FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Newbies, Trolls and hoaxes? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Newbies, Trolls and hoaxes?
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I know some of you remember that forum a while back that decided to create alter egos and post on other people's forums.

I have observed at least three people on here right now, that seem suspect. They have joined at different dates but all have relatively low post counts. Many post frequently several posts behind one of the other suspicious posters.

All of them seem to avoid any direct answers to questions involving facts or appear to be generating "facts" on the spot.

Anyone else noticed this? Or am I becoming really loony and paranoid in my old age?
[Eek!]
GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

[Wink]

AJ

At the same time we have some pretty darn cool newbies too. Skillery has shown a lot of graciousness and class for one, after a bit of a rocky start on the other side.

[ March 02, 2004, 12:51 AM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
A while back meaning more than a year? I'm kind of lazy about facts, but whatever my intentions coming here I've been hooked.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
Stop kidding yourselves. You're all a bunch of freaking newbies. I don't trust a one of you.
Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it was more than a year, since I seem to remember this one very well, and my memory conks out at about a year...

"Anastasia"?

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm a newbie. What exactly am I being accused of, and I didn't do it.
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
Back in your box, newbie.
Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Koga
Member # 5646

- posted      Profile for Koga   Email Koga         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't beleive it was a year ago either, I recall the name "Anastasia", and the word "tupanny" or something like that, so it wasn't all that long ago.

(I gave up posting here for lent, guess I didn't do to well so far)

Posts: 733 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I've never been labelled a "cool newbie".

This fact has been brought to you by the letters F and U.

Anyway, I agree about the newest newbies. Some fine pickin's recently, some fine pickin's. Beverly and skillery 'specially.

[EDIT: and Anthro. Those aren't the three you're talking about, right?]

[ March 02, 2004, 12:54 PM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
I know what you mean. Like the one who has been insulting in nearly every thread, and recently warned a newbie to beware of us old trolls. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of newbies... link and second link

[ March 02, 2004, 09:10 AM: Message edited by: Anna ]

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Especially the old trolls that seem to have less than 400 posts.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
AWWW You figured me out!

*goes back to HarryPotter.com*

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry if this turns out as a double post. I just noticed what's going on at the other side. Wow. Almost every thread is started by someone I've never heard of.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
There's often newbies on the other side. It's less quick and there's less people so it's easier for them to understand what happens, I guess. I started there too.
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

[Big Grin]
Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Well, that's true. I started there too, but only because I didn't know this side existed.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

digging_holes, you are automatically a cool newbie, you're Canadian. [Wink]

A lot of the sorts I'm talking about have absolutely no info in their profile. I can understand not giving an e-mail address but most people (like digging_holes) do put location and a few random interests down.

Though I suppose if they are reading this thread they will now add such things.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

There was also a Nubian Princes or queen or something as I recall during that *incident*. One of the screen names I've been seeing was actually registered about that time last fall.

AJ

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Slash: --I--
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope I'm not one of those obnoxious newbies that y'all are talking about.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
i must be the village idiot. i have no idea what this thread is about.
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

nope and your wife is also delightful.

AJ

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm... you know, I never did change the profile ae had on this account before I took it. Aside from adding my E-mail address so I could get a personalized insult from Frisco.
I almost feel like I should change it, but it still doesn't feel like it's man to change. Like it'd make me less incognito.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Da_Goat, I've never really thought of you as a newbie, but not a veteran either. Sorry.

If it makes you feel any better, I don't recall the term 'cool newbie' as a way to describe me either. And now look at me. Actually, I've never heard the term cool used to describe me here. What's going on, guys?!

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
This is off-topic, but I didn't want to start a separate thread, and I cannot find the answer in the faq.

Can I change my displayed name with this same logon? If so, how?

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I asked the same question shortly after I joined, and the answer was no.

But that's okay, because now I've kinda gotten used to using this screen name and everyone knows me by it.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

I asked the question as well, because I didn't want to lose my posts at the time. I got this resounding answer: "You're an idiot."

I just changed screen names.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Well, I *am* an idiot (especially if you go by the original meaning of the word), so if you were to tell me that it wouldn't be a big revelation.

