FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Songs that make you swoon... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Songs that make you swoon...
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I thought Mark Knopfler wrote the music for The Princess Bride?
He wrote the score, but I don't think he wrote the song with words that played during the credits.

Dagonee

[ April 25, 2004, 10:43 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to put down Mahnamahna by the Muppets again because it's just that damn good.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
"Longer" by Dan Fogelburg

kyrie are you on a College Radio station or a professional one...Just curious.

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby McGee by Janis Joplin. The gal has got some PIPES!
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Koga
Member # 5646

- posted      Profile for Koga   Email Koga         Edit/Delete Post 
are Country songs allowed? [Confused]
Posts: 733 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second the Annie's Song [Smile]

Also, Springsteen's Secret Garden - it just pricks at my tear glands. It's the only song of his I can't find on iTunes, though.

And as cliché as it may be, I'll have to say U2's With or Without You, especially the live version from Rattle and Hum where you get that extra interlude "We'll shine like stars in the summer night / we'll shine like stars in the winter / one heart / one hope / one love"

Let's see... what else?

Savage Garden - Crash and Burn
Annie Lennox - Into the West
U2 - Love is Blindness
Khaled - Aïcha
Cheb Mami - Ana Oualache
Shakira - Pienso en Ti (totally acapella - very haunting)
...and just because it's one of those songs that tugs at some very old heartstrings - the steel guitar introduction to On the Verge by Collin Raye can bring me to tears.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
The song that always makes me cry is the slow version of DJ Slammy's Heaven. The techno version was the first song Bernard and I danced to (at PC).

3 Doors Down's Here Without You and the ending credits song(s) for Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon make me swoon, too.

The one that gets me every time, though, is Enya's Miss Claire Remembers. That piano part is just so haunting.

::swoon::

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
Hoo boy.

Red Hot Chile Peppers: Road Trippin', I Could Die For You
Third Eye Blind: I Want You, Motorcycle Drive By (acoustic version), Anything (acoustic), Deep Inside Of You (acoustic), Can't Get Away
Sarah McLachlan: I Love You, Sweet Surrender, Angel, Possesion, Ice Cream, Trainwreck, Answer, I Will Not Forget You, Wear You Love Like Heaven
Santana: Love Of My Life (with Dave Matthews), El Farol, Game Of Love (with Michelle Branch), Why Don't You And I (with Chad Kroeger)
Savage Garden: Truly Madly Deeply
Dashboard Confessional: Carry This Picture
Everclear: I Will Buy You A New Life, White Men In Black Suits, Good Witch Of The North, A Beautiful Life, Song From An American Movie Pt.1
Incubus: Echo, Are You In?, Aqueous Transmission
James Taylor: Something In The Way She Moves, Fire And Rain, You've Got A Friend, How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You), Shower The People, Mexico, Bittersweet
Maroon5: She Will Be Loved, Sunday Morning,
Jeff Buckley: Everybody Here Wants You, Hallelujah, Lover You Should Have Come Over
Michelle Branch: One Of These Days, It's You,
Heather Nova: Waste The Day, If I Saw You In A Movie, Talk To Me, Heaven Sent, Like Lovers Do, What A Feeling, Valley Of Sound, Winterblue, Paper Cup, Not Only Human
Fastball: Out Of My Head
311: Love Song
Etta James: At Last, The Very Thought Of You
Ella Fitzgerald: Someone To Watch Over Me
Sting: Fragile, Feilds Of Gold,
Louis Armstrong: A Kiss To Build A Dream On
George Winston's entire album "Winter"
The entire soundtrack to "When Harry Met Sally".

...well, off the top of my head, anyway. [Smile]

Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
You Say it Best When You Say Nothing at All. [Smile] (Though I'm not too fond of the Alison Krauss version...)

There are more, but that's number 1.

[Smile]

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
zotto swoons, alot!

[Wink]

I heard a nice Rollling-Stones tune today that I don't think I've ever heard (don't own any). It was pretty good. That faux-american country twang as only the stones can (or coulda) pulled off.

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Kyrie eleison, down the road that I must travel. Kyrie eleison, through the darkness of the night...[/sings]

sorry.

Um...

The Beatles - Real Love
Atlantic Starr - Always
Breathe - Hands To Heaven
Phil Collins - Groovy Kind Of Love
Bryan Adams - Everything I Do
Celine Dion - Because You Loved Me
Selena - Dreaming Of You
Sophie B. Hawkins - As I Lay Me Down
Wet, Wet, Wet - Love Is All Around

[Grumble] My mom is a DJ at a Top-40 station.

