FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Great or Horrible Movies You've Recently Seen (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Great or Horrible Movies You've Recently Seen
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Recently seen a movie that you really feel like posting about how awesome or horrible it was? Oh wait, it probably already had a thread when it was released in the theatres.

Well, fret no more!

Whether the movie is recently out of the theatres, or 50 years old, this is your place to rave or rant about it.

Since this isn't a one movie thread though, be sure to say if you're posting spoilers.

I'll start off:

I just saw Equilibrium a 30 minutes ago. I had heard great things about it, and finally rented it for my mom and me to watch. Not only was the action fantastic, but I thought the storyline was very well written as well. Kind of a cross between Fahrenheit 451 and The Giver.

[ February 14, 2004, 10:47 PM: Message edited by: CalvinMaker ]

Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm. Nathan and I just had a lazy day in PJ's reading and watching movies. We watched:

The Princess Bride
Mary Poppins
Pirates of the Caribbean

In between times, we read out of Watership Down.

And ate. Bagels and cream cheese. Eggs and bacon. Apple crisp.

Perfectly lovely, this lazy day.

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Kiki's Delivery Service is the best movie! The cake scene made me cry...
And Little Voice is just excellent. It's amazing that that woman sang all those songs like that.
The Cowboy Bebop movie is also awesome.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched the Magdalene Sisters a little bit ago, and I wanted to know what people thought about it. I didn't think the head nun was as evil as the reviews seem to think (the reviews thought the nun was portrayed really awfully and cruelly, but I thought she was a complex character).

I just watched Pretty in Pink. (bit of spoiler?) Read some reviews on that one, and I can't believe that there are people who think she should have ended up with duckie. No way, man. Duckie's interesting, but certainly not her type.

Watched Empire Records for the umpteenth time recently. Not a deep movie, but it has some lovely characters. I really enjoy Rory Cochrane's character, Lucas.

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

Syn, in Kiki's (blah spoiler blah or something), I found it really frustrating that the cat never talked again. It bothered me, tons.
Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Human
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Human   Email Human         Edit/Delete Post 
Return of the King.

*SPOILERS*

For all of it's faults and omissions, it has to be credited with tackling the impossible (Wrapping up the LotR trilogy), and doing a really good job! From the beginning, and Gollum's treachery, to the end and Frodo leaving for the Grey Havens, all was done masterfully.

There were glitches, like the Paths of the Dead (reminiscent of PotC), but...when a movie has lines like "I can't carry it, but I can carry you!" that don't sound corny, etc...the movie done real good.

Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

Hey CalvinMaker, did you ever see Princess Bride?
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Diane and I did a real date today - movie followed by going out to dinner. Both are rare events and to do both in one day was exceptional. Takes something like Valentine's Day to get us out of our workaholic modes to actually go out and do something like a real couple.

We went to see Big Fish - and I think we were both pleasantly surprised by the movie.

****Possible Spoilers****

For both of us, the movie was merely "good" until the final half hour. From the moment the son travels to Spectre the real transformative nature of the film kicked in. I'm still trying to figure out why the movie moved me so deeply - I was in tears at the end, when Edward asks his son to tell him the story of the witch seeing his death. (sounds silly, but it worked for me.)

I understand from other reviews that Secondhand Lions was similar in some ways, but since neither of us have seen that, it didn't diminish today's movie in any way.

I really didn't know I was going to see a movie that would have me in tears at the end. Probably a good thing. I have low standards for movies that make me laugh. I refuse to see a movie that's going to manipulate me toward nonlaughter tears unless it does it really really well.

Nice day. Tomorrow, it's back to shovelling out the my office space at work.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Livious
Member # 2326

- posted      Profile for Livious   Email Livious         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched a movie my sister made me get last night. I think it was called Casablanka or something like that. It was pretty good, although it was black and white. People should give it a shot.
Posts: 317 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed I did. It was fantastic.
Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
The worst movie I've ever seen is House of 1000 Corpses . It came from the mind of Rob Zombie. If you've ever heard Rob Zombie's music or seen one of his videos, you probably have a good idea what the movie is like. This movie was praised by Tobe Hooper, the man who gave us the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre .
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I watched a movie my sister made me get last night. I think it was called Casablanka or something like that. It was pretty good, although it was black and white. People should give it a shot.
I don't know Livious enough to know if this is sarcasm or not. If it isn't...I'm scared [Angst] .

[ February 14, 2004, 11:00 PM: Message edited by: Taalcon ]

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

CalvinMaker: I'm so glad [Smile]
TimeTim
Member # 2768

- posted      Profile for TimeTim   Email TimeTim         Edit/Delete Post 
Not too long ago I chanced upon Tim Burton's Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction. I don't really know what I feel about them. They held my attention mostly because of the violence that seemed to permeate both. Even now, I have remembering the plot lines. I think that perhaps they were actually good movies but its hard to tell. They were certainly memorable if nothing else.
Posts: 218 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

*psst!* I think you mean Quentin Tarentino.

