FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Good . . . OSC... (Page 18)

This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19   
Author Topic: Good . . . OSC...
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Newbies like this are reassuring that the gate's still open. I worry about Hatrack becoming Xanth sometimes.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
CStroman just needs love. If we all hug him, smother him in love, we can help him get over this block. Having a closed mind not open to any other arguement is, after all, tiresome after a while -- once you start being completely wrong, is one possibiltiy.

[Kiss] (((CStroman))) [Kiss]

"The power of Christ compels you."

[ September 20, 2004, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: Phanto ]

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I had to google that phrase to figure out why I was hearing it in a squeaky toy voice in my head.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Calling people ignorant because you don't like facts.

How liberal.

"Just because I don't like the truth, I am going to deny it and invent a falsehood and call it truth. Then I am going to sue and cry until I can get the falsehood instituted as truth."

The fact that your post called it the "Contract of Marriage" is not written in invisible ink.

It is the Contract of Marriage.

You wanna redefine it, get in line because there's a whole slew of people before you.

And PLEASE ignore my posts. Plug your ears and close your eyes and sing La la la la la.

Maybe if you think about it hard enough, the falsehoods will magically turn into truths. [Wink]

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Like Xanth? You mean with inconsistent history and physical laws and a preoocupation with bodily functions? [Big Grin]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Hehe. I knew I could get him to call me a liberal.

Boy, is he wrong about everything or what?

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
If anybody had any doubts about this guy, calling Dagonee a liberal was the last straw in showing that he doesn't know what the heck he's talking about, and can't be bothered to find out before calling people names.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

I just said calling people ignorant was very "Liberal" of you.

You may be Zel Miller for all I know.

I was commenting on your personal attack, not your political views.

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
You mean with inconsistent history and physical laws and a preoocupation with bodily functions?
That's close to a perfect description of this place. [Wink]
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Yes, that's the best policy when people think you're ignorant - call them names, don't provide evidence that you know what you're talking about.

That'll learn 'em.

Dagonee

saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Technically being African American means that you are born in Africa but a citizen of America.
You know, it's possible that it should mean that, but I think you'd have a hard time showing that it actually does mean that.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Dag is clearly a centrist.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

It's funny, people call ME ignorant (which OMG is name calling I think, but I could be wrong since we're redefining everything, ya'know.) and I have seen nothing replying to the POINTS but your name calling.

Swallow your own pill instead of trying to shove it down my throat.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
If you are rude enough, perhaps people will eventually take you seriously.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

I really don't care what any of you think. Perhaps that's what hurts your egos so much. Perhaps that's what compels some to continue posting after they claim they are going to ignore me.

Have some self control and actually do what you claim you will.

Otherwise you're just lying which makes you look even worse.

I agree with everything OSC said in his article.

I think he hit the nail completely on the head, but he was very nice about it.

[ September 20, 2004, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: CStroman ]

CStroman
Member # 6872

If you think I was rude. Then you aren't reading or judging any of the replies other than mine.

It's so sad to see that some are so blinded by their intollerance as to act in the way they have.

[No No]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

I've posted a very clear and concise quotation as to why caling a marriage a contract is an incomplete description. There's a lot in it - the fact that the contractual aspect of marriage is simply the inception of the legal status, the fact that consent is the only significant point of similarity, the special status of the marital relationship, the state interest in every marriage, the fact that the entire body of commercial contract law is inapplicable to marriage, and the exemption of marriage from the contracts clause in the Constitution.

You've yet to respond to any of that point by point.

Poster, heal thyself.

Dagonee

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
It's so sad to see that some are so blinded by their intollerance as to act in the way they have.
Mmmmm. Irony.

Dagonee

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Oh, and technically I didn't say I would ignore you. I said it would be safe to do so.

Dagonee

[ September 20, 2004, 07:40 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"I really don't care what any of you think."

I find this fascinating. If you really feel that way, why are you talking to us?

-----

Just as a side note, BTW, it's worth noting that many dictionaries do not include "between a man and a woman" in their definition of marriage. [Smile] And while you can insist that you believe it SHOULD be there, and say that you believe this to be the commonly accepted definition, there's actually a huge technical difference between an argument based on definitions and an argument based on facts. Which would you like to have?

