FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ooooo . . . shiny! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ooooo . . . shiny!
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
So, for the last week I’ve been wearing Bob’s ring. This is a good thing, as I’ve pretty much agreed to wear Bob’s ring for the rest of my life, but this particular ring is not just Bob’s in the sense that he bought it, but also in the sense that he’s worn it, and it’s sized to fit his hand. Which means it’s been tied to my finger with transparent nylon thread so it can’t fall off. (Considering that the first time I lost it was only two hours after he gave it to me, this seemed like a wise precaution.)

But today I went to Ames to pick up the ring that Bob and I chose together. And I’m very glad it was finished today. Because while I’m sad that I had to go pick it up myself and that he isn’t here to put it on my finger, I’m ecstatically happy to know that exactly one year from today he’ll be putting a matching band on my finger, and I’ll be putting one on his.

And this one doesn’t need thread to tie it on.

Love you, sweetie. Happy -1 year anniversary!

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice. That's so cool. [Smile]
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
hmmm, looks awful crackerbox-ery to me.

Enjoy your shiney in good health. Gratz again.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoah! [backs up from screen] I was VERY close to your hand for a moment there.
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Very pretty! [Smile]

Dan and I had a little party with some friends on our -1 year anniversary. We got little bride and groom pins and a sign on the table and everything. It was a very fun evening. [Smile]

Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
What type of stone is that?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Very very pretty ring! Isn't it exciting?!

I wore mine around on my thumb the first week before we had it sized. I was SO surprised that I didn't manage to drop it or lose it.

[ April 02, 2004, 05:27 PM: Message edited by: Christy ]

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooooh, that's nice!

Blue topaz? Are there diamonds that blue?

[ April 02, 2004, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: skillery ]

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I almost thought Aquamarine, but it probably is a blue topaz. Very nice, dkw. Mabruuk!!!
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh! Shiny!

*runs off*

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, there are diamonds that color, but their price is beyond the reach of mortals.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

It’s a sapphire. I didn’t want a diamond for various reasons, so we had to wait until the jeweler could find a good quality sapphire in the size we needed for the setting. [Smile]
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

What are your reasons for not wanting a diamond? I know what *my* reasons would be...

I kinda wish that I had not bought a diamond for my wife. But I really wanted to pick her ring out myself, and a diamond seemed a safe bet.

What I would *really* like is to have given her a synthetic diamond. But they weren't available commerically at the time.

beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Very pretty! Nice sapphire. Blue and gold.

I have always liked the idea of emeralds as part of an engagement ring. I would love someday to replace the two side diamonds on my ring with little emeralds. (Porter probably didn't know that. Funny how much he and I learn about each other on Hatrack!)

Edit: Oh, and diamond is my birthstone. Kinda cool that my engagement ring has my birthstone.

[ April 02, 2004, 05:51 PM: Message edited by: beverly ]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
mph...
You can get a diamond in that color for less than an arm and a leg... more like a finger... if it's irriadiated. Indeed, a natural blue diamond would take a sizeable chunk of change (unless you are the U.S. Government or a British Royal).

That is a beautiful ring, dkw. You two have nice taste. A non-diamond, colored gemstone is actually very European (or so I've heard). That has a nice light cornflower blue color to it. It reminds me of a Ceylon Sapphire. The sapphires that come from that area of the world have that similar color. (I dabble in gemology.)

Is that yellow gold or rose gold?

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

It’s yellow gold, and the sapphire is from Sri Lanka. It’s actually a little darker than it looks in the picture, but very clear. You can’t really tell from that angle, but there’s a twist in the setting under the stone. We thought that something just a little twisted was appropriate for the two of us. [Big Grin]

mph: the reasons had to do both with aesthetics and ethics. Among other things, I’m annoyed by the way diamonds are marketed, particularly the idea that an engagement ring must be a diamond.

I never thought I’d want an engagement ring at all – I’m not really a jewelry kind of person, so I thought a plain wedding band would be plenty. But I must admit it’s kind of nice having something to touch and look at to remind me that my far away fiancé is not just a figment of my imagination. (Like I ever had this good of an imagination!)

