash, cause the smell makes me think of Wenchcon and you guys. [Smile]

That was fun, we need an excuse to do it again... [Big Grin]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

We do. It's called ROTK:EE

[Big Grin]

Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Later, Dave managed to lose Jeremy and Shlomo.
And Lindsay.
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

You know, I could see if I could get a good group rate in the fall... [Evil]

Actually, I must be insane to consider it. But I am. [Razz]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
YEAH! WenchCon 2004: Version 2!! [Big Grin]

~Jane~

[ January 31, 2004, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: JaneX ]

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd come. [Smile]

Noah was a complete gentleman, and he kept me from landing in Dave's lap when we made our turns. *grin* It was a great getting-to-know-you.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

In the Biblical sense, no less...

I'm sorry. That was evil. I just had to. I'm weak. *grin*

[Hail]

katharina
Member # 827

Evil, indeed. [Razz]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorta?

...and when should I get my glasses? (I need to know when to worry).

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Just what I was thinking. Sorta?

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
i really dont want to be your best friend. all i really wanna do is get to know you, all i really wanna do is get to know you in the biblical sense, woah...
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
what? did that make ANY sense?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

Methinks Benny was quoting.
Ela
Member # 1365

NO! Doesn't make sense. [ROFL]

[ January 31, 2004, 11:51 PM: Message edited by: Ela ]

Taalcon
Member # 839

For the record, I just want to reiterate my love of the word 'Methinks', and believe it should be used much, much more often.
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Methinks methinks is a good word!
Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Hey josh, the package is wrapped, addressed, taped, bubble-wrapped (a prezzie [Wink] ), and sitting on my car passenger seat. I'll mail it monday.
Zevlag
Member # 1405

Kat, Great!
Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

Mack, I shipped it when I shipped CT's t-shirt. Priority Mail. You should get it Monday at the latest, I think.
Taalcon
Member # 839

PART VIII: Finding Food and Missing Muppy

I would also like to point out that our Automotive Adventure took place well after sundown on Saturday night, so Shlomo and Jeremy would've had no right to believe that the ordeal of getting 'lost' (as they insisted on calling it) was any kind of divine punishment for any sort of Sabbath Breaking.

However, Lindsay and Noah were both on board, and both may have been the victim if the conversation ever turned to the similarities of the weather conditions with that of Jonah's predicament.

They couldn't oust me, 'cause I was the driver, and would've clung to my keys as I was thrust Overboard.

Plus the car's a stick, and I bet most of 'em couldn't drive a stick. I had the advantage.

And in the eyes of many of us, Katie had been 'victimized' (as much as she'd protest she hadn't been, and as much as we really knew she hadn't), so she would be viewed as the Innocent. And all you get from Taking Out Innocents is...well...bad. Earthquakes, Darkness and the like.

So seeing as there was really nobody we could blame for all this, we'd proceeded to the Fast Foodage.

Actually, the first fast food parking lot we had pulled into was, I believe, a Taco Bell. But as they Exodus from my car occured, everyone also decided that they were not in the mood for Tacos.

I missed that part of the conversation, as I was too busy tossing crap from the back seat of my car into the TRUNK of my car, so as to alleviate the pain a bit Next Time 'Round.

But I looked up and saw Katie and Noah waiting semi-patiently for me, so I decided to heck with it, and slammed down my trunk, and closed my car doors.

I was then informed that Jeremy, Shlomo and Lindsay had chosen Quiznos Subs as their cuisine of choise, and that it was Over There (or allí, as they say in Spanish).

It was then brought up that I had mentioned I'd seen a McDonalds near by, and could it possibly be in walking distance.

Trying to remember exactly what I'd seen, I consented that yes, possibly it was.

Then we turned the corner of the Taco Bell, and saw the Golden Arches... in this case, decidedly allá. Way The Hell Over There.

There was a Wendys near the Quiznos, and being the lazy kids we are, decided it would be wiser in the long run to simply drive over there. It was a courtesy.

The Three Of Us piled in the car (ah, the room! Must have felt like an empty station wagon to the newly emancipated Katie and Noah), and decided to park - for convenience sake - right in front of the Quiznos.

