FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Why We Still Need Feminism (Page 2)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Why We Still Need Feminism
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Get a clue.
Yes you are
And BTW Stan...I'm not acting like this becuase I want to...
So far today, I've eaten 24 chocolate bars,
and drank at least 10 cups of express...
I'm not kidding, its not a joke...
I feel horribly dizzy....

[ April 26, 2004, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: Altįriėl of Dorthonion ]

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Then do yourself a favor and turn off your computer, and don't be calling OTHER people illegible, for CRYING out loud.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
My dear PSI,
I think its wearing off now....
My right kidney hurts...
I can't turn off my compy...
I'm addicted........

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But I am a Republican, so I think her husband gave her a good advice.

This is the only reply mentioning Republicans before your post. It's from Stargate. Kasie's initial post did mention that the wife voted Republican because her husband did. But I don't think which party she voted for was the main thing. Her voting for anything because her husband told her to was the main thing. Did you just skip all the other posts before saying something? This thread isn't Republican vs. Democrat. It isn't about abortion. It's about feminism.

edit: changed "thing" to "reply"

[ April 26, 2004, 06:33 PM: Message edited by: Rappin' Ronnie Reagan ]

Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
You need some protein. Yikes.

(Yeah, I was talking to you, Trip! YOU need some PROTEIN!!!! GAH, I hate it when I post too late.)

[ April 26, 2004, 06:34 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
[Razz]
Actually, I do need to eat something...

Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

Trip?? Who's that?? Me???
I need protein????
God don't talk to me about any kind of food intake or nutrient!!
I'm about to puke...

UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
*thinks better of saying whatever was going to say here*

Never mind.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, this thread was on topic until the derailment.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

So then ignore what I've just said, I feel better now..*flushing heard in the distance*
The bad stuff is out...
Ok, so lets post!!!!
^.~ [Wink] [Razz]

Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
*head spins*
Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Kasie!!!!

We agree!

[Party]

There is common ground to be had.

[ April 26, 2004, 07:30 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

combustia
Member # 6328

- posted      Profile for combustia   Email combustia         Edit/Delete Post 
Shan is right.
Posts: 21 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, Shan most certainly is right.

We live in a society were women are paid less for the same type and standard of work then men are. Women are more likely to be victims of sexual and physical assault. In both America and Australia, female rape victims can still be told 'they were asking for it' because they wore a skirt/went to a bar etc. In Australia, we don't have paid maternity leave so many women are forced to work after having a child even if they don't want to - and yes, I consider this a feminist issue.

Moving away from the Western world and gender inequality becomes less subtle - lower education, literacy, bans on types of jobs women can take, regulation on women's clothing, sharia law, rape of women in warfare, sexual slavery (actually this happens in Australia and America as well), fgm etc etc.

I don't see how anyone can think that feminism is unneccessary or that everything is equal. There are different issues today then there were 100 years ago - but that doesn't mean those issues don't exist.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
imogen said that beautifully.

Until the "average man on the street" in the developed world cares as much about stopping fgm as they do about stopping other human rights abuses and the average woman on the street can walk down that street without getting whistles and catcalls, we still need feminism.

It's not about putting up fences where there don't need to be any... it's about helping people see the fences that are already there. And it's going to take generations of strong women being loudly and visibly strong before we get a critical mass and attitudes change.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

quote:
It's not about putting up fences where there don't need to be any... it's about helping people see the fences that are already there
Exactly.

Very well put. [Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
I can see why you need want to pursue feminism for reasons of violence and chauvinism. I don't disagree with feminism, I just don't think women have less rights than men.
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
combustia
Member # 6328

And that's why the oppression of women continues to this day.
Posts: 21 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

I think there's two ways of looking at that Nick.

