FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » mack probably has appendicitis, convince her to go to the e/r (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: mack probably has appendicitis, convince her to go to the e/r
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
As we all know, mack has Problems With Authority.

She also (you may not know) has a wicked bellyache. Wicked! So so so painful!

I told her to go to the e/r. (I forgot about the PWA until after I said it) Of course, she said NO!

I entreat the hatrackizens (hatrack denizens, or hatrack citizens, as preferred) to convince her to go to the emergency room. We are smart people. We should be able to convince her with out Authoritative Wording! It's too late for me to try, because I've already 'commanded' her to do something.

Alas!

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
Just for a belly ache? Why do you think it's appendicitis?
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
mack, go see a doctor, pronto.

Don't take your state's motto to heart that much!

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

Tres, because I overreact. *grin* Also because my Uncle had a pain similar to the one mack describes, and he ignored it, and his appendix burst.

Just sayin'.

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
Burst? Hmmm...
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

Bursted! Wide open! And his guts were EVERYWHERE!

Sorry, couldn't resist. Been hanging out with an imaginative five-year-old all day.

He was sick for a long time afterwards, infections. [Frown] Poor Uncle Tom.

sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Mack, I'd like to suggest seeing a doctor ASAP - ER if nothing else is available.

Catching appendicitis early is a good thing.

I know - cuz mine wasn't. Due to a variety of medical blunders, my bouts of chronic appendicitis weren't identified, and the final bout wasn't identified until the very last minute. My appendix burst on the way out.

That meant eight days in the hospital with an unclosed surgical incision while being pumped with heavy duty antibiotics intravenously. Recovery wasn't fun either.

Early is better. Just a suggestion. [Wink]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe she just ate a really big chili dog.
Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't pass up the chance to give a doctor the finger, go see one today.
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a wicked hot fever? Is the pain localized to (trying to visualize the man's scar) lower right abdomen? I think these are both symptoms.

Is it possible, Jexx, that you are sensitized by the situation with the tonsilectomy? (This is a low blow, but since Mack and I seldom agree, I figure it would be effective to take an anti-appendectomy stance).

[ January 23, 2004, 11:40 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

*I'm so senssssssssssiitiiiiiiiiiive*

*grin*

It's possible, pooka, you are right. But mack frustrates me when she won't go to the doctor, so I think it's our history (her and I) that sensitizes me to this, rather than The Boy's Traumatic Day. [Wink]

It wasn't a low blow, it was an honest question. *smile* Don't worry.

sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
pooka,

while the symptoms you mentioned are "textbook symptoms," you can have appendicitis with no localized pain and without major fever. Some of us had appendixes that never read the text book. The number of cases that depart from the textbook are pretty high, I understand.

In any case, severe prolonged pain in the abdomen could probably be caused by many different things - some serious and some not. Still not a bad idea to have things checked out.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say if it doesn't go away in a few hours, go see a doctor. Even if it isn't serious, they might have suggestions for making the pain go away.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starla*
Member # 5835

- posted      Profile for Starla*   Email Starla*         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, mack should really go.

My sister had a similar experience to sndrake's, except her's had been burst for about 5 days before they figured out what it was.

Her intestines got infected, along with one ovary, part of her uterus and colon. They also had to be pulled out because they started to heal together.

She spent 8 days in the hospital, 7 of those with a tube in her abdomen. She dropped from 128 to 99 pounds. It took her several months to fully recover, and she was only 16.

Two years later, she ended up in the hospital again from adhesions--this one obstructed her bowel. It was a complication from the appendix blowing and the surgery that followed. She spent 2 weeks in the hospital this time, and missed a month of college.

She should really go before something really bad happens.

Posts: 463 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a really bad bellyache (the pain woke me up) and I went to see the docs, and they made me wait. Then they probed lower right quadrant for tenderness and found none. It was just really bad gas, and other food digestion problems.
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Screw that, Mack.

You'd be stupid to go to the ER. Listen to me. You can suck it up like a good girl and do as I say!

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
Guys, Mack is tough. She can take a busted appendix without breathing hard.

See, you've got to validate people before you can tell them what to do. [Razz]

Now, Mack, go to the hospital before it kills you.

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I spent a very long unhappy night in the hospital once for what was suspected to be appendicitis.

I had localized pain and an elevated white count. No fever.

They put me in overnight, to monitor me with the assumption I would need to go to surgery in the morning. When morning came, they ran my white counts again and they were normal. Pain was much lessened. No surgery.

It was kidney stones. Eep! Once I got rid of them I felt much, much better.

My point - it may not be appendicitis, but it could be something else that the docs can help you with, like kidney stones in my case. If you don't want to go to the ER (and who does?) and you don't think it's that bad yet, go to a an urgent care center and at least let someone examine you and run your blood counts.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe she has one of those Alien varmints gestating in her chest.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

And it would be a pity to ruin that chest.... [Evil]
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Macc, egads! And mack, egads!