We left the car, and our Triumvirate walked past the Quiznos where we saw J,S&L making their orders inside. We waved to them, and gestured over towards Wendys to let them know our destination.

We were pretty sure they had seen us, and aknowledged with a nod. This satisfied us enough to go to Wendys and get our food.

I already told you how wonderful it tasted to me. Noah and Katie seemed to be enjoying their own Meals of Life just as much as I. We enjoyed a good bit of conversation, involving our own musical talents and/or interests. It was a poigniant little conversation that served as a nice and well needed Intermission between The Madness That Was, and the Madness That Was To Come. (Foreshadowing? Naw. Hype? Definitely.)

After a while, we suddenly realized that we had no way of contacting J,S&L. Noah had my cell phone number, and I had his - but we didn't have any of theirs - and we didn't think they had any of ours. We figured they were taking a while, and we wondered if we should perhaps make our way back over to the Quiznos.

This is about when Noah recieved a phone call from Judy, wondering, in probably slighlty more polite (or possibly much less polite) terms, Where The Hell Are We?

The thought is expressed that we'd left The Others behind, seeing as they didn't see My Car where we had originally let them off.

After a bit of confusion, some profuse apologies, and a few moments of akward silence and quick subject-change concerning the new live action Peter Pan movie, the doors to Wendys slammed open, and in came Jeremy, Shlomo & Lindsay - with their subs in hand, because The Didn't Think They'd Have Time To Sit And Eat, like we had clearly done. They'd been spending most of the time trying to figure out Where The Hell We Were.

I pointed out that we had waved to them, and they had responded.

They replyed quite frankly that "The hell they did," and pointed out that we should've just come in and made SURE they knew where we'd be.

But that would've been too much like the right way to do things.

And we were hungry, and that would've taken more time.

Feeling a bit guilty about the whole affair, I proceeded to point out that they must've had to have literally walked around my car to have reached us. How Could They Have Missed It.

Another side note, all of Dave's Cars since the original Hamstermobile (see additional post above for picture, and Chapter VII for its history), have been attended by the Pets.com Sock Puppet Dog. My sister got it as a gift for me, and it's always had its place of honor in the Rear Passenger Side Window. It was in the Plymouth, the First Saturn, and maintains the tradition still in the Current Car.

A ton of people seemed to mistake it for a monkey instead of a dog, so I eventually decided to name him Muppy, The Monkey Puppy.

Muppy is a very hard to miss fixture, and makes identifying my car incredibly easy.

And these guys missed Muppy.

With the point conceded, and pretty much everybody feeling guilty now in some retrospect, we changed the subject to the much more guilt-free topic of the name of our particular convention, and came to the quick conclusion that The Fellowship of the Rack is in fact a wonderful name that should be used of any further conventions in the future.

Then we loaded up the car again (they all noticed Muppy now), and went back to the hotel.

This trip was relatively uneventful, and Lindsay ended up being the one lapped this time, this time seated on Jeremy.

Now Jeremy and Lindsay got along well, because during the game of Apples to Apples earlier, it had been decided by Committe that Lindsay needed a hug, and the two sitting on opposite sides of her were then given the priviledge and duty to do so. the two Drafted for the job were Mark, and Jeremy. Jeremy dutifully obliged, but Mark Resisted The Call. this was not a Campbellian case of the Resistance, because this particular Wenchling had ALREADY resisted a call. Thus far, both Nathan and Mark have been struck from the Record of Heroes.

Sorry folks. I don't make the rules, I just reports 'em as I sees 'em.

We arrived safe and sound at the Hotel, and as we piled out and headed towards the meeting room - I was suddenly horrified to realize I had suddenly dropped my guard.

It was costume time. And I was unprepared - which meant I'd be getting An Assignment.

Awwwwww crap.

(TO BE CONTINUED...)

