FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Baleeted! (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Baleeted!
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Exerpt #1 from the marriage thread:

quote:
Verbatim Member Member # 6319 posted March 15, 2004 11:04 AM Have you ever noticed this balance of cold and warm? Of all the people I know who have found their soulmate (myself included) there is always this constant, it seems like it's the soulmates way to compensate each other Yin Yang Posts: 37 | Registered: Mar 2004 | IP: Logged |

katharina Member Member # 827 posted March 15, 2004 11:06 AM Mack: Okay. *explains* Someone else said the same thing last night.[ March 15, 2004, 11:08 AM: Message edited by: katharina ] Posts: 11154 | Registered: Mar 2000 | IP: Logged |

advice for robots Member Member # 2544 posted March 15, 2004 11:15 AM You get big one-upsmanship points when you can show how romantic you are. At least for guys. Posts: 1725 | Registered: Oct 2001 | IP: Logged |

Verbatim Member Member # 6319 posted March 15, 2004 11:15 AM It's odd to me that some married couple don't like to snuggle.Is it normal or is it an intimacy issue? Posts: 37 | Registered: Mar 2004 | IP: Logged |

zgator Member Member # 3833 posted March 15, 2004 11:17 AM I like to snuggle at night, but my wife is like a furnace. I can only do it for a while before I can't take it anymore. Posts: 2704 | Registered: Jul 2002 | IP: Logged |

katharina Member Member # 827 posted March 15, 2004 11:19 AM It's just more shades of Bennifer. It also makes the people you're torturing for your own benefit feel, well, tortured for your benefit. Not impressive. Posts: 11154 | Registered: Mar 2000 | IP: Logged |

pooka Member Member # 5003 posted March 15, 2004 11:30 AM We were apart for about 4 weeks waiting for my first baby to be born. And then when I was pregnant the second time my husband thought about moving 700 miles away. But I didn't want to go. So he sort of commuted, and we didn't see each other much. I've taken 4 or 5 vacations without him. But it's mostly because he's sort of married to his work.I think it did help me take him less for granted. For a while, anyway. Then I did again for a few years. Now I'm back to appreciating him again. Posts: 2988 | Registered: Apr 2003 | IP: Logged |

Ghost of Xavier Member Member # 2852 posted March 15, 2004 11:32 AM Wait, who is getting tortured?I certainly don't feel like that. I feel tortured reading about the couples who hate eachother, fight all the time, throw dishes, and can't stand the other's touch much less want to have sex with them.If you'd rather read them there are far more of those stories floating around. These ones give me hope that my own future marriage will be equally happy and rewarding. I can see how you would not like them if you are never planning on getting married yourself, but even then, I don't see how hearing other's happiness can hurt you at all.And if you are planning on getting married but just haven't found the right person, then I would still take hope from this. You are still in your early to late 20's right? Where I was (New York), and even where I am now (California), you'd still be considered young to be even thinking about marriage. And who knows, you may meet the man of your dreams on hatrack .But I will delete this if its me being too nosy. I just don't see why this makes you upset. I guess after meeting you I suddenly assume I can ask personal stuff. Correct me if I am wrong ?[ March 15, 2004, 11:55 AM: Message edited by: Ghost of Xavier ] Posts: 71 | Registered: Dec 2001 | IP: Logged |

advice for robots Member Member # 2544 posted March 15, 2004 11:36 AM kat, that last was spoken tongue in cheek. I should have put a smilie on it. I personally don't mean to torture anyone, especially for my benefit.That being said...Why snuggling all night is uncomfortable:1. Way too warm.2. We always end up breathing the same oxygen.3. Anytime either of us budges, we both wake up. And we both tend to toss and turn in our sleep. I absolutely cannot sleep in the same position all night.Intimacy doesn't have much to do with it. It's a pure practicality issue. Yeah, we cuddle, we exchange backrubs, you know...but getting enough sleep is a serious issue that we do not mess with. Posts: 1725 | Registered: Oct 2001 | IP: Logged |