But no, I have felt quite welcomed here. I must say that this is not an ordinary net forum. That's a good thing. [Smile]

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
AJ, I've been thinking exactly the same thing. This much misunderstanding just has to be deliberate on someone's part.

*shrug

At least it's kept some interesting people posting. (And welcome to skillery, mr_porteiro_head, and beverly. [Smile] )

[ March 02, 2004, 11:20 AM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

CT, judging from your posts I think your radar has been going off on exactly the same people mine has.

AJ

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

porteiro,

I didn't mean that everyone thought I was an idiot (although maybe they did). I think they were just refering to my hesitance to lose my post count, which was, after all, only about 100 or so.

Hey, and porteiro isn't THAT much of a newbie. He's been around longer than PSI, anyway. *points to registration date*

edit: Anna, can you be on AIM right now, or no?

[ March 02, 2004, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. But then again, someone who is not authentically vested in some way will eventually fade out. It isn't worth the trouble, otherwise.

We almost kept Anastasia, if I remember correctly. Who knows? Maybe these players will get converted to the Church of Bob, too. Hatrack is just that way. [Smile]

[ March 02, 2004, 11:29 AM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Oh, I'm not concerned about keeping my meager post count. It will never be high, at least compared to the others here.

I just didn't want to appear like I was trying to pull the wool over anybody's eyes.

Kyle Katarn
Member # 3567

- posted      Profile for Kyle Katarn   Email Kyle Katarn         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, I wonder if you are thinking of me. Probably not, as usual. *sigh*
Posts: 85 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the warm welcome.

quote:
Da_Goat: This fact has been brought to you by the letters F...
When talking to customers on the phone, I am often asked to spell the name of my parent company: DAIFUKU. I have to spell it fast to avoid being offensive.

I usually hang out on a few tech-oriented yahoo groups, but this is the first time I've participated in a web community. I've got a lot to learn, like that *narrative* stuff and the proper use of emoticons. It's fun.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Can I call you suki-rari?
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Can I call you suki-rari?
Sure, but I was thinking more along the lines of "jouzu." Yeah, right. [Blushing]
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
I shall always be a newbie, and will never die.

I'm downloading my consiousness into an AI that will confuse civilization for centuries!

And to think, it all started here....

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Aaa, Sukiirarisan wa jouzu desu ne!
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
This would probably be the thread to say that nothing says "welcome" like to a newbie like the accusation you're really somone banned from Hatrack - just coming in under a new screen name.

I wouldn't want to embarrass Ick, so I won't say he welcomed me that way. [Big Grin] [Razz]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

[Embarrassed]

I didn't accuse you . . . I asked you with tongue in cheek!
It's not my fault KACard took it seriously!

[Embarrassed]

Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

I *still* think SNDRAKE is Baldar.

Or possibly Anastasia.

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Sorry PSI, at work, no AIM [Frown]

I'm not targeting this at specific newbies. I've made some generalizations, but there does seem to be a disturbing pattern. I haven't named any specific names at all.

And maybe this is just hatrack conspiracy thread #54 and there is nothing to it, and I'm tilting at windmills.

(I'll e-mail you from my work addy though)

AJ

[ March 02, 2004, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I *still* think SNDRAKE is Baldar.

Or possibly Anastasia.

Those are lies!

Baldar-faced lies!

(being patient with Slash, who appears to have gone on a diet. Not eating too many people these days, I guess.) [Wink]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
My posts are actually written by an infinite number of monkeys. I hope you still like me (us).
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

speaking of diets, I don't know if it is the recent weather change or what, but I haven't been nearly as hungry recently. Used to eat two nutrigrain bars and 17 oz of water for breakfast, today I had to force myself to eat one and only finished half the water. (and no it isn't the nutrigrain bars getting old on the taste buds, I'm the sort of person that if I find something I like I can eat it every day without any variety)

AJ

digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. To think I went to bed last night thinking no one loved me, and I come back to find I've been labeled a cool newbie. [Blushing]

Thanks, AJ (can I call you AJ?).

I love Canada. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Canada: the 51st state
[Razz]
AJ

digging_holes
Member # 6237

Sadly, I sometimes agree. But I don't hold it against you.
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, only Alberta could be considered a state.

And digging_holes is clearly one of *those* Qubecers. I mean, he's even got the accent in Quebec.

Vive La Bloque!

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.