FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "...pre-marital abstinence is the behavior of responsible adults. . . " (Page 9)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: "...pre-marital abstinence is the behavior of responsible adults. . . "
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I see a big difference between stripping and prostitution - not sure if that's just me though.

(And of course, I ban my boyfriend from buck's nights which involve either!)

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
*points to Jon Boy* In your face, Space Coyote!
Space Coyote? [Confused]

Of course some people want to have sex with someone before they marry them. I never disputed that. The original question was whether premarital sex is necessary or helpful in any way. No matter how much people picked at the statistics I linked to, nobody has provided links to studies or statistics that show the opposite.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
Shrug. As a woman, I could decide that I wanted sex, and have sex in the next couple days. Force of will, you might call it. It's true, it happens. Women can choose sex.

My male friends, on the other hand, have a lot less say in determining they're "going to have sex now." Instead, they exchange money for favors (strippers, prostitutes). You could say that the Man benefits because the woman is being "used." But these people believe they have a right to their career choice.

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't it funny what pushes buttons?

The whole idea of prostitution being treated as a high-paying career choice when it's instead most often practiced by abused, addicted teenagers who feel they have no hope is upsetting me more than anything in weeks (months?). Imogen knows what she's talking about - I'll defer to her.

[ February 03, 2004, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"No matter how much people picked at the statistics I linked to, nobody has provided links to studies or statistics that show the opposite."

I think this is because it's actually impossible to control for other relevant factors that are not measured by the studies. It's like that classic "cohabitation makes people more likely to divorce" study, which completely ignores some very relevant data en route to its flimsy conclusion.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry it is upsetting kat. Just there is a vast difference between the two ends of the spectrum. I am as anti-teenage prostitution in general as you are. Most of the girls who worked for Heidi Fleiss for example were on the other extreme in education from the down and out types.

I just wonder if legalization and regulation would be a way to prevent some of the vulnerable girls from being taken advantage of.

On the other hand those who are vulnerable are probably always going to be taken advantage of in some way, but some we just inherently view as more dispicable than others.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Jon Boy, I love you (platonically, of course) and I would never, ever dream of correcting you on a grammar issue. Can't you at least try to respect my mathematically educated assesment of that particular websites statistics?!

Ask Mackillian what a rigorous sociological study paper looks like. I'm sure she can give you some good examples of what a scientific treatment of a sociological subject is.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Kat. [Smile]

Suneun: I'm too tired right now to respond properly. But the whole "I'm a woman so I can ask for sex" is very indicative of the social norms that cause the degredation of prostitution in the first place.

Why shouldn't men and women be treated as equal sexually? Why shouldn't it be equally easy for a man to have sex as a woman (whether inside or out of marriage, depending on your view... and it is still an issue inside some marriages!)? Why are men always seen as "wanting it" and women are not?

Basically men are seen as sexual beings, who can demand sex as a matter of course. You can see that in marital rape laws: up until 30 years ago, (much less in some states) it was not a crime to rape your wife: she 'owed' the sexual duty to her husband. Women who decide to have sex bestow a 'favour', not demand a right.

In prostitution, women are denied a choice through their personal background (many are abused), their socio/economic backgrounds (drug dependancy, as Kat pointed out) and finally by society: sexual relations are seen in a light where it is "ok" for a woman to sell herself to a man: it is naturalised, because that man has 'needs' he doesn't get fulfilled elsewhere. Sex is a commodity, and women are firmly on the selling end.

[ February 03, 2004, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: imogen ]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Jon Boy, I think I put out some reasonable criticisms of the conclusions drawn from the data. If any of us had access to that data, we could see if your conclusion or my conclusion is correct, or, more likely, what mixture of rightness each of our conclusions have. What you are doing is accepting the data and the conclusion given based on someone's interpretation of the data, and making it as though you have to do both. I accept the data as likely valid, but the conclusions drawn I don't see as compelling, without more proof that they controlled against other possibilities, or even then, as Banna pointed out, that the variation is actually statistically significant.

After all, there are wonderful stats out there that say uncircumcised men have a 50%!!! higher chance of urinary infection before the age of 2 than circumcised men. What isn't mentioned is that the chance for circumcised men is 1-2%, which means uncircumcised men's chances are 2-3%. In this context, the 50% looks a less impressive.