Beatles music is all that makes me swoon, but I'm probably not your intended audience. The above should serve you well.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
I think December is probably whart he's talking about. "The Holly and the Ivy" and "Variations on the Kanon" are a couple of the best bits of piano playing I've ever heard.
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
Jimmy Eat World - Just watch the Fireworks

song knocks me on my ass everytime. it always makes me think of whatever girl im dating at the time...and playgrounds.

and:

CAT POWER - Good Woman

Eddie Vedder sings very quiet backup vocals for this song and it compliments the song a tremendous amount.

[ April 26, 2004, 08:32 PM: Message edited by: Ben ]

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seven
Member # 5367

- posted      Profile for seven           Edit/Delete Post 
the tension and the terror by straylight run...
Posts: 46 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

straylight run is great. im surprised others on here are familiar with them...

and people said nothing good could come out of taking back sunday...

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seven
Member # 5367

- posted      Profile for seven           Edit/Delete Post 
heh. who said nothing good could come out of Taking Back Sunday?

...also...

Ever So Sweet by The Early November...

Posts: 46 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

i did.
Ben
Member # 6117

Bright Eyes - Touch

the casio inspired instrumentation in this song just enhances its greatness and emotional effect.

kyrie
Member # 6415

- posted      Profile for kyrie   Email kyrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Pankhaj Udhas: "chand jaisa rang hai tera" - it's a Hindi song, the title means "you look like the moon" and it's beautiful. I'm listening to it now. Another great Hindi song, from a film but I can't remember the film is "So Saal Pehele"
Was it "bend it like becham"? I know its just a movie but after seeing it, i became a fan of Hindi music. [Razz]
Posts: 264 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kyrie
Member # 6415

- posted      Profile for kyrie   Email kyrie         Edit/Delete Post 
*looks around exosted*
...gasp... im only done finding most of the songs from about half of the first page.... oh my, i still have quite a ways to go...

Posts: 264 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Coldplay, "Careful Where You Stand" and "Green Eyes." "Yellow" is a good, fun, being-in-love song, but I wouldn't say that it makes me swoon.

Simon and Garfunkel, "Bridge over Troubled Water," even though the end is terrible. [Smile]

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Jimmy Eat World - Just watch the Fireworks
Ooh, heavens, yes! That is such a good song.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Breathe - Hands To Heaven
Word.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
"Butterfly" - Crazy Town
Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
Speed and TAK:

Yeah, I was talking about "December". *stupid blush* Heck, I was listening to it when I wrote that post!

C'mon, Winter, December...same thing! [Big Grin]

Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Ooh. Speaking of Winter and December, I'll add:

Tori Amos - Winter

What a great frequin song.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, people have named most of them, but I simply must add:

Mancini/Mercer -- Moon River (My absolute favorite song of all time)

Sinatra -- Fly Me to the Moon (oh, how I love this song)

Peter, Paul, and Mary -- Puff the Magic Dragon (This one's not romantic, but it makes me cry)

Andrew Lloyd Weber -- All I Ask of You (I'm actually singing this with one of my best friends)

And I must second Simon and Garfunkel -- Bridge Over Troubled Water (*sighs* We're singing this one in choir)

There are SO many more, but I can't name them all! Those are the top few that make me swoon.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
"Sinatra -- Fly Me to the Moon (oh, how I love this song)"

I love the Sinatra version. But I also have a soft spot for the Evangelion version as well. [Smile]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Beren, I don't think I've ever heard that one!
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Evangelion is a pretty neat anime. At the end of each episode, there is a female vocal version of "Fly Me to the Moon." That version has a distant, ethereal quality to it.

My post was also poking a little fun at the fact that the creators of Evangelion has released at least twenty versions of the song on their soundtrack CDs.

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Dennison Marrs - Twilight Eyelight
U2 - All I Want Is You
Garbage - You Look So Fine
The Cure - Love Song

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
Jawbreaker - Ache, Basilica, Do You Still Hate Me, Kiss The Bottle, Want

Jets To Brazil - Sea Anemone, Sweet Avenue

Lisa Loeb - Stay

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, speaking of Sinatra, I just love his version of "I've Got You Under My Skin." [Smile] In my History of Jazz class we listened to a live recording of it, and it was wonderful. The song is on the soundtrack for What Women Want, but it's not *quite* as good as the live recording we listened to in class. Still swoon-material, though! [Smile]
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
"I'll Cover You", from Rent
Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

The Corrs - Runaway

Whatever their name is - Lady in Red

Queensryche - Silent Lucidity

Jewel - Foolish Games (This is less of a melting song and more of a "I can't get over this person I've been broken up with for over a year now" song. [Smile] )

U2 - All I want is You (I second this one)

a-ha - Stay on these Roads (I LOVE that song!!); Rain

Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
It's Chris de Burgh - Lady in red. His song "Patricia" is cool, though not in the same way... [Wink] And since I'm writing about naughty songs, let me add Simply Red - So beautiful. Don't be fooled by the title OR the "dreamy" begining... Just pay close attention to the refrain. [Big Grin]

And I'll see your A-ha - "Stay on these roads" and "Crying in the Rain", and raise you another A-ha: "Velvet".

