FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Cartoons I love

Author Topic: Cartoons I love
Yebor1
Member # 1380

- posted      Profile for Yebor1   Email Yebor1         Edit/Delete Post 
My four year old nephew is a major spongebob fan,

In the course of babysitting him I have been introduced to the shows he watches.

Spongebob is good

Fairly Odd Parents has to be one of the best new cartoons I have seen in a while.

Not only is it whitty and adult smart, but it also teaches a lesson with every episode.

Now lets get to the real meat of this topic.

Shows on the caretoon network that I will sit down and watch regularly.

Dexter's Laboritory
Power Puff Girls....i had no inclination to watch them and it wasn't untill I accidently caught an episode where the professor wants to spend more time with them so he turns himself into a superhero also. Great stuff

Ruoni Kenshin i know I misspelled that one
Tri-Gun
Copwboy Be-Bop

Things I miss I wish they would bring to the cartoon network or bring back to the cartoon network

Two stupid Dogs first and foremost
Battle of the Planets
Animaniacs

[Hat]

Posts: 1661 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arya
Member # 6160

- posted      Profile for Arya   Email Arya         Edit/Delete Post 
I find Spongebob to be quite annoying... A dim-witted guy friend of mine absolutely loves it- no comment necessary.

I'm a Scooby Doo fan... always up for the drugs, munchies, and ghost mysteries! (Well... maybe not the drugs and munchies =P)

Posts: 68 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arya
Member # 6160

- posted      Profile for Arya   Email Arya         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooo! Almost forgot! Animaniacs is cool too!
Posts: 68 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
The greatest cartoons of all time were the Warner Brothers' Looney Tunes cartoons from their heyday of the 1940's to 1950's. So many of them exhibit pure genius that has never been matched. At some point, I believe it was in the 1960's, their quality abruptly went downhill. Unfortunately, when you watch an hour or half-hour of Looney Tunes, you never know which ones you're going to get.

WB cartoons experienced an amazing, though limited, renaissance with Animaniacs. The quality was spotty, but often brilliant.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
a few off the top of my head from work:

freakazoid. hooray for red pajamas.
earthworm jim. this wasn't out as long, but i liked it.
the tick. a fun assortment of disfunctional superheroes and sub par villians. honk if you love justice!
i really liked trigun and powerpuff girls, as well.
i miss two angry beavers from nickelodeon.
i also like spongebob, it's a random show, but the random just seems to make sense.

i absolutely love home movies from adult swim.
the best show on the whole lineup, incredibly underrated, the best writing ever.
most of it sounds ad-lib, and i hope that it is - that would only add to the genius.
brendon small is almost an exact duplicate of my friend ezra back in virginia. same voice, same fascination with film.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Spongebob and Animaniacs are easily the two best cartoons from the last decade.

As for Dexter's Lab, my email is named after my favorite episode.

I just don't get Japanese animation.

The Adult Swim comedy lineup is probably the best couple of hours on TV nowadays.

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Three words: Rocky and Bullwinkle.

I still watch them in the mornings sometimes (one of our local channels shows them at 8:30 a.m. weekdays, bless them).

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
i forgot to mention that jason is my hero.
we only have eachother; and food.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

- posted      Profile for Anti-Chris           Edit/Delete Post 
The Tick will always, always hold a place in my heart.

Right next to Animaniacs.

And I agree with you on the Fairly Odd Parents. Great material.

Posts: 530 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Of course there's all the brilliant ones: The original Looney Toons, Tiny Toons, the really old and really good Tom and Jerry, Animaniacs....

Then there's the not so brilliant but almost: The Tick, Histeria, Freakazoid, Dexter's Laboratory...

I love all of those. I also love the REALLY stupid, including Spongebob, Jonny Bravo, PowerPuff girls (who is funnier than Mojo Jojo???), Doug, etc.

But my favorite at the moment is Angry Beavers. I just LOVE that cartoon!!!

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't really cared much about cartoons in years, though I will watch them from time to time. Since I was seven or eight, I always preferred the superhero cartoons like Spiderman, which were at least quasi-realistic (compared to something like the Smurfs or Powerpuff Girls). Currently, I will watch X-Men:Evolution or Justice League if I happen to notice they're on. I haven't seen an episode of Teen Titans yet, but it has a cheesy look.
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

Teen Titans is stupid.

Does anybody else like Samurai Jack? I didn't think I'd like it, since it tries so hard to mimic Japanimation, but I saw the first episode because it was made by the same guy who made Dexter's Lab and the Powerpuff Girls. I think it's pretty good. I still like Dexter's Lab and the Powerpuff Girls more, but I like my cartoons to have more humor than action.

