FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Why We Still Need Feminism (Page 10)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Why We Still Need Feminism
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Storm, it depends on if the belly in question is a good conversationalist.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*scrubs THAT mental image out of her brain*
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm up *here*, Pooka! [Mad]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Oh, sorry. Nice pot you got there. What? Why can't they ever take that as a compliment?
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I don't typically like to sound like I'm agreeing with Tres, but I don't think that items 1, 2 or 4 on Anne Kate's list are problems that have to do with women's rights. It's true that the vast majority of sexual assaults are perpetrated by men, but these men do not just assault women. They also assault other men, as well as girls and boys. It's possible that in a world with social equality to match the strides that feminism has made in legal equality there would be fewer rapes, but I'm not really sure. Given that the proportion of the male population that rapists constitutes, I think that it's entirely possible that that sort of violent and aberrant behavior would manifest itself no matter what the rest of the world were like. Obviously this doesn't mean that feminists should not work to end rape, but that's different from saying that it is a feminist issue.

As for items 5, 6, and 7, they by definition don't apply to the US. Now, I had been under the impression that our discussion was limited to conditions in the US, but the amount of atrocity in the world is certainly something that needs to be noticed and addressed. Many of the issues I raised with the feminist movement here evaporate when we start talking about the rest of the world.

-----------

Regarding passion: Whether or not we are becoming more intolerant of passionate posting, it's my opinion that passion basically never helps make a point. If the most important thing to you (the hypothetical you) is to persuade someone to come around to your point of view, then you would be well served by reigning in the passion and remaining calm, collected, and rational.

-----------

And finally, many of the women who have commented in this thread have said that modern feminism is not antagonistic toward men, women who choose domestic lifestyles, or "femininity." Now, I will grant that my experience does not constitute data, but the vast majority of women that I know who self-identify using the term "feminist" or "strong woman" are, in fact, antagonistic toward men as well as women who don't follow a "liberated" lifestyle.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, beware generalizations and specious arguments . . . .
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scythrop
Member # 5731

- posted      Profile for Scythrop   Email Scythrop         Edit/Delete Post 
This is imogen...

quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
However I do think it is wrong to say that women are intrinsically more emotional and caring then men, and men are intrinsically more rational and logical than women.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Imogen, what do you mean by this? By "wrong", do you mean inaccurate, or do you mean that it is a morally wrong thing to do?

Both I think. Wrong in that I don't think that the stereotypes are true and wrong to [resume that we can apply intrinsic gender stereotypes like that.

I'd take less issue with a characterisation that "Women tend to take on more nuturing roles than men" because that is a fact that reflects social reality, not an assertion as to the intrinsic characteristics of every man or woman.

Posts: 466 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Was that to me, Shan?
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
*counts himself as a feminist who is not antagonistic toward men nor antagonistic against women who don't follow a "liberated" lifestyle.... the interest in fat guys with hairy bellies thing is a toss up though.*
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Don't knock it till you've tried it, is all I'm saying.
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, i guess I misunderstood you, but then again you think wrong that I don't know what birth control is and how to use it. Besides, thats not what I wanted to talk about from the start. We kind of got off topic, I began talking about whether or not abortion is something people here in Hatrack agree or disagree with, and to explain their opinion. So then, what's your opinion?
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Alt, the abortion issue was really Kasie's other thread where she talked about the march she participated in. We have been staying on topic in this thread, "Why We Still Need Feminism" surprisingly well for Hatrack, despite the few detours and occasional levity.

If you wish to discuss the abortion issue, why not bump Kasie's other thread? http://www.hatrack.com/ubb/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=023783 There are already a lot of opinions in that thread that are relevant to the particular issue you wish to discuss. You can start your own thread too, but normally unless there is a decidedly new twist on a topic, like the march was, the threads often die a rapid death because us oldbies are sick of discussing controversial topic X. Do a hatrack search on "gay marriage" and you'll see what I mean.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, sax75 - it was a general comment. I find that we tend (as a whole) to get bogged down in the peices rather than looking at the whole picture - which may be a feature of forum discussions, I guess. And I do the same thing, so the comment truly is to us all -
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.