[ April 02, 2004, 07:02 PM: Message edited by: dkw ]

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! I too wish I could've been there to put it on your finger, but I'm so glad they had it done today. Those guys in that shop are wonderful to work with.

:resists urge to give a plug:

So, when do I get my other ring back? Its value to me has gone up immeasureably in the past week.

Dana sent me some additional photos today and I showed the around the office. This is so amazing. To find a person like her, and have her actually love me! I'm just ready to burst, you know. But instead of bursting, I'm just going to say that she is fun to shop with and fun to shop for, and fun to be around, and fun to think about, and fun to write e-mail to, and fun to talk to, and just the best person I have ever known. So, the fact that 364 days from now we will pass from fiances to a pair-bonded couple with all that that entails both fiscally and emotionally...well, I just have to say that I couldn't even imagine how happy I already am, so that particular day is going to be tough to top.

You are everything to me, Dana, and I intend to spend the rest of my life (plus whatever portion of eternity is allotted to us) thinking up new ways to show you how much you mean to me.

Thank you for being you!!!

[Kiss]

And happy negative first anniversary!

[ April 02, 2004, 07:05 PM: Message edited by: Bob_Scopatz ]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

You want to replace those with emeralds? I almost replaced them with sapphires myself, but I chickened out.
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
You guys are so cool. [Smile]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I have nothing intelligent to say about the ring, so I shall just say this... Ooooo... It's a sparkly... O.O

It's really beautiful, dkw. I can't wait!! [Big Grin]

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Bob and Dana, you are too cute for words.

Porter, [Wink]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Lovely!

Dana, enjoy being (temporarily) left-handed. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations to the both of you! I think the ring is stunning!

Bob you old smoothy... [Wink]

[ April 02, 2004, 08:47 PM: Message edited by: Alucard... ]

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
[Hat]

Actually, a truly smooth person would've unobtrusively found out what kind of rings & stones his beloved liked, then found a way to get her exact ring size. And then had the thing made and presented it as a surprise.

A la Dan_Raven, while looking up at the stars...

My ability to plan such a thing AND keep it a secret is practically nil. Especially where Dana is concerned. Heck, I even spoiled the surprise of the letter in which I asked her to start dating me. I did that by calling her and asking if she'd seen the letter yet. Then proceding to tell her what was in it. By the time she actually got the letter, the only surprise left was what kind of stamp I'd used on it.

The engagement wasn't really a surprise given that we'd already set a date and selected a minister. I even told her in advance how I would propose.

I'm bad at this.

I even ruined one of her surprises. Fortunately, I have such a bad memory for details that I'll still be surprised when the event actually happens. Not only that, I'll probably have a deja vu experience with it. [Big Grin]

But I do have to say that I make it a rule never to buy a woman jewelry without knowing first that it is a style that she will like. I mean, an engagement ring she'd probably wear anyway because of what it symbolizes, neh? But what if she'd really had this vision of what would be the perfect ring and you could've gotten her that? Or, worse yet, you go shopping for wedding bands and she spends the whole time looking at different settings for engagement rings? [Eek!]

Well, not really. But what if she secretly wished that you'd gotten her that other one, and you didn't?

So, I figure the best way is to have a temporary ring and then go shopping! I mean, you get to show how much you like shopping, as long as it is with HER! and you have the pleasure of knowing that she chose the ring that will be a symbol of your mutual committment. Just like she chose you!

Okay, it's all backwards from tradition. But I don't care. It makes more sense to me this way.

And if you worry about the romance of it, well, then I guess I have to say that maybe what's needed is other outlets for romance besides jewelry purchases.

I mean, buying jewelry is great, but the cool thing is that she comes away knowing that you are thoughtful and have a sense of who she is, not just that everything reflects your personal style, right?

Anyway, I guess I'm debating MYSELF here. But I did it this way, and guess what???? dkw is still marrying me! So either she's as bad at this as I am, or she sees beyond the rough exterior to inner smoothie that is me! [Kiss]

Or, she just doesn't care about such things. In which case I'm only doing this to impress myself.