The first is that feminism isn't just about strict legal rights, but rather social attitudes as well. So while it may be equally illegal for either a man or a woman to be raped, the social reality is that women are raped primarily. Why? Perhaps because of social attitudes towards sex, women's attitudes and responses ('she wanted it really') and the boys club mentality that often proceeds gang rape. And these are attitudes that need to be changed. They are a fence in themselves.

Secondly - equality does *not* mean sameness. Women and men are different in some ways - childbearing being a primary example. So in these examples the fact that women have the same rights as men doesn't mean much. If neither men or women are allowed paid maternity/paternity leave then the situation is the same. But because of differences inherent in the situation, it may not be equalitable.

ElJay
Member # 6358

Nick, if you can't use a right, do you really have it?

Or, how about this... there are guys I know who won't walk through a door if I'm holding it open. I'm not saying I want men to stop holding doors for me. If a man chooses to hold a door for me, I walk through it, and I say thank you. But if I'm walking with that same guy, and I get to the door first, I'm going to open it and hold it open for him to go through. It's common courtesy, and I'd do it regardless of the gender of the person I'm with. If you'll open a door for me but won't walk through a door I'm holding for you, how can you say you consider me equal? In some way, you consider me different, and different is never equal.

Note that I'm using the generic you. I don't know if you walk through doors women are holding. But I know that many, many men won't, so for this and other reasons I consider that the general climate in the United States is not one of gender equality.

Edit 'cause imogen posted while I was typing... Yes, there are going to be some differences based on biology. So if I stick hard to my statement above, men and women will never consider themselves totally equal. I just think we can get a lot closer than we are now, without being a bunch of grumps and without compromising our respective integrity.

[ April 26, 2004, 10:31 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

I think it's a matter of culture as well. Some people are raised on a steady diet of hatred, and sometimes, murderers, rapists, and other psychopaths are the result. I'm sorry this is so, but it is a reality.
quote:
The first is that feminism isn't just about strict legal rights, but rather social attitudes as well.
I know that. As I explicitly said, I'm not against feminism. Especially because my sister would beat me up if she thought I was. [Big Grin] Seriously though, I know a few things about how women are treated. From a legal standpoint, they are treated equal to men (except maybe the draft, but that's a different topic), but culturally, there are still chauvinists. Which is why I think you should not stop, but continue on to fight the bigotry and chauvinism against women.

Also, I realize it's useful for disease fund-raising. I'm all for the breast cancer walks. 1 in 6 get it? I don't like those odds. I know women definitely don't like those odds.

I'm not against feminism, I just don't think it's right to say that you're out there fighting for rights that men have and you don't.

I understand that it's not as safe for a woman to walk down a dark alley alone as it is for a man. It should be, but it's not. But that doesn't mean somebody is infringing your rights.

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
[Blushing]

gee - my honor is defended from virulent attacks and poeple think I'm right!

I'm framing this thread for posterity's sake . . .

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

I will walk through a door that a women holds open for me, but I make a point to beat her to it. [Razz]

quote:
Yes, there are going to be some differences based on biology. So if I stick hard to my statement above, men and women will never consider themselves totally equal.
I consider women to be totally equal to me and other men.
combustia
Member # 6328

Prostate cancer research has greater funding than breast cancer research.
Nick
Member # 4311

I wasn't aware of that. How did you come to this conclusion?
combustia
Member # 6328

Research.
Nick
Member # 4311

Well I'm not going to accept that just because you said so. I guess I'll research it a bit myself.
EDIT: I found too many links saying that either one had more funding. I can't tell which has more, or whether they're equal.