[ September 20, 2004, 07:57 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe he was talking to me, I said I'm going to ignore him somewhere.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

quote:
I've posted a very clear and concise quotation as to why caling a marriage a contract is an incomplete description. There's a lot in it - the fact that the contractual aspect of marriage is simply the inception of the legal status, the fact that consent is the only significant point of similarity, the special status of the marital relationship, the state interest in every marriage, the fact that the entire body of commercial contract law is inapplicable to marriage, and the exemption of marriage from the contracts clause in the Constitution.

You've yet to respond to any of that point by point.

I did, your response was to ignore everything minue "Parolees".

Not suprised.

But here goes.

quote:
I've posted a very clear and concise quotation as to why caling a marriage a contract is an incomplete description.
Your quote did no such thing. Nowhere does it say that a "contract of marriage" is an incomplete description. It states that it is INDEED a contract, but of a different sort than others.

But a CONTRACT none the less.

quote:
the fact that the contractual aspect of marriage is simply the inception of the legal status,
The Inception and CONTINUATION of that status. It is a contract that is not renewed every day, etc. It is entered into and AGREED by the two parties involved as the BEGINNING of a marriage process. No one that is married one day is not unmarried the next unless action is taken by the state, OR a DEATH occurs. (which again is NOT an action of the state, but does affect the Marriage Contract's Validity) You cannot continue to claim Married Status after one party has DIED. In fact it is AGAINST the law to do so.

Also, you are comparing Marriage to Commercial Contracts, which are two very different things and do NOT cover all contracts entered into and do NOT represent all CONTRACTS with a Legal Binding.

There are contracts in Religion (promises or covenants). You promise one thing, you fail to do so, you forfeit the benefits of that contract. You are ex-communicated.

Commerce has nothing to do with it.

There is the BINDING NON-Consensual contract between a citizen and the law. You disobey the law, you lose the priviledges it affords. Nothing written but very binding.

No commerce involved there either.

The Parolee who promises to make his appointments with his officer is a CONTRACT as well. Not commercial to say the least.

Perhaps we are debating what a contract is, which is an agreement entered into by two parties.

That covers marriage.

The fact that that contract goes through a legal process for it's dissolution reinforces the fact that it is indeed a CONTRACT.

There are many other governing factors regarding contracts that also cover marriage. But not every contract is the same.

Not every contract is legal. Not every contract is written and not every contract is agreed upon but is still binding.

Marriage is just ONE type of contract.

Is it a special contract? You bet. Well at lease it once was to most people. Does it differ from alot of other contracts? Yes, but nothing in which it differes DISQUALIFIES it from being a contract.

What the contract entails is what is at stake.

I think in reality we are on the same page, we both agree that Marriage is a contract. Just that it has some properties that distinguish it from other contracts.

Lots of contracts have such distinguishing properties.

CStroman
Member # 6872

quote:
Just as a side note, BTW, it's worth noting that many dictionaries do not include "between a man and a woman" in their definition of marriage. And while you can insist that you believe it SHOULD be there, and say that you believe this to be the commonly accepted definition, there's actually a huge technical difference between an argument based on definitions and an argument based on facts. Which would you like to have?

Really? There's a dictionary that DOESN'T have it? Well that makes it the law then.

How about the LAW and it's definition of it.

Oh Wait! Liberals want to CHANGE the laws to INCLUDE others other than man and wife.

I can't believe anyone would actually DENY or ARGUE that Marriage is NOT defined as the Union/agreement/contract/promise/etc. between a Man and a Woman.

But with liberals, CBS has proven they'll invent what they want and try to pass it off as truth.

I know this is a sci-fi based form, but lay off the fantasy a bit ok?

Anyone who argues that Marriage is NOT between a man and a woman just crack me up.

DENIAL!

Hahahahahaha.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
So, to clarify, you're using a different definition of "contract" than Dagonee is. By his definition, it's not possible for marriage to be a contract; by yours, which is a more liberal definition, marriage is obviously a contract. The definition that Dagonee is using for "contract" is in fact the legal one, the one recognized by the laws of this country; the one you are using is listed in a few dictionaries, but is not binding.