katharina Member Member # 827 posted March 15, 2004 11:38 AM No Xav, that's fine. You beat me at air hockey and we were collectively puzzled by children's toys. You can officially ask me anything.It isn't me. I'm not even bothered - it's some sort of protective instinct kicking in, I think. I know it was bothering some other people, but then, just not reading the thread is a good option. Sort of like it's hard for people who are trying to get pregnant or who just lost a child to hear about someone having their baby. Honest happiness is great and understandable, but the smug kind is too much to ask for people to listen to. I do have to admit that oneupsmanship of any kind sort of annoys me, although I recognize that it's human. For the other current example, see the Nerdity Test thread. But I'm thinking about giving up on this particular fight against human nature.Added: Xav, you're a doll. And afr, gotcha. I understand.[ March 15, 2004, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: katharina ] Posts: 11154 | Registered: Mar 2000 | IP: Logged |

Verbatim Member Member # 6319 posted March 15, 2004 11:39 AM If I am tired I sleep, no matter if I am in a warzone, on a plain, train, boat or car otherwise I read, can't stay awake in bed without reading (with few exceptions, of course) Also as a reminder of our vows I keep the following on the wall, it helps us remember to be nice to each other, and, I read it every time I am mad about something, it helps me stay calm and keep things in perspective.The Family: A Proclamation to the World The First Presidency and Council of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day SaintsWe, the First Presidency and the Council of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, solemnly proclaim that marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God and that the family is central to the Creator's plan for the eternal destiny of His children.All human beings—male and female—are created in the image of God. Each is a beloved spirit son or daughter of heavenly parents, and, as such, each has a divine nature and destiny. Gender is an essential characteristic of individual premortal, mortal, and eternal identity and purpose.In the premortal realm, spirit sons and daughters knew and worshiped God as their Eternal Father and accepted His plan by which His children could obtain a physical body and gain earthly experience to progress toward perfection and ultimately realize his or her divine destiny as an heir of eternal life. The divine plan of happiness enables family relationships to be perpetuated beyond the grave. Sacred ordinances and covenants available in holy temples make it possible for individuals to return to the presence of God and for families to be united eternally.The first commandment that God gave to Adam and Eve pertained to their potential for parenthood as husband and wife. We declare that God's commandment for His children to multiply and replenish the earth remains in force. We further declare that God has commanded that the sacred powers of procreation are to be employed only between man and woman, lawfully wedded as husband and wife.We declare the means by which mortal life is created to be divinely appointed. We affirm the sanctity of life and of its importance in God's eternal plan.Husband and wife have a solemn responsibility to love and care for each other and for their children. "Children are an heritage of the Lord" (Psalms 127:3). Parents have a sacred duty to rear their children in love and righteousness, to provide for their physical and spiritual needs, to teach them to love and serve one another, to observe the commandments of God and to be law-abiding citizens wherever they live. Husbands and wives—mothers and fathers—will be held accountable before God for the discharge of these obligations.The family is ordained of God. Marriage between man and woman is essential to His eternal plan. Children are entitled to birth within the bonds of matrimony, and to be reared by a father and a mother who honor marital vows with complete fidelity. Happiness in family life is most likely to be achieved when founded upon the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ. Successful marriages and families are established and maintained on principles of faith, prayer, repentance, forgiveness, respect, love, compassion, work, and wholesome recreational activities. By divine design, fathers are to preside over their families in love and righteousness and are responsible to provide the necessities of life and protection for their families. Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children. In these sacred responsibilities, fathers and mothers are obligated to help one another as equal partners. Disability, death, or other circumstances may necessitate individual adaptation. Extended families should lend support when needed.We warn that individuals who violate covenants of chastity, who abuse spouse or offspring, or who fail to fulfill family responsibilities will one day stand accountable before God. Further, we warn that the disintegration of the family will bring upon individuals, communities, and nations the calamities foretold by ancient and modern prophets.We call upon responsible citizens and officers of government everywhere to promote those measures designed to maintain and strengthen the family as the fundamental unit of society.[This proclamation was read by President Gordon B. Hinckley as part of his message at the General Relief Society Meeting held September 23, 1995, in Salt Lake City, Utah.][ March 15, 2004, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: Verbatim ] Posts: 37 | Registered: Mar 2004 | IP: Logged |

