FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Who else here reads Terry Pratchett? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Who else here reads Terry Pratchett?
Sachiko
Member # 6139

- posted      Profile for Sachiko   Email Sachiko         Edit/Delete Post 
oh, how neat. [Smile]
Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HonoreDB
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for HonoreDB   Email HonoreDB         Edit/Delete Post 
For the record, I think Lao-tze's time-manipulation trumps anyone other than Death. If you can travel back in time, no-one who hasn't always existed can foil you.

I like in general the direction Pratchett is going. The Fifth Elephant goes through, systematically, every element of dwarf culture he's mocked in the past, and re-legitimizes it in some way. Fantasy is always better when it takes itself seriously, even if beyond that foundation it's satirical.

Monstrous Regiment, though, annoyed me. How exactly does Polly acquire a social conscience during the course of the book? It seems to come out of nowhere. I expected her to just stay focused on rescuing her brother.

Posts: 535 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

- posted      Profile for Sachiko   Email Sachiko         Edit/Delete Post 
I also thought that Sgt. Jackum should've been the Duchesses' long-lost husband that supposedly died in the war. I was so disappointed when he (hahah) wasn't.
Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.