FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Name the Babies (or Name the baby II)

Author Topic: Name the Babies (or Name the baby II)
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I am stealing Tom Davidson's idea.

My wife and I have finished our adoption paperwork and are now awaiting the call to go to Russian and pick up our children.

In the information we received on this next step in the adoption process, we have been told that we will need names for the two children we are getting by the time our trip is over. These names will go on all the official paperwork, so they will be legally binding.

We are adopting from Russia, so I was thinking of letting the kids keep their Russian names, as a way of keeping their Russian heritage.

This has been contra-indicated. At some point in their young lives the kids will want to be as American as possible, and not to be reminded of the adoption every time they sign their name. So we will keep their Russian names as their middle names.

But what of thier first names? What goes good with Davis?

We don't know if they are going to be two girls or two boys or one of each, so give me anything good that goes with Davis.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Give them Russian Middle names. Or American-sounding middle names. Then they can adopt one or the other.

Russian novels always have like 12 names for each character so this shouldn't be a problem, right?

I was thinking Haven and Maven Raven. Since you've changed your last name to Davis, however, I'm sort of at a loss. Except I've always like Bette Davis.

Mavis?
[Wall Bash]

[Big Grin]

By the way...congrats on getting all the paperwork done. I hope the call comes soon!!!

[ February 13, 2004, 04:48 PM: Message edited by: Bob_Scopatz ]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
They just had a big feature story in the local paper about a local parent support group, of parents who all adopt babies from other countries. It mentioned that almost all keep the child's native birth name as middle name. And also that they teach them their native heritage.

(I'll see if I can find link)EDIT: I found article, but they want me to pay $2.59 to retrieve online version. sorry.

Wouldn't you need to know the current first (soon to be middle) name in order to pick a first name? I mean to have proper rhythm and all?

Farmgirl

[ February 13, 2004, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I'll say it before anyone else.

What about Mavis?

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha ha, Zan, I was editing my PRIOR post as you were posting your lame attempt at being first with Mavis.

Ha ha ha ha hahahahahahhahahahahha

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
How bout Hortis? Or Shaboobleblab?
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Now I know why I come here for serious advice.

How many of these names would result in conviction for child abuse?

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
no zgator! That only goes with Beacon!

Dan -- your last name is Davis? Whoda thought?

FG

[ February 13, 2004, 04:54 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that American first names and Russian middle names are good. I really like the romanization of slavic names. My daughter's name is Annika which should sound like Anitchka but is too hard to say. It's Czech.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

::bump::

Here's my favorite name site. They just started charging for some of it but it's still pretty cool.

Names

Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
Charles Davis was the first name to come to mind...

BTW, baby name websites suck. I just got a random selection of 15 from one site and they gave me: Sanjula, Jocosa, Zenobio, Raksha, Vazsony, Roscoe, Storm, Vlau, Pythia, Ames, Cilantha, Varden, Angus, Babette, and Eden. Eew! (Sorry, Storm). I mean, Pythia?? Babette?? Angus-steak??

Wrong, so wrong.

Okay how about..
Emily Davis
Michaela Davis
Kelsey Davis
Samuel Davis?

this site will give you the top 1000 names for each decase from the 1900's onwards. That's prob much more helpful than choosing between Yardley or Sherwood.

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations and good luck, Dan.

Do you want the names to be common American names (which means they'll have tons of friends with the same name, and never know when someone's addressing them) or uncommon names (in which case they won't fit in)?

In Jewish tradition we name kids after relatives. Do you have any relatives whose names you like and think might work?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmn... That's a tough one.

This name site has a lot of names, including their meanings and origins (if you thought about giving them Russian-oriented names).

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

<slaps forehead>

How could I forget...Angela! Angela Davis. It fits with the whole Raven thing. Black power, dude!!!

I've always been partial to Bob myself.

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I always wanted a Dixie Marie and an Arin Morgan.

I do have a Nathan Michael, so it's all good.

What about Christopher Robin? [Big Grin]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I do agree with you that it would be a good idea to keep their current name (once you know what it as) as either their first or middle name.

As for their other/American name, what are you looking for - traditional? unusual? trendy? long or short? with built in nicknames or no (ie. Robert = Rob, Bob, etc.)?

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
I say you randomly pick from the top ten most popular baby names chosen by white suburbia. Justin Davis! Alicia! There's nothing like a designer name to commit legal child abuse...
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TimeTim
Member # 2768

- posted      Profile for TimeTim   Email TimeTim         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!