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why oh why does all of the exciting stuff happen while I'm gone?
Has anyone ever noticed that BannaOJ and katharina are never in the same place at the same time?
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Excerpt #2
quote:
Ghost of Xavier Member Member # 2852 posted March 15, 2004 11:42 AM quote: Has anyone here ever had to live apart from their mate for long periods of time? How did that work for you? And I'm curious about this one myself... Posts: 71 | Registered: Dec 2001 | IP: Logged |

TomDavidson Member Member # 124 posted March 15, 2004 11:46 AM Christy and I had a long distance relationship for the first year, of course, and then had to recently spend three months apart when I moved up to Madison for my new job and she had to stay behind in Champaign-Urbana to finish selling the house; it was NOT fun, but we managed. Posts: 14137 | Registered: May 99 | IP: Logged |

Verbatim Member Member # 6319 posted March 15, 2004 11:49 AM Xavier, it's not easy, you miss your hubby or wife a lot, but, at the same time, it helps you understand how dear he or she is to you and not to take that person for granted. Posts: 37 | Registered: Mar 2004 | IP: Logged |

BannaOj Member Member # 3206 posted March 15, 2004 11:53 AM I've been wanting to dobie this threadBeing Unmarried is Good Or Being Married Good is Lucky(don't have a link though) Posts: 4171 | Registered: Mar 2002 | IP: Logged |

Verbatim Member Member # 6319 posted March 15, 2004 11:55 AM @www.unmarried.orgwho invented such a thing?? [ March 15, 2004, 03:37 PM: Message edited by: Verbatim ] Posts: 37 | Registered: Mar 2004 | IP: Logged |

Amka Member Member # 690 posted March 15, 2004 01:34 PM My husband and I both like to snuggle but then have our 'Okay, need my space' limit. We prefer flinging our limbs across the bed. When we go to sleep we often have one tiny bit touching - a foot or something. That doesn't last long because of the tossing and turning. I haven't read smugness in here. I read a bunch of happy married people, and I'm glad my little shout of joy started that. As to me being cool:*rubs hands together* My plans of hatrack domination are coming to fruition. Posts: 2782 | Registered: Feb 2000 | IP: Logged |

Scott R Member Member # 567 posted March 15, 2004 01:39 PM Oh, Amka-- Just Hatrack?You need to think bigger.:tunes the Implaccable Engine of Ultimate Destruction:'Course, it's not like there's going to be much left to dominate over. . . Posts: 4553 | Registered: Dec 1999 | IP: Logged |

Kama Member Member # 3022 posted March 15, 2004 01:39 PM <-- likes this thread Posts: 2600 | Registered: Feb 2002 | IP: Logged |

Kwea Member Member # 2199 posted March 16, 2004 02:55 AM I haven't noticed too much competition or smugness here, just people who are happy and want to share their happiness with others.When I was getting married, all of my friends were happy for me, but almost all of them had questions or worries about married life, even the ones that were married themselves. I got so sick of hearing all the little jokes and comments that I was relieved to find this thread. I thought I was one of the olny happy married people around! I know that I haven' been married all that long, but for God's sake I waited until I was sure. I was 33 years old, not 18 or 20, and I knew that people change; the trick is to grow together instead of apart.So I am very happy to hear that we aren't alone, and that there is hope for many more years to come. We waited until we were more certain of who we were to get married, and that makes us more grounded than a younger couple. Not that it can't work out if you are younger, just that you have that much more growing to do individually that it is harder, that's all.Kwea Posts: 453 | Registered: Jul 2001 | IP: Logged |

BannaOj Member Member # 3206 posted March 16, 2004 12:21 PM I find this thread intriguing in a way because it basically vindicates to me that aside from religious issues and social acceptability, there is no reason why I should get married, other than for all of the legal perks. Unmarried.org which verbatim found so funny actually is quite useful and has has a lot of suggestions about legal issues for both same sex and opposite sex couples.I'm in an extremely happy non-married relationship and could say exactly the same things as most of the married folks in this thread are saying without the nightmare hassle of a wedding. <and I have yet to see a wedding where the participants aren't stressed out and miserable while pretending to be happy>So I just don't see the point, I really don't think being in a secure happy relationship is dependent on actually being married. As said before, there are a lot of miserable marriages out there too.AJ Posts: 4171 | Registered: Mar 2002 | IP: Logged |