I said I wouldn't post until Saturday due to exams, but really, who can ?! [Smile]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't seen my favorite listed yet:

Unchained Melody by the Righteous Brothers (used as soundtrack for the movie Ghosts)

and I swoon at most anything sung by Garth Brooks, but especially for his That Summer

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
*sings*

Once...when I was searching...somewhere out of reach, faraway. I was innocent and wise, and full of pain.

*sings again*

I've had time to right a book about, the way you act and look, but I haven't got a paragraph. Words are always getting in my way... anyway I love you. That's all I have to tell you. That's all I've got to say.

*sings again*

Bright eyes! How can you close and fail... How can the light that burned so brightly suddenly burn so pale... Bright eyes...

*sings yet again*

Hail Poetry! Thou heav'n born maid! Thou guildless is the pirates trade! Hail flowing fount of sentiment! All hail. All hail! All hail divine emoliant!!

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, there's a few songs that make me weak in the knees.
One of them goes "...In the morning I can see the sights, and wonder I can ever keep you satisfied. In the morning I can see inside myself and all the things that you were trying to hide..."
Unfortunately I never heard the name of the song or the band. [Frown]
(has anyone heard it?)

Last Kiss- by Pearl Jam
Desert Rose- by Sting
Only Time- by Enya

*tries to think of the other songs*

[ April 27, 2004, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: Eruve Nandiriel ]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UTAH
Member # 5032

- posted      Profile for UTAH   Email UTAH         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yes.
quote:
"Longer" by Dan Fogelburg

One of the best!
Posts: 277 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UTAH
Member # 5032

- posted      Profile for UTAH   Email UTAH         Edit/Delete Post 
Farmgirl, how about "The Dance", by Garth Brooks?
The Dance
Looking back on the memory of
The dance we shared 'neath the stars alone
For a moment all the world was right
How could I have known that you'd ever say goodbye

And now I'm glad I didn't know
The way it all would end the way it all would go
Our lives are better left to chance I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

Holding you I held everything
For a moment wasn't I a king
But if I'd only known how the king would fall
Hey who's to say you know I might have chanced it all

And now I'm glad I didn't know
The way it all would end the way it all would go
Our lives are better left to chance I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

Yes my life is better left to chance
I could have missed the pain but I'd of had to miss the dance

What a great message . . .

Posts: 277 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

quote:
Jawbreaker - Ache, Basilica, Do You Still Hate Me, Kiss The Bottle, Want

Jets To Brazil - Sea Anemone, Sweet Avenue

don't forget Jawbreaker's sluttering. and accident prone. maybe not swoon worthy but damn good
Ben
Member # 6117

Satchel - Suffering

AFI - Morning Star

boysetsfire - resection (ok its hte anti swoon song. but as passionate as you can get.)

roland gift - thats how strong my love is

Ben
Member # 6117

Hot Water Music - Driving home (for a song about depression, this thing just gets me)
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
OOOOOOOH!
I found what song it was!
[Big Grin]

It's "Mourning" by Tantric.

*swoons*

(*just realised how many Tantric songs she likes*)

[ April 27, 2004, 07:38 PM: Message edited by: Eruve Nandiriel ]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I can just say "everything that raia said" plus I must agree to Unchained Melody. Oh and Add
"Memory" from cats on but minus the lyrics, when we play it at orchestra concerts.

"The Dance" is very good, but because we always have a dance the last night at 4-H camp, and the last two years as a councilor the guys I danced with during that song have both died, it makes me cry.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

The Promise Ring - A picture postcard

come on any song with THESE lyrics you cannot deny:

If I put my hands to your stomach,
or put my lips to your hand...Take me home, keep your eyes on the road.
So don't forget to kiss me if you're really going to leave.
Couldn't you take the second bus home?
Couldn't you just take me with you?

Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

Serenity- by Godsmack
Ben
Member # 6117

Dashboard Confessional - For you to notice.

emo kid in me strikes again.

blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm Leaving on a Jet Plane- Peter Paul and Mary
How to Handle a Woman- Camelot

Heavens, musicals specialize in this kind of things, I'm not going to bother posting them all if you don't want them though.

Resistor- Brave Saint Saturn (I love this group and I can't find anything else by them! It's so horrible!)

I believe (when I fall in love)- Stevie Wonder

I just called to say I love you- Stevie Wonder

That's what Friends are for- Stevie Wonder

Stevie Wonder is very swoonish

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.