FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Superbowl Halftime -- did I see what I think I saw (Page 0)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Superbowl Halftime -- did I see what I think I saw
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Where does it say that the bra tore? I see where it says that the top layer was meant to tear-away.

Either way, it looks as if I'll have to perform some experiments.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
I am afraid we are all asking the wrong questions here. The question we SHOULD be asking is:

Where did Janet get that cool metal sun pastie and where can I buy them?

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it was a pasty, Alucard.... I think it was a piercing.

Still interested?

[Big Grin]

Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh] Alucard

If you look at it closely, it looks more to me like some sort of nipple ring (or clamp) than a pastie

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The ones I had, had a plastic clasp that could pop loose with a shrug of the shoulders the right way.
I had one come loose in the middle of an interview once.

That was awkward. I don't think it was noticed, though.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

But the real question is did you get the job?

[Wink]

AJ

[ February 03, 2004, 11:02 AM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
*grin* I had a strap break during an audition for a high school play. All of the sudden I was, um, lopsided.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Frisco -- it doesn't specifically say the bra tore -- what it says was that he was supposed to pull off the outer black "bustier" to reveal the bra. Obviously since we revealed much MORE than the bra, then the bra came off too (check out those Drudge photos again - he has both black AND red cloth in his hand.))

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I've checked them out. I'm just saying that it could've been a front-clasper, which were discussing in juicy detail right now.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Farmgirl the drudge report seem to have taken down that "after" picture that was on the right, where the piece of cloth was in his hand.

AJ

Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
And now the big question...

Looking at all of this discussion and how much air-time is being devoted to it on TV and radio, did they get the publicity that this stunt was intended to garner?

I think they did and it's just a sadly successful media stunt.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
But the real question is did you get the job?
Yes. Yes, I did. At the end of the interview.

Hey.... [Eek!] [Grumble]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

[Evil] [Evil Laugh]

AJ

porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
you dont have to get pierced to wear something like that.
just use your noggin and do a web search.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
and a front clasp bra cup won't tear off any easier than a back clasp, geez.
not unless it was a fruit roll up instead of fiber!

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

porce I think we've established that while some front clasp bras are possibly prone to "popping loose", the difference between that and actually tearing fabric are drastic

AJ

zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I might have to go home for lunch today.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
porcelain girl -- the closeups show it is a piercing.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

[Laugh] zgator! [ROFL]

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
Nipple piercings . . . Owie. No thanks.

*crosses arms protectively over chest*

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
And I think the best way to deal with such stunts is to mock them. These people deserve to be deflated by mockery.
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say that I find it really interesting that so many people find the Superbowl - and football in general - to be "family friendly". As far as I can see, it is an awfully violent sport that doesn't have much of a problem with injuring (sometimes seriously) an opponent to prevent them from reaching their goal. I don't find that to be "family friendly" at all.

Then again, I don't approve of all the whoop surrounding the game, that tries to promote the idea that anyone who doesn't get excited about the Superbowl is unAmerican. The Superbowl has very little to do with sport, and everything to do with advertising and making millions, if not billions of dollars for huge corporations.

Just my opinion.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I had one of those front clasps. It always opened when I lay down on my side. I never noticed it until it was too late. After church on Sundays I'd go to my friend's house (Now he's my husband! [Blushing] [Eek!] ) and I'd lay on the couch and watch TV. Like three hours later I'd look down and... No wonder his parents thought I was easy.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

There's a rumor Jackson and Timberlake will be banned from the Grammys.

I doubt it, but I would LOVE that. [Smile]

Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
not unless it was a fruit roll up instead of fiber!
It very well may have been.

And MTV itself has been banned from the halftime. They are no longer allowed to have anything to do with it.

