FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » On dissent in appreciation threads (formerly the BALEETED thread) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: On dissent in appreciation threads (formerly the BALEETED thread)
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
The last post I tried to get in was:

quote:
Rather than delete this thread, would you prefer if I delete the posts that became personal (not my opinion of the show, which I think was an appropriate post)?

In other words, we can delete the personal argument, and you can still have your thread abou the show.

In any case, I reckon it's too late for that now. But I wanted to make my post.

-o-

I hate it when threads I have posted to get deleted. I put a lot of thought into my response to you. I opened up about my own past anxieties, and my feelings about Hatrack as well. Oh, well.

-o-

And now, to give this thread a topic of its own. Tell me, Hatrack: if somebody starts a thread saying they like something, is it wrong to post in the thread that you don't? I know there are people on both sides of this issue. Can we discuss it?

Is it inappropriate for me to post in a cigar-love thread that I find ciar smoke objectionable?

Is it wrong for me to post in a Strong Bad thread that I don't find Strong Bad funny?

Clearly, I don't think so. I'm curious to know what the consensus is, and people's reasons for their beliefs.

[ April 22, 2004, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: lcarus ]

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmmm... well I think the Mods are trying to prevent flame wars and such... keeping civility by only allowing attacks on the subject and/or idea of the post, not on the person posting it... However, I don't mind some personal criticism, such as critiquing a person's writing style or how they form their argument.

[ April 21, 2004, 02:03 PM: Message edited by: Telperion the Silver ]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
<-- feels dumb.
which thread got deleted?

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I love baleting threads.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strong Bad
Member # 6471

- posted      Profile for Strong Bad   Email Strong Bad         Edit/Delete Post 
*pours glowstick in Icarus's Mountain dew*

So which thread got deleted? Anyway, I don't see anything wrong with posting an opposing opinion, just so long as it's done respectfully.

Posts: 41 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what thread you are talking about. Don't know if it would matter if I did know. My mom always called pure contrariness "a dog in the manger". Kind of like a fly in the soup, except most flies don't get in the soup because they enjoy it.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
First, thread-deleters are evil. It shows a blatant disregard for others who have posted on the thread. I find this far more objectionable than the contents of almost any imaginable post, mainly because it's non-correctable and destructive of trust.

Second, if someone posts that they like somthing, posts from other people explaining why they don't like it seem perfectly on topic.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

"the show" suggests a TV series. Was it Star Gate or Babylon 5? I think I showed great restraint in not flaming the Star Gate thread. Since it mainly came up right after I was saying how much Star Gate stinks in another thread.

P.S. If you didn't like the show, aren't you happy that the thread was deleted?

[ April 21, 2004, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
mind if I ask what "baleted" is?
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

I don't see it as being contrary. And I am not talking about personal attacks, of which I believe I am not guilty. As I posted in the now deleted thread, I find the discussions in which I don't agree with people to be the most memorable and invigorating ones I have. So I posted in the Strong Bad thread, for example, to try to "get" why so many people seem to love Strong Bad while I don't. To try to understand the other perspective.
Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strong Bad
Member # 6471

- posted      Profile for Strong Bad   Email Strong Bad         Edit/Delete Post 
Baleeted!
Posts: 41 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it entirely depends on the thread in question. If I start a thread about cigars and the tone is, "Does anyone else here like cigars? Does anyone have any favorites?", then I think it would be curmudgeonly at least, if not outright rude, to jump in if all you have to say is "I hate cigars", or other negative things. If you feel overwhelmingly unable to keep such feelings to yourself, then a more appropriate expression would be to start a thread like "Why I hate cigars".

Alternatively, if the thread was "What do you think of Cigars?" or "My Dad offered me a cigar for my 21st birthday, what do you think of that?" then it's no holds barred.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So which thread got deleted? Anyway, I don't see anything wrong with posting an opposing opinion, just so long as it's done respectfully.
I agree.
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I normally delete my threads when a lot of people find them objectionable.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Icky, it can go both ways. Hmmm... it means that you have to be willing to take what appears to be and sometimes is criticism even about things that you love, and that could greatly discourage people from posting things that are sensitive and not up for grabs. If that happens, I think it would a tragic loss for Hatrack.

On the other hand, it is really possible to ask for only yeses when you start a thread.

Great. I'm on the fence.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Homestarrunner
Member # 5090

- posted      Profile for Homestarrunner   Email Homestarrunner         Edit/Delete Post 
Baaaaa-leted!

IMO, Homestarrunner.com is getting way too popular. I liked it much better when it was still underground. They're still funny, though.

That was the BEST video game I have EVAU played!