I hate it when that happens. [Smile]

[ September 20, 2004, 08:05 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

From my previous post: "[Marriage] is not a contract resembling others in any but the slightest degree, except as to the element of consent."

quote:
The Inception and CONTINUATION of that status. It is a contract that is not renewed every day, etc. It is entered into and AGREED by the two parties involved as the BEGINNING of a marriage process. No one that is married one day is not unmarried the next unless action is taken by the state,
Exactly. Contracts can be terminated by consent of the parties. So either marriage is not just a contract, or the state is a party. Your definition is consistent with neither possibility.

quote:
OR a DEATH occurs. (which again is NOT an action of the state, but does affect the Marriage Contract's Validity) You cannot continue to claim Married Status after one party has DIED. In fact it is AGAINST the law to do so.
Funny, most contracts extend past death. Yet another difference.

quote:
Also, you are comparing Marriage to Commercial Contracts, which are two very different things and do NOT cover all contracts entered into and do NOT represent all CONTRACTS with a Legal Binding.

There are contracts in Religion (promises or covenants). You promise one thing, you fail to do so, you forfeit the benefits of that contract. You are ex-communicated.

Commerce has nothing to do with it.

You’re the one who restricted this discussion to marriage being a “civil contract,” so religious contracts are inapplicable.

quote:
There is the BINDING NON-Consensual contract between a citizen and the law. You disobey the law, you lose the priviledges it affords. Nothing written but very binding.

No commerce involved there either.

WRONG! The one universal aspect of contracts is consent. There are no non-consensual contracts.

quote:
The Parolee who promises to make his appointments with his officer is a CONTRACT as well. Not commercial to say the least.
There’s not a contract. That’s a condition of release. Again, no consent.

quote:
Perhaps we are debating what a contract is, which is an agreement entered into by two parties.
"A contract is a promise or a set of promises for the breach of which the law gives a remedy, or the performance of which the law in some way recognizes as a duty." Restatement (Second) of Contracts.

A marriage has duty attached to it. It also has hundreds of other things attached to it.

quote:
That covers marriage.

The fact that that contract goes through a legal process for it's dissolution reinforces the fact that it is indeed a CONTRACT.

No. Contracts can be dissolved by consent of the parties. Marriages can’t – it requires consent of the state.

quote:
There are many other governing factors regarding contracts that also cover marriage. But not every contract is the same.

Not every contract is legal. Not every contract is written and not every contract is agreed upon but is still binding.

Again, you insisted it was a civil contract – this means you are claiming marriage is a legal contract.

quote:
Marriage is just ONE type of contract.

Is it a special contract? You bet. Well at lease it once was to most people. Does it differ from alot of other contracts? Yes, but nothing in which it differes DISQUALIFIES it from being a contract.

What the contract entails is what is at stake.

I think in reality we are on the same page, we both agree that Marriage is a contract. Just that it has some properties that distinguish it from other contracts.

No, we don’t. Marriage is a complex institution which has one property (consent) in common with contracts. One element of a marriage is contract.

quote:
Lots of contracts have such distinguishing properties.
True. And lots of legal entities have contracts and something else. Just like the sale of a house is not “a contract.” It involves the execution of a contract (usually more than one) and the giving and acceptance of a deed, at minimum.

Dagonee

Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Regardless, as always, I feel the need to insert my logic in -- particulary, because I feel it is utterly perfect ^^. (Not really, but I am proud of this idea because it's simple and effective.)

By the way, you may quote me on this. However, make sure to attribute it to "Phanto." Thanks [Smile] . (Waits for the coming deconstruction of my arguement.)
quote:

Gods, you're all arguing in a vacum.

We're speaking about state policy. As state policy, the truth is that there shouldn't be any mention of marriage at all. Marriage is a religious ceremony. Let all denominations have their own little marriages.

And yes, if a gay club wants to have their own marriage club, it should be as valid as a Church's marriage. (Read: both should be meaningless in terms of law.)

The point is that both hetrosexual couples and gay couples should be given Civil Unions.

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
combustia
Member # 6328

- posted      Profile for combustia   Email combustia         Edit/Delete Post 
CStroman:

Give this a look in order to compare your facts.

Posts: 21 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

You linked a liberal website with an obvious bias and HARDLY substantiary evidence as your "facts".

That's like me referring you to check your facts with CBN.

Don't claim facts and then post that stuff because it's as factual as the Bible.

RRR
Member # 6601

- posted      Profile for RRR   Email RRR         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You linked a liberal website with an obvious bias
[ROFL]

edit: added the quote.