[ February 02, 2004, 04:15 AM: Message edited by: Taalcon ]

raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
::struck::
Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

I've got my photos in the wenchcon album now.
I'll ask mark i can put his in, and josh is already letting me put his in. Anyone else is welcome to send thiers to me to put up, too.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I got some today. Should I e-mail them to you?

They are not great - disposable camera.

kwsni
Member # 1831

yeah, sure, though I don't know how well my email server is going to like getting a bunch of pictures... maybe throw them in a zip file first? we'll see.
Stiaman@yahoo.com
I'll be sure to put down who took them.

Ni!

katharina
Member # 827

Okay. [Smile]
quote:
a few moments of akward silence and quick subject-change concerning the new live action Peter Pan movie
I have no memory of this conversation. And I'm sure I was there.

Anyway, yes, very exciting, new Peter Pan movie. [Smile]

Zevlag
Member # 1405

If you have problems sending/receiving them, feel free to send to jgalvez at webpipe . net and I can pass them on.
katharina
Member # 827

The package got mailed today. [Smile] I think...

I just realized I forgot to pay the mail room. Oh dear. <see mack's car thread>

[ February 02, 2004, 07:48 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

katharina
Member # 827

*furrows brow*

The e-mail didn't go through. I'm going to try to send them to Josh.

No new instalment from last night? I want to read about LIT. [Smile]

[ February 03, 2004, 01:12 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Ela
Member # 1365

LIT? [Confused]
Taalcon
Member # 839

*SPOILERS*

...For the Forthcoming chapters in the Recap, that is.

LIT is Lost In Translation.

*/SPOILERS*

[ February 03, 2004, 10:46 PM: Message edited by: Taalcon ]

Taalcon
Member # 839

PART IX: "We Lost A Bet"

Let it be known that I'm a bit shy. Much LESS shy than I was before college, but still shy nonetheless. It's a self-confidence issue that I'm progressively overcoming, but one thing I try hardest not to do is to make an Ass Of Myself in Public. Embarrassing myself is one thing. Embarrassing those I'm with is something else entirely.

But what happens when everyone you're with is planning on embarassing everyone evenly?

Welcome to WenchCon, folks, and preparation for the Main Event, the viewing of Return of the King, in the theater --- in full costume.

I have never dressed up for a movie before. The geekiest things I've ever done were to go to a Star Trek convention when I was like 11 (got to see Michael Dorn speak and sign something of mine - the entire attending audience cheered after an attendee made him Worf out and say "I am NOT a Merry Man"), and to skip school to wait in line to buy like 10 Phantom Menace tickets of the very first showing on opening day for friends, family, and business associates.

Oh yeah, I also showed up for midnight sales of Episode I action figures. George Lucas had me whipped.

I think my retaliation was having my own personal premier of Episode II in my friend's dorm room, a week before the film came out. We had it even earlier, but our conciences and inner geeks wouldn't let us spoil it for ourselves that way -- until my one friend who was even more against viewing a pirated copy came into my room and said, quite clearly, "Dude...we have Star Wars." After a moment of silence, we bounded into the room, and loaded up the Handycammed .avi, and had one of the most memorable, most fun moviegoing experiences of my life.

We later went ot the theater and payed for a screening, and I eventually bought the DVD. No hard feelings, eh George?

*ahem*

Anyway, they were now making me dress up, and there was Nothing I Could Do About It. Some had prepared their own stunning costumes. Sarah was the perfect Sam, Andrea was the perfect match as Frodo, and Olivia put Liv Tyler to shame as Arwen. Hobbes worked it as Gandalf, as did Judy and Katie with their stunning blue and white apparel, respectively.

There were others too, and there are many photos flying around. Everyone looked great.

Geeky, certainly, but great nonetheless.

But for those of us Who Thought We Could Get Out Of It, there were Provisions Made. Cloaks and swords for "Generic Fellowship Members" (who we eventually assigned specific character names), Nazgul suits (of which Lee made especially creepy use of), and Not-Very-Orc-Like-But-You-Get-The-Drift-Anyway Orc Masks - the most memorable of which was worn by Shlomo along with his Tin Foil Torch Of Death.

