FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Christy doesn't have to STAY OUT. Gift presented at BobNDanaCon (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Christy doesn't have to STAY OUT. Gift presented at BobNDanaCon
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
<bump> wonders what has become of this. (Did I miss a thread?)
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Hopefully we'll be giving it to her at KamaCon.

Your rainbow ribbon turned out fine, btw. I saturated the ribbon with "liquid hem" and then wrote on it with a sharpie.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
No, but we miss the quilt. *ba-dum-dum*
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhhhhh [Frown]

I need to look thru the older posts!

I missed this one. [Frown]

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Send a ribbon this week, it's not too late!
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not? Ok! I was sure it was.

I think it's still at the bottom of my purse, waiting . . .

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Just wanted to say I do want to come to KamaCon...I've stayed at that hotel before too for my cousin's graduation party. [Smile]

It's the 13th and 14th right? Friday and Saturday? Sounds cool! I can be there by Friday afternoon. [Smile]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok would you mind posting in the Kama Con thread? I think there are a couple of people that can take you as a roomie. I will probably be the vehicle for the anonymous donor repaying whoever pays for the room you share.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Super cool!
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

A preview.

Fourteen kites done and only six tails. Send ribbons, people!

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I have the ribbon currently hanging on my doorknob. It's beautiful and lovely and I have no idea how to get words on it. You mean with a sharpie? Maybe there are colored sharpies...
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

There are indeed colored sharpies.

Test the ribbon first, if the ink bleeds, get some “no fray” liquid from a fabric shop and put it on the part of the ribbon you’re going to write on. Let it dry before you write. It makes the ribbon kind of stiff, but it’s going to be sewn flat anyway.

Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I made the blue one I sent very long on purpose, so that you could cut it into more than one if you needed to. I hate to ask, but could you send back what you don't use of it, if there's any left? [Smile]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Certainly.
rivka
Member # 4859

Those kites are gorgeous!

[Blushing] . . . I lost the ribbons I was going to use during the move. Well, more accurately, they're around here SOMEWHERE.

I'll try to pick up another one or two.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Not the final layout, but it should give you all an idea of what it’s going to look like.

Notice all the KITES WITH NO TAILS!!!!!

Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty!!!

[Big Grin]

I'll get a ribbon for Ted and I sent off tomorrow or Wed... I'm afraid it'll take about a week to get there (international and all)

[Hail] dkw, Banna0j and anyone else who was involved

Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scythrop
Member # 5731

- posted      Profile for Scythrop   Email Scythrop         Edit/Delete Post 
(imogen being lazy)

Wow, I love that rainbow ribbon - so pretty.

I can't remember what colour ribbons I sent, but I'm sure they look great. [Smile]

Fantastic job dkw and aj!

Posts: 466 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Ok, I not only got more ribbon, I found a colored sharpie and wrote on it. (Yes, I'm feeling very accomplished -- sad, innit?) But I have a question.

I bought a three-yard pack of a pretty red (sort of sparkly) ribbon. Should I just send my bit, or would the whole thing be useful (either for this project or another)?

If I keep it, it will just end up in a drawer full of sewing odds and ends. I don't sew much, I'm afraid.

dkw?

dkw
Member # 3264

If you don’t want it, send it. If not enough people participate I’ll use some of it to make unsigned tails.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, JenniK and I will go to the fabric store this weekend and they will be in the mail by Sunday...Monday at the latest....it's not too late, is it?

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Sold! [Big Grin]

God willing, it goes in the mail tomorrow (because otherwise, it'll be a couple weeks, and that would not be good).

dkw
Member # 3264

Bump for daytime posters.

Here's what happens next: I sew the kite blocks and blue spacer blocks together and then ship the whole thing to Banna. She does the actual "quilting" -- sewing through the three layers of pieced top, batting, and backing. Then we get together and sew all the tails on, finishing the quilt. I hope to have the top finished in about a week. I don't know when AJ will have time to quilt it, but that's how long you've got to SEND RIBBONS!!!!!

Procure them. Decorate them. Mail them. PO Box 472, Radcliffe, IA 50230

BannaOj
Member # 3206

I need to get you a ribbon too dkw, though I suppose I could just hand tack it on once it gets to my place.

Quilting shouldn't take that long depending on exactly what is going on at my house. The dining room table is relatively clear, so I should be able to set up there and get it finished in a week or so, machine quilting, though I may hand stitch the binding on depending. I could go the old cheater invisible thread route too, it depends on what feels right when I see it.

Have you already bought the backing fabric, or do I need to purchase that here?

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. I finish ribbon today, I mail tomorrow. I have a bunch of stuff to take to the PO anyway.
Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
You got mine, right dkw?
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
I will get off a ribbon, too, hopefully.

<- really bad procrastinator

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

Dana, please check your email. [Smile]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Karl, I got nothin'. Which account did you send it to?

Banna, I'm thinking we should sew all the tails on after the quilting, so you don't need to send yours.

KarlEd
Member # 571

sent to the email in your profile.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

ok, in that case just send the top to me as soon as you get it pieced. I need a project to think about to distract me from my stupid work among other things.

AJ

KarlEd
Member # 571

Still nothing? Can you email me so I can reply?
dkw
Member # 3264

e-mail sent.
dkw
Member # 3264

Another ribbon arrived yesterday, thank you kat!

