FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack Bible Study Group -- Day Four (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Hatrack Bible Study Group -- Day Four
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
I was once close to God. Being part of the throng, the multitude, took me away from what God really was.
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel God is telling me he has always been there for me, it's been my lack of *fill in here with numerous failings* that has kept us apart or not as close as I would wish to be.
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

- posted      Profile for Ryan Hart           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
people say to me continually,
‘Where is your God?’

Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
I've forgotten to keep God in my heart and in my life. I've dealt with things internally and haven't looked for His guidance.
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
My reflections:

I see my own experiences in this passage. Sometimes I feel that God is far from me. I know that in times past I have felt very close to Him and rejoiced in that feeling. When I feel like God is far from me, I often realize that it is because of my own actions (or inaction). After realizing this, I may experience a sort of spiritual hunger, a desire to be close to God once again. And even though I have not yet drawn near to Him, I am confident that I will feel His presence near me again.

I think that hunger is a good thing to experience. It often precedes a time of new growth. I remember that Jesus said "blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness...." Matt 5:6

I admire the phrase "As a deer longs for flowing streams, so my soul longs for you." I don't know if my hunger is so profound, and I think that longing is admirable.

[ March 24, 2004, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: beverly ]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 6077

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
In God lies what you most hunger for. And it is not enough to welcome him in on the surface or just by being part of the group; it must be done with the whole heart/soul, or you will be left still wanting.

[ March 24, 2004, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: GZ ]

Posts: 14 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Where have I been leading the throng. Is it really to God? Or am I jsut following the throng and going where they will?
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cochick
Member # 6167

- posted      Profile for cochick   Email cochick         Edit/Delete Post 
I missed out on start and I have to go to bed but I'll catch up and post my replies tomorrow
Posts: 394 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
"Hope in God; for I shall again praise him"

As resistant as my head is, my heart believes that I will once again find peace with God.

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
I registered a thirst and an empty belly upon my arrival.

There was nobody at the desk out front.

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
I need to commit to that which I know, I need to understand that which I know. And give thanks.
Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skrika03
Member # 5930

- posted      Profile for skrika03   Email skrika03         Edit/Delete Post 
"Be still, my soul
the waves and winds still know
His voice who ruled them
while he dwelt below".

Suggestion: Could we go back and edit the previous day's post instead of posting a new post each day?

Posts: 383 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aka
Member # 139

- posted      Profile for aka   Email aka         Edit/Delete Post 
"Thou still unravished bride of quietness..."

The silence of woods in winter, the purity of a cold running stream, the beauty of stars in heaven, they are here with me.

Let go of the burden and just be.

[ March 25, 2004, 02:35 AM: Message edited by: aka ]

Posts: 5509 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
Life isn't static; nor is joy, sorrow, fear or security. But God is constant. He is the one thing that remains and sustains me; a float through the wonderful and terrible currents of my life.
Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
reduction?
Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Pooka, I’d prefer that people make a new post each day, rather than editing for a couple of reasons. First, it allows someone joining late to follow the process without inadvertently reading ahead. Second, I’m trying to duplicate as much as possible the “feel” of doing this together on a retreat, and I think a sequential conversation will work better for that.

Day Three Instructions

Again, same text, similar process.

If you’re participating, read and follow the instructions before reading further in the thread.

Find a quiet place, close your eyes and take a few deep breaths. Try to clear your mind of distractions. Open your eyes and read the text slowly, out loud, if possible, otherwise “out loud” in your head.

Sit in silence.

Read the text again, slowly and (if practicable) out loud.

Sit in silence a bit longer this time. Listen for the answer to the question “What is God calling me to do today. (Non-theists, feel free to phrase this as “What next?” or “So what?” or “How shall I respond?” )

Come back to Hatrack, and post one or two paragraphs in response to that question.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
There's a stillness inside. Not unpleasant. A stillness that allows for sitting up straigt, listening to the early a.m. bird chatter, breathing and feeling the path of the air. There is a place of peace. What I need and seek. Whether I call it God or centering or nothing at all, it can be found and entered. At will?
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Reflect, nourish my soul.
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
More JST Psalms:

quote:
42:3 My tears have been poured out unto thee day and night, while mine enemies continually say unto me, Where is thy God?