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why oh why does all of the exciting stuff happen while I'm gone?
Stop pretending, AJ. We know you posted on this thread as at least two other people. [Taunt]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Excerpt #3 (I cut out a bunch of dialogue on weddings which is still in the Being Married is Good thread if you look for it)
quote:
Verbatim Member Member # 6319 posted March 17, 2004 11:39 AM Sry Banna if I found unmarried.com funny, but I disagree with media and websites pushing liberal agendas where they say being unmarried is ok (I think it's ok only if you practice abstinence, but that's not their goal, I'm sure) it goes against my belief, I posted this in this thread: The Family: A Proclamation to the World and therefore I believe that if a person isn't married can't access the highest of Glories.If you haven't seen a wedding where people are no stressed then you haven't been to a Mormon's wedding, there I have never seen participants pretending to be happy, if they aren't happy for such an union I am pretty sure they would voice their reasons or they won't participate Posts: 37 | Registered: Mar 2004 | IP: Logged |

katharina Member Member # 827 posted March 17, 2004 11:43 AM quote: I have never seen participants pretending to be happy, if they aren't happy for such an union I am pretty sure they would voice their reasons or they won't participate You'd think, huh?There are stories of all kinds concerning weddings, and that includes temple sealings. I know a few that do exactly - there's a lot of pressure to get married, and there's the canard that any two people can be happy. Any percentages would be pure guessing on both our parts, but there are sometimes very bad reasons to do a very good thing. That includes getting married.Edit: spelling[ March 17, 2004, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: katharina ] Posts: 11154 | Registered: Mar 2000 | IP: Logged |

Verbatim Member Member # 6319 posted March 17, 2004 11:46 AM Based on my experience I have never witnessed such a thing at a Mormon wedding, but I have been to non-LDS weddings though where people looked either bored or angry and all they thought about was food, alcohol and dancing (at the reception).Added:besides you said you're not LDS, how did you get in the Temple? [ March 17, 2004, 11:47 AM: Message edited by: Verbatim ] Posts: 37 | Registered: Mar 2004 | IP: Logged |

katharina Member Member # 827 posted March 17, 2004 11:48 AM I believe you've never encountered anyone in your experience. But there are things beyond your experience, and I have.I said I wasn't LDS? Posts: 11154 | Registered: Mar 2000 | IP: Logged |

BannaOj Member Member # 3206 posted March 17, 2004 11:50 AM Verbatim I posted my original post Precisely because of your "declaration on the familiy" You still don't seem to realize that there are lots of non-LDS folks here, and that we don't think exactly like you do. Oh, and Kat AJ Posts: 4170 | Registered: Mar 2002 | IP: Logged |

TomDavidson Member Member # 124 posted March 17, 2004 11:52 AM Ten bucks says Verbatim's not LDS, guys. Posts: 14137 | Registered: May 99 | IP: Logged |

Verbatim Member Member # 6319 posted March 17, 2004 11:53 AM If you two are unmarried and disagree with the fact that married people are, indeed, happy, then why did you join the thread?The title: "Being Married is Good" says everything.What did you expect? Posts: 37 | Registered: Mar 2004 | IP: Logged |

Bob the Lawyer Member Member # 3278 posted March 17, 2004 11:55 AM Yeah, well 10 bucks says you *are* Tom, you're just too scared to admit it to yourself.Embrace the church Tom. Embrace it! Posts: 1389 | Registered: Apr 2002 | IP: Logged |

katharina Member Member # 827 posted March 17, 2004 11:56 AM *laugh* Okay, now I agree with Tom. No one is that much of an idiot. Posts: 11154 | Registered: Mar 2000 | IP: Logged |

TomDavidson Member Member # 124 posted March 17, 2004 11:56 AM If you send me ten bucks, I'll pretend to be Mormon all you want. Posts: 14137 | Registered: May 99 | IP: Logged |

Verbatim Member Member # 6319 posted March 17, 2004 11:56 AM Tom, I received a black list from some member on this site and, surprise, surprise, all three of you are included in it. Posts: 37 | Registered: Mar 2004 | IP: Logged |