Nathan went as Orange Tights Man, and Jeremy was stuck as the yellow-booted Tom Bombadil (Tom Bombadillo!

And Lindsay, God Bless 'er, was an absolutely joyous Gimli. Beard and all.

Knowing, of course, that there was No Way Out, I decided to go straight to the source (Andrea) and try to get out with a decent character.

She purveyed my current attire to see What She Had To Work With, and after making note of my Facial Scruff and (in her own words, and not mine) "Sexy Leather Jacket", it was decided that I was to be Boromir of Gondor.

All I needed was a cloak, a belt, a sword, and I was off!

All the camera-carrying folk now were yelling at us to get into group photos. People were now scrambling around like crazt, getting bumped to-and-fro, and I think I freaked out Andrea a few times by getting into character and taking several swipes (physical and verbally) at the Precious Ring around her neck. "Hey, it's for my Dad!" I told her. The reaction was still the same: [Angst]

Then just as people were yelling at all the Orcs/Nazgul to gather together for a Evil People Picture, one of the Orcs started shaking - it took us a moment for us to notice that this wasn't a GOOD shaking. It was Noah, and he was having a bit of an attack of sorts. It was a frightening moment, but he was soon escorted out to get some air by Katie (I think), as the rest of the pictures resumed.

This is when the photo of The Fellowship was taken, and we were all told to "look in character". So what did I do? I looked lustingly towards The One Ring. The fact that it happened to be around Andrea's neck have made viewers of the photos sound off that to them, my eyes appeared to be straying elsewhere. [No No]

And contrary to my somewhat humerous response to those Vile Character Assassination Attempts, I will come out and say that yes, I was merely attempting to be in character and Stare Down The Ring. I'm a good kid.

Really.

[Monkeys]

*ahem*

More photos were taken, and the Fellowship (of the Con - not just those dressed as The Nine) decided that now was the time to head off to the theater if we were to Make The Movie On Time.

I left the Conference Room to check on Noah, to make sure that everything was okay (it was), and then We Were Off...

Somewhat. It was still raining, and nobody would be walking, and there were Lots of Us.

And there was no way in Kansas I was going to drive again.

After continuous instances of 'passing the buck' and remaining silent when people asked if there were 'any other cars available', I eventually snuck off with Lindsay to have Morbo take us to the theater in his Truck.

And Morbo, man, I love you bro, but you scared the be-crap out of us.

This was Karma in motion.

Perhaps I was just a little too uptight thanks to the Prior Happenings, but I kept thinking we were gonna die, and as the moment passed through my head that this is exactly what I put The Others thorugh earlier (except in somewhat different circumstances - it wasn't my fast driving, it was my lack of knowing Where The Hell I Was), we arrived at the theater, and Linday and I jumped out and stood there at the curb, in costume. We looked at the long line of people and wondered if we were going to have things thrown at us. The idea was made to de-robe until other arrived, but just as I began to uncloak (and Lindsay to de-beard), we were shouted at by members of our Own Fellowship. Already in line. We gave each other tentative looks, our brows furrowed, and we Made Our Way Towards The Line.

We discussed the idea that if anyone asked, we'd tell them that we lost a bet, and this is our pennance.

This was right before a young moviegoer shouted out to our whole group that she LOVED our costumes, and could we possibly get together for a group photo that she'd be taking on her Camera Phone?

We obliged, hoping that the photo wouldn't end up anywhere TOO public, and continued to proceed towards the Ticket Booth where finally, I purchased my ticket.

As I walked inside, saw the Ticket Collector give me a glance, and then begin snickering. I approached him sullenly.

"I lost a bet," I said,

"Nah, man. Thas coo', thas' coo'" he said, as he snicker snicker snickered.

[Grumble]

But then I Was Through The Barrier, and waited for the others to finally make it across with me, so we could All Go In Together.

But then came word of a small bit of a problem, as others of our Fellowship were still approaching the Ticket Booth.

"I'm sorry...but Return of the King is now all sold out."

[Confused]

(TO BE CONTINUED...)