Rhaegar

Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frameshifter
Member # 2967

- posted      Profile for Frameshifter           Edit/Delete Post 
In defense of football: If it was as boring as golf or baseball, no one would watch it. Hockey is more violent. Football is nearly perfect for tv; Short bouts of intense activity, followed by a break, perfect for tv. But then again I suppose we could all be watching carebears or my little pony,
Posts: 87 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
You want to show your little pony on TV? [Eek!]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In defense of football: If it was as boring as golf or baseball, no one would watch it. Hockey is more violent. Football is nearly perfect for tv; Short bouts of intense activity, followed by a break, perfect for tv. But then again I suppose we could all be watching carebears or my little pony,
Baseball is not either boring. [Wink] [Razz] And, at least they don't play baseball in subfreezing temperatures in the driving snow. I never have understood what that is all about.

And, yes, hockey probably is more violent; then again, hockey players get to carry weapons. I don't go to hockey games or watch them, either.

Oh, and those short bouts of activity followed by a break: sure it's perfect - for the advertisers. It just should not take three and half or four hours to play a football game. It never used to.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

it may have been a piercing in janet's case (and i knew she had her right nipple pierced) but there are similar pieces of jewelry available that require no piercing.

just so inquiring minds know.

katharina
Member # 827

JANET apologizes.

So, Timberlake strips a woman onstage as part of a staged against-her-will action, and crows about living every man's dream.

Janet Jackson apologizes repeatedly and takes full responsibility.

Freaking double standard.

Frameshifter
Member # 2967

- posted      Profile for Frameshifter           Edit/Delete Post 
It (as always) is about the money. Football did not used to be played so long into the winter, as the season used to contain fewer games.

Ad are a necessary evil (there are way around the advertising (ala HBO), however I am certain accusations of elitism would soon follow), the nature of football makes the ads less disruptive.

This whole argument in moot, boxing and hockey are much more violent then football (I admit the violence is part of the appeal), and none of these sports are going away. I also noticed you did not contest my claims about golf.

Posts: 87 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Well people do watch golf (an activity about which I have mixed feelings) because otherwise they wouldn't put it on tv.

Or are they just watching because Tiger Woods is hot?

Aj

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I KNEW it was purposeful...

[Grumble]

...so angry...

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
This has to be the biggest mountain made out of the most inconsequential mole hill I've ever seen. 'Kicked out of the Grammy's'...good grief.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Why is that extreme?

They abused their appearance on one public event on that network. I think banning them from appearing on the next one is a marvelously fitting penalty.

littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

quote:
I also noticed you did not contest my claims about golf.
Of course not. As far as I'm concerned, golf is the best way I can think of to ruin a perfectly good walk. (I really wish that was an original observation, but I'm sure it isn't.) Also, golf really is as much a game of chance as it is a game of skill. No one will ever be able to convince me that getting a hole in one is a matter of developing a skill; it is purely a matter of luck.

And Storm Saxon..."mountain out of molehill" indeed. [Big Grin] Besides being a pretty darn good (and quite appropriate) pun, that was my whole point in the first place. You just put it so much more succinctly than I managed to do.

Now, personally, I couldn't care less if either of those two are on the Grammy awards. I don't think either of them has all that much talent, other than a demonstrated ability to show off. But banning them from the Grammys just makes me nervous. Even running the show with a few seconds tape delay smacks of punishing everyone for the stupidity, on one occasion, of two individuals.

Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
The question is - Is it really such a big deal?!?!

I mean honestly - look down next time you're in the shower. That's right, you'll see a couple of nipples. Maybe even three.

I really don't understand why it's still front-page news and why there was such an uproard in the first-place.

This American hyper-sensitivity to anything remotely sexual is getting utterly out of hand.

Not that you could even consider this particular instance to be even vaugely sexual in nature.

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

A man ripped off a woman's top after bumping and grinding.

It may not have been sexy, but it was definitely sexual.

Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
The dancing was, the song was - the exposure by itself wasn't. All sexuality stopped once the "boob" occured.
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
And now ER, in direct response to the Janet Jackson nipple of doom, has cut a scene from one of their shows where a woman showed a nipple in the context of something or other.

Survivor blurs out whatsisname's penis and/or various other people when their clothes have been removed.