BannaOj Member Member # 3206 posted March 17, 2004 11:57 AM I did not disagree with the people who posted that said they were happy. I'm glad they are happy. My original post said that I was just as happy as they were, while in my unmarried state and since in my relationship I appear to be just as happy and have all the perks that they are describing in this thread, it gives me even less of a reason to get married.AJ<and the sidtrack into my familial details which are exceedingly messy goes decently far back in hatrack history.> Posts: 4170 | Registered: Mar 2002 | IP: Logged |

katharina Member Member # 827 posted March 17, 2004 11:57 AM Tom, but do we get the full package? BoM reading every day, 3 hours of church on Sunday, FHE on Monday, you help people move?Deal! Posts: 11154 | Registered: Mar 2000 | IP: Logged |

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Continuing....
quote:
Bob the Lawyer Member Member # 3278 posted March 17, 2004 11:58 AM Tom, I hope you're not implying I've got some sort of fetish. Posts: 1389 | Registered: Apr 2002 | IP: Logged |

imogen Member Member # 5485 posted March 17, 2004 11:58 AM Edit: this was valid about 8 minutes ago: fast moving thread. At this point, I'd like to ressurect my Kat-respect / mild (very mild ) worship thing.Kat, for every post I see of yours that I think *ugh,I don't agree with that at all* I see about ten more of your posts that make me think, and often change my viewpoint.So Kat. [ March 17, 2004, 12:02 PM: Message edited by: imogen ] Posts: 929 | Registered: Aug 2003 | IP: Logged |

katharina Member Member # 827 posted March 17, 2004 11:59 AM *glows* Thanks Imogen. Edit: Not valid anymore? *sad* Fame and worship are so fickle. I just literally used up my fifteen minutes.[ March 17, 2004, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: katharina ] Posts: 11154 | Registered: Mar 2000 | IP: Logged |

TomDavidson Member Member # 124 posted March 17, 2004 11:59 AM I'm trying to imagine what Black List could POSSIBLY have me, kat, and Anna all on it. Posts: 14137 | Registered: May 99 | IP: Logged |

Verbatim Member Member # 6319 posted March 17, 2004 11:59 AM since when premarital sex is a perk? All you get is free STD's and a broken heart. Posts: 37 | Registered: Mar 2004 | IP: Logged |

BannaOj Member Member # 3206 posted March 17, 2004 11:59 AM Oh goody, I've made the pinacle of success. I've been blacklisted! I couldn't ask for better company! Tom and kat I'll join you in Hell AJ[ March 17, 2004, 12:01 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ] Posts: 4170 | Registered: Mar 2002 | IP: Logged |

Verbatim Member Member # 6319 posted March 17, 2004 12:01 PM All the new members are receiving one black list by this respected member of hatrack, so that they know in advance how to deal with some of the members in here.It was a necessity after lots of members left because of some individuals on this forum.[ March 17, 2004, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: Verbatim ] Posts: 37 | Registered: Mar 2004 | IP: Logged |

BannaOj Member Member # 3206 posted March 17, 2004 12:02 PM Verbatim I've had premarital sex for over four years and I have neither a broken heart nor STDs.Rethink your paradigm.AJ Posts: 4170 | Registered: Mar 2002 | IP: Logged |

Bob the Lawyer Member Member # 3278 posted March 17, 2004 12:02 PM What? I'm not on the list? And here I was hoping OSC-Fan remembered me. Posts: 1389 | Registered: Apr 2002 | IP: Logged |

TomDavidson Member Member # 124 posted March 17, 2004 12:03 PM I'll be even more specific:Not only do ten bucks say Verbatim isn't a Mormon writer, but five bucks says he's an unmarried man and ANOTHER five bucks says he's OSC-fan. Posts: 14137 | Registered: May 99 | IP: Logged |

jexx Member Member # 3450 posted March 17, 2004 12:05 PM Ooh! There's a blacklist?? Cool. I wanna see.Post it. No fair to keep secrets! Anyway, even though I prefer being married to having a non-legalized (but still valid, IMO) union, I have to object to Verbatim's tone. I understand that you think you are coming from a religious standpoint (or you are trying to make the appearance of coming from a religious standpoint, or something, I'm not making much sense here), but I inferred from your post that all non-married sex results in STDs. Is it so unlikely that premarital sex can be a faithful union? Plenty of married partners get STDs from extramarital sex, and plenty of non-married partners are completely faithful.You are being mean for no reason, and I object. Posts: 902 | Registered: May 2002 | IP: Logged |