[ February 04, 2004, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: Taalcon ]

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd just like to thank you all for having no dignity. You truely are an inspiration to those of us who strive for normal social interaction.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Psycho Triad
Member # 3331

- posted      Profile for Psycho Triad   Email Psycho Triad         Edit/Delete Post 
Awwww primal's just jealous. I'm sure Andrea would have a nice skirt for ya. Especially if you complained.
Posts: 271 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snuffles
Member # 4332

- posted      Profile for Snuffles   Email Snuffles         Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose that posting a link to the wenchcon album would be good.

http://www.foobonic.com/gallery/usr-hatrack-wenchcon

Grrrr!

Posts: 72 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
I see someone finally noticed me.

Just where did I come from anyway? Will I ever be seen again? [Razz]

Wait...Noah had an attack? I missed that entirely. Maybe I was being interrogated by the security guys at the time.

[ February 04, 2004, 02:14 AM: Message edited by: Maccabeus ]

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
<-- wasn't yellow boots

<-- was Merry.

Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

Jeremy was yellow boots. And shlomo's too-small blue jacket.

Ni!

Taalcon
Member # 839

That's what I said. I have no idea what you're talking about.

Pay no attention to the edit times behind the curtain! They mean NOTHING!

Olivet
Member # 1104

The Orc mask Noah wore was known to be poorly ventillated. It has now given both Rakeesh and CalvinMaker hypoxia (though Jeff took it off a little sooner, I think-- before the shakes [Wink] )
katharina
Member # 827

Noah was fine, by the way. [Smile]
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh? What?

Where am I?

Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

CHAPTER X: Santori Time

So now we had a bit of a problem. Half of the WenchCon attendees looked to be blocked out of The Main Event.

We had no idea that this long into the film's theatrical run it would still be selling out. The idea that it had generated mixed emotions all around. We're glad it still CAN sell out...but we're not particularly happy that it DID.

So those of us already in and ticketed stood around, in costume, looking a bit befuddled as we tried to figure out exactly What We Were Going To Do.

It was soon decided and agreed upon that those who had never seen Return of the King before would be getting first priority.

Noah was offered a ticket, having professed to being a ROTK Virgin earlier, but he stated that he wasn't actually all that interested in seeing it, and would rather see something else instead. This idea was upheld by others as well.

The Fellowship was Broken.

...but many of us already DID have tickets, and a quick look at our watches informed us that the movie had probably already begun - and since there WERE a few first-time-initiates with us (I know Lindsay hadn't seen it yet), we wanted to get them in there. So we DASHED to the theater...

And walked in as Smeagol was holding up a worm.

We were pleased to find out it was just beginning - and on a VERY nice sized screen. But we were also a bit frazzelled to discover that the only seats left were in the First and Second rows.

Our crew quickly filled up the Front Row, leaving myself and Katie having to walk around the row of seats to take a set of two seats in the second row, separated from the rest of the crew.

I sat down, and looked up...and realized that I couldn't do this.

The last time I was forced to sit this close to the screen was a screening of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. As if having to physically move my head from left to right to take in all of the subtitles wasn't annoying enough, there was a man behind me who had brought his young kid - who apparantly couldn't read yet -, and proceeded to LOUDLY whisper-read every single line of text to his son. IT was a very lousy theater-going experience, but at least I really enjoyed the film.

But I hadn't seen that film before. I HAD seen Return of the King before (Twice), and the thought of sitting through nearly 4 hours in this position became unthinkable.

I turned to Katie, and suggested that we go see what else was showing. She agreed, and the theater once again got a view of a couple of costumed geeks hunching their way across the theater to make their exit.

So here we are ... in the theater ... in costume ... and we're not even going to see Return of the King.

Great.

I take my cloak The Hell Off, and wrap it around my plastic glow in the dark sword. Unfortunately for Katie, her costume was a little more elaborate, and de-geeking was not an option.

We wandered around the theater for a while, checking the times of all the films that would be starting soon. We made our way around the ENTIRE theater with out seeing anything that looked even slightly viable until we reached the final theater - and it was showing Lost in Translation, beginning in about 30 minutes.