Just as a side note, one of my neighbors adopted a russian boy several years ago and let him keep his russian name. He's about as happy and well adjusted as you could wish for. His name is Nikita.

As for you, I think Hugo, Jasper, Martin, and Patrick are all really cool boy names.

For Girls, Rose, Anne, Lisa, and one of my favorites, Anastasia. But if you want to talk child abuse, try Rachel or *shudder* Ashley.

Good Luck!

Posts: 218 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NicoleValentine
Member # 6206

- posted      Profile for NicoleValentine   Email NicoleValentine         Edit/Delete Post 
Hehe, go figure, Rachel and Ashley are two of my favourite names...
Anyway, when paired with Davis, I'm partial to Kristen, Kelly, Birttany, and Evan for girls - Kristen being my top choice. For boys, the names Paul, Christian, and Brian seem to roll off my tongue nicely - Brian being the one I like best

Posts: 26 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
butterfly
Member # 5898

- posted      Profile for butterfly   Email butterfly         Edit/Delete Post 
How about Gray? Gray Davis has a great ring to it, don't you think?
Posts: 91 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I like names that are heard, but rarely used. How about Bethany Davis or Ruth Davis. I really like the name Hannah too, but it's getting more and more popular. Greg is nice for a guy. My mom's name is Wendy, but there don't seem to be any kids named Wendy anymore. Deborah is nice, one of mu favorite people is a Deborah.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
blacwolve, your taste in names is frighteningly close to mine.

And Dan, is there any way you can see and play with your babies before you give them names? In my experience, babies often give you their names in their faces and behavior.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

Okay there was a post but it disappeared.

I saw Lillian on it and I liked that a lot.

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Girls:
  • Aiden
  • Aisling (Irish, pronounced Ash-leen)
  • Allegra
  • Athena
  • Bridget
  • Cassandra
  • Corinne
  • Everett
  • Georgia
  • Grace
  • Helena
  • Indira
  • Kendall
  • Lilah
  • Merrick
  • Quinn
  • Tara
Boys:
  • Baylor
  • Caleb
  • Ethan
  • Ezra
  • Hayden
  • Henry
  • James
  • Miller
  • Shane
  • Seth
  • Tate
  • Thomas
  • Tristan
  • Wade
  • Walker
  • Warner
  • Whitman

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Thanks all.

We will be meeting with the kids a few hours each day for a week or so. My thought is to have a nice long list to help decide which name fits each child.

I love Mrs. M's list, except, I'm sorry, but I think naming a girl Allegra is just cruel.

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Andrew doesn't like Allegra either. Maybe it's a guy thing - almost every woman I know thinks it's a striking and lovely name.
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Allegra is an allergy medication, MrsM. I think that might be the objection.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MoonRabbit
Member # 3652

- posted      Profile for MoonRabbit   Email MoonRabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Name them after your favorite pr0n stars.
Posts: 173 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my close friends is named Allegra, she doesn't seem to have any objection...
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

...and she's nothing to sneeze at either, let me tell you!

[ February 15, 2004, 11:40 PM: Message edited by: Bob_Scopatz ]

rivka
Member # 4859

blacwolve, if she's about your age, she was given the name before the medication was. [Smile]
Suneun
Member # 3247

I know a girl named Yasmin, which is a very pretty name. Unfortunately, a popular birth control bill named Yasmin recently came out.

At least she gets to get free pens and notepads with her name on it =)

Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't name her Jessica. That name is becoming way too popular. In one day, I met four of them.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
If there is a girl, name her Slash.

A girl named Slash would kick ass.

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe it.

TWO THREADS, and you people don't get the message.

Girls:

See my suggestions on Tom's thread. Geesh.

Boys:

Bearhug
Zipline
T-bone

[Confused]

That's all I can come up with? Loosing my touch, I tell ya.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
Forgive me for skipping most of the posts, but I'm not sure if you really do need to avoid Russian names altogether. My husband and I decided to give our girls names that worked well in both languages.

Natalia (more english: Natalie)
Alexandra (more english: Alexis, Lexi)
Maria (obviously, Mary)

try also

Elena
Kathrine (anglicized form of Ekatarina, or Katarina)
Kristina (or Kristine)

For boys names that would work

Michael
Nicholas
Peter
John (Ivan)

Tasha is a nick name for Natalia from Russia, but has been fairly popular in America recently. That is what my daughter chooses to have us call her.