It’s really not fair, though, that those of you who procrastinated get to put Sophie’s name on them, while the folks who sent theirs in right away didn’t have that option.

For all of you who are still procrastinating, here’s the deal: A generous Hatracker who may or may not wish to remain anonymous has arranged to purchase enough ribbon to finish any kites still without tails. So there will be no Manx kites. However, it would still be cooler to have the wondrous variety created by you all selecting and decorating your own.

The quilt top will be on its way to AJ by Monday. You have however long it takes her to quilt it, plus however long it takes the two of us to get together to sew the ribbons on, to get your tails in gear and get your kite tails to PO Box 472, Radcliffe, IA 50230.

Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
*decides to mail a ribbon*

What are we supposed to write on them? I don't think she will want a quilt with "space opera" written on a kite tail.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Since we've already posted the photo of the quilt, I think it's ok if I link to my ribbon pic [Smile]

I'm proud of it cause I've embroided it all by myself [Razz]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Write whatever congratulatory message you want, and sign it however you like. I’ve got ribbons signed with screen names, real names, and both together.

Notice in the layout pic that I actually had to leave one kite out to make room for Kama’s GIAGANTIC HUMONGOUS (but very spiffy) RIBBON.

Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
[Embarrassed]

You could have cut some off!

I didn't know how long it should be, so I just sent it all.

[ October 22, 2004, 10:21 AM: Message edited by: Kama ]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

S’okay, I didn’t want to make another kite anyway. Those rectangularly-based triangles are a pain in the neck. I’m sticking to squares from here on.
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
"Manx Kites" would be a good name for a band.
Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

What happened: I have been swamped since dkw_s sent the quilt to me. I hadn't even opened the box she sent it in because I didn't want to worry about losing the parts.

Kat told me she'd help me work on it before BobNDana Con. I figured that it was going to be a big Hatrack Gathering, that it would be a good time to be presented.

The reason why we were late arriving to the hotel, was because I was frantically sewing away on the quilt. It was very much a Group Hatrack project. Katie sewed on my machine (with plaid helping man the large quantities of fabric) while Stray and I went and bought the binding fabric. Stray cut and ironed the binding strips, while I sewed like a speed demon (no comments on my driving please.) Frisco contributed encouraging words [Taunt] . fugu helped me with managing the bulk of the fabric (it helps with the steering) while I sewed away. Plaid helped untangle a giant snarl of thread, and probably saw me at my most frantic with the binding.

Then at the hotel, Shigosei, Katie, Stray, russell and myself sewed ribbons on. Valentine and Xavier went and bought some extra ribbons and sharpies at Target so that more people could sign. All of the ribbons are on. I think we cut one of KarlEd's ribbons and used it on a couple of different kites and let people sign on it because it was so pretty.

We gave up trying to surprise Christy and let her watch the end process. She'd already guessed it was a quilt, probably from the construction delays.

I have no pictures, but I know some were taken, so hopefully someone can link to them on this thread so you can see them. The kite tails just made the whole quilt *pop*. Kama, and imogen and scythrops ribbons made the quilt extremely cool.

I made dkw_s and Bob_s sign the ribbons at the wedding reception as did Icky and Cor. Ryuko drew a fabulous teddy bear on very difficult ribbon. Eljay may not have signed, but she was a whirling dervish as were both Poseable Nurse and Krabby Patty. Given the circumstances I wasn't going to chase them down pen in hand...

Some of the family friends/relatives at the reception (I don't know whether they were acquainted with the bride or groom) saw me showing the quilt to Hatrackers and asked to see it. One of them even took pictures too because they liked it so much. It was fun telling them where the far-away ribbons came from.

Thanks to all who participated! We got it to Sophie before her first birthday. Better late than never...

AJ

[ April 04, 2005, 12:35 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

dkw
Member # 3264

Did you not get the bag of extra ribbons I gave ElJay? There should have been more than enough for everyone to sign!?!
BannaOj
Member # 3206

(no, don't ask... we took care of it and it all worked out. There were some rolls of narrow ribbon which we interspersed with the wider stuff, but the narrow ribbon was hard to sign.)

AJ

dkw
Member # 3264

I only ask because the bag of other ribbons was paid for by a Hatracker who contributed generously for them.

Plus there were some really cool ones in there.

Was it Liza's fault? Can I hold it over her head for the next 50 years?

BannaOj
Member # 3206

I'm not sure whose fault it was, nor am I assigning blame. Weddings are chaos, if organized chaos. It turned out lovely, regardless. If there are more, we can always sew them on later, or use for another hatrack project. I'm guessing the generous donor would probably be extremely understanding knowing that he/she is a jatraquero in the first place!

AJ

[ April 04, 2005, 03:50 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
ElJay left them in Tom & Christy's room when she was dragooned into ironing the photographer's pants. (I don't iron my own stuff, don't ask how this happened.) Anyway, I then had no idea where they were. I'm sorry, I have them now.

And no, I never did get to sign one. [Frown] But it was a wee bit hectic.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

ElJay, here I had you neatly absolved of that one so she couldn't hold it over your head for the next 50 years [Wink]

AJ

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, well. It was my fault, kinda. Although if mack hadn't given me the puppy dog eyes as soon as I walked in, it wouldn't have been a problem.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Okay, cool. I'm glad you guys took care of it.
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously, this means we have to do another blanket for the next Hatrack Tyke.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.