Now, I had already seen LiT, and loved it, and had actually been itching to see it again. And Katie had never seen it, but had heard good things about. So We got ourselves stoked for it, and went in.

...and found that a few of our Fellowship that had been left without ROTK tickets had bought LiT tix instead, and were there chillin' in the seats: Noah, Olivia, Mark, Jamie, Ben, Jeremy, and Josh.

So we had a nice crew of Wenches and Wenchling to experience the movie with us. Cool.

Apart from us, there were only two other people in the theater - a young couple who was probably had thought that they'd be getting the theater all to themselves.

[Laugh]

But it would still be a while before the film started. I thought of sneaking back into ROTK to alert others of our unfortunately-seated crew that we would be viewing LiT, and to send out an invitation for them join us. So Katie and I took a walk back to the ROTK theater, where I went in myself (doing the crouch-and-walk again) and told the first of our crew I came to (One of thee guys and Lindsay) of our plan, and that they were welcome to join us, and to pass it on).

They were, however, already engrossed in the film, and weren't about to leave. I guess I can't really blame them. Especially Lindsay. For a girl to go the theater dressed up as Gimli (beard and all) to celebrate a movie she'd never seen before, only to LEAVE that movie when she got there would be kind of...well...pointless.

So I did the crouch-to-exit trick again, obtained Katie, informed her it was a no-go, and then returned to the LiT theater.

After the ads (one featured a restrospective on LOTR Trilogy Tuesday), commercials (one for a movie ticket pre-buy service - we all got a good laugh out of the irony of that one), and Trailers (there were some pretty good ones shown, thankfully) - the movie finally began. And I think my reaction to this movie can be summed up with a single emoticon:

[Blushing]

I enjoyed this movie even more the second time. Part of the fun was watching and listening to other's reactions. The gasping, the laughter, the sleeping (Noah) - it all enhanced the film experience entire for me.

And when it ended, most of our crew just SAT and relished the credits. This made me want to hug each and every one of them.

You can tell a lot about what someone thought of a movie - and to some extent people themselves - based on how quickly they try to leave the theater. For most films - and most people -, you'll see them bounce up the second the screen starts to Fade To Black, and head straight for the doors without looking back at the screen. I call these folk the 'Bounders'. Then there are those who wait for the first credit line to make sure that the film really is over before standing a couple moments, and slowly walk to the door. AKA, The 'Standers'. Then there are three varieties of people who stay through the entire run of credits. First you have the 'Clever', who are staying just in case there may be a hidden easter egg following the credits. You can usually spot them because they make a disgruntled noise (or perhaps swear) once the reel rolls out, and no additional footage was shown. Then they make for the door. Then come the "Yappers", the type who immediately after the credits come up, start out talking about the film in absolute terms ("Awesome!" "Sucked!"), before quickly changing the subject to something that has NOTHING to do with the movie, but continue to stand around and talk about that subject just as loudly.

And then come my favorite group - the Affected. These are those who sit in silence when the credits begin to roll, pondering what they just watched, knowing they were affected by it, and perhaps trying to figure out why. Or maybe tears had come on the way, and sitting still is the only way they can focus on fighting them without letting them just run free. It is only after several moments of silence that the Affected can sigh, and then turn to others to softly discuss what it was they had just been thinking about with others. Absolutes are rarely thrown around, and they all know that they just shared an amazing experience.

Now, not everyone will always react the same way for every movie they see. While one movie may leave you as an Affected, another may make you a Bounder or a Clever. Rarely, however, do the Affected and Yappers overlap.

This crowd was filled nearly entirely with Affected. And it was an exhilerating experience.

After the silence, we discussed many aspects of the film's ideas, themes, and concepts. It was the kind of conversation I'd love to have with people everytime I go to the movies.

I mean it. I'm spoiled now. Everytime I go to a movie, I'll wish Katie, Olivia, Jamie, Jeremy, Josh, Mark, Noah and Ben were there with me to discuss it immediately after. As a film enthusiast, you can't get much better than seeing a movie with these people.