Although a Tim Burton version of Pulp Fiction would be...an interesting experience to say the least.

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Really? why? I think it symbolized that she has grown up and has to be with humans more... and he has a family o fhis own to take care of.
I wonder if his kitten talked though... He was so cute!

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

Synth is right - it's a symbol of her growing into Maturity. And I'm sure if the Kitten find a young witch girl then he'll be able to converse with her [Wink]

*loved Kiki's Delivery Service - my favorite Miyazaki film*

[ February 14, 2004, 11:19 PM: Message edited by: Taalcon ]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I got to watch "Ghost" for the umpteenth time tonight (it was on WB). Except I tuned in late and missed my favorite "love over the potter's wheel" part...

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I saw 50 First Dates yesterday. Adam Sandler plays Adam Sandler, Drew Barrymore plays Drew Barrymore. If you like them, you'll like the movie; if you don't, you won't.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Identity. Great thriller.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MoonRabbit
Member # 3652

- posted      Profile for MoonRabbit   Email MoonRabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Bartleby with Crispin Glover (George McFly from Back to the Future) has to be the worst movie I've ever seen, and I've seen some real stinkers. A close second is Eyes Wide Shut.

Both are extremely slow-paced, boring and pointless. I kept watching, thinking "It has to get better" - but it never does. If you're having trouble sleeping, rent either one. It's hard to believe that Eyes Wide Shut was so controversial - I'm amazed any of the critics were able to stay awake through it.

Posts: 173 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Eyes Wide Shut was boring and ridiculous! Not even the nudity made any difference. There was nothing remotely erotic about it.
Plus the sex cult really made no sense!

Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw The Frighteners with Micheal J. Fox. I was surprised I hadn't heard of it before, and I really liked it! ^_^ It amused me.

[ February 15, 2004, 03:04 AM: Message edited by: Ryuko ]

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
Worst Movie = Doom Generation

close tie with Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge. this second one just screwed up all the rules.

And The Frighteners was directed by Peter Jackson...it was him giving noncrackheaded b-movies a shot.

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
Ben, the thing about the rules is I don't think that there were any yet. It was the second movie, after all, not the fifth.

Human, IMHO it did sound corny.

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I did not like IGby Goes Down. I hate movies about snotty, unsympathetic rich twerps.
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Pirates of the Carribean recently and it was good the first time I watched it, but every other time I tried watching it it felt so extremly boring that I just had to turn it off.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
That's interesting, MEC - the first time I saw POC, I couldn't stand it. It took two more viewings to decide that there was redeeming value in it somewhere.

Ah - peer pressure, I know thee well - even at 34. You should have heard the gasps of dismay by coworkers and friends at church after my first dismissal of the flick.

So, I opened my mind and tried it again. It worked when I finally watctched it with my 10 year old. He had a great time with it - thus making it possible for me to relax and enjoy it.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Terrible movies:

The Hours-- why are all these women kissing each other? Streep's character I understand. . . but the rest of them are just random.

Much like the rest of the plot.

Far From Heaven-- what? Let me repeat, WHAT?

He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not- Claire Danes french kisses a mirror.

And that scene actually makes more sense than the rest of them.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Joe Dirt

*hides in shame that she actually saw this. At least it was free - marketers desperate to create buzz show a free screening at school*

[ February 15, 2004, 12:05 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
No spoilers...

Master and Commander I saw on Thursday night. I saw it reluctantly, even though Billy Boyd is in it ( [Smile] ). I was planning on just renting it, but it was the only movie on at the the right time that I remotely wanted to see.

I loved it... it was far better than I expected. Hardly any goryness, for all I had been told. It's sad and terrible in bits, but funny (not funny as such... just humourous... or something) enough in the nerve wracking bits to really make it worth watching.

It wasn't an Oscar Nomination gone astray.

EDIT: And perhaps it's worth mentioning that I went with a friend who had seen it before and disliked it, but this time she loved it.

[ February 15, 2004, 08:16 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthro
Member # 6087

- posted      Profile for Anthro   Email Anthro         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Peter Pan in a near-empty movie theater.

Incredible.

Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Good:The Triplets of Bellevile

Bad: Hugh Grant's Night Train to Venice
Gah!

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched My Neighbor Totoro a couple weeks ago, and I thought it was very cute. It's really light-hearted (even for a Miyazaki movie), but the facial expressions of the children are spot on. It was a really fun movie to watch.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I sat down and watched Shrek last night.

"You cut me deep, Shrek."

Fantastic. I don't know about the sequel. I'd love for them to be able to capture what made the first one great but I also know that movies of this sort always lead to terrible sequels. Although, Antonio Banderas (sp?) as Puss'N Boots the assassin could be hilarious.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

The previews for the Shrek sequel look very promising.
Ben
Member # 6117

Lee. there were rules set up in part 1.

