FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » John's been banned? Kristine, Kathryn, you've made a mistake. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  8  9  10   
Author Topic: John's been banned? Kristine, Kathryn, you've made a mistake.
Khavanon
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for Khavanon   Email Khavanon         Edit/Delete Post 
I also like John. I regret that I spent the last year off of this site and have missed the chance (maybe for now) to talk with him in this forum again.
Posts: 2523 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not stuck on what was said to pooka. I'm talking about a larger trend. I was hoping it was like the Emperor's clothes - that it just needed to be pointed out.

[ April 29, 2004, 01:16 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
You know kat, I really think you need to lay off Lalo.
Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
A trend you only started harping on after his age revelation.

we all know that lalo doesn't mean any harm. why make an issue out of it?

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
So I guess no one is going to produce a link so we could actually judge for ourselves. So what's the point of discussing it?

P.S. kat was just trying to defend me, which I appreciate but don't really need. I guess it's the sad truth that I expect certain responses from some folks. This is an addition only, nothing was removed and this was the last post when I undertook this edit. :wishes we had the mafia smiley on this forum:

[ April 29, 2004, 01:19 AM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khavanon
Member # 929

Eddie has always been someone that has spoken things exactly as he sees them, and I don't think half the time he really intends to anger people. I give him the benefit of the doubt. If he says he's trying not to be rude, I believe him. I think he really does need you to explain to him what is so offensive.
Posts: 2523 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm not stuck on what was said to pooka. I'm talking about a larger trend. I was hoping it was like the Emperor's clothes - that it just needed to be pointed out.
Maybe so, Kat, but I don't think this is the time or place for it.
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Pooka, are you honestly saying you don't know the picture? Or are you doing this just to see if someone will post? Just out of curiosity.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm bewildered, in all honesty. Kat, this may well make a third time you've ignored my request for evidence to enforce your accusations -- accusations which are utterly unfounded, from what I can see. I seem to have been ridiculously courteous in this thread, a decency you seem to have ignored altogether in your rush to charge me with a crime I've yet to commit.

Are you of the belief that repeating an accusation over and over will make it true? I confess, I'm lost as to your intentions if you don't intend to somehow condemn me by repeating your charge, rather than give it substance. Which, may I remind you, is all I've asked from you in this thread -- is it so much to ask, given your seeming intent to libel my character?

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

It was mentioned to me once that the reason that if I ever get into any conflict with a poster that it is invariably the other side that gets defended is because I seem to be eminently capable of taking care of myself.

And I am. Which is apparently working against me. The dogpiling is unacceptable. E-mail works better.

I don't think talking about it more is productive here. Think about it, though. It's possible to point out the negative characteristics of a well-known posting style without attacking the person himself. I haven't and I won't. But the rudeness is not okay. Maybe that needs to be said more often.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't like the bully.

With him around I didn't dare stick my neck out with an unsubstantiated claim. At least he kept me from posting stupid, like I'm doing right now.

Hatrack needs someone ready to jump down the throats of stupid posters. Never mind. Got plenty.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
It's all fun and games until Hatrack gets taken away from us. [Frown]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

I really haven't seen it, T.

Lalo, it was probably the "try reading up on it" which was both sarcastic and implied that I am ignorant. Then you implied we had acquired our manners in college, which is also offensive but only in a laughable way.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khavanon
Member # 929

I like the duality of your post. At least you're happy for being Hobbes [Smile]
pH
Member # 1350

I think it had more to do with a general tendency to dismiss younger/less educated posters.
Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

quote:
I like the duality of your post. At least you're happy for being Hobbes
i'm totally using this as my new GreNME signature.
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

pH, are you talking about Lalo's reply to me? That was the first implication that anyone was ignorant.
Leonide
Member # 4157

Uh oh, now 2/3 of those defending John are going to be dismissed as "only on his side cause they're young and don't know any better"

*sucks pacifier*

pooka
Member # 5003

He called me ignorant first! (nyah nyah) I thought I posted but I don't see it. Is this thread locked already?