And because this film was shorter than ROTK, and there was another of our group that I'd ALSO like to share a film-ending experience with, Katie, Josh and Myself quickly made our way to the ROTK theater, and walked in -- just as Sam was about to pick up Frodo, and quote my favorite line of the Saga.

We had arrived for the best parts of the movie.

So the three of us sat in the entry-aisle of the theater, and huddled against the wall, and, coming out of the shere honest and wonderful conversations we'd just had, let the movie just TAKE US.

The three of us shivered. We laughed. We smiled. Hell, there were moments where we giggled. I was Experiencing this film like I had never experienced it before. There was an energy - a charge that just filled me with electricity. This was pure cinema - I was a child again, experiencing the wonder of film with some friends who were experiencing the same exact thing I was. It was unbridled Joy.

I'll never forget it.

And as the First Fade To Black occured, there was an immediately noticeable Family of Bounders. They made their way over to stand right next to us in the walkway before they realized that the Movie Wasn't Over Yet.

My little Geek Jeesh giggled as we realized something that they didn't - they'd be standing for another 15 minutes. Serves them right for Bounding at this particular film.

And when the film finally ended, and the crowd began to disperse En Masse, I made it a point to sit down and watch all of the credits.

Mainly, because both times I'd seen the film before I'd been robbed of the experience. The first time, it was my own guilt that kept me from doing it. It had been the midnight show, and I was the last one in the theater. Almost EVERYONE had Bounded. And I was sure the projectionist was waiting on me to leave so he could shut down and go home...so I left. The second time, I was with my father, and he had just recieved a cell phone call informing him that the son of a member of the church had gone into a cardiac arrest and had been taken to the hospital - and now my father, as their Pastor, was being requested to attend to the family.

But now... nobody was going to stop me. I watched. I led applause for the Cast in their Illustrated Roll Call.

Sarah and a few others sang along to Into The West.

What topped it off as the perfect movie-going experience was upon leaving the theater, someone Not Of Our Fellowship approached Katie and myself with a question about the ending, because we, in his words, "Obviously Know A Lot About The Whole Thing"

We happily answered his question, and he left satisfied.

Then, after a little more lingering and informing a destressed Olivia that under no circumstances did we view the evening as a disaster (many of us affirmed that the night was even better than we had imagined it would be), we had one more question we needed to answer, because for us, the Night Was Still Young.

The question being, of course, "So...what do we do now?"

(TO BE CONTINUED...)

[ February 06, 2004, 07:32 PM: Message edited by: Taalcon ]

Zevlag
Member # 1405

I so relish this last experience, it was absolutely awesome. I will forever associate Lost in Translation with WenchCon, and good friends. Dave is right when he says we made it in for the best of ROTK, absolutely great.

These are some of my fondest memories of Wenchcon. LiT is movie that can only get better each viewing (3 now [Smile] ) especialy when associated with memories such as this.

katharina
Member # 827

*wriggles happily* This is my favorite installment and my favorite memory; you captured it completely.
quote:
What topped it off as the perfect movie-going experience was upon leaving the theater, someone Not Of Our Fellowship approached Katie and myself with a question about the ending, because we, in his words, "Obviously Know A Lot About The Whole Thing"

We happily answered his question, and he left satisfied.

This experience was fabulous. *happy*

[ February 06, 2004, 04:24 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Olivet
Member # 1104

Geez, I thought Jeremy was with US in LiT. Oy. [Confused]

I was between a sleeping Noah and a very sweetly Affected Mark. It was great, even though I nearly DIED during the etickets commercial. [Blushing] Then there was some giggling when one of the commercials said something about "the babe in the third row", and "no, Dude, that's a guy." 'cause we were in the third row of the upper section. I was already a laughingstock, so it was cool. [Big Grin]

Anyway, Dave's right. It was incredible to see a movie-- even if it wasn't the one we planned to see-- with such cool people. (Even though Noah was asleep before the opening credits, and I feared that Mark was shocked by the long, long opening shot of Scarlett Johanson's peachy behind. <giggles>

Great movie, though, and it is now out on DVD, BTW.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.