FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "Get away, you stupid Mexicans!"

Author Topic: "Get away, you stupid Mexicans!"
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
This cracked me up.

Apparently, it is better to stay trapped for six days than to trust the competence of a Mexican.

I mean, it's not like they needed dishes washed or strawberries picked.

I can imagine the local Mexican rescue workers just saying, "To hell with these jerks. Let em rot down there then." Or, at least, that's what I would have been saying.

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Trapped between a flood and a ravenous horde of Mexicans! Next, on FOX!
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone know the nomination procedure for the Darwin Awards? Even if these clowns survive, they deserve to be contenders. [Razz]
Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
I understand that cave diving is pretty risky and that cave diving rescues are doubly so. Maybe they just don't want to put Mexican lives at risk and risk being banned by the government from future dives.

It's a mistake to assume that the locals are stupid when traveling abroad. Why would you visit a country if you thought the people were stupid? Better to stay at home.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Or they may be military personnel that were doing something covert, and are loath to have help from anyone other than members of their own government for that reason.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starla*
Member # 5835

- posted      Profile for Starla*   Email Starla*         Edit/Delete Post 
Or it could be another example of British snobbery.
Posts: 463 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
The article certainly makes it seem like the divers didn't feel like the locals could successfully perform a rescue, and were waiting for the British navy for that reason.
Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why would you visit a country if you thought the people were stupid? Better to stay at home.
But we already know the people at home are stupid.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

[Big Grin]
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I'm not sure Slash. All of the business about not being able to confirm if they were British military or not kind of raised my eyebrows. I'm not saying that it's definitely the case, but I haven't ruled it out.
sndrake
Member # 4941

Noemon, not to rule out conspiracy, but if these bozos were yours, would you want to admit it? [Smile]
Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
On the other hand, maybe they found something incredibly valuable and are trying to get it smuggled back to Britian. . . . [/conspiracy theory]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

[Smile] No sndrake, maybe not.

Maybe they found a chest of cursed coins that have rendered all of them undead.

sndrake
Member # 4941

[ROFL]

(Just got an uncharacteristically vivid visual of the "Night of the Living Dead British Scientist Military or Whatever Guys")

*sigh* I guess you had to be there...

T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd bet they are SBS (British equivalent of SEALs).

The article makes it sound that they are suspicious of the local comptency because it quotes a local Red Cross official who appears to be offended that offers of assistance were refused.

Or they could just be mind-bogglingly stuck up. <shrug>

Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geomancer
Member # 6299

- posted      Profile for Geomancer   Email Geomancer         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha ha, this is very chucklesome considering that my entire paternal relative line is Mexican (making me half-mexican). I think Mexicans should be the best at rescuing people, considering the fact that they (the native Mexicans) work hard all day and live to be 97 years old. My grandpa is 67 and he still can lift me in the air (I'm 16 and 140 lbs)! [Big Grin] Them Britishers can be snobbish about things, even when the choices they deny are the ones that are the best alternatives. [Roll Eyes] Bull-headed monkey craps... [Grumble]
Posts: 40 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

So, has there been any followup news? Have they been rescued? Did they perish?

Or are they still being serenaded by the sound of the scornful laughter of Mexican rescue divers?

Not to mention a few non-Mexican non-divers. [Evil]

[ March 26, 2004, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
They got rescued it was on CNN yesterday, but I was too lazy to bump the thread. THere is apparently quite a diplomatic tiff going on.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/americas/03/26/trapped.cavers/index.html

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
IMO, someone was up to something...
Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Ya' think?
skrika03
Member # 5930

- posted      Profile for skrika03   Email skrika03         Edit/Delete Post 
So the title of this thread wasn't an actual quote from any of the news stories? [No No]
Posts: 383 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Slash, I believe, was summarizing pertinent content in a way that would generate interest.

It sure generated MY interest. [Smile]

Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
They were probably preparing for a "black ops" mission somewhere, and since they don't have extensive cave systems in England, they chose to sneak into a third world country and try to do their mission rehearsal where no one would notice them. I guess the mission is going to have to be scrubbed for a while now.

Ever since James Bond died, MI6 just hasn't been the same.

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skrika03
Member # 5930

Maybe they were training for a mission where they get shrunk really small and injected into someone's lymphatic system. That's one way to make Saddam talk.

I think while no one who is Mexican has been offended by the title, folks have been fairly abusive of the British.

Posts: 383 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

I'd like to think that most of us would have ridiculed the behavior of the divers regardless of their nationality. In fact, I, for one, would have probably felt free to really let loose if they had been Americans.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
So sndrake is an equal-oportunity mocker. That's good.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Yes and no. I tend to be more willing to mock rich people than rich ones. More willing to mock American behavior than cultures I am not a part of.

In general, anyway. It's actually not too far off from the logic Jay Leno used when explaining why he picks on lawyers, doctors and politicians in monologs more than he picks on factory workers, store clerks and waitresses.

[ March 26, 2004, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

I am of Mexican ancestry, so I am probably less sensitive about making a politically correct thread title.
skrika03
Member # 5930

Oh, okay I guess. Is Strongbad's accent supposed to be Mexican?
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the way the British government and the divers can't seem to coordinate their stories at all.

[ March 26, 2004, 06:38 PM: Message edited by: blacwolve ]

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.