Take care of yourself, please. As a favor to us, even if you don't really have to. Be benevolent, grant us a boon.

[I don't mean the Boon, just a boon. Pretty please?]

[ January 24, 2004, 03:35 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
There's this great Gary Larson Far Side cartoon of a woman on the OR table and the surgeon pulling a giant porcupine out of her abdomen. Caption reads "Well that explains it!"

[ROFL]

Mack, take care of yourself. Go to the ER or make an appointment to see a doctor.

As others have mentioned, this could be lots of things, but it's better not to just wait it out when you have pain and you don't have a good proximal reason why (like a nasty blow to the stomach, bad sushi, or pregnancy for example).

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Maybe she's having an immaculate conception....
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Or in her case, maybe a slightly messy but mostly clean conception.
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Nice save.
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
OOOOOOOOOOOOW.

I went this morning. My white count was normal and no fever but the pain and tenderness was there.

So they sent me home and told me to come back when it got worse.

[Mad]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

Gah!

Come back when it gets WORSE?? You won't be able to drive if it gets worse!!

Thank you for going, mack, at least you saw someone about it. But I'm sorry they couldn't do anything for you.

((mack))

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
This might be the only time in my life when I WANT to throw up.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
mack,

Okay, speaking from the experience of having two kids who both had to have appendectomies, and the fact that I've worked on an ambulance (volunteer EMT) for ten years...

1) As someone else said here, you don't necessarily have fever with an appendicitis at first -- my son didn't until several hours after he was at the hospital. But you will have the localize tenderness. And if it is that, it SHOULD show a higher white count.

2) However, every single "grown" (not kid) patient that I ran in on the ambulance, that I THOUGHT had symptoms of appendicitis -- all turned out to be STONES -- kidney stones usually. You would think pain would have been in different area, but I think because patient was in so much pain they couldn't tell exactly where it hurt. Because these are very painful. Did they check you for that?

EDIT 3) And I should mention -- since you're female -- many times abdominal pain can be symptoms of: ovarian cysts; twisted ovaries, or endimetrioma I hope they checked all these possibilities.

Farmgirl

[ January 24, 2004, 05:36 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

It's localized.

They did an ultrasound to check the ovaries--everything is where it's supposed to be.

I have no idea if they checked the kidneys.

My head hurts. My right side hurts. I feel incredibly nauseated and flushed.

But no temp. Though it feels like I'll be vomiting soon.

*sigh*

aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Addition to EDIT 3) cuz posts in forums are read by more people than just the person addressed.
Ectopic pregnancy, etc can also produce abdominal pain.

[ January 24, 2004, 05:56 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Yes, I know.

However.

Stormy was right, a pregnacy WOULD be an immaculate conception. o_O

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
aspectre, thanks for mentioning that -- I really didn't even think of it. But you're right, that is also always a possibility in that context.

(just not in mack's case... [Wink] )

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Yes...that's right...Ben knocked me up. [Roll Eyes]
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
The info might come in handy someday for other readers.

As a RomanCatholic, you should have pointed out that ImmaculateConception refers to Mary being born free of the taint of OriginalSin, and not to parthenogenesis.

[ January 24, 2004, 06:13 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

Dang...I should've caught that too.
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
I have new wrinkles in my brain now.

I love Hatrack.

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

I'm a bit preoccupied right now. [Wink]

And the connotation with the vast majority of people is that it's pregnancy without sex, despite the theological denotation.

mackillian
Member # 586

Oh...temp is 99.1.
mackillian
Member # 586

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
aw, mack ... [Frown]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

oh! 99.4!

[Roll Eyes]

Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
99.4? That means your with child. Or you have kidney stones. You know, whatever.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
Or maybe it just means that mack is hawt! [Wink]
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

- posted      Profile for Trogdor the Burninator   Email Trogdor the Burninator         Edit/Delete Post 
**burninates mack to a toasty 104 degrees**

Will you go now?

Posts: 1481 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Mack, get to the hospital.

Tell them Bob said you needed to spend the night.

If they don't admit you, sleep in your car in the parking lot.

Chances are, you'll get towed (with your luck), but think of the great lawsuit you'd have going after your appendix bursts in the impound lot!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Thanks for the correction, Mr. Aspectre.
mackillian
Member # 586

I give up.

The invasive tests hurt (psychologically) more than the abdominal pain.

Still no real fever. Still a normal white count.

After they tried the last invasive test, I refused and went home.

I am NOT going back. [Mad]

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Arrggghhh..

Good luck! I hope you feel better soon.

Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] Poor Mack, we all hope she gets better.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.