And those of you who think this board is moderated from an Ivory Tower need to get out more often. Since we are dispensing with manners.
edit: spelling

[ April 29, 2004, 01:26 AM: Message edited by: pooka ]

T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
::shakes head::

I give up. Lets unleash hell on each other over an issue that you people just can't bite your pride on. Not a single one of you can lay down your pride, its always this and that, I'm going to point this out. Stop. Let it go. Calm down. Be civil. ALL OF YOU. Every single person in this thread who has shown any kind of anger, intentional rudeness, or condesending attitudes, please, calm down. If you have any reason to, than do so for me.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cedrios
Member # 1744

- posted      Profile for Cedrios   Email Cedrios         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm posting this because the email to Lalo is blocked. I don't post much anymore here nor do I think I will frequent this place as much I used to, sometimes reconciliation is not a viable option for either side of a conflict, and my case is certainly one as gauged from the hostility of the thread this problem arose in. I have no grudges against anyone at this board, and, whether I deserve it or not, I certainly have no concern to waste my time attempting to fill the demonic role many of you relagate me to.

Lalo/Eddie/Daedalus: For the record yes I reported John for the obscene pictures that violated more than 7 terms of the user's agreement. The main problem with the picture is not that he posted it, but that he has posted it on more than 4 seperate occasions over his time here, each time having the mods delete it because he refused to even though I asked him privately via email each time. I suppose I can't prove to you it was 4 since you obviously don't trust me and since each time the picture-link was deleted. I don't know if this is why he was banned, but I know that extremely offensive images of myself kept and fervently reposted over and over again in a quasi-stalkerish fashion really creeps me out.

Also, please stop spreading the lie that I made death threats to any members of the board. One it's not true as there would have been serious legal implications if there was any shred of truth to it and two: the situation you're talking about started out with Slash inviting me to fight him because I apparently pissed him off, and because I did not overtly and abase myself to him it was interpreted as hostility, which over time morphed with the lovely Modus Operandi of gossip into a death threat against first him, and then John after the first time I asked John to remove the picture. Whether or not you believe this is immaterial as, at the very least, there is no documentation to support anything like a threat on my part at all. I know you personally dislike me to the point of demonizing me more than anyone can count on this site but I hope you are honest enough to realize you are taking this too far.

[Edit]Eddie:
Whether or not you think I have violated the user's agreement in the past is not relevant to this dicussion.

[further Edit]At the very least the fact that there was no legal action pursused by either of the people you claim that I made a death threat to should give you pause before start throwing those accusations around as loosely and abolsutely as you are. If you have seen any threat with my name attached you have indeed seen a forgery.

As for the picture itself, as I said, I don't know if that was the reason he was banned but it certainly meets every single one of the "bad" conditions under the user's agreement, so I will change my above "7" to a "10." Personally I don't care about your speculations on John's character, the image bothers me and it is a recurring problem. If it seems stalkerish to me then maybe he shouldn't have reposted it so many times.

[further edit]For everyone concenred with how I am somehow posting again after being banned, I would like to point out that though things were at one point very touchy between myself and the moderators, I do not remember ever being banned from this site ever, if I have been gone for long periods of time it was by my own accord.

[ April 29, 2004, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: Cedrios ]

Posts: 3592 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Yes, pooka. I'm saying that that was Eddie's point in that particular post.
pooka
Member # 5003

For T! [Monkeys]
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*applauds Nate*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
edit: removed to respect T's request.

[ April 29, 2004, 01:30 AM: Message edited by: fugu13 ]

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Khavanon - I've always wanted to say that about Hobbes, but couldn't find the right words. I love that sig, it is his way of saying, today is the worst day of my life, but that can only mean that tomorrow will be a better day. [Smile]

Kat - Yes, the "reading up" comment is rude. You probably feel that had someone else pointed it out they would not be criticized as much, and I'm not sure you would be wrong in feeling that way.

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Take it to e-mail, fugu.

Beren: Thanks. I do think that. It was in response to my wondering why that is that the explanation of me being able to take care of myself was given.

[ April 29, 2004, 01:31 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Hobbes
Member # 433

Beren nailed it. [Blushing]

Thanks for finding a good coherent sentance when I was going to do a whole landmark on it. [Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Ignoring what Ced is saying about the death threats,which I don't know, if everything else he's saying is true,then I support the ban on Leto/John, whatever. If he was asked to take remove them four times and he wouldn't, then Leto chose his fate.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
*wipes brow*

"Pheww! Glad that's over!"

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

I really don't think it matters if we support or don't support it. If we're as riled up about it as RRR appears to be we can leave the forum (which is all that's necessary RRR, you don't have to be official banned, just don't post). However, it's not our living room to kick people out of or invite back people that the home owners don't want here.

Hobbes [Smile]

Lara
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for Lara   Email Lara         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, guys
Posts: 377 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
i think there are a couple things to remember here.