42:4 When I remember mine enemies, I pour out my soul to thee; for I had gone with the multitude; I also went with them to the house of God, with the voice of joy and praise, with the multitude that kept holyday.

He is calling me to come to His house (and also to pray for my enemies).
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry. I missed day two. I'll combine both into one post.

I believe that God is telling me that I need him. I've been rejecting him for so long. God wants me to trust him.

And I think he wants me to tell someone about Him. This scares me. I'm very new to all of this, and I have no idea how to do it.

Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
How shall I respond to that which does not apply to me? If I ignore the last two lines, it is a window into my own past. An opportunity to reflect upon where I am now in relation to that time.

But aren't we supposed to take the whole into consideration? In whole, I have the reactions of the girl who leans towards believing and the girl who leans against. And even with those two, more than one reaction. That part of her that says, yes, yes I want to know that feeling, the part of her that says why are You taunting me with that which You have never seen fit to grant me? the part that says, it's amazing what people can convince themselves is real, the part that says not having this experience is not the same as it not being real and therefore it can only be filed as the words of others and not sorted into either column. And I think that's where the needle stops. Whether it is me asking or Him asking me to fit this in, the answer is the same. I have never known the presense of God, and someone else telling me about it does not change that.

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Be still, be calm. Stop worrying about the weather, and count on the climate. Let me operate on my own time line.

Dana -- since you're going to be editing the first post each day, in addition to editing the topic, you might insert a link to the current day's instructions, so people don't have to search to find it. Just a thought.

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I thought this whole passage was taking me towards the direction of being able to express my emotions better. I have difficulty being able to actually express vulnerable emotions. I bottle them up and this is unhealthy. (this is as spiritual as I'm going to get in this post)

However last night after sitting on the couch shivering sweating and crying while watching Snow Dogs of all things on TV, (with "tears have been my food" as a refrain in the back of my mind) I'm wondering if I'm actually getting sicker than just a sinus problem and that my current state of mind has nothing to do with emotional vulnerability. What should I probably do? Make an appointment for the doctor. Am I going to? I'm not sure yet. I wish this would get better on its own!

AJ

(Called the doc, got his answering service. I can't make an actual appointment until tomorrow.)

[ March 25, 2004, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 6077

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm... I don't know if I feel a "calling," though I don't know if I would recognize one even if I had one. Again I relate very strongly with the sense of yearning within the passage, which fits closely with both my own renewed interest developing in my relationship with God and a general desire to experience life more fully than I have been and find a greater sense of community. But those are thoughts I brought with me to the passage, and that I see them reflected there only sharpens the emotions I already had.
Posts: 14 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aka
Member # 139

- posted      Profile for aka   Email aka         Edit/Delete Post 
Growing closer to Him, walking in His light, is more important for me right now than anything I can try to accomplish in the world. I am driven to try so hard, I have to make things right in the world, but if I don't make things right first within myself, then I will accomplish nothing of lasting value.
Posts: 5509 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
Be at peace with the journey. Spend less time looking behind me and less effort straining forward. Be grateful. Listen.
Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why are you cast down, O my soul,
and why are you disquieted within me?
Hope in God; for I shall again praise him,
my help and my God.

It reminds me of what is called the "Psalm of Nephi" in the Book of Mormon as he struggles to not hold a grudge against his enemies. Faith is a part of you that doesn't depend on the thoughts or actions of those who don't believe as you do, for faith is a response to God and not mortals.

He is calling me to not be so worked up about what others think (believer or non-believer) about my faith or relationship with God. The important thing is that I am working on getting my "calling and election made sure" in this life or the next (for those who wouldn't understand, i.e. create a relationship and faith in God to the point that its practically assured that I will be with God.)

As an aside: It is really difficult for me to be a part of this, although I want to be. My approach to Scripture has always been what does the text say, rather than what does it mean to me subjectively. Of course, you could say that what I feel the text means is what it means to me. All objective interpretations have a subjective underpinning.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
This doesn't exactly relate to the text, but it's what I've been feeling for the last day or so.

When my faith stopped making sense, I stopped praying. Last night, a situation arose with a friend that made me want to pray for the first time in months. And I did. I think God is telling me that prayer is the first step back in His direction. That the peace that prayer can bring will propel me toward a stronger faith.