katharina Member Member # 827 posted March 17, 2004 12:05 PM This has actually made me rethink my prejudices. I believed much too easily that Verbatim was a Mormon girl who got married right out of high school and is just sure that all non-members are two seconds from killing themselves out of despair.Tom: Yeah, looks like OSC-fan. Maybe OSC-fan can be the new Ced.[ March 17, 2004, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: katharina ] Posts: 11154 | Registered: Mar 2000 | IP: Logged |

BannaOj Member Member # 3206 posted March 17, 2004 12:06 PM jexx you rockSo does Amka who started this thread for that matter!AJ Posts: 4170 | Registered: Mar 2002 | IP: Logged |

TomDavidson Member Member # 124 posted March 17, 2004 12:06 PM Whereas, oddly, I've never met a Mormon that stupid and never believed for a second that Verbatim was one. Posts: 14137 | Registered: May 99 | IP: Logged |

beatnix19 Member Member # 5836 posted March 17, 2004 12:07 PM Once again I'm going to rain on your parade! But you are wrong. Marriage is bad! Sorry, another crappy day at my house and all you happy people make me sick. or at least jealous. Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003 | IP: Logged |

rivka Member Member # 4859 posted March 17, 2004 12:07 PM I can think of precisely one recently-departed member who might have kat, AJ, and Tom on a "blacklist." Posting style is pretty similar, too . . . [Edit: or yeah, what Tom said][ March 17, 2004, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: rivka ] Posts: 5638 | Registered: Mar 2003 | IP: Logged |

Bob the Lawyer Member Member # 3278 posted March 17, 2004 12:08 PM Ok Ok, I'm going to hate myself for saying this, but I think it's time to leave verbatim alone and get back to the original point of this thread.People were enjoying it, after all. Posts: 1389 | Registered: Apr 2002 | IP: Logged |

Storm Saxon Member Member # 3101 posted March 17, 2004 12:09 PM quote: Tom, I received a black list from some member on this site and, surprise, surprise, all three of you are included in it. Le huh? Posts: 6692 | Registered: Feb 2002 | IP: Logged |

imogen Member Member # 5485 posted March 17, 2004 12:09 PM AJ, me too. Except my time frame is almost 7 years. Looking back, I wouldn't encourage teenagers to take the same steps as I did at the same age. But I think my approach was healthy. One relationship lasted 3 years and was fantastic for that point in my life.The other (and my latest) has lasted almost 3 1/2 years, and I feel quite confident in saying that this relationship is it. Check on us in 40 years time, and we'll still be together. I understand pre-marital sex isn't for everyone. But in my case, I have no problems with it. Posts: 929 | Registered: Aug 2003 | IP: Logged |

BannaOj Member Member # 3206 posted March 17, 2004 12:10 PM Speaking of marriage, does anyone have any ideas on how to do any sort of long distance wedding shower? I am the maid of honor and can only make it to the wedding location three days before the wedding, which puts a distinct glitch in things.AJ Posts: 4170 | Registered: Mar 2002 | IP: Logged |

BannaOj Member Member # 3206 posted March 17, 2004 12:16 PM just to let everyone know, I thought it an act of prudence to save this thread to my hard drive in its original state.AJ Posts: 4171 | Registered: Mar 2002 | IP: Logged |

Storm Saxon Member Member # 3101 posted March 17, 2004 12:17 PM Ooooh. I'm so curious if Verbatim was serious. Posts: 6694 | Registered: Feb 2002 | IP: Logged |