[ROFL]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Bob, I think you are a very genuine and thoughtful person. That is worth far more than a guy who can keep the surprise. [Smile] I'm sure Dana agrees.
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I inherited my great grandmother's engagement ring when she died. One of the cool parts is that it didn't need resizing. I have the same size fingers she did.

Though, if a guy wanted to propose to me, I'd want that to be my engagement ring, because it's simple, is an heirloom, and were I to choose one, it's what I'd chose anyway.

And since it's small...I don't get distract---Oh! Shiny!

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Actually, a truly smooth person would've unobtrusively found out what kind of rings & stones his beloved liked, then found a way to get her exact ring size. And then had the thing made and presented it as a surprise.
*Coolly breathes on fingernails an polishes them on his shirt, remembering how he did just that.*

[Evil]

But your proposal was much more spontaneous (in the words you used, not the setting) than mine, and very cool in and of itself. And the ring is beautiful.

Dagonee
*We went with a sapphire in bridged setting on a band with celtic triangle knotwork.

[ April 02, 2004, 10:42 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Dagonee-it, that's just beautiful!

[Big Grin]

larisse
Member # 2221

Oooo... Dag... that does sound beautiful. Does that mean the Celtic knotwork is throughout like an eternity band with the sapphire set above it? What was the cut on the sapphire? What metal did you use? I know... I know. So many questions, but we don't have the benefit of pictures. Details are fun. Details are good for shiny things.
Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! What a beautiful hand! [Smile] And such a lovely ring. Props to your non-diamond engagement ring. And Props to Bob for his dear romantic speeches that I can tell are heartfelt off my computer screen.

We love you guys, Congrats again!! [Big Grin]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oooo... Dag... that does sound beautiful. Does that mean the Celtic knotwork is throughout like an eternity band with the sapphire set above it?
The knotwork goes around the entire band, but the band is not closed - instead it's joined by a bridge of metal with a basket setting, and the ends of the band form shoulders around the stone. Here's an example, although ours differs in some details.

quote:
What was the cut on the sapphire? What metal did you use?
It was a 1.4 carat deep blue oval cut sapphire, set so the long direction runs across the finger, not up and down it. The band is platinum. One thing I loved about not getting a diamond was how much more ring you could get for the same price.

quote:
I know... I know. So many questions, but we don't have the benefit of pictures. Details are fun. Details are good for shiny things.
I'd have posted a picture if I could figure out how to get the macro mode working on my digital camera.

The only explicit instruction I received was, "No diamonds." My investigative technique was to look at catelogs and display cases and ask her what she liked and didn't like, and why. This included all types of jewelery, not just rings. Then I did a lot of googling until I found something I liked that I thought went well with what she had shown me. Then I found a local jeweler to do it for half price [Smile] .

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Dag, that ring sounds cool. And congrats on the extra-smooth surprise.

quote:
By the time she actually got the letter, the only surprise left was what kind of stamp I'd used on it.
Frog stamp. Very cute.

While the “official” proposal in the library was wonderful, I think the actual proposal was an e-mail I got beginning, “Okay, I'm not coming up there for a date anymore. I'm coming up to figure out how short an engagement we can have and still maintain your reputation in the community.” And then laying out various options for where we could live. With pros and cons for each. [ROFL]

Ya gotta love a guy who can write a good project proposal.

mackillian
Member # 586

Wow.

I want to write a story about your romance. *grin*

Hey, what do ya'll think of claddagh rings, anyway?

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Beautiful ring, dkw.

<insert thumbs-up smilie here>

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

Ooooo..... Ahhhhh.... Pretty!

That's for both rings.

Dag... I've always liked the idea of east to west setting on oval stones. And, yay to platinum!

Koodos on how you went about finding the right ring. You are a very smart shopper.

Same to dkw and Bob_S except pluralized. [Big Grin]

Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, that is really pretty!

And Mack, What about them?

[ April 03, 2004, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: Dragon ]

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SillyMe
Member # 6395

- posted      Profile for SillyMe   Email SillyMe         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh, Dana! I love it!

