FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Living room computers.... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Living room computers....
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
An opportunity cost is whatever you would be making if you were doing your next best opportunity instead of what you are doing.

For instance, if you're making $30,000 a year at one job, and someone offers you a different $40,000 a year job, your opportunity cost (we're being simplistic and ignoring other aspects of the jobs) is no $40,000 a year.

Typically one switches doing what one's doing when opportunity cost > current value, or at least when opportunity cost > current value + cost of switching.

Your husband is paid $35/hr of work, which when speaking colloquially means he makes $35/hr. If he works one hour a day he's also being paid $35/day. They're just different units of looking at things in (an hour of work cannot be converted to a number of days or a number of hours of workable time unless one knows the conversion factor). Different units aren't opportunity costs.

His opportunity cost is the value of the next best thing he could be doing during the hours he does work.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Tom, doesn't Christy mind?

Nah, not about the monastery thing. About the dented walls . . .

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
To get back on track...I'm going to build my new system based off that chassis. I've wanted a PVR for quite a while, this looks like a nice way to do it (and to be able to play games faster! UT2k4 here I come!).
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry Tom. I was just trying to figure out if you use your TV screen (which is what I thought it was, before I got lost) for your computer how much less TV you would be watching, if any. I also had this little mental tangent of is replacing TV time with computer time actually a good thing?

(you can return to all of your regularly scheduled computer acronymns now)
[Big Grin]

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.