[ April 26, 2004, 11:06 PM: Message edited by: Nick ]

ElJay
Member # 6358

quote:
I consider women to be totally equal to me and other men.
And at the moment, I believe you are in the minority among men. But every generation will have more, and every man like you who teaches his children that woman and men are equal increases the number exponentially. Because if boys just hear it from women, they will never believe it... it takes strong roll models from both sexes to make a sea change. And as I said, I believe we will one day reach critical mass, and the old ways will fade away and be nothing more than history. But I would be very surprised if it happened in my lifetime. Not that that means I won't work towards it to the best of my ability. [Big Grin]
Nick
Member # 4311

I don't necessarily notice that most men don't consider women their equal. Maybe that's just my peer group.
ElJay
Member # 6358

It may have something to do with your age, as well. You mentioned in another thread that you are under 21... if your peer group is predominantly your age, they are probably among the most "enlightened" segment of the population in most social matters. Each generation is a little better than the one before. When I was in school, I didn't think there was much of a problem left. Sure, there were some jerks around, but most guys seemed pretty cool with considering women as equals. But when I graduated and got a job I was suddenly interacting with people from a range of generations, not to mention a range of educational backgrounds. And the problem was much, much more apparent.

I'm trying not to say "your opinion is invalid because you're young." I don't think that's true. But I do think that as you grow older your range of experiences will also grow (duh) and as the people you are exposed to expand you may see that there are more issues still out there than you see now.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In Australia, we don't have paid maternity leave so many women are forced to work after having a child even if they don't want to - and yes, I consider this a feminist issue.
Should we REALLY be paying maternity leave, rather than (as is currently the case) simply making it possible to take six months or so off, without pay? If you say yes, why? Would all women qualify, or would it basically be a form of welfare? Would men get paid paternity leave? If not, why?

[ April 26, 2004, 11:32 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
Drat, beat me to it. Must be that pesky Y chromosome.
Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's not about putting up fences where there don't need to be any... it's about helping people see the fences that are already there.
But there aren't many fences remaining there to see. All I have to do is look around to see that. Thus, it's really about trying to get others to see fences that don't really exist, but that feminists have become convinced exist.
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Eljay, fyi, the whole door thing has less to do with women and more to do with some weird guy standard. That is, I have held open doors for other guys and they wouldn't go through. There is also the fairly common experience of sitting at an intersection and the other guy won't go until you do.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps you need your eyes checked, Xap.

That there are few overt fences is quite correct. However, one merely needs to observe statistics to see that the fences in treatment exist all around. And most of it probably isn't even conscious.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
combustia
Member # 6328

Xap, you need to open your eyes to see the fences.
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
To be fair, it doesn't help when feminists cast fog. (The claim, e.g., that not offering paid leave is unfair certainly muddies the waters.)
Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
combustia
Member # 6328

Unpaid leave is fine, for men AND women when a child comes along. Neither should be left out, both to be given the opportunity to spend time with their new child.
imogen
Member # 5485

I think that both men and women should be offered paid maternity/paternity leave. But because this is an issue that disproportionately affects women, I do consider it an issue appropriate to come under the gambit of feminism.

quote:
To be fair, it doesn't help when feminists cast fog. (The claim, e.g., that not offering paid leave is unfair certainly muddies the waters.)
Actually, I don't think it does - muddy the waters that is. One of the biggest decisions any mother (or father) will have to make is whether to stay at home or keep working. For social reasons, it's mostly women who face the decision - but I'm not saying that's always the case. I'm well aware of wonderful stay at home Dads (like our own Papa Moose).

I don't think it's *unfair* that women aren't offered paid leave. But I think it would be beneficial to society, and to women as a sub-group which is disproportinately affected by this issue, if paid leave was available.

I'm not doing such a great job at explaining what I mean - I'll link a few articles and try again later.

