FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Conservative Punk

Author Topic: Conservative Punk
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
Conservative Punk
Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It's always a shame to see someone so misusing his youth.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
How are they wasting it?
Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starla*
Member # 5835

- posted      Profile for Starla*   Email Starla*         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this guy missed the point of punk--it was ANTI-establishment. ANTI-capitalism. Leftist.

The reason why there are big punk bands coming out of non-capitalist nations is because of distance and the Telecommunications act, and embargos. There are punk bands in Iran, they're incredibly underground, because that kind of music is banned. North Korea, they're more worried about eating.

I am 22 years old, just like this fruitcake--why can I see these things and he can't?

Posts: 463 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It's possible that, like a lot of Angry Young Republicans (tm) nowadays, he's convinced that the Evil Establishment IS leftist, and thinks that lowering taxes on the rich is socking it to The Man. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I agree with a point made later on in the article: punk is an aesthetic statement. The bedrock of it, frankly, is being rude, and angry, and well, when a movement like this starts, it's going to be populated by people who don't much care for current conventions (who, I would submit, are biased toward leftists). Of course, not everyone will be of these exact political leanings, and in any event, once a scene/lifestyle/aesthetic has been around long enough to be deemed "safe" my the majority, you'll see an influx of all sorts.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
NO, the whole point of punk is to not fit the mold, the norm, etc. Nowadays their is a mold for punk, and that it, young, leftist, environmental, IE Green Day, so really what he is doing is completely in keeping with the punk mentality, which is break the mold, do the unexpected, he is doing what he is expected not to do as a punk, he is fulfilling the true meaning of punk. Punk is ever evolving, if it remained stagnant, then it would in essence be in conflict with itself.

Rhaegar

[ March 23, 2004, 03:57 PM: Message edited by: Rhaegar The Fool ]

Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starla*
Member # 5835

Yeah, but Rhaegar, Republican generally AREN'T evolving.
Posts: 463 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yeah, but Rhaegar, Republican generally AREN'T evolving.
[Roll Eyes]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

Starla* Republicans used to be Liberal, Democrats used to be Conservative, bit of an evolution isn't it?

And Starla* how would you know if republicans evolve? Are you one? Can you read our minds? Are you Spock? Cause if you were that would be cool, but I doubt you are.

Rhaegar

[ March 23, 2004, 04:03 PM: Message edited by: Rhaegar The Fool ]

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I guess no one has ever heard of the whole straight edge thing, eh? Or fascist punks?
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

*smacks forehead*

Punks aren't supposed to be 'leftist' or 'rightist', liberal or conservative, anyway. They're supposed to be anarchists.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

Punks are not supposed to be anything, they are whatever everyone around them is not. So if your in a Communist country, you go Capitalist, If all punks in the States are Liberal, you go Conservative.
Starla*
Member # 5835

Sorry, Rhaegar, I didn't mean to piss anyone off.

Stormy's right---punks are generally "supposed" to be anarchists.

Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

No pro Starla* I just love being able to say Spock in a political post.
Starla*
Member # 5835

But then again, this guy is a capitalist punk in a capitalist country--doesn't that defeat the point?
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

But the people he is type cast with are Liberal, Communistic, Anarchistic etc. So to avoid the type cast, that is the option left.

Rhaegar

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

And let's face it, punk is pretty much dead, anyway.
Starla*
Member # 5835

*shrugs* Too many labels, too little time. I don't know.
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

Storm_Saxon, say not so. It maybe that the mainstream view of todays punk is posers like Simple Plan and their like, but Punk is far from dead. If you recieve the channel FUSE you may take that as proof, if not, consider this, have you ever spent one day in a decent sized city and not seen at least one skater, punk, emo kid? By decent sized over five thousand. In the states that is, and not in Omish Country.

Rhaegar

Tiger Eye
Member # 6353

- posted      Profile for Tiger Eye           Edit/Delete Post 
1. Punk is not dead.
2. This guy is totally missing the point of what he stands for by calling himself a 'punk'. Punk culture was established as a rebellion against authority, the capitalist government, and the hierarchy of the patriarchal arrangement. Punk isn't a wardrobe, as this guy seems to be thinking, its the attitude. Painting your face like a demonic clown, ripping your pants and listening to 'punk' music doesnt make you punk. It's about realizing the truth beyond text-book right-wing propaganda and doing something about it! (Screw society!)

"We hold these truths to be self evident:
number one: George W Bush is not president
number two: America is not a true democracy
and number three: The media is not fooling me."

Hey guys...fyi...my vocabulary is much better than my spelling. It's not that I didn't proofread, it's that I can't spell to save my life. [Blushing]

[ March 23, 2004, 04:30 PM: Message edited by: Tiger Eye ]

Posts: 30 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

Tiger Eye

Maybe wherever you are you hold those truths to be self evident, but where I come from I hold these to be self evident. And I can't speak for other skaters because thats the whole point, each has their own voice.

One: The United States is a Democratic Republic and never claimed to be else.

Two: Bush is the best president we've had in years.

Three: Anyone who tries to say that all punks, skaters, goths etc. think one thing has no idea whatsoever what in the world he is talking about.

Rhaegar

aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Though Eisenhower's moderate positions also riled the party core, Republicans haven't been liberal since TeddyRoosevelt, whose presidential policies were a complete&unpleasant surprise to the Republican political machine. A hundred years is a long time. Before him, the last liberal Republican president was AbrahamLincoln.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Let me drag up my punk youth... okay, it's not that far from the surface.