Verbatim Member Member # 6319 posted March 17, 2004 12:18 PM They issued a warning to all new members to avoid interacting with members who derail the threads and accuse the new members of being old trolls to slander them, in such a way the old members ensure they are the only ones around and allow only those who already know them and agree with their ideas to be part of the forum. Posts: 38 | Registered: Mar 2004 | IP: Logged |

jexx Member Member # 3450 posted March 17, 2004 12:19 PM I think you rock, too, AJ.(edited to add that AJ rocks extra for saving the thread on her hard-drive. You are a smart cookie!)As far as long-distance wedding showers go, I'll have to think up some ideas for you. I have participated in many on-line baby showers, but they were all for on-line communities, and not IRL people. Are the wedding shower participants on-line sorts of people? You could do a 'virtual shower'...webcams and such...That's all I have. Sigh. Sorry.And also: Yay! This thread is fun!PPS: beatnix, I'm sorry life sucks right now It will get better, I promise.edited to add: Verbatim that's just silly. You are a silly person. If you were sincere, you would stop pussy-footing around and just post the darned email/IM/whatever instead of being all cryptic and such. Besides, we have a LOT of newcomers on this board recently, and most of the genuine ones have been welcomed and 'you rock'd.[ March 17, 2004, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: jexx ] Posts: 904 | Registered: May 2002 | IP: Logged |

Storm Saxon Member Member # 3101 posted March 17, 2004 12:19 PM I don't want to derail the thread, but did you get this warning in an email or in chat or what? Posts: 6694 | Registered: Feb 2002 | IP: Logged |

imogen Member Member # 5485 posted March 17, 2004 12:20 PM AJ - Do you have to organise the wedding shower, or is it just sending a gift?I guess a gift you can do easily... various online services will deliver great presents amd gift hampers (I got two from my Mum for my 21st ) But given you are the maid of honour... Hmm. Can you delegate?Can you have a very late wedding shower? Combine it with a hen's night - have a nice afternoon, pamper youselves, then go out for cocktails somewhere glamourous - it could be fun. Posts: 930 | Registered: Aug 2003 | IP: Logged |

TomDavidson Member Member # 124 posted March 17, 2004 12:20 PM That's a hard one, AJ. Perhaps you could conflate the shower with a bachelorette's party? Posts: 14138 | Registered: May 99 | IP: Logged |

katharina Member Member # 827 posted March 17, 2004 12:20 PM <sorry for derailment>So no one is allowed to post unless they agree with Tom, BannaOJ and me? All three of us? *highly amused*Poor, poor newbies.[ March 17, 2004, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: katharina ] Posts: 11155 | Registered: Mar 2000 | IP: Logged |

Occasional Member Member # 5860 posted March 17, 2004 12:21 PM I am a little confused. Why would someone fake, "the best Mormon in the world?" if they weren't LDS? On the other hand, I do agree with Tom that there are not too many LDS members of the "ultra-orthodox" that would even go as far as Verbatim does in projecting a "us" better than "them" stereotype. Those that do would not even BE here.Its making my head spin.As for marriage. It has its good days, it has its bad days; just like any other human interaction. Posts: 176 | Registered: Oct 2003 | IP: Logged |

Verbatim Member Member # 6319 posted March 17, 2004 12:25 PM I received it through e-mail. Posts: 39 | Registered: Mar 2004 | IP: Logged |

rivka Member Member # 4859 posted March 17, 2004 12:25 PM How about if we disagree with all three? Can we post then? Posts: 5640 | Registered: Mar 2003 | IP: Logged |

PSI Teleport Member Member # 5545 posted March 17, 2004 12:25 PM I need to make a point of saying something about the "three" that were mentioned.They have offended me too, but only because they are the ones least likely to tolerate or enforce stupidity. I have also offended them. Get to know them and you'll realize they are all pretty decent human beings.If you STAY on their bad sides, I would re-evaluate the style of your posting. (Not necessarily your opinions.) Posts: 1356 | Registered: Aug 2003 | IP: Logged |

Zalmoxis Member Member # 2327 posted March 17, 2004 12:26 PM I'm on the grey list.It's especially evident now because I desperately need a haircut.Oh, and, yep, being married is good. Posts: 2070 | Registered: Aug 2001 | IP: Logged |

TomDavidson Member Member # 124 posted March 17, 2004 12:26 PM Wow. So somebody on Hatrack is able to psychically divine the E-mail addresses of anonymous posters. Anyway, let's get back to the topic and ignore the troll, 'k? *grin* Posts: 14139 | Registered: May 99 | IP: Logged |

jexx Member Member # 3450 posted March 17, 2004 12:27 PM I made a new post so we could stop derailing Amka's thread.Black List Post Back to partnership, and how much we enjoy it! Woohoo! Posts: 907 | Registered: May 2002 | IP: Logged |