I love that part of the UM wedding cermomy that says the rings are "an outward and visible sign of an inward and spiritual grace." I know they're talking about the wedding band, not the engagement ring, but STILL......what a great symbol, and like you said, a nice physical reminder of your beloved. [Smile]

Posts: 6 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
My hubby and I have titanium wedding rings, and they are cool. And here's a secret.
Shhhhh
Ludosti and slacker have the same ones.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

lol. LOVE the titanium rings. they're lighter, stronger, and actually feel "softer."

Dag, just wondered what people think of 'em.

plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, and you can use them to keep doors jammed open in underwater structures. WAY handy! [Smile]
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie
Member # 4043

- posted      Profile for Pixie   Email Pixie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It’s kind of nice having something to touch and look at to remind me that my far away fiancé is not just a figment of my imagination. (Like I ever had this good of an imagination!)

Lord, do I know how that feels!

I don't have a ring yet but I've been wearing Paul's dog-tags since he left for Iraq and I know how great it is to always have that little reminder of the tangibility of a person you've mostly known only by words and voice. I really am so happy for you both. [Smile]

Posts: 1548 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

quote:
I want to write a story about your romance. *grin*
I first read that as "write a short story..." and was highly offended! [Eek!]

We're thinking more of a long-running saga, or an epic poem...but if you feel like you can capture it in a mere "story"...go for it.

[Razz]

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Sweet bling, yo. [Wink]

I've been spending too much time with the middle schoolers. It really is a beautiful ring.

Let's lay off the diamonds, though. My engagement ring is diamond (3 stones in a gold Tiffany setting - made in 1890, one of the first rings to be made w/ that setting) and it's very pretty. So there. [Razz]

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'm for the diamonds too. Though I do love the sapphire, dkw.

My newly acquired ring ( look here [Big Grin] ) is a single brilliant cut round diamond in a white gold tiffany setting (on a yellow gold band). Tony designed it - and I love it!

We had a discussion before hands though so he knew my general likes/dislikes. And he talked to lots of jewellers about clarity and colour.

It's very shiny. I spent the whole car trip back to Perth (3 hours) mesmerised by the sparkle... ooh, shiny! [Smile]

[ April 04, 2004, 04:06 AM: Message edited by: imogen ]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I think personal taste should decide the matter, I believe. And that can include considerations about all sorts of issues.
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Lovely ring, Dana. [Smile]

Bob, if it is any comfort to you, my husband and I shopped for my engagement ring together also. That was fine with me - I am sort of non-traditionalist and didn't expect any dramatice or romantic presentation of the engagement ring. [Wink]

I picked the ring up myself, two days before the wedding, while my mother sat in the double parked car(in case a cop told her to move it) in the diamond district in NYC. [Razz]

**Ela**

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Heavens, I didn’t mean to be critical of any one else’s diamonds! I’m glad y’all like your rings.

I keep looking at mine and grinning. I think the only thing that could make my smile any bigger is if the hand wearing the ring was in the hand of the guy who bought it.

31 days.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Ela, I love the diamond district in NYC...

dkw...523064

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, I completely agree.

I didn't mean to sound so defensive about diamonds - I didn't really think they were being attacked. It's just my ring is so new and shiny that I'm a little obsessed.

I'll get over it. [Smile]

I do love the sapphire rings though - maybe for an anniversary present? (And our bank balance says... no. [Smile] )

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"Though, if a guy wanted to propose to me, I'd want that to be my engagement ring, because it's simple, is an heirloom, and were I to choose one, it's what I'd chose anyway."

My ring was my mother's, who died when I was a baby. My husband's ring is his grandfather's. We saved a ton of cash, I got a diamond WAY bigger than I would have, and the sentimental value is through the roof. Plus, the diamond was one which was smuggled out of Germany in World War 2 by the jeweler my dad bought it from.

Dana and Bob, my first official engegement ring was this cheap-a** silver-jade number which Steve bought me at a Grateful Dead show. Well, I guess t was the pre-engagement ring.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.