Your children may go through a phase where they want to reject everything Russian, where it will remind them of being adopted but they will be adults far longer than they will be children. If you are being advised about adoption from the Russians, or your agency is heavily influenced by the Russian agency, consider that Russians have a much greater stigma against adoption than Americans do. Your children will view their adoption based on your own attitudes toward it.

When I first met my husband, I was proud to say that my youngest sister was adopted. After a while, he voiced his discomfort with this, saying that when I said that, what I really meant was that she wasn't my real sister. I was astonished. I had never looked at it that way. What I had meant when I said she was adopted was that there was a much longer and in some ways more painful process of getting her than if she'd simply been born. I told him the whole story, and he realized that when I said adopted I meant: And this is the sister that God took extra measures to get to our family, by which we experienced many miracles.

Yes, there are extra issues and problems that come up with adoption, but be careful about stigmatizing it yourself by avoiding any reference to it.

[ February 16, 2004, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: Amka ]

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Elena is lovely, as are the rest, Amka. [Smile]

quote:
After a while, he voiced his discomfort with this, saying that when I said that, what I really meant was that she wasn't my real sister. I was astonished. I had never looked at it that way. What I had meant when I said she was adopted was that there was a much longer and in some ways more painful process of getting her than if she'd simply been born. I told him the whole story, and he realized that when I said adopted I meant: And this is the sister that God took extra measures to get to our family, by which we experienced many miracles.
You are lovely.

[ February 16, 2004, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Alexander, Sasha and Anna are some more american sounding names that are popular in Russia.

I would bring a list of names with you. I think seeing your children will definitely have an effect on the names you choose, especially the older they are. I like the idea of keeping their names as their middle names.

Edit: Oh, you're already ahead of me, Dan, I didn't see your post. Good idea to bring a list! [Smile]

[ February 16, 2004, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: Christy ]

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Thank you Amkha. Actually the advice came from some grown folks who happened to have been adopted. They told of times, from a few months to many years, to some of their sibblings who continue to want to separate themselves from the label of adoptee.

Times have changed, and I doubt this will be more than a phase.

And Yes, Allegra reminds me of the dopey allergy commercials.

Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, speaking from personal experience, my English name and all my Russian friend's English names are just the American versions of our Russian names.

My Russian name is Grisha. In English that's Greg. I have a friend Sasha(a boy) and in English he's Alex, though i guess it'd be the same for a girl. Misha, Michael. My mothers name is Lena, short for Yelena, and in English it's Ellen. And then other names can stay pretty much the same and are just pronounced differently.

So anyway, you could just use the English equivalent of their names.

My grandmother's name is Valentina, in english, Valentine. I'm pretty sure OSC based the character on her. [Smile]

Though if it's a matter of changing their names to not remind them of adoption then that may not be the best option.

[ February 16, 2004, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: Strider ]

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Strangely, too, a lot of the Russian names that I found are from Greek or Latin origins. Still, they have a European flare to them, but there are still some that wouldn't stand out here.
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Consider an ethnic Russian name with a cool nickname.

Sorry, Marek, using this example cause it was the first that came to my head.

Ex: Svetlana, nickname Lana.

There are a million more.

Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Tasha is a nick name for Natalia from Russia
Shouldn't it rather be for Natasha?
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
See, Allegra reminds me of Allegro. And, while I think it'd be hilarious to name a little girl, "fast" some might also consider it cruel.

But if you decide to go for it I wonder what the Italian word for "easy" is...

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
Natasha is yet another nick name for Natalia.

Russians are famous for their affectionate forms. Taking Natalia as an example, we get

Natasha
Natashka
Natashinshka
Tasha
Tashka

etc.

Sasha is actually the nick name for Alexandra or Alexander. A Russian might also call the person Sashka, Sashinchka, Alexandrichka, etc.

Russians will do this to any name. My own name is Ami. My husband calls me, you guessed it: Amka. It is a short 'a' rather than the long 'a' of my given name. He also calls me Ama, Amishka and more.

Want more confusion? His name is Vladimir. There are two common nicks for that: Volodya and Vovka. A common rule with applying nicks is that the longer they are, the more affectionate they are. So, I might call my husband Vovuschka, but no one else but his mother would.

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.