FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » John's been banned? Kristine, Kathryn, you've made a mistake. (Page 7)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: John's been banned? Kristine, Kathryn, you've made a mistake.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You are, of course, welcome to your own opinion, Eddie. That I disagree should be obvious. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
GreNME is the forum for people who really, really dislike Cedrios and want to talk about how Hatrack isn't what it used to be.
I think there might be a few threads about this, but if you actually looked at each thread topic, how many of them are "gossip" topics about any other forum? There are some, but they don't rule the forum.
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Scotch bonnets, mm. . .

Cut them up with avocados and spring onions and limes and two ripe plum tomatoes. . .

I love hot peppers.

And I always will.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds yummy to me, Scott.
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I know it's bad taste to bring this up, but I'm dying to know.

I wrote this long post in fugu's thread about Kat, and mentioned that as long as the thread was deleted I didn't care of my post went with it.

Well, I lied. I want to know if fugu deleted it, himself, or if it got deleted by the Mods.

It just took a bloody long time to write, and I want to know if it ascended into Hatrack heaven forever without a trace of it's existence, or if it actually helped the situation.

(Not that this inquiry would be helping the situation, or anything.)

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't see it before that thread was removed so I can personally testify that it was lost on me...
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Ralphie, when I read it, I was faintly terrified at being so easily seen through, cried all over a wonderful friend who also read it, and was impressed beyond words with your wisdom and succintness.

I was wondering by whom it was deleted as well, but didn't want to ask. I really, really, really don't want a post-mortem discussion of the quite mortemed thread. But I was wondering who made it go away.

Added: I don't know what happened to or by anyone else because of it. I saved a copy of it. The thread was alive until 8:30 or so this morning. It didn't impress everyone. At least one person was very defensive. But I don't know anything about the decision to make it dissapear.

[ April 30, 2004, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Oh, good Kat. I'm glad it helped at least that much. I was worried I may have not quite hit the nail on the head, and I'm relieved I was at least accurate.

Still wanna know, though. [Smile]

edit: "At least one person was very defensive."

By my post?

[ April 30, 2004, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I'll bet it was Banna.

Added: Well...not convinced and defensive. Yeah. Not the creator of the thread.

[ April 30, 2004, 04:35 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Oh, well. At least I thought I was right. [Razz]
Dante
Member # 1106

- posted      Profile for Dante           Edit/Delete Post 
I hate everyone at Hatrack.

Especially you.

Posts: 1068 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

*grin* I can't remember how many posted after, but you're running at least 7:1.

Great post, by the way.

Ralphie
Member # 1565

Your hate is just a mask for your barely restrained lust for me, Dante.

Do admit it.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
You were right.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Man, I need to rile some of you up, so you all can terrify me. It's been a long time since I had a good clean fright, or even a somewhat musty mildewed scare.

Heck, I'd take a run-through-the-mud-5-times, sprayed-by-a-skunk creeping horror at this point.

-Bok, not nearly cerebellummed enough by fellow Jatraqueros

EDIT: I always get annoyed when I know I've missed a thread here. [Smile]

[ April 30, 2004, 04:41 PM: Message edited by: Bokonon ]

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
cerebellummed
You have con-foo-zed me.
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
"Why-I-oughta BRAIN yaz..."

is that what you meant, Bok?

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Can I see Toni's post Kat?
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
kat isn't very familiar with the TGS, I guess.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

No, Jim, that merely "weirded me out". There was no scare there.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Xav, I sure don't mind, but I don't want to really stretch everything out. It's Toni's post, though. If you want it and she wants to give it to you, I'll send e-mail to various points in cyberspace. It's on the home computer, though. I couldn't until later tonight.

quote:
TGS
The Ghost Society? Timothy's Gotham Swing? Tight Glutes Soon? The Geek Simulation?
Bokonon
Member # 480

Teen to the Girl to the Squad.

Hunh.

It's a Homestar Runner reference [Smile]

-Bok

Ralphie
Member # 1565

I don't mind if you don't mind, Kat.
katharina
Member # 827

I don't mind. Do you have it, or do you want me to e-mail it?
katharina
Member # 827

*sigh* Homestarruner. To stay culturally literate, I may soon need to actually read those e-mails. I haven't so far because I don't have sound at work, and at home, I always seem to be distracted.

[ April 30, 2004, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Bokonon
Member # 480

Just go to the web site. Watch the "First Time" cartoon, well, first. Then check out the emails.

-Bok

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Shares with Bok in the deja-thread frustration.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I did not delete it, I was at a volunteerism conference all day. I had contemplated deleting it, though not for the reasons many will think, but if I had done so I would have posted something, and saved a copy of everything posted.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Interesting. Now I'm curiouser... not that it does a lot of good. I'm just happy to be here, in Hatrack, behaving civilly.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Five e-mails down, 96 to go.

"For good or for awesome" is wonderful.