All that said, your conclusion is certainly possible, given the data. It isn't the only conclusion possible though, I hope you'd agree?

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

AJ, I know what a scientific study looks like. I know that without the margin or error values, it's impossible to know how valuable those numbers are. I'm just saying that nobody has found anything better.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

JB, I honestly didn't think of trying to find "studies" to refute yours. Part of the problem is that when you do searches that you find so much bogus crap on both sides that trying to actually glean to find the rigorous ones is an extremely daunting task. Also then we get into a war of "studies" which isn't profitable.

AJ

dangermom
Member # 1676

- posted      Profile for dangermom   Email dangermom         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, even in countries where prostitution is legal and regulated, it is done in large part by poor women from wrecked countries who are abused and exploited. Sexual slavery is alive and well in the Netherlands and Denmark.

There is a professor here in my town who studies sex slavery (and has a very hard time doing so, due to the gangs and whatnot). If anyone is interested, I can try to find some of her work.

Posts: 335 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Actually haven't gotten into it too far, but this appears to be a reasonably legit study that is covering all the arguments we've seen here.

http://www.iue.it/Personal/Dronkers/Divorce/Niephaus.pdf
quote:
A sum of analysis is done about the question on the influence of premarital
cohabitation on the stability of a following marriage of the cohabiting couple.
Common result of the work done in the last 25 years is that a relationship between
cohabitation and marital stability exists. Estonishing enough, relationships in both
directions are presented. On the one hand the data show that premarital cohabitation
weakens a following marriage, that means the divorce risk is positively influenced by
the premarital cohabition (Bentler and Newcomb 1978; Watson 1983; Bennett, Blanc
and Bloom 1988; Thomson and Colella 1992). This seems to be the case in
Germany, too (Brüderl, Diekmann and Engelhardt 1997). On the other hand
premarital cohabitation seems to decrease the divorce risk of a following marriage,
the divorce risk is negatively influenced by premarital cohabitation (White 1987;
Klijzing 1992).

2.1 Kinds-of-people-hypothesis
A positive influence of premarital cohabitation on the divorce risk of a following
marriage confirms “that those who cohabit are a select group of people for whom
relationships in general – both nonmarital and marital – are characterized by a lack of
commitment and stability (Bennett, Blanc and Bloom 1988: 128). This is the general
argument underlaying the “kinds-of-people-hypothesis”.

Suneun
Member # 3247

The safety and rights of sex workers should be upheld. For some people, the solution is to ban sex work (or at least, prostitution). For others, the solution is to increase the effectiveness of labor laws, abuse laws, and drug laws.

None of us want to see people abused. It's just that we have different solutions. I want to allow people the right to accept money for sex, just like I accept money for a circus performance*. I see nothing inherently wrong with that exchange. I definitely see a lot of problems with abuse and drugs in that industry. But making it illegal hasn't made all the problems go away in the US.

* Performing is dangerous, though different emotionally. Every time I perform, I run the risk of serious injury in exchange for cash. You may not see the two as equivalent, but many sex workers would.

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

After getting to the bottom and looking at the numbers the statistics appear to be rigorous.

Yes, it is talking about Germany and not here, but the data is much better than any US generated data I have seen to date.

They ran two models. The second one takes into years spent searching for the partner and how long they have known the person.

quote:
After changing the operationalization of the variables indicating societal change,
years spend to search a partner and the possibility to achieve knowledge about the
partner (model 2) premarital cohabitation has no longer a meaningful and significant
effect on the divorce risk of a following marriage.

Model 1 which does not take those variables into account, only has a 30% increase in failure of the marriage, which isn't nearly high as projected in other studies. Model two says there is a 3% difference which isn't statistcally significant.

AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Sunenun... anyone who can actualy walk in stiletto heels much less dance has a definite talent I don't have!

AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Here's one on cohabitation divorce and mothering from the U. of Wisconsin.
http://www.ssc.wisc.edu/cde/nsfhwp/nsfh80.pdf

Abstract
quote:
We use data from two waves of the National Survey of Families and Households to
investigate changes in mothering behavior associated with union formation among single mothers.
We consider three dimensions of mothering: (1) time and supervision; (2) discipline and decisionmaking;
and (3) relationship quality. Our major finding is that union formation and/or the
disruption of new unions have very few effects on mothering. Mothers’ and children’s reports
sometimes produce different results, but the patterns do not suggest that children’s reports are
any more or less accurate than those of mothers. The most consistent effects of union change
indicate that the presence of a partner reduces mothers’ time with children but also inhibits
mothers’ harsh discipline.

katharina
Member # 827

*shakes head*

I can't believe y'all are defending prostitution as a nuetral and/or positive career choice.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

I think it's not that hard when I've read articles by prostitutes defending their career choice.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

AJ, the point of the study I cited wasn't that cohabitation leads to divorce, but that premarital sex—especially when there are multiple partners—leads to lower sexual pleasure and satisfaction. My point in citing that study was that Storm's original claim about premarital sex could be wrong.
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Sun: I can direct you to a couple R&B stations where thugs and criminals defend their "careers" too.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Sun: What do YOU think? Do YOU consider it a neutral and/or positive career choice?
Suneun
Member # 3247

Yes, I agree with them. Prostitution can be a neutral, or even positive job. There are abuses, but just as there are abuses in many criminalized areas of society today. There are abuses just like there are in homes where alcohol is abused. Alcohol is not the issue, abuse is the issue.
katharina
Member # 827

Is there any job you would consider damaging to the person holding it?
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Fast food work. Definitely.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

*ties Tom's shoelaces together* Why is that, Tom?

------

Anything?

Suneun
Member # 3247

Any job CAN be damaging. But I believe that there are people who can make those decisions without being called a criminal.

Being a pediatric oncologist must be one of the most rewarding and emotionally scarring specialties in medicine. I don't think I'm emotionally capable of doing it.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

Because any job that turns the individual into a commodity -- and I include prostitution and most menial labor in this category -- disassociates that person from his sense of self and from his connection with the larger community. I think we see this with media celebrities, too, unless they consciously take steps to avoid it.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

JB, I'm looking for sexual satisfaction stats. I
'm mostly putting up sites that appear to have rigorous mathematical treatments of data, in the mean time.

AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Tom so would you include "tech support" in that discription?

AJ

katharina
Member # 827

Sun: *shrug* You're convinced. I think you need to either (1) rethink this, or (2) actually work with some prostitutes before spreading that around.

--------

Tom: Up until a hundred years or so ago, acting was seen as being synonymous with prostitution. I think... the superbowl bit makes that make a bit more sense.

Although I don't agree about the fast food. The laborors are indeed interchangable and their hands are needed, not their personal input, but what is being sold is still the quickly-made food.

Unless you consider all service industries to be forms of prostitution.

Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Because any job that turns the individual into a commodity -- and I include prostitution and most menial labor in this category -- disassociates that person from his sense of self and from his connection with the larger community.
Uh, the vast majority of jobs fit this description.
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Nine pages about whether or not pre-marital sex is good for your marriage. [Confused]
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I think i'd give this thread a little more credit than that. It's jumped around a good few hot topics and has remained relatively civil the whole time as well. And has covered much more than the thread title suggests.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Edit: Whoops! I was responding to PSI.]

Not really. 4-5 pages on the actual topic at hand; 1-2 pages of personal attacks and reactions to same; 2-3 pages of tangentially (or not so tangentially) related topics.

Yup, definitely a Hatrack thread. [Wink]

[ February 03, 2004, 02:05 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
imogen said:
quote:
Why shouldn't it be equally easy for a man to have sex as a woman (whether inside or out of marriage, depending on your view... and it is still an issue inside some marriages!)? Why are men always seen as "wanting it" and women are not?

Well, because we can always have it. Kinda like having a pool table in your basement, and you never play it much because now that you know it is always there, always available, there isn't the same draw.

I could easily think of two men right off the top of my head that I could call at ANY time (maybe during lunch hour today! [Wink] ) and say "let's go have sex" and they would be at my side in seconds. I mean really! So since it is so easily obtainable for women, I think that is why the public perception is such that men are always seen as the panting dog wanting it, and women are not. Now, this has nothing to do with sexual drive -- some women have a higher sexual drive -- it is just that they can more easily fulfill it.