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Day Four

Thank you all for participating. It is now time to open the thread for comments and discussion– about the text, about the process, about whatever you like.

Please be gentle with people’s personal stories / comments that were shared as part of this process. No one should feel obliged to defend or even explain them, unless they so choose.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
To me it sounds like the Psalmist has a rough life, being persecuted by his enemies. But communing with God in the temple enabled him to pray for his enemies, much like Enos did in The Book of Mormon. The Psalmist longs to commune with God again.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, I've missed the last couple of days.

The passage just strikes me as a man who remembers a day when he was in a glory from the world and felt his spirit had soared to and within the Lord during that time. Now, as the days of glory had passed, he finds himself feeling less touched by the Lord, less blessed and less worthy, but without realizing that God is with him, just as strongly, at the highs and lows of life, not just when he leads the faithful to the temple.

It hits a chord with me and is reminding me now, that in the depths of our struggles in life, when we feel up against the wall and forgotten that therein is our test of faith. It's not a test of God's attention to us, but of our attention to God.

For me, I've been struggling with this for the past four years. I left my home in the Appalachians to marry my wife and come to live with her. While I didn't have much moneywise there, I had the life of an active small town newspaper editor: everyone knew me whereever I went, I was respected and placed in positions beyond the years of my age would normally have warranted (asked to run for office, being part of the county Economic Development Advisory Board, the Arts Council, Partnership for Children initiative and being able, through my work, to motivate and move people to enact change, all before I was 30 years old). I was a big fish in a small pond.

Since moving to Greensboro, I've seen a much, much bigger pond and become a much, much smaller fish. I've had no luck with newspapers here (including getting mixed up with a start-up that turned out to be a complex con game) and have had a heck of a time just finding decent employment (until recently). After my wife spent a year and a half unemployed and we nearly lost our house and cars (still struggling with this), I do find myself wondering where God went and how those blessings seemed to have faded.

Somewhere, in reading the passage, it just slid back into place. My life had changed but God hadn't. My feelings of abandonment were misguided, and somehow, someway, the desperation is sloughing off and going away. But through it all... heck, I'm just rambling, trying to grab onto the thread and spin it into words, but there's something there.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the words, came as I stood on the back porch and smoked.

You're a fish, don't worry about the pond, just swim, that's all I ask of you.

That's what the passage brought to me in the end.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
For me, I think it is comforting that other people feel the same flux in relation to God that I do. My faith, my determination, my committment all wax and wane but that's not abnormal - apparently even prophets feel that. And it helps to know that I need not despair in these times of loneliness, but I can look forward to the day when I again "praise Him".

[ March 26, 2004, 02:32 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm honestly having a hard time meditating on it with the recent dkw-Bob news.

I guess right now I'm dancing with joy in the streets along with them.

The good news and a lot of sleep does seem to have gotten me out of my recent funk. Sinuses have become more normal too.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I missed yesterday's assignment. Kudos to dkw for being so on-the-ball! She has every reason not to be. [Wink]

I don't know if this passage was written by David or not or when, but it makes me think of David post-Bathsheba. I feel that is one of the most tragic stories in the scriptures. It makes me want to cry when I think of "The Lord is my shepherd...." Again, I don't know if that was written by David, but it just seems like he was so close to God and had such joy in Him, but then he made a fatal error (fatal to Uriah anyway). He was so sad after that. Things were never quite the same for him.

So, assuming that my assumptions are anywhere near correct, I look at this passage and see David missing the days when he was in the Lord's bosom so-to-speak, golden days that would never quite return to him. Very sad.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skrika03
Member # 5930

- posted      Profile for skrika03   Email skrika03         Edit/Delete Post 
Day 3 (plus like 5 days) I feel very uncomfortable knowing or seeking to know what God wants me to do. I guess from this reading I feel like he wants me to draw near unto him. But I feel like I don't know which door to find him behind. I guess it's like that Cat Stevens song "life is just a maze of doors and they all open from the side you're on".
Posts: 383 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm supposed to learn and grow. So that involves being connected, but also being on my own some too. I had a true dream once that showed me not to get too comfortable. What I seek is to be found at the edge, or during the gut wrenching drop. Not safely inside, surrounded by loving family and friends. I have that place always. That is my home. But I'm needed at the edge and on the long long fall. I'm needed and I need to be there. There joy lives.
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.