1. John does not know why he was banned.

2. John has not asked to be allowed back in.

3. This thread was started by someone who felt that Johns worth to this community outweighed any minor transgressions he may have committed.

that is all.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

Lara,

how'd the trip go?

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
The problem, Hobbes, is that that is a bad way to run a forum. No one is saying that this isn't private property, blah,blah, blah. But people form attachments to other people here, and out of respect for the feelings of the people onthis forum, out of respect for the friendships that are formed here, to avoid hurt feelings, for the reason of common politeness, I think the mods here can do as Ornerymod did on Ornery and at least let people know in general what's going on.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khavanon
Member # 929

You become so attached to something like this that it's hard to think that it isn't ours.
Hobbes
Member # 433

Ohh I agree, I don't think the Mods would mind (though I don't actually know) if people just stated the reasons they think Leto should be let back, I was merely worried about the rather heated (if expected) turn this thread took/was taking. My point was that in the end, it's their desicion what constitutes getting thrown out of the living room, and making a big huff about it I'm sure doesn't endure the whole rest of the living room party to them.

Hobbes [Smile]

Leonide
Member # 4157

It is ours. Without us, it wouldn't exist.

You can't make proclamations without explanation and expect your subjects to be okay with being in the dark. This isn't war, we don't need to be kept unaware of important information for our safety.

As members of this community, the ones that keep it alive, all we ask is an explanation. If they chose not to give it, that's their choice.

but how can you expect compliance without explanation?

Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
John L wasn't a newbie, he was previously Leto II and GreNME. Okay, well if it was the words on the picture and they constituted what would look to a jury like a threat, we are still looking a something Hatrack could be liable for.
quote:
No, pooka, we're not.

No threats were made, no stalking (?) was committed. Cedrios' picture entered the public domain, thus it's perfectly legal to save a copy yourself -- adding an insult, no matter how juvenile, has no connotations of a crime, much less legal action, much less legal action Hatrack would be responsible for.

I'd suggest reading up on the subject.

quote:
One begins to see why John L has disavowed Lalo's spirited defense of him.
quote:
kat, it's okay. If Lalo has the same respect for me as himself... well, I'll just say I'm not offended.
quote:
Lalo, it was probably the "try reading up on it" which was both sarcastic and implied that I am ignorant. Then you implied we had acquired our manners in college, which is also offensive but only in a laughable way.
Pooka, I'd offer my apologies, but I'm not sure they merit this situation. By the very nature of your speculation as to whether John's albeit-juvenile post consitutes a threat and/or stalking, you are ignorant of the fundamental legal requisites of such charges. I corrected your mistake, then suggested you read up on the subject to avoid future mistakes.

Nothing I said was inappropriate or rude -- all of my posting on this thread has been of the highest quality courtesy, a basic decency both you and Kat have ignored. I don't know if you genuinely believe you're under persecution from me, or simply went along with the rudeness charge Kat insisted exists -- though she has yet to substantiate her constant libel -- but in either case, you're incorrect. And as your posts above show, you've actually been fairly hypocritical as regards this thread, demanding justice for my imagined slight from one side of your mouth and insulting me from the other.

I won't ask an apology, but I do request that you think through a charge before you make it. Just because Kat tells you I'm being rude to you is no reason to believe it without subsequent verification -- verification you've yet to provide, beyond a charge of asking you to read up on the subject you were rather clearly incorrect on. I'll continue with the same courtesy I've shown you throughout this thread -- I ask only that you show me some modicum of the same.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

I think it's just priceless that the ad under this thread is for The Pearl of Anton
An Exciting New Fantasy Novel! A Boy Must Save the World from Doom!

[ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL]

Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm more partial to:

MIGHTY BANNERS "Try free, buy only if you like it. Make Banners for your Website Now."

Somehow ironic, and punny even.

Feyd Baron, DoC

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

leonide,

can I ask you a question?

fallow

Leonide
Member # 4157

yes.

now i'm going to bed.

oh, did you mean *another* question?

[Smile]

[ April 29, 2004, 01:57 AM: Message edited by: Leonide ]

fallow
Member # 6268

[Sleep]

sleep tight.

where did Lara get to?

fallow

fallow
Member # 6268

I have another question, also.
Leonide
Member # 4157

shoot.

and i mean that in the good way

fallow
Member # 6268

*rubs leonide's noggin*

"sleep tight, cheeky*

[Sleep]

fallow

Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Where'd that Catfight thread go?
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

I accidentally ate it when I had a craving for tuna
fallow
Member # 6268

*HISSSSSSSSS*

*claws at Jenny*

fallow

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  8  9  10   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.