The Mother of all Battles - Why Paid Maternity Leave is long overdue in Australia

Motherhood and Feminism

ElJay
Member # 6358

I think we may be having a misunderstanding as to what paid maternity leave actually means here. The USA doesn't have it mandated, either. At my company we have parental leave for both new moms or dads, including adoptive parents. The first 2 weeks are paid, and an additional 4 weeks unpaid are available. Anything after that has to be requested, is unpaid, and although I've never seen it happen, it is very clearly stated that your job might not be available when you want to come back, depending on the "needs of the business." Oh, and you have to pay for your own health insurance during that time. So it's a choice... I had two coworkers give birth recently. One saved up for a year beforehand so she could take the first six months off and stay home with her baby. Her husband also has a good job, and she's on his insurance, as is the new baby. The other is the primary wage earner for her family, and had a hard time taking the first six weeks off. I know she would have rather stayed home longer, too, but she's paying for some bad decisions... four years of her husband's back child support. Plus her job provides the insurance for her entire family, and they would have had to start paying for it if she'd stayed out any longer.

Anyway, it's a hard choice... I think it would be wonderful if every parent could have the first month off paid to stay home with their new child, and the option to take 6 months to a year unpaid without having to worry about having a job to come back to. But what is the company supposed to do during those 6 - 12 months? They need someone to do the work, and it's hard to hire temps, by the time you get them up to speed on a white collar job it would be almost time for the parent to come back. Big companies, like mine, can shift resources and deal with it, we've got a lot of redundancy going on. Smaller companies? Much harder.

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Call me crazy, but I have yet to see why a business should pony up because of someone's decision to have a child on their own time.

Sorry, I'm sure I'm the only one that feels that way, but seriously.

celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
You people who keep claiming that these fences don't exist are blatantly ignoring the wage gap.

The higher the level of education, the worse it gets. I can expect equal wages if I make fries at Wendy's, lesser wages if I pursue my current degree, and greater only if I happen to start doing pornos.

You're going to tell me I'm on equal footing? Yeah, right.

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
I am very skeptical of any absolute claims about a "wage gap". I think there are so many variables that any particular claim is highly unlikely to be a meaningful description of the relative pay of men and women.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
I've worked for places where it is a open secret that the management "overlooks" women for promotion because they consider them flight risks.

A lot of women still succeed in such an environment, but I just feel they had to work so much harder to prove themselves.

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Xap, you need to open your eyes to see the fences.
No, Feminism will tell you there are fences even if you keep your eyes closed. You just need to open your eyes to see that there are no major fences, that the Emperor is not really wearing any clothes (or fences [Wink] ) at all.

quote:
You people who keep claiming that these fences don't exist are blatantly ignoring the wage gap.
The wage gap is a matter of women having certain characteristics, not discrimination. Women tend towards fields that pay less, they take more time out for pregnancies and parental matters, they often (and this is supported by research, at least based on what I've read) are far less aggressive about going after raises, and at the upper levels where mostly older women work they tend to be less educated and experienced due to discrimination long-since removed. You can't just point to a statistic and claim discrimination.
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Women tend towards fields that pay less
Those silly women.
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

Ok, I feel better today, and I've got a way better attitude too. My stomach feels better.
Anyway, these issues you guys are talking about are actually pretty serious. I don't see why women in Australia don't get a maternity leave. For crying out loud, don't those people need to be reminded where they came from??!!!
I still pretty much hate it when some horny SOB harrasses me when I'm on the street saying stuff like "Hey Baby" , "Que Onda Chula", or sending me a kiss....
I find that offensive, and I just look the other way...
Even though some men might not find that they are harrassing me, I FEEL HARRASED.
Don't you girls feel the same??

P.S. "Que Onda Chula" is Spanish for "Whats up "hot girl",, I placed hot girl in quotations because "chula" is a slang word and even though it doesn't mean hot girl exactly, its the closest english transalation I could think of right now.

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
How strange, I'm pretty certain I've seen studies of particular fields, such as academia, in which women are consistently paid less. More than 9 months (and less than that is taken) of not obtaining raises woudl result in.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Or maybe averaging in unpaid maternity leave?
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

Thats wrong, most of the time, if a man feels challenged by a woman, he tries to put her down as much as he can, guess this is what is happening right now. Why is it that men always want to rule women with the thumb? Why this need to show you're superior to us?
  This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  8  9  10   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.