[ February 03, 2004, 01:37 AM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Koga
Member # 5646

- posted      Profile for Koga   Email Koga         Edit/Delete Post 
Samurai Jack is pretty good, and that all I will say for now, nameing my favorite cartoons can take a very long time, I really like cartoons. [Big Grin]

Oh and Teen Titans is pretty stupid, it has a couple decent parts per episode, but they only last a few frames and then get kind of burried in the weird plots, and ridiculus and annoying "I wish I were anime" moments.

Posts: 733 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mintieman
Member # 4620

- posted      Profile for Mintieman   Email Mintieman         Edit/Delete Post 
Invader Zim is brilliant!

As for anime, Trigun & Cowboy Bebop are hard to beat [Smile]

Posts: 122 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

oh my gosh, i don't believe i forgot Batman, the animated series.
that was one of the best shows on television, period.
animated or live action.
awesome writing, nice design, really well done.
i need all of it on dvd.

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmmm.. Transformers, Mighty Orbots, Spartakus and the Sun Beneath the Sea, Cities of Gold, War of the Humanoids....
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Samuri Jack can be incredible. Where else do they tell so much story with so few words. I swear you can count the words in most episodes using your fingers.

My wife doesn't understand why I like Fairly Odd Parents. Lets hear it for the Crimson Chin.

Teen Titans falls into that show that doesn't know if it wants to be for kids or for adults, so succeeds at neither.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
Teen Titans is a good idea, but has the wrong execution. Ironically, the show is about as awkward as teens tend to be. I think at some point it has the potential to become good, like Reboot did after it's first season - but more likely it will just get worse.

X-men Evolution is another good idea, bad execution - but I think it's getting much better.

The following cartoons are my all-time favorites: Simpsons (of course!), Southpark, Family Guy, Futurama, Batman, X-men (original Fox series), Dragonball Z (the early seasons), Neon Genesis Evangelion (not really shown on American TV though), the old Ninja Turtles, and of course The Mysterious Cities of Gold.

Well... also the Care Bears. [Wink]

As for current cartoons:

Power Puff Girls is good.
Recess is very creative.
Samurai is one of the coolest cartoons out there, but I must confess that it kinda gets old. It needs more complexity now as it goes on.

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Samurai Jack is great! The best is the one where he first meets the Scot. I get a huge kick out of the blabbering hog. I dunno why, but he totally reminds me of "Boss Hog" on The Dukes of Hazard.

Fairly Odd Parents is da best! I don't care for the Crimson Chin much, those jokes get old. But that is one of the funniest cartoon series I've ever seen.

I don't appreciate Spongebob as much as I used to, maybe I am sick of it being so dang popular.

Dexter's Lab and Powerpuff Girls are both awesome, and for some reaason I get a big kick out of Courage, the Cowardly Dog.

As for anime, anyone familiar with Juuni Kokki? I absolutely LOVE it!! I got a DVD set of the first 37 (I think) episodes, but I think it must have been an illegal version of the Chinese edition. The translation is Clrrap! The version you can get on bit torrent file has a wonderful translation. If I hadn't seen those first, I wouldn't understand a dang thing going on in the version I bought.

I honestly don't understand the current Scooby Doo trend. Can anyone explain it to me? I remember sitting down in front of the show when I was 6 yrs old, and even then it was totally stupid. It is unbearable now. It isn't funny at all, and it has no intelligence or creativity whatsoever. If you love it for the purpose of mocking it's horrendousness, I can understand that. But if you actually LIKE it, ugh. I just don't understand that.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Ones I dig:

Jungle Wa Itsumo Hale Noche Guu
Simpsons
Samurai Jack
Powerpuff Girls
Jackie Chan Adventures
Animaniacs, of course
Aa, Megamisama!
King of the Hill

Maybe I can add a few more later.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
I like most of these and may be the only one on this forum that digs Teen Titans... mostly because I like the way they argue.

There have been some great moments in the new Justice League and it's almost worth watching the whole show for just them.

Batman (to Wonder Woman, speaking of Superman):
"next time I let him take charge, hit me... really hard"

Flash (to Hawk Girl): "so, is there a Hawk Guy?"
(something falls and Flash runs and catches it)
Hawk Girl (genuine): "that was impressive!"
Flash: "Fastest man on the planet..."
Hawk Girl: "maybe that's why you can't get a date."
(long pause)
Flash: "HEY!!"

[ROFL]

[ March 19, 2004, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: T. Analog Kid ]

Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
PSI has great taste in cartoons.