Posts: 144 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

I remember when I crashed the Harry Potter thread. And then everyone accused me of thinking Harry Potter is a satanist. Good times, those.
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with KarlEd on this one. The thread in question was more along the lines of a fan thread than a "what do you think of" thread. So the negative comments about the show seemed a little mean-spirited (though I don't think they were intended that way).

That said, I think deleting the thread was a bit of an overreaction. But not evil. Let's reserve that term for actions that truly deserve it.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

Also, in regard to my borrowed "Cigar" analogy above, there is a difference between posting "I hate cigars" and "What is it you find so attractive about cigars?" in a clearly "cigar-love" type thread. I think the second question would be perfectly fine in that case while I still the first would come across as a little rude and trollish.

Not every thread is posted for controversy or to solicit arguement. For example, if someone started posting "Homosexuality is a sin" or even "Gay marriage should be banned because . . ." stuff in my "Field Guide" thread, I'd be pretty offended.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

Are you perhaps confusing my comments with fallow's, which were, imo, harsher?

Or have I been accused of being mean-spirited twice in one day now?

Maybe I just don't vibrate in the same frequency as this place anymore.

[Frown] [Dont Know] [Frown]

Strong Bad
Member # 6471

I'm still trying to figure out which thread got deleted.
KarlEd
Member # 571

My comments are totally "in general". I don't have any opinion about the specific thread in question.
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

- posted      Profile for Trogdor the Burninator   Email Trogdor the Burninator         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh come on Ick. You are easily the 58th most popular person here.

And from the title of this thread, you're finally understanding how awesome HSR is. You're coming around.

If ick leaves. I leave.

Posts: 1481 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, if you guys leave, you have to promise to post a huffy "I'm leaving" thread. I always get a kick out of those.

Not that we'd believe Patrick anyway. He's left about 15 times so far.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Oh, and the thing I hate most about deleted threads is that I never know what the heck the "why did that thread get deleted" threads are about. It would be nice if someone would make copies of the threads before they get deleted, so we can go back and figure out what went wrong.

Man, I'm is such a goofy mood.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

quote:
So, if anyone else has watched this incredible show, please chatter about it [Smile]
[a bunch of posts, including at least one criticizing the show]

quote:
I saw one episode in the first year and didn't get what all the buzz was about. I found the main character whiny and self-absorbed and not particularly likeable. Watching the show was about as much fun as listening to a teenager whine.

But maybe I just caught them on a bad day.

^
|

My unedited first post in that thread.

quote:
quote:
I found the main character whiny and self-absorbed and not particularly likeable.
Sounds like a teenager to me =)
quote:
Yeah. I just don't know how entertaining it would be to watch a teenager's (so-called) life. [Smile]
^
|
My unedited second post in that thread.

So. Was I mean spirited?

Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

- posted      Profile for Trogdor the Burninator   Email Trogdor the Burninator         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
ot that we'd believe Patrick anyway. He's left about 15 times so far.

Something about a pot calling a kettle black comes to mind.
Posts: 1481 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

::counts on fingers::

Nope, you've left way more often than I have.

Icky, nope.

katharina
Member # 827

(((Icky)))

Heh. If it helps, I've been the cause of at least one deleted thread. I still agree with my own opinion, but I guess I should have put it more diplomatically.

p.s. And don't you dare go anywhere. [No No]

[ April 21, 2004, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Strong Bad
Member # 6471

quote:
If it helps, I've been the cause of at least one deleted thread.
I'm sure this isn't supposed to be a joke, but I still think it's funny.
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Ic:

quote:
So. Was I mean spirited?
No. But it still sounds a little mean-spirited. I can certainly understand not appreciating such a reaction to something I find "incredible". But again, I know you didn't intend it that way, so you're fine by me.

And no, I didn't confuse your posts with fallow's.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh goodie. This is the way to make it settle down.

I've only deleted two threads in the entirety of my hatrackage. The first was because no one posted on it. It swept to page 3, and I deleted it because it had no response, had touched no one in a visible way.

This thread I deleted because it made me sad. I wanted to have a fun discussion about what it meant to me. But it degenerated quickly into a lot of bad feelings (unintended). I didn't like seeing the thread, I didn't like posting in the thread, and I didn't want it to keep going. Even if it had gotten back to the original point of the thread, I felt it was blemished with all this miscommunication.

So I deleted it. Very little was lost. It was intended to be a positive fluff thread that had potential for some good discussion about teen angst. But it didn't make me happy at all. It made me very unhappy. I was told that I was being too sensitive.

and now, thank you very much, the thread's misery is continuing.