BannaOj Member Member # 3206 posted March 17, 2004 12:27 PM Yeah trying to agree with all three of us on any given topic could make your head pop like a squished grape!AJ Posts: 4173 | Registered: Mar 2002 | IP: Logged |

BannaOj Member Member # 3206 posted March 17, 2004 12:30 PM *honestly doesn't remember ever being offended by PSI*PSI, I apologize if I offended you as well, I never, ever intended to. (When I do intend to deliberately offend, it's normally pretty blatant.)AJ Posts: 4173 | Registered: Mar 2002 | IP: Logged |

PSI Teleport Member Member # 5545 posted March 17, 2004 12:30 PM My hubby pats my head before he falls asleep and says, "I'm so glad you're my wife." And he makes me coffee every morning even though I don't wake up to drink it, and it's cold by the time I do. That's how much he loves me.And I drink it. That's how much I love HIM. AJ- I've never offended you? Haven't I, in almost any thread about pre-marital sex? Maybe my posts aren't well-written enough to offend anyone. And if you offended me it's really only because you called me on something stupid I said. I HATE that. [ March 17, 2004, 12:32 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ] Posts: 1357 | Registered: Aug 2003 | IP: Logged |

Verbatim Member Member # 6319 posted March 17, 2004 12:32 PM rivka, just look at the thread, have you noticed how many times their posts follow each other? It's a pattern.Jexx, I didn't mention all of them, it's a long list and the fact I received it in a e-mail it's because I e-mailed a member, so this member had my e-mail address and must have passed it to one who is issuing these warnings. Posts: 41 | Registered: Mar 2004 | IP: Logged |

rivka Member Member # 4859 posted March 17, 2004 12:35 PM *snort* Oh, there's a pattern all right. Posts: 5642 | Registered: Mar 2003 | IP: Logged |

TomDavidson Member Member # 124 posted March 17, 2004 12:36 PM Seriously, Verbatim, as amusing as all this is, this is a perfectly good thread -- so would you mind moving over to another thread to lie about yourself?Otherwise, I'm just going to have to keep begging people to ignore you. Posts: 14140 | Registered: May 99 | IP: Logged |

BannaOj Member Member # 3206 posted March 17, 2004 12:37 PM To disagree, even profoundly, does not create offense, at least in my mind. I take very little personally in an argument like that. To me even the use the word argument does not necessarily connotate offense. It means a hashing out of ideas, and seeing where everyone stands.A lot of this has to do with the way I was raised, where argument/discussion was the normal form of comunication and if you took it personally you would have spent all day every day bawling.AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

That is pretty much it, I didn't save the posts from the blacklist thread because they weren't as evidentiary.

and I *TOLD* Verbatim I was saving the thread too.

Well no one said Trolls were known for intelligence.

AJ

[ March 23, 2004, 05:33 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

skrika03
Member # 5930

- posted      Profile for skrika03   Email skrika03         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone needs to start a "how to pretend to be LDS" thread.
Posts: 383 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, too bad he never played a mafia game.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dante
Member # 1106

- posted      Profile for Dante           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You're a sick, brilliant man, Alighieri.
I never claimed to be anything else. Well, except dead sexy.
Posts: 1068 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Something cool is that MS Word saved it with original UBB formatting and most smilies, not just the text. It didn't come through on the cut and paste back. But I can e-mail it if anyone wants it.

AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

bump in case anyone missed the first thread and actually wants to plow through the exerpts I posted from it.

AJ

St. Yogi
Member # 5974

- posted      Profile for St. Yogi   Email St. Yogi         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think anyone wants to suffer through more of that. It's good that you posted it though, just so we have a permanent record of Verbatim being a jerk.
Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Yeah I wasn't intending for people to read through every hairy detail. But I posted it in that detail so that it was obvious it was genuine.

AJ

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think there's any ambiguity concerning the intents and character of Verb-fan (TM someone very clever).

I loved that you saved it. It makes my little OCD heart glow.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
AJ:

bump in case anyone missed the first thread

Seems like I once heard some good advice about sleeping dogs...

...and now maybe I'll take a bit of that advice myself.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.