As usual. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
Some of my favorite classic cartoons are also:

Looney Tunes (especially Bugs Bunny)
Harvey Tunes
Top Cat
Herculoids
Space Ghost (rocks)
Johnny Quest (also rocks severely)

Modern Cartoons:

Just about any anime
Digimon
Pokemon
Beyblade
Star Wars Clone Wars (Genndy Tartarovsky of Samurai Jack and Dexter fame)

Jeez there are just too many to list...

More importantly there are 2 cartoons I am having the utmost trouble getting into:

South Park - I just can't seem to sit through an episode, I find the show horrendously stupid

Aqua Teen Hunger Force - I am trying to watch this with the same problems I have with South Park.

Aside:

One of the funniest things I have watched recently are these voiceovers of the GIJoe cartoons "Knowing is Half the Battle" segments. These were given to me by an intern and I will have to find a link to the site!

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Kids Next Door!
Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot MOTU and POP...they are old and I was thinking of the more recent ones.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh the memories of my younger days, with Rescue Rangers, Talespin, and Tiny Tunes. Good times, those were.

[ March 19, 2004, 07:00 PM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Rescue Rangers!

My hubby thought Gadget was way hot. [Roll Eyes]

MoonRabbit
Member # 3652

- posted      Profile for MoonRabbit   Email MoonRabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Ren & Stimpy.

Not the new, totally stupid and disgusting episodes on Spike TV (I'm the pitcher, you're the catcher!), I mean the old totally stupid and disgusting episodes (Quick, man! Cling tightly to my buttocks!). Powdered Toast Man rules.

[Smile]

[ March 19, 2004, 10:57 PM: Message edited by: MoonRabbit ]

Posts: 173 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

I think we need to organize some kind of picketing thingamabob to get Ren & Stimpy (the old, better episodes before Spike TV turned them into gay lovers. I still don't get why they did that. [Confused] ) and Invader Zim back on the air.

[EDIT: I swear MoonRabbit's post wasn't there when I was posting.]

[ March 19, 2004, 11:01 PM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Battle of the Planets/G-Force was always great as was Star Blazers.

Looney Tunes WERE awesome, you just never know what you'll get if you watch them now, they edit/chop them too much [Frown]

I like all the X-Men, Spiderman, Batman new cartoons.

Others I miss:
Dungeons & Dragons
Gargoyles
Gummi Bears
The Tick

Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought the 90's Spiderman series off E-Bay, and damn if it's not the best flashback I've ever had. Just wonderful. The first season's slow, but it always is, and the rest... I still remember lying on the floor in front of the television, legs up, neck craned high... Doing the little-kid dance to the Spiderman theme song... God, those were good days...

The 90's X-Men series is also a must. The Batman animated series was excellent, though I'm also very partial to its successor the Batman/Superman Adventures and its successor, Batman Beyond. Best voice acting ever.

Transformers and its far more fluid successor, Beast Wars, aren't quite as good but damn unforgettable.

As far as comedy goes, nothing but nothing beats the Animaniacs and its sister, Pinky and the Brain.

Looney Tunes was, is, and will always be absolute crap. Never made me laugh. Never made me think of laughing. Made my laughter shrivel and die inside me. Same goes for every cheap-animation crap I've seen on the Cartoon Network, like Dexter's Laboratory or the Powerpuff Girls.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

quote:
Quick, man! Cling tightly to my buttocks!
Actually, I'm pretty sure this was "Quick, man! Cling tenaciously to my buttocks!"
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
Paul Terry's Terrytoons...1920's cats and mice, Farmer Al Falfa, and follow the bouncing ball sing-alongs. Heckle and Jekyll, Krazy Kat and Ignatz. Old Looney Toons. Mr. Wizard, Rocky and Bullwinkle, Fractured Fairytales...
Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Hope I don't forget any that I like... It's been some time though since I was looking at them.

Dexter's Lab
Animaniacs
Pinky and The Brain
Johnny Bravo
Powerpuff Girls
Cow & Chicken
Ed, Edd 'n' Eddy
The Tick
2 Stupid Dogs
Samurai Jack
Tom & Jerry
Looney Tunes
Jonny Quest
Swat Cats
Spider-Man
The Mask

I WANNA SEE A CARTOON !

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
I felt compelled to revisit this site because of all the awesome cartoons that were mentioned that I had forgotten about.

Growing up in the 80s, I used to get up every morning at 6AM and watch Robotech and Starblazers. I had to hunt on Saturdays to find GForce or a good Godzilla movie, and it was damned frustrating.

However, I was always on the couch to catch Dungeons and Dragons, Thundarr the Barbarian, Superfriends, etc...

Ren & Stimpy do rock, and I have coffee mugs of each and a Stimpy stuffed animal that I picked up in the Orlando Airport on an impulse buy.

Must leave now before shedding tears of sentimentality...

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.