It is interesing that this conversation took a turn from the original idea to this one on prostitution -- it has made for interesting reading. However, remember there are many ways that women have been known to prostitute themselves than just those who walk the street for money. Some use sex as a tool (manipulation).
That's an entirely different kind of prostitution.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Farmgirl, you are totally the woman for saying that. Have I mentioned what a great addition to the forum you are?
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I could easily think of two men right off the top of my head that I could call at ANY time (maybe during lunch hour today! ) and say "let's go have sex" and they would be at my side in seconds. I mean really! So since it is so easily obtainable for women, I think that is why the public perception is such that men are always seen as the panting dog wanting it, and women are not.
Isn't this circular though? Men are after sex more because it is easier for women to get sex, but it is easier for women to get sex because men are always after it?
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

Kat, I think it's cute that you find my opinion absolutely wrong.

This resource list is absolutely full of people who believe in protecting women in the sex industry by seeing the actual abuse, not the vocation as the problem.

Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Isn't this circular though? Men are after sex more because it is easier for women to get sex, but it is easier for women to get sex because men are always after it?
Agreed. There is something else going on here.

imogen: Do you really think these gender differences are entirely cultural? Or even primarily cultural? Or do you advocate creating a culture that represses any hint of the natural differences between women and men?

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

"It's not the job, it's the exploitation, drugs, abuse, and degradation that go with it."
Suneun
Member # 3247

And well gosh, kat, I still think the best way of reducing that abuse is by legalization and some form of safeties set by the government. Have you checked any of the dozens of links on that resource page?
katharina
Member # 827

Suneum, would you do it?

$200 - $300 bucks a night, maybe four nights a week, lots of condoms, regular checkups, a 401k, free stylists?

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
You forgot about the feeling that everyone loves you!
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
kat, that's not a fair question. there are lots of jobs i wouldn't do reguardless of whether i though they should exist.
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

Kat, leave me out of this. And please spell my handle correctly (you, too, Banna).

Have you gone to the link? I have, and am working my way through dozens of different groups working to support sex workers and their rights. I just read a testimonial from a woman who survived the Khmer Rouge but now works as a sex worker and sees mountains of abuse. From the pimps, from the clients, from the police. Criminalization is not the answer. Here is what she suggests is the answer:

quote:
Formulation of legislation that protects us sex workers, so we can profit 100% from our work.

Formulate legislation that those who exploit us and feed from us are eliminated and arrested, and cannot operate.

Recognition of our work as a legitimate occupation: sex work is work.

End to police harassment, abuse and violence.

Human rights for sex workers.

Legalize sex work so we can have power to protect ourselves and use condoms 100% of the time.

Legalizing sex work will minimize trafficking because people can no longer profit from the sex industry.

If we have power and control we can protect the young children who are brought to the brothels. We can help in the fight to protect the children.

katharina
Member # 827

Why leave you out of this? I'm asking for your opinion. You've said you see it as a postive choice of a career if the conditions are controlled.

Do you see it as a positive choice, or do you see it as a positive choice for other people, one that you would never, of course, choose for yourself.

[ February 03, 2004, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Suneun
Member # 3247

Well Kat, what would this accomplish? Lets say...

1. I say that yes, I could consider accepting cash for sex or sexual favors. Suddenly, you have to pray for my soul and convince me of the depths of my immorality.

2. I say that no, I consider it something I could never do, just as I said I could never become a pediatric oncologist. Suddenly I'm not good enough to work to protect sex workers' rights because I'm not a sex worker.

I've asked you twice, and now a third time. Have you started to read the resources on the page I linked to, which list dozens of groups working for prostitutes' rights and health? Along with thousands (if not millions) of people, I believe that decriminalization is one step in making their lives safer.

Suneun
Member # 3247

If either answer would only leave you feeling triumphant and self-righteous, then I ask why you ask that question. I find it a very personal one, and certainly not one I'm willing to discuss with Hatrack.
katharina
Member # 827

Right. You're advocating a career and a lifestyle for other people that you refuse to claim as a possibility for yourself. And yeah, if you think it's great for other people but refuse for yourself, I'd love to hear the reasons.

It's your credibility at stake. I think your theory has no connection to actual reality, and if it ever did, you would quickly change your mind.

So, you say it's a positive career choice. Would you do it?

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.