Both the left and the right are sell outs. They both suck and left folks twisting in the wind.

Now back to a bit of Joe Strummer and the only band that ever mattered...

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
Number one, you guys are acting like this guy is new. The Misfits have been around for quite some time.

Number 2, there are a growing number of punks who are convervative today. Why is this? Because punks are people who rebel against the establishment of their time. For most young punks the government they grew up with was the liberal government under Bill Clinton. So it makes sense that they would be rebelling against liberalism rather than Conservativism like their predecessors in the time of Reagan did.

Number 3, you can play any type of music you want and not fit the stereotype of that kind of musician. What about liberal country singers? How about Christian rap artists? Isn't this the same type of being outside the stereotype? Who says all punk artists have to be anarchists?

--ApostleRadio

Lyrics from a punk song:

I heard someone say I'm headed north
If this thing goes to war
The sleeve of his flack jacket had an American Flag
I guess that's what Ronnie Reagan meant
When he said the best offense is a good defense
Do they sell gas masks at home depot

Sometimes George you gotta be mean
Forget about voters who are hugging trees
You gotta follow whats in your heart.

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

While we're quoting lyrics, here's one of my favorite all time songs. It's from NoFX, and it's called Happy Guy:

He's just a man getting through life the best he can
He's a not a scientist, he programs a computer
Before that he sold cars to pay off his student loans now he receives pity
From his family - his friends say how could he
Turn his back on reason worshipping a God
Finding truth through fear and mind control
He's just a man trying to explain how
He found the word of God could make his life seem less insane
So he shares what he's read, what he understands, it makes
Sense to him, it makes perfect sense
He's never seen the world so clearly
Turn his back on free will - has he lost his mind?
He'd rather kneel down than take charge of his life
And he knows what people think, but it dosen't sway him
He can read the writings on the wall
'Cause he knows how people treat, how they treat each other
A sacrifice to benefit the all
Don't try to judge him, his theologian ideas
His hopes may be false but his happiness is real
Don't try to judge him, he's just a man

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
Here are some from The Decline:

Jerry spent some time in Michigan
A twenty year vacation, after all he had a dime
A dime is worth a lot more in Detroit
A dime in California, a twenty dollar fine

Jerry only stayed a couple months
It's hard to enjoy yourself while bleeding out the ass
Asphyxiation is simple and fast
It beats seventeen fun years of being someones bitch

Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cyruseh
Member # 1120

- posted      Profile for cyruseh   Email cyruseh         Edit/Delete Post 
I always got a little kick, out of growing up as a punk ( but not too punk ) skater and people stereotyping me. Whenever politics came up and I felt my viewpoint was worth sharing, people were surpised to hear my "conservative" thoughts. I dont know why they call it conservative. Most of my thoughts are based on my belief that federal government should be as small as possible... could this be anarchist? I think people should be locally governed, let my community decide how we want to educate our children, not some dip "expert" sitting in an oversized office in washington.

So yeah, I can see how right-wing thought could fit in the a punk thought. Leave us alone, would be the main point. While the republicans seem to be getting in on it, the democrats are the masters of meddling in to everyones lives.

Posts: 879 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Punk is dead.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Are you Spock?
For the record, I am not Spock.

quote:
It's not that I didn't proofread, it's that I can't spell to save my life.
You might try ieSpell. I adore it!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure punk is anti-establishment, but it's also anti-group think. I also don't see a strong environmental component in punk/alternative. Punks are into authenticity. If we are going to have a Yalie frat boy as president, he better be a conservative republican and not some nomially liberal tree hugging sexual harasser like Clinton.

edit: spelling

[ March 24, 2004, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skrika03
Member # 5930

- posted      Profile for skrika03   Email skrika03         Edit/Delete Post 
Darn, can't believe that was my 3000th post. Stupid Windows xp. (I was logged into my kid's profile on Windows)
Posts: 383 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

I hit 300 earlier today and had a fairly similar reaction.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Just delete your post and do it over.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

Good idea Jon Boy. If she does, we'll look silly though, talking about the post that doesn't exist.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, Kat might already be deleting her posts in a random act of malice.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

[ROFL]

Thanks, best laugh I've had all day.

skrika03
Member # 5930

- posted      Profile for skrika03   Email skrika03         Edit/Delete Post 
We saw some punks at Wal Mart today (long story short, I thought I would be able to buy my son some comfortable pants there and they didn't have them. :burns voodoo poppet of Sam Walton: )
So my daughter at first says, out of their earshot, "Their hair looks really weird."

Then we see them again in the parking lot.
Daughter: Look, it's those boys who think it is Halloween.
Son: Where? Where's Halloween? I want to see Halloween!

I ponder how sad it is that punk started, really, close to 30 years ago.

We get in the car and drive to MacDonald's (really, this is not my life, and thus explains why the punks happened to go to the same MacDonald's. In the car I had explained to my daughter that they are called punks and that a lot of people wore their hair weird when I was young. I think my husband had me get rid of the pictures in case this very situation ever arose...

daughter: Look! The punks are at MacDonald's too!

Posts: 383 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

My kids laugh at them and say things like, "Look at their funny hair." I have no choice but to agree 12 inch long orange spikes of hair coming out of someones head does look pretty funny. Especially through a 4 yr old's eyes.

Does anyone else watch Joan of Arcadia on CBS? The Goth/Punk version of the Almighty is my favorite. [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.