1) Freddy is back to torment the children of the parents who killed him. not random gym coaches at fetish clubs.

2) Nowhere was it stated that he could manipulate those in the real world. ever. or possess their body. or control fire. this was never explored again and didnt belong to begin with.

the other movies, although only 3 in the series were good, followed rules. dumb freddy 2.

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

The Ice Storm.

Absolutely amazing movie.

graywolfe
Member # 3852

- posted      Profile for graywolfe   Email graywolfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Saw the Station Agent. I've NEVER seen a movie quite like it. Everyone involved did a masterful job, as normally it's impossible to make a movie successful w/that sort of pacing, but it somehow worked, and worked beautifully. It's impossible to track down though.
Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
ClaudiaTherese said: Good: The Triplets of Belleville
The Triplets of Belleville

I just saw this over the weekend. It's 85 minutes of animation with no dialogue, and I loved it. It also helped that there was an older couple of ladies sitting next to us that kept cracking up. Their laughter was infectious, I swear.

Also: Last weekend I saw The Breakfast Club. Good stuff.

( The Station Agent is really good too. (I love the little art-house theatre in town.. )

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
Who said Pirates of the Caribbean was boring the second time? I watch it regularly. [Razz]

Anyway, I just saw "50 First Dates."

It was funny and good, but...

SPOILERS!!!
The ending was bittersweet because she was never cured, she had to find out she was a married mother every single morning. [Frown]
END OF SPOILERS.

[Wink]

Okay movie. I would recommend it for a date for young people.

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrianM
Member # 5918

- posted      Profile for BrianM   Email BrianM         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Peter Pan around New Years, I thought it was fantastic.

I rented Lost In Translation tonight, U T T E R L Y horrid. I am so dumbfounded I can't even describe why.

I was dragged to Love Actually since it was in our cheap theater, and it was actually pretty good. I was surprised.

Mystic River - very good film, probably the best of the year.

I rented League of Extroadinary Crapiness, even though I was warned. It's even worse than the warnings I got not to see it.

I re-watched Equilibrium for the millionth time recently. It's a great movie that still proves it doesn't take millions and overrated actors to make something utterly brilliant.

I rented Titus and watched it again for the umpteenth time, it's such a great movie.

Posts: 369 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"I rented Lost In Translation tonight, U T T E R L Y horrid. I am so dumbfounded I can't even describe why."

Try to describe why? I loved this film passionately.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrianM
Member # 5918

- posted      Profile for BrianM   Email BrianM         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, I'll post what I posted on Ornery and even elaborate. The plot was shallow, (by shallow I mean uninteresting and non-engaging) the acting was overdone where it wasn't obviously meant to be and Bill Murray was too full of his over-powering subtlety that it made me physically ill. Just another movie about some thoughtful old guy with a midlife crisis meeting a young woman trying to "find herself." I am sick of these. Not to mention the portrayal of Japan went from ludicrous extreme to ludicrous extreme.

Also, there wasn't much character development at all, the painting of his family over the long distance was too weak, and you had no idea about how he really felt about them. The film even attempted to capitalize on this shortcoming by him always saying "it's tough," "it's complicated," "it's hard," but that kept getting restated, never got elaborated and it got boring. There was almost no depth to any character short of the laughable "soul searching" the girl went through. The partying sequences didn't really fit much as they were abruptly inserted and didn't transition well with the screenplay. I have a list of probably a million more than I might add over time, but this is it for now.

[ February 17, 2004, 11:19 AM: Message edited by: BrianM ]

Posts: 369 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I also saw The League of Extraordinarily Wooden Gentlemen this weekend. "I'm waiting to be impressed!" indeed.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
If someone will explain Night Train to Venice to me, with even minimally reasonable coherence, I will dance naked on a bar.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
checkerspot
Member # 6179

- posted      Profile for checkerspot           Edit/Delete Post 
to whoever mentioned "he loves me, he loves me not"- what movie is this? there is a french movie by the same name that's pretty quirky and actually good.

good: i've always loved amelie. tis a favorite. i haven't seen anything great in the theater lately.

bad: something's gotta give. that was awful. i'd rather to go the dentist than sit though this movie again.

Posts: 8 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope people don't hate me for this but I actually enjoyed watching League of E.G.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Ice Storm.
[Cry] Very good. But very sad.

I haven't seen 'Lost in Translation' but my parents saw it and weren't impressed. One of their major comments was that the Japan in the movie was just all the usual parts of Japan portrayed... nothing new.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Oliver! I really, really do. And I don't think I'm alone. It won the Oscar, for Pete's sake!

I own it on video. But every time I get it out and start to watch it, my wife starts making sarcastic remarks about it, and the fact that I actually like it. I'm starting to get a complex.

[edited to added ! to the movie title]

[ February 20, 2004, 05:00 PM: Message edited by: UofUlawguy ]

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.