FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Why resume...? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Why resume...?
ladyday
Member # 1069

- posted      Profile for ladyday   Email ladyday         Edit/Delete Post 
In spite of this thread appearing to be mostly about IQs and education and whatnot, I think that knowing people's backgrounds actually helps our discussions become less academic and more human. Not that purely academic discussions aren't interesting, but I think the heart of this board is people just talking from their own places.

quote:
Ralph Waldo Emerson once said, "Every man I meet is in some way my superior." A corrolary to this statement is the fact that everyone we meet is in some way our inferior.
Mmm...my mother once said that "life isn't fair." That statement just sounds too close to fair to be true. It looks like the same thinking that leads some to believe that pretty people can't be smart, that smart people cannot be successful with the opposite sex...

Sort of reminds me of a Frasier episode where Frasier meets a man who he feels is, in every way, his better. If I remember correctly, he works through it, but at the end discovers the one thing he can do better than this other man. It doesn't always work out that way though. Life isn't fair.

Speed, I do have to say that I like what you took from the quote and your own experiences. I just wasn't feeling the Emerson quote, not disagreeing with your take on it at all.

Posts: 1676 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexa
Member # 6285

- posted      Profile for Alexa           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Speed,

Nice quote.

Wow, everyone, I stand corrected. Perhaps most vredentials are not about tooting the horn, but rather, to place quotes in perspective.

I must say, I enjoy the discussions that go on here.

Posts: 1034 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Speed...nice post.

quote:
I don't want to mention names for fear of leaving anyone out, but I've met people here that have taught me about visual art, music, language and linguistics, logic, writing, medicine, psychology, politics, computers, popular culture, economics and a host of other subjects
Hint...you left out PUNS!!!

[Wink]

mack, if it was up to me, you'd have your PhD already.

So, have you applied yet? What's next?

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Not quite sure yet.

I need to contact faculty at the schools where I might want to go and see if they're interested in my research.

I need to take the GRE.

I need to find a professor at a college around here that will agree to help me with my proposal and pilot for an independent study in experimental.

I need to take stats.

*sigh*

Anyway...interested in looking at my proposal draft and neuro notes thus far?

I found a NIMH database that you can request datasets from previous fMRI studies. [Big Grin]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure thing! Send the proposal to:

bscopatz@data-nexus.com

Stats is not a problem. I'm really bad at math and considered a pretty decent statistician in that I can explain what the results mean and usually run the software packages without committing gigantic blunders.

If you go for understanding the concepts behind the statistical tests, and you understand experimental methodology, you'll be far ahead of most people in the field.

Knowing how to actually calculate the statistics is less important. You might even be able to con a friend into running the stats for you. hint hint.

<have stats package and I love crunching numbers>

Whee!!!

edit to add: We loves giant data sets!

[ March 31, 2004, 10:03 AM: Message edited by: Bob_Scopatz ]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Geez, Bob, I should've hired you! You don't TEACH stats, do you? I had to coerce a co-worker into doing an introductory SAS class because there was a lot of interest here among the lab technicians. He seems pretty excited about doing it now, though, and he's probably going to do a monthly lesson as people suggest application ideas. I'm pretty proud of getting that set up for us. [Smile]
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob--sent. [Smile]

And I DO understand the principles underlying stats. We've started that and learning SPSS (isn't hard thus far) in research methods.

But stats is a prerequisite for grad school admission. As is experimental.

Must find PhD who likes my idea...

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.