[ September 21, 2004, 12:10 AM: Message edited by: RRR ]

Posts: 104 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

Also, I like the Balboa quote about them killing "sodomites" which could be TRUE that they were practicing it or it could be FALSE and that that was used as an excuse for their genocide. Especially seeing as there's no other mention of it being blessed on a large scale ANYWHERE.

This is called the "grasping at straws" technique. Again, it's used by people who are pro-homosexual marriage (instead of Pro-Civil Union) to attempt to "ligitimize" their current lifestyle.

It's another form of "rewritting history to make me feel good about myself" technique.

It's used ALOT now days.

Also, it's fair to note they also practiced ritual human sacrifices as well as animal sacrifices.

So those should be re-instituted as well.

Sorry, but I'm a little too well educated to believe what he has written. [Roll Eyes]

katharina
Member # 827

*fascinated*

*poke* Are you for real?

Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm beginning to feel fond of the funny newbie.

CStroman, have a cookie. Then you will be happy.

*gives cookie*

And now we can all be friends.

[Group Hug]

Jen

[ September 21, 2004, 12:27 AM: Message edited by: Fyfe ]

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

Going to bed now.

Thanks for the cookies.

[Sleep]

Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay, the newbie loves us now.

Jen the Peacemaker

(And all it took was a cookie. We should add that to the troll guidelines.)

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sorry, but I'm a little too well educated to believe what he has written.
You were educated stupid!

Sorry, any chance to bust out the TimeCube site, I take it.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
You linked a liberal website with an obvious bias and HARDLY substantiary evidence as your "facts".
I don't think anybody can really deny that JohnL has an obvious bias.
CStroman
Member # 6872

Wow, now you're calling me stupid for not believing Liberal propaganda.

How mature.

Forgive me for not stooping to your level. [Wink]

Bokonon
Member # 480

Um, you did get that it was a joke, eh?

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Good heavens, a train wreck!

Must watch. . . neck turning. . . of its own. . . accord!

Can't . . . look. . . away!

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I think if we can activate his sense of humor and the realization that we are real people, he might be a good Hatracker.
Bokonon
Member # 480

The [Wink] gives me hope kat.

-Bok

Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Hope springeth eternal, kat.

Be careful- it's got sharp claws.

See Strawman. See Strawman talk. See Strawman walk. See Strawman do the electric boogaloo.

[ September 21, 2004, 11:24 AM: Message edited by: Scott R ]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

[Wink] [Wink] [Wink] And no I'm not flirting or hitting on you. I'm happily married! [Wink] [Wink] [Wink]
katharina
Member # 827

I'm the only female for the past half dozen posts or so, so I'm going to assume that was directed at me.

You were afraid I'd think you were flirting?

Don't hold your breath. [Cool]

Added: Course, it could have been directed at someone else in this brief conversation, in which case I'll just politely step out of the way. [Razz]

[ September 21, 2004, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

CStroman
Member # 6872

quote:
Added: Course, it could have been directed at someone else in this brief conversation, in which case I'll just politely step out of the way.

That depends on how you look. If you are more pleasing to the eye than the view you obstructed, I have no qualms. [Wink]
katharina
Member # 827

Real men love women for their intelligence and heart. Real Hatrackers.

I'm afraid I judge men on how funny and clever they are. You want attention? You need to make me laugh.

[ September 21, 2004, 11:53 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

CStroman
Member # 6872

quote:
Real men love women for their intelligence and heart. Real Hatrackers.

Hey, I love women for ALL that women are. [Wink]

And how do you love a woman for her intelligence and heart who is a stranger, which you have only seen?

Looks play a part in the dance we call love.

katharina
Member # 827

I'm still not giggling. Try again. [Smile]

[ September 21, 2004, 11:55 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

the master
Member # 6788

- posted      Profile for the master   Email the master         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I agree with everything OSC said in his article.

I think he hit the nail completely on the head, but he was very nice about it.

So you agree that we have:

quote:
a generation of children with no trust in marriage who are mating in, at best, merely "marriage-like" patterns
Should they also be denied marriage? I mean, they're just going get divorced and if they do have kids, there's no way they'll be raised in a loving home.
Posts: 157 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

What does his out of context quote have to do with Gays. He's talking about the destruction of Marriage on the whole in society.

He's talking about Brittney Spears, J.Lo, Pamela Anderson type hook ups. (Although I hear PA is now teaching Sunday School) [Eek!]

This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.