FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Suicidal pedestrians, or Has Everyone Gone Insane?

Author Topic: Suicidal pedestrians, or Has Everyone Gone Insane?
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I've recently noticed a phenomenon, has anyone else had this experience?

In the past week, the number of people running out in front of me across six lanes of traffic has inflated to the extreme. Any trip to and from a place has us slamming on the brakes at least twice to avoid hitting these people. What makes this so bad?

They're leading children.

Not carrying , mind you, but leading them, pushing them forward. Children as young as three and four years old. (Most of the children younger than this were carried.) People with no apparent physical defects, with no other burdens, who won't stop to scoop up the children and thus make it across faster and more safely. One man was leading (not touching) his four-year-old boy, jogging more slowly to keep up with the boy who was tripping over his own feet. We had to stop abruptly to keep from hitting this pair, and the man never picked him up. Just let the kid finish crossing in front of three lanes of 40 mile-per-hour oncoming traffic, as people slammed and weaved around into each other's lanes.

This would be bad enough if it was the only time it happened. But scarily similar incedences happen to us EVERY DAY while we run errends.

The thing that really bugs me and makes this SO annoying is the fact that Tucson Metro's roadways (at least the major ones) cater to pedestrians. Most have sidewalks and between every intersection is a pedestrain crossing with a light. At least every quarter mile, and in many places less than this, will have a place for pedestrians to cross safely.

Most of these jaywalkers crossed less than 50 yards from a lighted crosswalk.

I wouldn't consider all jaywalking to be a danger to the pedestrians or drivers. Sometimes it's tons easier to cross where you are, especially if there's a large gap or a safe place to cross. But it seems like more and more people are more concerned about expending a little extra effort than they are about keeping safe their children and the drivers around them.

Why is this ballooning out of control now? It's gotten to the point where I don't even want to get in the car anymore, because I may hit an apparently suicidal person. It's not the occasional dangerous moment that occurs in all driving, nor even the fact that I have to be constantly aware what is going on around me (that should happen during driving anyway.) It's more like these people are just testing me, to see if I can stop fast enough. One day I may not be able to.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
This happens all the time in Provo, Utah, but it's mostly college students who are that dumb.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It's all part of that new Japanese game show, "Kiddie Smash-Up."
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
At least a college student can run. I keep waiting for a little kid to fall face first in front of a car.

People are so stupid.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently they've been collaborating with the little old ladies that like to try to make me run them over.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
At least a college student can run.
Yeah, but they DON'T. They just step out in front of your car without even making eye contact, and then they proceed to amble across the street as if they own it.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Yeah, I don't mind hitting these people as much as the innocent little kids.

The most annoying thing about it is, no matter how much it wasn't your fault, you may still suffer for it the rest of your life. I can't even imagine going through life knowing I had caused the death of a little child, or even a stupid grown-up. (Unless I was being attacked...I think I could deal with that quite well.)

MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
You always have to be insanely careful around the Wesleyan campus, because the stupid Wesleyan pedestrians wait until there's a car coming before deciding to cross. Most of the do use the crosswalks, but don't bother waiting until the little light tells them the way is clear. It's horrible.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
ahem, being one of those college students, my thoughts always have been that if I have the green, or just the right of way at the stop sign and you hit me, when I learn to walk again you'll reget it.

However I'm not the worst. Last fall, i'm waiting to cross the street and my fellow classmates continue to stream across the street forcing an ambulance to stop and wait for them (sirens, lights, speeding etc).

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Three people decided to run out into the street every other block. It was all I could do not to hit them.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Just remember, if they see you coming and run, it's worth triple points.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Jon Boy. My fellow college students just walk right out in front of you on a 45 mph street as if they own it. [Dont Know] Pretty soon they only thing they're going to own is a extremely injured body, sadly. [Frown]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

...I had to swerve several times before I hit the pedestrian...
rivka
Member # 4859

*awards mack 10 points*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't say I've seen this kind of behavior, but then I live in a small town, where traffic is limited and pedestrians usually don't have to worry about it.

I remember one interesting scenario from when I was at Harding University. A huge number of students attended the College Church of Christ, only a couple of blocks away, so every Sunday dozens of us would troop across the main drag to reach the building. Because the numbers were so large, and the locals expected us, accidents were unheard of, but no one paid the least attention to lights or crosswalks.

Hmmm...perhaps college students are becoming acclimated to this sort of situation and continuing this behavior when they leave the safe environment.

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
last night a man in sacramento got hit by a car and shot up 25 feet into the air and out of his clothing.
Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
Students at GW have to fight with traffic in order to cross. At stop signs, cars are always supposed to yield to pedestrians -- but they don't unless you walk out in front of them. It's *so* obnoxious.
Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
*shudders*

Driving on the IU campus has always been a nightmare. Not only did whoever built the roads decide that it really wasn't important to inform drivers about little things like one way streets; they also decided that, in what I can only assume was some kind of plan to save space, there would never be two cars passing each other on most of the 2 way streets, so it really wasn't nessecary for there to be more than one lane. This is on a campus with 30,000 students!! [Roll Eyes]

And the students themselves are like locusts you can't crush, they don't walk, they swarm. Even when they're on the sidewalks you still drive in fear that one of them will be pushed off into the road by all the others. And naturally the library is on the street where this is the biggest problem. *sighs*

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll stop for people who are using the randomly placed crosswalks around campus, but if they're even ten feet away from the crosswalk, I keep going. Do any of these people at least look both ways before walking out in front of you guys or do they just disregard that they're about to step onto motorized vehicle territory like they do here?

And have I ever mentioned my pet peeve about having to fight my way off of elevators because the people waiting can't grasp the idea that there might be someone inside trying to get off? (Btw, the elevator I frequent only goes between two floors, so it's not like there are multiple stops.)

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

quote:
last night a man in sacramento got hit by a car and shot up 25 feet into the air and out of his clothing.
Care to provide a link? I'm only a few miles south of the city limits of Sacramento... That's kind of freaky! [Eek!]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my pet peeves is people using the crosswalk when there's a green left turn arrow. Peds do NOT have the right-of-way until the green arrow is gone.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

I agree with that. It's very hard for you to SEE them when you're turning on a left turn arrow. AND you aren't expecting them at all.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

quote:
And have I ever mentioned my pet peeve about having to fight my way off of elevators because the people waiting can't grasp the idea that there might be someone inside trying to get off?
The funny thing about this is they STILL don't get it...you and three people can be trying to get off, and they'll still be trying to get on, like they don't even see you. *laughs* At the mall, anytime you get off the elevator you have to expect to be mobbed by at least four dumb teenage girls.

--------

Ooh, found it! I wasn't at Hatrack at the time so I don't know if you guys already hashed this.

Link

This time it was the driver who was insane.

[ February 17, 2004, 09:12 AM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Just remember, if they see you coming and run, it's worth triple points.
rivka, I wanted to say something like that, but you bet me too it. [ROFL]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

quote:
One of my pet peeves is people using the crosswalk when there's a green left turn arrow. Peds do NOT have the right-of-way until the green arrow is gone.
Not in California... [Dont Know]
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure Nick? That's a pretty bad idea to let peds cross the street when cars are making left turns.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Dunno 'bout NoCal, but in SoCal it sure is.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.