But the latest one wasn't nearly as funny. *ducks*

Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
That amount of emails to respond to would drive me up the wall. [Eek!]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

fugu - Okay. I was just curious. Thanks for answering my question. [Smile]

Kat - I didn't save a copy of anything.

katharina
Member # 827

Okay, I'll e-mail it to Xav and copy you on it.
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a copy of it and could post it right now if you want me to.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Please don't.

No post-mortem. It's gone for a reason. The mods deleted the thread for a reason.

[ April 30, 2004, 07:35 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay [Smile]
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

[Smile] [Smile]
pooka
Member # 5003

I found an easter egg. After the green paper scrolls down, click on the first "hot girl" and you'll get a funny surprise. That reminds me oddly of a painting I sent my one missionary boyfriend.
Bokonon
Member # 480

There are tons of Easter eggs.

TONS.

Sometimes there are Easter eggs in the Easter eggs!

-Bok

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Unmaker
Member # 1641

posted April 29, 2004 10:26 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't know what damn use this is, since I've mainly just been lurking for months now, but this calls for a DB strike. Any place that embraces Cedrios over John is a place I need to stay the hell away from. So, for now, I'll be seeing you guys.

Adios.
quote:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, I'm sorry to see anyone else leave over this, but I think that is a gross overstatement.

I can't find one post here that says anything good about Cedrios, and something bad about John other than what he and his supporters admit to.

If you constantly violate the User Agreement, and continue to post item that the mods warn you about (and remove), what do you expect happen. Does John have the right to act in ways that violate the principles of this site?

I prefer John to Ced, hands down, but if this is a fair representation of what happened, then what is all the fuss about? Break the rules, pay the price. Same rules for everyone.....sounds fair to me.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
The rules are not applied the same to everyone.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Rakeesh, they certainly do their best. Even I get in trouble when I do stupid things here.
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Geoff,

I agree, Geoff. And really, while I do sometimes wish the rules would be applied more evenly-and I say that fully aware that if they were I have stood a good chance of being banned or at least disciplined in some form at times in the past-I certainly understand why they aren't.

I mean, they don't get paid for one thing. More than that, they actually pay themselves-in time and money and effort-to keep the forum up and running. So I suppose to have someone like me complaining about enforcement consistency must be irritating to say the least, which is why I say I 'wish' they were applied more evenly (sometimes), but I don't at all expect it, and that wish doesn't in any way lessen the gratitude I feel for the forum and its upkeep.

J4

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
You also have to realize that the outcome of a dispute between the moderators and a forum member are USUALLY the result of private dealings between the two parties over a long period of time. If someone commits a violation and is sincerely apologetic, they're not getting banned unless the violation was truly unspeakable. If someone commits a violation and is rude and unyielding about it (not that John is ever rude or unyielding [Smile] ), then their banning is far more likely.

Also, if someone has already been annoying the moderators by generally acting like a jerk over a long period of time, they are much less likely to get mercy for a violation.

I know nothing about John's case, so I'm not accusing him of anything. I am mostly just addressing any general perception that the administration of bannings is arbitrary or unfair. The moderators deliberately DO NOT DISCUSS the reasoning behind their decisions, considering it to be a privacy issue. So if someone gets banned and you hear rumors that it was unfair and unwarranted, realize that you are not getting the full story, and never will, specifically because the moderators are so conscientious about protecting the bannee's privacy. So try to give them the benefit of the doubt.

If anything, the moderators sometimes feel that they are too lax, given the treatment they often receive from self-righteous violators.

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

For my part, I can't figure out why I haven't been banned yet.

I've insulted Mormonism, scoffed at modern and traditional parenting, bashed Republicans, denigrated women, taken a blood oath to destroy civilization as we know it...

And I like Cold Mountain.

[ May 01, 2004, 09:46 AM: Message edited by: Scott R ]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Taht last one would be enough for me.... [Evil]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

I'm not speaking about rumors or innuendo, Geoff. I am just saying that-in my opinion-there are other people who have behaved worse and done more damage, but have not been banned. That is, ultimately, the point I'm trying to make.

I know the moderators are volunteers (moreso, since they pay for this themselves), and I know that one of them is your parent and the other is a family friend, and I know that you've got a beef with John (and I probably would've known that even if I didn't frequent Hatrack [Smile] ), and I understand why the moderators do not comment.

But my irritation that an offense against Cedrios, of all people, was the 'straw that broke the camel's back' in this case still remains. Because, in my blunt opinion, Kevin deserved it.

Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
And I like Cold Mountian

Taht last one would be enough for me....

Of course. You can't spell the word 'that.' I can't expect you, illiterate as you are, to understand the true beauty and high literary merit of such a work as Cold Mountain.

Go back to reading your. . . Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, or what have you, then.

Go on now, there's a dear. Shoo.

[ May 01, 2004, 09:52 AM: Message edited by: Scott R ]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Scott, it's spelled "shoe." If you're going to correct someone's spelling, you better spell everything right yourself.

Dagonee
P.S. [Taunt]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Rakeesh,

If this were the type of board where violations of the TOS against those who "deserved it" were tolerated, I wouldn't stay long. Not that that's a big loss, but arbitrariness bugs me.

Dagonee

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.