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

How ironic that a fluff thread about angst, caused it.
pooka
Member # 5003

Oh, I think I know which thread it was finally. I never saw the show.

But the self deprecating narcissism of the title makes it ironic, both that you felt the need to criticize it and that the criticism was met with baleetion.

Hey, Ic, it's not Hatrack if folks understand you all the time.

Simultaneous post with Kayla's.

[ April 21, 2004, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

lcarus
Member # 4395

Yeah. I'm a real ass. My feelings don't matter.

EDIT simultaneous post. Not responding to Pooka.

[ April 21, 2004, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: lcarus ]

Kayla
Member # 2403

Was it about My So Called Life? Or some other show?
pooka
Member # 5003

Didn't you open this thread to get our feedback? So now you can't probe for consolation. Where is Rita Spankmistress when we need her?
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
Look, I never called you an ass. I told you there was a lot of miscommunication, and it was making me unhappy. I didn't want the thread to stick around. Sorry about that, sorry about losing the posts you posted in it.
Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

quote:
Yeah. I'm a real ass. My feelings don't matter.
Ok. Now I'm pissed. I officially declare myself Ick's bodyguard.

[Mad]
Don't mess with Joe unless you want to feel all the rage a burninator can muster.

Joe -- you're the most even-headed guy here. One that tolerates my goofiness by saying you actually enjoy it. It was one thread deletion, not a big deal. I once had a whole series of mafia threads deleted by Kristine because they had the word lynch in them. It really pissed me off at the time.. But you can't let it get to you. Don't worry.

Okay?

lcarus
Member # 4395

Pooka, I was not responding to you, or to your feedback. I was responding to being criticized with sarcasm for starting this thread, because it didn't let something die. I started this thread because I had just written a post and had no place to put it, and because I did want feedback on the general question I asked for feedback on.

Doesn't mean I'm not allowed to have feelings when the victim comes back and tells me how I'm making her life even worse.

lcarus
Member # 4395

Thanks Pat.

Clearly I'm being sensitive here.

I will try to back away.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

No, you're not. Deleting a thread people have posted due is really, really rude and shows no respect for the time or thought people put into their posts. Even in a mostly fluff thread.

I wish people would be less tolerant of it. People can delete their own posts if they want. They shouldn't delete others.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OSC-fan
Member # 6195

- posted      Profile for OSC-fan           Edit/Delete Post 
Quote:
quote:
BannaOj
Member # 3206

posted April 21, 2004 02:01 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<-- feels dumb.
which thread got deleted?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

katharina
Member # 827

posted April 21, 2004 02:01 PM
I love baleting threads.

Kat, now we all know who likes to delete threads [Eek!]

Do you always follow Banna's posts?

Posts: 159 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

Unreal.
Ela
Member # 1365

When someone deletes a thread that you have posted to, it can be annoying. Yes, it's frustrating to lose a post that you have taken time to compose, I understand that. In my case, it's never something that I have gotten super-upset about. A minor annoyance, on the range of things one could get annoyed about.

And I can understand someone deleting a thread, if they started it hoping for a certain type of feedback, and the feedback they were getting was just upsetting or annoying them.

I think it's exaggerating to call it "really rude and disrespectful." It's only a forum, and all the threads get deleted eventually, anyway.

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
Kat, now we all know who likes to delete threads
Yes indeedy. You sneaky, clever detective, you.

For the record, I like BALEETING threads. I have to admit I was teasing Icky, not realizing it was actually a word in StrongBadian.

[ April 21, 2004, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Strong Bad
Member # 6471

Actually, it's a word that Homestar made up. I don't talk like that.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
When someone deletes a thread that you have posted to, it can be annoying. Yes, it's frustrating to lose a post that you have taken time to compose, I understand that. In my case, it's never something that I have gotten super-upset about. A minor annoyance, on the range of things one could get annoyed about.

And I can understand someone deleting a thread, if they started it hoping for a certain type of feedback, and the feedback they were getting was just upsetting or annoying them.

I think it's exaggerating to call it "really rude and disrespectful." It's only a forum, and all the threads get deleted eventually, anyway.

If that's the general feeling around here I find it very disturbing. A poster deleting the works of others because "the feedback they were getting was just upsetting or annoying them?" Frankly, I find it appalling. Sure eventually posts will be deleted. That's different than having someone delete them months ahead of schedule.

Frankly, I don't know what else to call such disregard for others' time and effort.

Dagonee

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Dag,
How about "a disregard for others' time and effort." That pretty much sums it up for me.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

Dag, I think you are attaching way too much importance to a post made to a forum, that's all.

Just my personal opinion.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.