Neither of the above is anything like sexual, so it has nothing to do about sex, or eroticism.

What is it about? Who knows.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah so I'm crazy-outer-space--but so what, television is still television, wether it's on a rocket ship or in a living. I watched the evening of the most celebrated televonic american world event.

I was disgusted. grossed out to the max.

not by a boobie, I have no fear of boobies. Boobies have always been very kind to me.

i was puked out by the television commercials, an old dude beats up an old woman for a bag of chips, penis grow commercials, dick eating dogs, and anti high commercials directly followed by a guy driving a 60 thou car seeing the world like he's high. Talking monkeys.

if you piled up all the commercials you would have a direct sum of the pure morality of the heart of american capitalism.

does anyone remember the super bowl commercials from the dot boom?

el sicko.

the NFL has had a player SHOOT and kill his pregnant wife gangland style, and do they issue an apology?

nope.

Justin shows America a titty and what happens?

A formal nfl commision is formed to look into it along with a goofy sincere apology.

Trent Lott goes on TV with moral outrage over this detonated weapon of mass social mind destruction, he also calls for a comission to look into stricter laws for tv.

don't take drugs take drugs

war is peace
freedom is slavery
coke is pepsi

your government loves you
you need your corporation
eat teeth

boobies are high in moral carbohydrates

<T>

boobies are also soft and smooth

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mankind
Member # 2672

- posted      Profile for Mankind   Email Mankind         Edit/Delete Post 
::Starts righting down names of everyone in the thread whose wives and daughters he can publicly rip shirts off of, because they'll think its no big deal, compared with real problems like America's hypersensitivity to sexuality and evil talking monkeys::
Posts: 75 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
*starts writing down name of person who wants to go to jail for assault unless he gets permission first like was had at the Super Bowl*
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for jack           Edit/Delete Post 
lma, it was Mark Twain. "Golf is a good walk spoiled."
Posts: 171 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Thor's right about a lot of things. It's all symptomatic of a sick society. Where are things like friendship, kindness, and play? Why is it all about sex and drugs and hurting? Why is so much of our "entertainment" and fantasy about hurting? There is no heroism in ripping off a woman's clothes, no honor in fighting over a beer.

Wouldn't it be refreshing to have a product marketed as something "So Good You WANT to Share"?

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Yes, Thor posted a Thor post!!!!

If a little on the short side, it's been missing from this place for quite a while.

AJ

littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

quote:
lma, it was Mark Twain. "Golf is a good walk spoiled."
I'm glad I'm in good company, at least. [Smile] I mean, if you're going to steal a line, why not steal from the best, eh?

I notice that this whole stupid episode has brought out an old chestnut from McCarthyism - guilt by association. Now, another member of N'Sync has been disinvited from performing in the half-time show at the Pro Bowl, for no good reason that I can think of (other than lack of talent, but that's just my opinion). This is exactly why I have been worried about all of the over-reaction to the Incident. This, and things like the censorship of last night's "ER" episode (or at least proposed censorship; I didn't watch it, so I don't know if this ever came about or not). As someone else said, this is hypersensitivity taken to it's ridiculous extreme.

Just my opinion.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

quote:
Now, another member of N'Sync has been disinvited from performing in the half-time show at the Pro Bowl, for no good reason that I can think of
News reports say it is because the lyrics of the song he is going to perform include the words "horny" and "naughty". But that seems pretty tame compared to a lot else we hear..

I think the uproar isn't so much the action, but the context of the SuperBowl. If people want to get nasty on TV shows - - a parent can simply forbid the kids watch that show, or turn it off.

It was just that most parents didn't expect it at the superbowl, so weren't prepared, I guess. That's what I'm hearing anyway.

Farmgirl

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Was watching a thing on the first superbowl last night. They showed the halftime show.

I'd love to see haftime shows go back to that.

Especially the guys in the flying rocket suits.

AJ

katharina
Member # 827

Flying rocket suits...? picture?
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.